In case you’ve seen our article on the best VPNs available right now, you know that ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN lead when it comes to today’s most capable VPN services. In fact, we’re sure that you’ll have a very hard time choosing between these the two, which is the reason why we’ve published this guide.
By checking various aspects of each of these VPNs and comparing those aspects directly, you’ll see many subtleties that will tell you which one you need to use. So, without further ado, welcome to our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison!
Before we start, here are a few words on what to expect from these VPNs. As our ExpressVPN review will tell you, this option provides a solution to your every problem. It protects your data in the best way possible, lets you access restricted websites, and plenty more.
However, the same could be said for its direct competitor. Our CyberGhost VPN review tells you that aside from some minor drawbacks, this can also be a perfect VPN solution. This only tells us that we need to go in-depth when comparing these two VPNs.
We’ll begin our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison by providing two tables. First, let’s compare some of the most vital features of these VPN services.
|Jurisdiction||The British Virgin Islands||Romania|
|Logs||No logs collected.||No logs collected.|
|Number of Servers||3,000+ servers in 90+ countries.||6,700+ servers in 90 countries.|
|Encryption Standards||AES-256; OpenVPN, Lightway, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2, PPTP.||AES-256; OpenVPN, IKEv2, WireGuard.|
|Speed Reduction||44.7%, on average.||58.7%, on average.|
|Supported Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Web browsers, routers, and media streaming devices.||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and routers.|
The following table lists individual scores of various aspects of these two VPNs – based on their respective reviews. With that said, you can use it to check both the strongest and weakest points of ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN.
|Background, Jurisdiction & Reputation||10/10||9/10|
|Supported Platforms & Devices||10/10||10/10|
|Installation & Initial Configuration||10/10||10/10|
|Server Count & Infrastructure||8.5/10||10/10|
|UI/UX Design & Ease of Use||10/10||9/10|
|Media Streaming & Torrenting Support||10/10||10/10|
|Security & Privacy||10/10||10/10|
|Speed & Performance||8.5/10||8/10|
And finally, it’s time to dive deep into our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison. Make sure to stick with us until the end of this article, and you’ll get to learn all there’s to know!
ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN (2021) – Which Of These VPNs Is Better?
You already know this is going to be an intense battle. Both of these are considered to be the best of what today’s VPNs offer. So, let’s dive into our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison.
Table of Contents
Background, Jurisdiction & Reputation
The first category of this ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison is related to these VPNs’ background checks. Let’s see where they come from, under whose jurisdiction they operate, and what all that means for their users.
- ExpressVPN: This VPN service comes from the British Virgin Islands. Sounds exotic, right? Well, know that this country wasn’t chosen by accident. It comes with no mandatory data retention laws and it is outside of major international intelligence networks, including the 5/9/14-Eyes Alliance. However, ExpressVPN took this one step further and got audited by an independent party. This means that in terms of your privacy and security, you probably won’t find a better option than ExpressVPN.
- CyberGhost VPN: Next, we have a VPN that comes from Romania. This is a member-country of the European Union, known for its rigorous GDPR (privacy-friendly) laws. Today, this VPN is owned by Kape Technologies, coming from the Isle of Man. That same company owns ZenMate VPN and Private Internet Access. Despite its complicated corporate structure, we still believe that CyberGhost VPN can be trusted with your private and sensitive data (at least until proven otherwise).
Winner: It’s hard to pick a winner of our first category – as you won’t make a mistake no matter which of these VPNs you pick. However, we have to note that ExpressVPN takes the lead here due to its (privacy-friendly) country of origin.
Supported Platforms & Devices
Do you want to use a VPN on your computer? Or maybe you want it on your phone, media streaming device, or even on a router? That’s why it’s important to know which platforms (and how many) are covered by a single subscription.
|Desktop Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome OS.||Windows, macOS, Linux.|
|Mobile Platforms||Android, iOS, Amazon Kindle Fire, Nook HD.||Android and iOS.|
|Web Browsers||Chrome, Firefox, Edge.||Chrome, Firefox.|
|Routers||DD-WRT, Tomato, and more.||DD-WRT, Tomato, and more.|
|Other Devices||Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and more.||Raspberry Pi, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, and more.|
- ExpressVPN: You can use ExpressVPN on just about any device imaginable. We’re talking about all of the currently popular desktop and mobile platforms. Then, there are Web browser extensions, as well as apps for Fire OS, Kindle Fire, and more. And also, if you plan on installing a VPN on a router, know that ExpressVPN offers such functionality. Of course, we also recommend checking the best VPN routers on your own. Finally, know that ExpressVPN can be used on up to 5 devices at the same time.
- CyberGhost VPN: Everything said about its direct competitor also applies to this VPN. It comes with native apps for computers, smartphones, media streaming devices, and even routers are on offer. The only difference here is that you can use CyberGhost VPN on up to 7 devices at once.
Winner: Due to the fact that CyberGhost VPN allows 7 simultaneous connections, it becomes the winner of this category. Both of these offer native apps across the board, though.
