In case you’ve seen our article about the best VPNs, you know that ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN lead when it comes to today’s most capable VPN services. In fact, we’re sure that you’ll have a very hard time choosing between these two, which is why we’ve published this guide. By checking various aspects of each of these VPNs and comparing those aspects directly, you’ll see many subtleties that will tell you which one you need to use. So, without further ado, welcome to our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison!
Before we start, here are a few words on what to expect from these VPNs. As our ExpressVPN review will tell you, this option provides a solution to your every problem. It protects your data in the best way possible, lets you access restricted websites, and plenty more. However, the same could be said for its competitor. Our CyberGhost VPN review tells you that aside from some minor drawbacks, this can also be a perfect VPN solution. This only tells us that we need to go in-depth when comparing these.
We’ll begin our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison by providing two tables. First, let’s compare some of the most important features of these VPN services.
|Jurisdiction||The British Virgin Islands||Romania|
|Logs||No logs collected.||No logs collected.|
|Number of Servers||3,000+ servers in 90+ countries.||5,700+ servers in 90 countries.|
|Encryption Standards||AES-256; OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPsec.||AES-256; OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPsec.|
|Speed Reduction||19%, on average.||40%, on average.|
|Supported Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Web browsers, and routers.||Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Web browsers, and routers.|
The following table lists individual scores of various aspects of these two VPNs – based on their respective reviews. With this said, you can use it to check both strong and weak aspects of these VPN services.
|Ease of Use||10/10||9/10|
|Security & Privacy||10/10||10/10|
|Speed & Performance||9/10||6/10|
And finally, it’s time to dive deep into our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN review. Make sure to stick with us until the end of this article, and you’ll get to learn all there’s to know!
ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN – Which One’s Better?
You already know that this is going to be an intense battle. Both of these are considered to be the best of what today’s VPNs offer. So, let’s go ahead and dive into our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison.
Background, Jurisdiction & Reputation
The first category of this comparison is related to these VPNs’ background facts. Let’s see where they come from, under whose jurisdiction they operate, and what all that means for their users:
- ExpressVPN: This VPN service comes from the British Virgin Islands. Sounds exotic, right? Well, know that this country wasn’t chosen by accident. It comes with no mandatory data retention laws and it is outside of major international intelligence networks, like the 5-Eyes Alliance. However, ExpressVPN took this one step further and got audit by an independent party. This means that in terms of your privacy and security, you probably won’t find a better option than ExpressVPN.
- CyberGhost VPN: Next, we have a VPN that comes from Romania. This is a member country of the European Union, known for its rigorous GDRP (privacy-friendly) laws. Today, this VPN is owned by Kape Technologies, coming from the Isle of Man. This same company owns ZenMate VPN as well (another high-rated VPN). Despite its complicated corporate structure, we believe that CyberGhost VPN can be trusted with your private and sensitive data.
Winner: It’s hard to pick a winner of our first category – as you won’t make a mistake no matter which one you pick. However, we have to note that ExpressVPN takes the lead here due to its country of origin.
Supported Platforms & Devices
Do you want to use a VPN on your computer? Or maybe you want it on your smartphone, media streaming player, or on a router? That’s why it’s important to know which platforms (and how many) are covered by a single subscription.
- ExpressVPN: You can use ExpressVPN on just about any device imaginable. We’re talking about all of the currently popular desktop and mobile platforms. Then, there are Web browser extensions, as well as apps for Fire OS, Kindle Fire, and more. And also, if you plan on installing on a VPN on a router, know that ExpressVPN offers such functionality. Of course, we also recommend checking the best VPN routers on your own. Finally, know that ExpressVPN can be used on up to 5 devices at the same time.
- CyberGhost VPN: Everything we said about its direct competitor also applies to this VPN. It comes with native apps for computers, smartphones, media streaming devices, and even routers are on offer. The only difference here is that you can use CyberGhost VPN on up to 7 devices at once.
Winner: Due to the fact that CyberGhost VPN allows 7 simultaneous connections, it becomes the winner of this category. Both of these offer native apps across the board, though.
Installation & Initial Configuration
Next, our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison will tell you about the process of installation of these VPNs. Ideally, you’ll want a VPN that can installed by complete newbies, without any unwanted distractions.
- ExpressVPN: Once you sign-up for ExpressVPN, you’ll get to access your online dashboard. From there, you can easily download apps for various platforms, and then install them on your own. This VPN also offers a convenient log-in code that you can use, so you can avoid typing your username and password. All in all, it comes with a very streamlined installation process.
