ExpressVPN has a native app for Amazon’s Fire OS, which lets you install ExpressVPN from Amazon's App Store directly. However, you can also sideload the ExpressVPN app, which comes in handy if you don't have access to Amazon's App Store. So, you have two options to install ExpressVPN on Firestick, based on which model you have.
Before we proceed, know that this VPN is compatible with most Fire TV devices. However, some older Firesticks are no longer supported. Here's more information:
- Devices That Work with ExpressVPN: Fire TV (all versions); Fire TV Stick (2nd generation and newer); Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Stick Lite; Fire TV Cube.
- Devices That Don't Work with ExpressVPN: Fire TV Stick (1st gen) - made in 2014.
And now, let's start talking about how to get ExpressVPN on your Firestick.
How to Install ExpressVPN on Firestick
As mentioned above, there are two ways to download ExpressVPN on a Firestick or Fire TV, based on whether you have access to the App Store on your device. These are your options:
- Method #1: How to Install ExpressVPN on Firestick Using Amazon App Store
- Method #2: How to Install ExpressVPN on Firestick Using Downloader App
Method 1: How to Install ExpressVPN on Firestick Using Amazon App Store
If you have a Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Fire TV Stick Lite, or Fire TV Cube with the App Store preloaded, you can rely on it to install and keep ExpressVPN updated. So, here's our step-by-step guide.
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
2. Then, turn to your Firestick or Fire TV device. Using the "Search" function on your media streamer, look up "ExpressVPN."
3. You should see the app among the search results. Navigate to its icon and select it.
4. At this moment, you should see ExpressVPN’s overview. Select "Download." The application will now download and install on its own. Go ahead and launch it.
5. Using your remote controller, select "Sign In" on ExpressVPN’s launch screen.
6. Provide your email address and password, and select "Sign In" again.
7. The app will ask you to collect anonymous data. Go with "OK" or "No, Thanks."
8. Select "OK" when asked to set up the VPN. Fire OS will ask you to allow ExpressVPN’s connection requests. Select "OK."
At this moment, you should see ExpressVPN’s home screen. So, give it a try and connect to any of its servers. However, keep in mind that to unblock media content from a specific country, your VPN server location must match the country set in your Amazon account.
You can change your Amazon country settings by navigating to Your Account > Your Content and Devices > Preferences > Country/Region.
Method 2: How to Install ExpressVPN on Firestick Using Downloader App
If you don't have access to the App Store, or perhaps if you'd like to bypass it, ExpressVPN provides another installation method. Here's how to sideload ExpressVPN on Fire TV Stick.
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
2. Navigate to Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options (on your Firestick). Select "Apps From Unknown Sources" and switch to "ON."
3. Return to your device's home screen. Go all the way to the top, and then to the left. Select the magnifying glass icon.
4. Using the virtual keyboard, type in "Downloader" and download the app. Open the newly installed app, and grant any permissions needed.
5. Now, contact ExpressVPN's support (via live chat, on the VPN's website), and ask for the URL of the latest version of ExpressVPN's APK file. Input that URL back into the Downloader app, from its home screen.
6. ExpressVPN's APK installation file should now download to your Fire OS. Once done, open the file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the app.
7. Launch ExpressVPN and log in using your email and password.
8. Decide whether to allow ExpressVPN to collect anonymous information, and grant any permissions needed, and that's it.
You can now use ExpressVPN to connect to any server. Once you connect, return to Fire OS' Home Screen, and use your media streamer as you normally would.
How to Use ExpressVPN on Firestick?
Once you set up ExpressVPN on your media streamer, you'll be free to connect to any of its servers. So, here's how to connect and disconnect from ExpressVPN's Servers on Firestick:
1. Select the "three dots" icon found on ExpressVPN's home screen. This will now open the Location Picker, showing all of the available servers.
2. You can choose from two tabs – "Recommended" and "All Locations." To connect to any location, select it using your remote.
3. To disconnect, you can use the ON/OFF switch found on ExpressVPN's home screen.
How to Update ExpressVPN on a Fire TV Stick?
This depends on how you installed the VPN in the first place. If you've installed it from the App Store, it will be automatically updated. To check whether this option is enabled, go through the following steps:
1. From Fire OS's home screen, scroll to the top. Then, scroll to the right and select "Settings."
2. Now, select "Applications," followed by "Appstore."
3. Underneath "Automatic Updates," it will say "OFF." Switch that to "ON."
In case you've sideloaded ExpressVPN, you need to repeat the installation procedure to update it. Basically, you install a new version over the existing one. For more information and to get an up-to-date URL for ExpressVPN's APK file, contact the VPN's support team.
How to Tell if ExpressVPN is Working on a Firestick?
