July 3, 2023
Since LG TVs don't support VPN applications natively, you can set up ExpressVPN on your LG TV using a feature called 'MediaStreamer.' You won't be using ExpressVPN's app, but instead, you'll configure your LG TV through its settings to route Internet traffic through ExpressVPN's server, helping you unblock US-based streaming apps on your TV.
Before you get started, we recommend updating your LG TV to run the latest version of WebOS. You can do that by going to Settings > Support > Software Update. Once that's done, use the steps found below to set up ExpressVPN on your LG TV by using the MediaStreamer feature.
To get ExpressVPN to work on your LG TV, you'll need to route your Web traffic through the VPN's special DNS server. Here's what you need to do:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN via its official website using your computer, smartphone, tablet, or any other device with a Web browser.
2. Once you subscribe, click "My Account" on ExpressVPN's site and log in using your email address and password. If asked for a verification code, copy it from your email inbox.
3. Click "DNS Settings" (in the left-placed sidebar) on your ExpressVPN dashboard.
4. Click on the "Register My IP Address" button on the right (under "IP Address Registration").
5. Click on the switch on the right side of "Automatically Register My IP Address."
6. Return one step (to your ExpressVPN online dashboard) and click "Set Up Other Devices" using the top-placed banner.
7. Pick "MediaStreamer" among the supported devices on the left-hand side and check your MediaStreamer IP address on the right. Keep that page open.
8. Turn to your LG smart TV and press the gear-shaped "Settings" button using your remote.
9. Navigate to the icon resembling three vertical dots (called "Advanced").
10. Using the right-placed sidebar, pick "Network."
11. Select your Web connection (pick "Wired Connection" or "Wi-Fi Connection").
12. Click "Edit" (at the bottom) once you get to your network details.
13. Uncheck the box next to "Set Automatically."
14. Click the "DNS" field and copy the MediaStreamer IPs from ExpressVPN’s website.
15. Press "Connect" at the bottom to confirm the new DNS values.
16. Finally, restart your LG Smart TV for the DNS changes to become active. That’s it!
Despite using ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer, some apps from LG's Content Store can still be geo-blocked (based on your TV model). In that case, our recommendation would be to use screen mirroring on your smartphone or tablet.
With that said, here’s how to install ExpressVPN on iPhones and iPads and install ExpressVPN on Android. Set up the VPN on your phone, connect to a VPN server, start playing any video, and then mirror/cast its screen to your LG TV.
Setting up ExpressVPN on an LG TV requires you to use a 'SmartDNS' solution, which is what 'MediaStreamer' does. By changing DNS settings on your TV, you'll gain access to US-based streaming services, upgrading your media streaming experience.
That said, we're sure you have more devices that can be protected by ExpressVPN. So, check our central guide on how to set up ExpressVPN, showing you how to get started with this VPN on 60+ different Web-connected devices.
Yes, ExpressVPN works with LG TVs via its 'MediaStreamer' feature, letting you unblock media streaming apps on your smart TV.
To set up ExpressVPN on your LG TV, you first need a subscription to ExpressVPN. Then, you need to log in to your account and obtain your DNS server addresses, which you then need to add to your TV's settings.
Once you set up ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer on your LG TV, there's nothing extra you need to do. The feature will run on your LG TV continuously.
Since you'll be using a custom DNS server, ExpressVPN will route your traffic from your LG TV through its US- and UK-based servers. To stop using ExpressVPN, just delete the DNS server you entered when setting up MediaStreamer on your TV.
To find ExpressVPN's DNS settings for your LG TV, you need to obtain a subscription first. Then, log in to your account on ExpressVPN's site and navigate to Set Up Other Devices > MediaStreamer. ExpressVPN's DNS will be on the right side.
That would be all on how to set up ExpressVPN on your LG smart TV. If you have any questions or doubts, don’t hesitate to post your comment below. And lastly, thanks for reading!