- CyberGhost VPN: After getting your subscription, this VPN allows you to download its installation files from the official website. You can also log-in to your account if you’d like to review your information. Either way, download the installation file and install the application like you normally would. CyberGhost VPN also offers handy guides for various platforms, so we’re sure you won’t have any problems with setting up this VPN.
Winner: Both ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN come with similar installation methods – equally simple and user-friendly. Therefore, when it comes to this category, we’ll call it a tie.
You already know that both of these are incredibly powerful VPN solutions. So, let’s take a closer look at unique features and see what sets these VPNs apart from the rest.
- ExpressVPN: It’s safe to say that this VPN brings everything you could possibly expect from a powerful VPN solution. There are different levels of data leak protection, in addition to a nice range of VPN protocols. ExpressVPN also offers split tunneling as well as something called TrustedServer. This feature eliminates the need for hard drives in this VPNs’ servers, preventing it from logging any of your personal data. The only thing that’s missing is an ad-blocker.
- CyberGhost VPN: During the last couple of years, this VPN grew into an incredibly powerful solution. In other words, you can expect a series of unique features such as HTTP redirecting, image (data) compression, split-tunneling, ad-blocking, and plenty more. It’s hard to imagine finding a more capable VPN service.
Winner: Even the most advanced users are going to love these two VPN services. However, CyberGhost VPN takes the win here as it comes with a large number of unique (and highly useful) features.
Before you reach the final decision, it’s important to know how many servers you’ll get to use. We’ll tell you about the size of these VPNs’ server network and their reach.
- ExpressVPN: If you decide to get this VPN’s subscription, you’ll get to use over 3,000 servers spread across more than 90 countries. All of these servers help you hide your private data and unblock a whole series of websites. We’re sure that no matter where you’re located, you’ll manage to find a nearby server bringing speedy performance.
- CyberGhost VPN: During the last year, this VPN was focused on growing its server network. Today, it comes with more than 5,700 servers in 90 countries. There’s an army of specialized servers for various types of online activities.
Winner: It’s true that ExpressVPN should meet the needs of even the most demanding users. However, CyberGhost VPN comes first here since it nearly doubles the number of servers that its competitor offers.
Ease of Use
We are sure that you want a user-friendly VPN solution. However, you won’t want anything overly limiting. Instead, it needs to be flexible enough to accommodate the needs of advanced users as well.
- ExpressVPN: One of the best things about ExpressVPN is that it brings a unified design across all its apps. On desktop platforms, it comes with a mobile-friendly UI that’s incredibly easy to use. Just pick a server, and ExpressVPN will do the rest. However, you can also dive deeper into checking various options and making sure this VPN works the way you want.
- CyberGhost VPN: Upon the initial launch, this VPN shows a mobile-friendly UI as well. However, depending on your needs, you can expand this UI into a fully-featured VPN application. There are various ways to fine-tune this application, as well as different ways to take full advantage of your Web connection. All in all, we believe that both beginners and advanced users are going to love what’s on offer here.
Winner: Once again, it’s very hard to pick a winner between these two. Even though they bring different types of interfaces, both of these are suitable for an incredibly wide range of users.
Media Streaming & Torrenting Support
We understand that for many of you, media streaming is crucial. That’s why we believe this segment to be one of the most important parts of our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison.
- ExpressVPN: You’ll hardly find a better solution for website unblocking and media streaming than ExpressVPN. It easily unblocks various versions of Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video. It also unblocks a huge variety of websites, even in countries like China. And also, let’s not forget that ExpressVPN is P2P-friendly, which means that you can download torrents with no limitations.
- CyberGhost VPN: Aside from unblocking the world’s most popular streaming platforms, this VPN is specialized in unblocking regional websites as well. We’re talking about streaming services such as SkyGo, ZDF, Globo, TF1, ARD, and many others. It also offers a whole army of P2P servers that you can use to download torrents.
Winner: Both of these are the best of what today’s VPNs offer – in terms of media streaming. However, ExpressVPN has proven its worth by working even in the most restrictive of countries, like China. Therefore, it wins this round.
Security & Privacy
We shouldn’t forget about the primary role of VPN services. These are made to keep you secure online by using various types of VPN protocols and encryption. Here’s what you need to know about ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN.