The best way to tell whether ExpressVPN works on your Firestick is to check your IP address. That's how you'll see whether your digital location corresponds to the location of your chosen VPN server (which is how you'll unblock new streaming apps on your Firestick).
What you need to do is to launch any Web browser on your Firestick. If you don't have one installed, you can use Amazon Silk. Then, visit "https://whatismyipaddress.com/" and allow that website to read your IP address and display your virtual location on a map.
Once again, the location you see there should correspond to the location of your chosen VPN server. That means your actual physical location should be hidden while using ExpressVPN.
How to Uninstall ExpressVPN from Your Firestick?
Uninstalling ExpressVPN from your Firestick isn't any different from uninstalling any other Fire OS app. Here's what you need to do:
1. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > ExpressVPN.
2. Select "Uninstall" and then confirm your decision.
ExpressVPN Not Working on Firestick? - Try This!
When ExpressVPN fails to work properly on your Firestick, you'll want to try changing a server, changing a protocol, clearing ExpressVPN's cache, and reinstalling the app. Here's more information about each of those troubleshooting steps.
#1. Switch to Another Server
ExpressVPN offers a lot of VPN servers and covers multiple locations in countries that are more popular among VPN users. However, you can still encounter an overcrowded server whose performance is throttled. So, the easier solution is to switch to another VPN server.
#2: Switch to Another Protocol
On Fire OS, ExpressVPN brings OpenVPN and Lightway - in two different variations each. It's worth switching between those VPN protocols from time to time, especially if you're trying to unblock media streaming apps.
Select "Options," and then go to "VPN Protocol." Pick any of the available protocols on your screen and then return to ExpressVPN's home screen. Finally, connect to a VPN server.
#3: Clear ExpressVPN's Cache and Data
By removing ExpressVPN's cache and data, you can force the app to reload its database upon the next launch. Naturally, that can resolve all kinds of technical issues, especially if you've been having issues with trying to reach faster speeds.
So, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > ExpressVPN. Then, clear the app's data and cache. You can now return to your Fire OS home screen and relaunch the VPN app.
#4: Reinstall the Application
Lastly, we recommend uninstalling ExpressVPN and then reinstalling the app. That way, you'll delete ExpressVPN's dependencies, cache, and other related data. So, the next time you install the app, you can start from scratch (and without any errors, hopefully).
If you are just getting started, then ExpressVPN for Firestick is the better option. You'll find this VPN on your device's App Store, which is how you can not only install ExpressVPN but keep it updated as well (making sure you always get the latest features first).
Of course, ExpressVPN works on many other devices as well. So, to extend its protection, turn to our central guide on how to set up ExpressVPN - covering 60+ devices. And if you'd like to check what else is out there, here's our guide to the best VPN for Firestick.
Does ExpressVPN Work on Firestick?
Yes – ExpressVPN works natively on all Fire OS devices produced in the last couple of years. The only Firestick that doesn't support VPNs is the first-gen Fire TV Stick.
Is ExpressVPN Free on Firestick?
Yes, ExpressVPN comes as a free-of-charge app for your Firestick. However, you need a subscription to log in and start using the VPN.
How Do I Add ExpressVPN to Firestick?
To add ExpressVPN to your Firestick, visit the App Store, search for the VPN, and download the application from there. You can then open and set up ExpressVPN.
Does ExpressVPN Connect Automatically on Firestick?
Yes, you can set up ExpressVPN to connect automatically on your Firestick. Just go to Options > Auto-Connect and enable that option there.
Can You Use ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer on Fire OS?
ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer is a DNS service that acts as a proxy. As such, it allows you to unblock media streaming services, which can be very useful on Fire OS.
Once you subscribe to ExpressVPN, contact the VPN's support. ExpressVPN's team will send you detailed instructions based on your exact device model and possible use cases.
Can ExpressVPN Unblock Netflix on a Fire Stick?
You can easily watch Netflix US via ExpressVPN on any device – and that includes Fire Stick devices. Aside from the US version of Netflix, this VPN can access other countries' libraries, including those available in the UK, Canada, France, Germany, and Italy.
Can You Sideload ExpressVPN on Fire OS Devices?
Yes, you can sideload ExpressVPN on Fire OS. This is done by using the VPN's APK file. Even though this method of installing ExpressVPN isn't the quickest, it comes in handy when you can't access Amazon's App Store for any reason.
What's the URL of the ExpressVPN APK Installer?
ExpressVPN releases new versions and updates periodically, so we recommend contacting ExpressVPN's support via the live-chat functionality on its website. They'll be happy to provide you with the latest URL of ExpressVPN's APK file.
This is where we conclude our guide on how to install ExpressVPN on a Firestick. In case you have any questions, know that we’re always happy to assist. So, make sure to post your comment below. Lastly, thanks for reading!