Installation & Initial Configuration
Next, our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison will tell you about the process of installation of these VPNs. Ideally, you’ll want a VPN that can be installed even by complete newbies, without any unwanted distractions.
- ExpressVPN: Once you sign-up for ExpressVPN, you’ll get to access your online dashboard. From there, you can download apps for various types of platforms and then install them on your own. This VPN also offers a convenient log-in (activation) code that you can use, so you can avoid typing your username and password. All in all, it comes with a very streamlined installation process.
- CyberGhost VPN: After getting your subscription, this VPN allows you to download its installation files from the official website. You can also log-in to your account if you’d like to review your information and get to know your subscription a bit better. Either way, download the installation file and install the application like you normally would. CyberGhost VPN also offers handy guides for various platforms, so we’re sure you won’t have any problems setting up this VPN.
You already know that both of these are incredibly powerful VPN solutions. So, let’s take a closer look at their features and see what sets these VPNs apart from the rest.
|DNS Leak Protection||YES||YES|
|IPv6 Leak Protection||YES||YES|
|Unlimited Server Switches||YES||YES|
- ExpressVPN: It’s safe to say that this VPN brings everything you could expect from a powerful VPN solution. There are different levels of data leak protection, in addition to a nice range of VPN protocols (including ExpressVPN’s proprietary Lightway protocol). This VPN offers split tunneling, which comes with a great deal of power and fine-tuning, along with a capable kill-switch. These features can be customized as well, which makes ExpressVPN suitable for both beginners and advanced users.
- CyberGhost VPN: During the last couple of years, this VPN grew into a compelling solution. In other words, you can expect a series of unique features such as HTTP redirecting, image (data) compression, split-tunneling, dedicated IP addresses, and plenty more. However, some of those features are half-baked, such as CyberGhost’s ad-blocking, which is useful in certain situations only. Still, it’s hard to imagine finding a more capable VPN service.
Winner: Even the most advanced users are going to love these two (incredibly powerful) VPN services. Still, CyberGhost VPN comes out on top here as it comes with certain features that its competitor doesn’t offer (such as ad-blocking and dedicated IPs, for example).
Before you reach the final decision, it’s important to know how many servers you’ll get to use. Therefore, we’ll tell you about the size of these VPNs’ server networks and their reach.
|Number of Servers||3,000+||6,700+|
|Number of Locations||160||110+|
|Number of Countries||94||90|
|Specific Cities Selection||YES||YES|
- ExpressVPN: If you decide to get this VPN subscription, you’ll get to use over 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries. All of these servers help you hide your private data and unblock a whole range of websites. On top of that, those servers are spread across 160 locations, which means that you can connect to servers in very specific locations, useful for unblocking regional digital platforms.
- CyberGhost VPN: During the last year, this VPN was focused on growing its server network. Today, it comes with more than 6,700 servers in 90 countries. However, this network covers around 110 locations, so not as much as ExpressVPN’s. Still, it’s worth mentioning that CyberGhost VPN also has an army of specialized servers, suitable for streaming, content unblocking, torrenting, and more.
UI/UX Design & Ease of Use
We are sure that you want a user-friendly VPN application. Still, you don’t want anything overly limiting. Instead, your chosen VPN needs to be flexible enough to offer an easy-to-understand interface, without hindering the functionality of its service.
- ExpressVPN: One of the best things about ExpressVPN is that it brings a unified design across all its apps. Even on desktop platforms, it comes with a mobile-like UI that’s incredibly easy to use. Just pick a server (or allow ExpressVPN to find the fastest one, based on your physical location), and the VPN will do the rest. However, you can also dive deeper into checking various options, making sure this VPN works the way you want.
- CyberGhost VPN: Upon the initial launch, this VPN shows a mobile-friendly UI as well. However, depending on your needs, you can expand this UI into a fully-featured VPN application. There are various ways to fine-tune this VPN, as well as different ways to take full advantage of your Web connection. And also, CyberGhost VPN has been receiving plenty of updates lately, further polishing its interface across all of its supported platforms. Therefore, there’s plenty to be hopeful about in the future as well.
Winner: Once again, it’s very hard to pick a winner between these two. Even though they bring different types of interfaces, both of these are suitable for an incredibly wide range of users. Still, if you have no experience with VPNs, you won’t make a mistake if you pick ExpressVPN – as this truly is the most visually polished VPN right now.
Media Streaming & Torrenting Support
We understand that for many of you, media streaming is crucial when looking at VPNs. That’s why we believe this segment to be one of the most important parts of our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison. Here’s what you need to know.
|Amazon Prime Video||YES||YES|
|Torrenting (P2P) Support||YES||YES|
- ExpressVPN: You’ll hardly find a better VPN for website unblocking and media streaming than ExpressVPN. It easily unblocks various versions of Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime Video. It also unblocks a huge variety of websites, even in countries like China. Let’s not forget that ExpressVPN is P2P-friendly, which means that you can download torrents with no limitations (which can be done using any of the VPN’s servers, as they all are P2P-compatible).
- CyberGhost VPN: Aside from unblocking the world’s most popular streaming platforms, this VPN is specialized in unblocking regional media streaming platforms as well. We’re talking about streaming services such as SkyGo, ZDF, Globo, TF1, ARD, and many others. It also offers a whole army of P2P servers that you can use to download torrents.
Security & Privacy
We shouldn’t forget about the primary role of VPN services. These are made to keep you secure online by using various types of VPN protocols and encryption. Here’s what you need to know about ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN.
- ExpressVPN: This VPN offers a series of capable VPN protocols with OpenVPN leading the pack. This is the most secure VPN protocol available, with no known vulnerabilities. And OpenVPN also provides the ability to use this VPN on routers. In terms of the available encryption level, you’ll get the most secure type of encryption commercially available – AES 256-bit. ExpressVPN includes a kill-switch that prevents data leaks if the secure connection becomes unstable. Also, it comes free of any data leaks.
- CyberGhost VPN: You’ve already recognized the pattern of this article, and this segment is part of that pattern. CyberGhost VPN matches the offer of its competitor by using a series of capable VPN protocols, with OpenVPN included. It’s interesting to note that you’ll find WireGuard here as well, which is a new VPN protocol that comes with plenty of promises. There are no data leaks, you get AES-256 encryption, and there’s no data logging.
Speed & Performance
Interestingly enough, we finally come to a segment of our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison where it’s easy to pick a winner. Keep on reading to learn more.
|SPEED REDUCTION||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost VPN|
- ExpressVPN: As per our hands-on tests, this VPN slowed us down by 44.7% on average. However, what’s important is that we didn’t encounter major fluctuations. This means that you won’t find drastic drops in speed and performance if you connect to nearby or remote servers. Overall, we were quite happy with the results of our ExpressVPN speed tests, especially considering the high level of encryption it brings.
- CyberGhost VPN: On average, this VPN slowed us down by 58.7% on average. However, to truly understand CyberGhost’s performance, you need to examine the table found above closely. You’ll see significant fluctuations in performance, depending on whether we’ve tried nearby or remote servers. For example, highly remote server locations slowed us down by 98.6%, which can be a problem for certain users.
VPNs are powered by high-end technologies and these are highly technical solutions. Therefore, something can occasionally go wrong – and this is why you’ll need a VPN with reliable customer support.
- ExpressVPN: No matter if you want to chat live, send an email, or check various self-help resources, ExpressVPN will answer your questions. This VPN is also dedicated to informing their customers about the latest achievements in VPN-related technologies as well as about the dangers of today’s digital world. All in all, being a customer of ExpressVPN, you’ll definitely feel valued and appreciated.
- CyberGhost VPN: This VPN has done plenty in the past year to improve its customer support. There’s live chat available, as well as email support, official support tickets, and plenty of self-help material. Like its competitor, CyberGhost VPN also comes with a frequently updated blog and stays in touch with its customers.
Finally, let’s see how much you need to spend on these VPNs. And also, we’ll tell you which of these brings better value for its price.
- ExpressVPN: This isn’t the most affordable VPN out there, we have to admit. However, you’ll be spending your money very wisely. And most importantly, you don’t have to be afraid to get its long-term plans, letting you save a lot of money in the process. ExpressVPN comes priced at $12.95 per month, but you can get it for $6.67 per month via its annual plan (a one-time purchase of $99.95, which gets you three additional months for free). You can count on a 30-day money-back guarantee and various types of payment options.
- CyberGhost VPN: This VPN is priced at $12.99 per month, but its price goes down if you pick a long-term plan. If you buy its annual plan, the price goes down to $3.99 per month, and we think this is an amazing offer. This VPN also offers a subscription that goes beyond one year. You can save up to 83% by getting its three-year subscription, priced at $2.25/month (which gets you 3 additional months). And on top of that, CyberGhost VPN has a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Winner: Overall, CyberGhost VPN will most certainly appeal to a broader range of users. It’s more affordable than its competitor, especially if you purchase a long-term subscription. However, if you truly want the best, you need to be prepared to pay for it – and that’s why ExpressVPN is still the ultimate choice.
ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN – So, Which of These VPN Should You Pick?
So, after everything said and done, the big question remains – which of these is better? In all honesty, you’ll be perfectly happy with both of these. They truly are the best VPNs right now in many aspects, but let’s admit it – there can only be one winner. And we don’t have a single doubt here – you should pick ExpressVPN.
Even though its competitor comes with more servers and even a couple of unique features, ExpressVPN comes with unparalleled performance. It protects your data in truly the best and the most secure way possible, unblocks websites, and makes you 100% anonymous online.
And it’s doing all of that in style, as it comes with brilliantly designed applications that are available on many platforms and devices. So, go ahead and check out ExpressVPN.
This is where we conclude our ExpressVPN vs CyberGhost VPN comparison. If you have any doubts or questions, know that you can count on us. So, don’t forget to post your comment below. And of course, thanks for reading!