- ExpressVPN: This VPN offers a series of capable VPN protocols with OpenVPN leading the pack. This is the most secure VPN protocol available, with no known vulnerabilities. And OpenVPN also provides the ability to use this VPN on routers. In terms of encryption, you’ll get the most secure type of encryption commercially available – AES 256-bit. ExpressVPN also includes a kill-switch that prevents data leaks if the secure connection becomes unstable. And also, it comes free of any data leaks, as per our rigorous tests.
- CyberGhost VPN: You’ve already recognized the pattern of this article, and this segment is part of that pattern. CyberGhost VPN matches the offer of its competitor by using a series of capable VPN protocols, with OpenVPN included. There are no data leaks, you get AES-256 encryption, and there’s no data logging.
Winner: In all honesty, there’s no way to pick a winner of this category. No matter if you decide to use ExpressVPN or CyberGhost VPN, you can be sure that your private data won’t get into the wrong hands.
Speed & Performance
Interestingly enough, we come to a segment of our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison where it’s easy to pick a winner. Keep on reading to learn more.
- ExpressVPN: As per our hands-on tests, this VPN slowed us down by 19% on average. This is one of the best results we’ve gotten out of any VPN, and we’ve tested dozens of different options. This makes us sure that no matter what kind of online activity you’ll stick to, you’ll get amazing performance. This should be important especially for the fans of media streaming.
- CyberGhost VPN: On average, this VPN slowed us down by 40% on average. This is what you could usually expect out of an average VPN service, and we’re disappointed to see CyberGhost VPN not taking full advantage of this aspect.
Winner: ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs around, and we’re completely sure that you’re going to be happy with its performance. Therefore, we pick this VPN as the winner of this category.
VPNs are powered by high-end technologies and these are highly technical solutions. Therefore, something can occasionally go wrong – and this is why you’ll need a VPN with reliable customer support.
- ExpressVPN: No matter if you want to chat live, send an email, or check various self-help resources, ExpressVPN will answer your questions. This VPN is also dedicated to informing their customers about the latest achievements in VPN-related technologies as well as about the dangers of today’s digital world. All in all, being a customer of ExpressVPN, you’ll definitely feel valued and appreciated.
- CyberGhost VPN: This VPN has done plenty in the past year to improve its customer support. There’s a live chat, email support, official support tickets, and plenty of self-help material. Just like its competitor, CyberGhost VPN also comes with a frequently updated blog and stays in touch with its customers.
Winner: No matter which of these two VPNs you pick, you can count on having a team of customer support agents waiting on your question.
Finally, let’s see how much you need to spend on these VPNs. And also, we’ll tell you which of these brings better value for its price.
- ExpressVPN: This isn’t the most affordable VPN out there. However, you’ll be spending your money wisely. And most importantly, you don’t have to be afraid to get its long-term plans, letting you save a lot of money in the process. It’s priced at $12.95 per month, but you can get it for $6.67 per month via its annual plan (a one-time purchase of $99.95). You can count on a 30-day money-back guarantee and various types of payment options.
- CyberGhost VPN: This VPN is priced at $12.99 per month, but its price goes down if you pick a long-term plan. If you buy its annual plan, the price goes down to $5.99 per month and we think this is an amazing offer. What’s unique about CyberGhost VPN is the fact it comes with a 36-month plan, priced at $2.75 per month. You also get a 1-day trial on desktop platforms and Android and a 1-day trial on iOS.
Winner: Even though CyberGhost VPN is slightly more affordable than its competitor, we believe that ExpressVPN takes the win in this case. It brings plenty of value for the price and also includes everything you’ll ever need out of a VPN service.
ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN – Which One Should You Pick?
So, with everything said and done, the big question remains – which of these is better? In all honesty, you’ll be perfectly happy with both of these. They truly are the best VPNs right now in many aspects, but let’s admit it – there can only be one winner. And we don’t have a single doubt here – you should pick ExpressVPN.
Even though its competitor comes with more servers and several additional features, ExpressVPN comes with unparalleled performance. It protects your data in the best and most secure way possible, unblocks websites, and makes you anonymous online. And it’s doing all of that in style, as it comes with brilliantly designed applications that are available on many platforms. So, go ahead and check out ExpressVPN on your own.
Dear readers, this is where we conclude our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison. Finally, we’d like to ask you to share this article online. You can also follow us via our social media profiles, on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks!