No matter which TV brand you use, ExpressVPN has come up with several solutions that let you unblock media streaming services. However, you do need to know which method to pick, as each of those has its pros and cons. Don’t worry – as we’re here to show you how to set up and use ExpressVPN on a smart TV, and we’ll cover plenty of popular TV brands.
What Smart TVs Are Compatible with ExpressVPN?
First and foremost, let’s check what smart TVs are compatible with ExpressVPN and in which way. Take a look just below.
- Samsung TVs (Powered by Tizen) – Any Tizen-powered Samsung TV is compatible with ExpressVPN’s ‘MediaStreamer’ feature. This lets you unblock streaming services, but it doesn’t encrypt your Web connector nor provides complete VPN-level protection.
- LG TVs (Powered by WebOS) – Just like Samsung TVs, LG TVs also work with ExpressVPN’s ‘Media Streamer.’ Therefore, you can unblock and use streaming apps but don’t count on full VPN-level protection for your personal data.
- Sony TV (Powered by Android TV) – In terms of Sony’s Android TV (and this applies to any other Android TV device out there), you can use ExpressVPN’s native app. So, you get content unblocking in addition to complete VPN protection for your privacy.
- TCL, Hisense, Panasonic, Vizio & Others – Depending on the TV model you have, you might be able to use ExpressVPN’s ‘MediaStreamer.’ However, if your TV doesn’t let you edit DNS settings, you have no other option than to set up ExpressVPN on a router.
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on Samsung TVs?
In case you have a Samsung smart TV, know that you can use ExpressVPN’s ‘MediaStreamer,’ designed to unblock new types of media streaming content. So, here’s how to get started with ExpressVPN on your Samsung smart TV.
- First, go ahead and subscribe to ExpressVPN.
- Click on the link provided above and select ‘Get ExpressVPN.’
- Once you sign-up, return to ExpressVPN’s website (its home page).
- Log-in to your account by clicking on ‘My Account.’ Provide your credentials.
- Select ‘DNS Settings‘ once you get to your online dashboard.
- First, select the ‘Register My IP Address‘ button.
- Also, make sure to flip the switch next to ‘Automatically Register My IP Address.’
- Return one step and select ‘Set Up Other Devices.’
- Pick ‘MediaStreamer‘ on the left and leave this page open.
- On your Samsung TV, navigate to Network > Network Status > IP Settings.
- Select ‘DNS Setting,’ and pick ‘Enter Manually.’
- Enter your DNS address (from ExpressVPN’s website) and hit ‘OK.’
- Finally, save your changes and restart your Samsung TV.
If you’d like to take a much deeper dive into the procedure explained above, know that we have precisely what you need. Here’s our guide to setting up ExpressVPN on a Samsung TV.
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on LG TVs?
If you have a WebOS-powered TV, you can dive deep into customizing its Web connectivity options. That also means that you can use ExpressVPN’s ‘MediaStreamer.’ Here are the steps to setting up ExpressVPN on your LG smart TV.
- Begin by getting your ExpressVPN subscription (click on the provided link).
- Once you get to ExpressVPN’s website, select ‘Get ExpressVPN.’
- Finalize the procedure there, and activate your new VPN subscription.
- Then, return to ExpressVPN’s home page and select ‘My Account.’
- Log-in to your online dashboard and click on ‘DNS Settings‘ on the left.
- Then, click on the button labeled ‘Register My IP Address.’
- Don’t forget to flip the switch just below (‘Automatically Register My IP Address’).
- Return to your online dashboard and click ‘Set Up Other Devices.’
- Select ‘MediaStreamer,’ and you’ll see your DNS on the right. Leave this page open.
- Using your LG TV remote, press the ‘Settings‘ button and go to ‘Advanced.’
- Navigate to Network > [Your Network Connection] > Edit > Set Automatically.
- Input ExpressVPN’s DNS address into the DNS field. Confirm with ‘Connect.’
- Finally, restart your LG TV.
If you think more detailed information might help, here’s our dedicated guide on setting up ExpressVPN on an LG TV. You’ll find plenty of screenshots there as well, helping you navigate your way through.
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on Sony TVs?
The majority of Sony TVs run on custom Android TV versions, which is excellent news. That means that you can install ExpressVPN’s app and run it natively on your Sony TV, so here’s how that is done.
- If you don’t have one, get your ExpressVPN subscription.
- Use the link provided above, and then click on ‘Get ExpressVPN.’
- Pick a subscription and finalize the procedure on ExpressVPN’s website.
- Expect to see an email confirming your subscription, and then proceed.
- On your Sony TV, launch the Play Store app. Search for ‘ExpressVPN.’
- Once you open the app’s overview (in the Play Store), use the ‘Install‘ button.
- Wait until the app is ready for use, and then hit the ‘Open‘ button.
- Log-in to ExpressVPN using your credentials (email address and password).
- Complete the initial setup by following the on-screen prompts carefully.
- When asked about a connection request, make sure to confirm with ‘OK.’
- At this moment, you should see ExpressVPN’s home screen, ready for use.
- Use the app’s interface to connect to any server, and the UI will turn green.
- That’s when you can return to your Android TV and launch any other app.
If this is your first time handling a VPN app on your TV, you might need some extra help. With that said, our guide to installing the ExpressVPN app on Android TV will answer all your needs. So, make sure to use the provided link.
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on TCL, Hisense, Panasonic & Vizio TVs?
Lastly, we have TVs that come from TCL, Hisense, Panasonic, and Vizio. We’ve grouped them together as they rely on all kinds of different platforms. With that said, we’ve wanted to give a general guide for all those TV brands, offering various solutions along the way.
So, here’s how to get started with ExpressVPN on TCL, Hisense, Panasonic, Vizio, and any other smart TV brand.
- First, you need to subscribe to ExpressVPN.
- Use the link from above and then click on ‘Get ExpressVPN.’
- Complete the sign-up procedure. You’ll get a confirmation email once done.
- Then, go back to the home page of ExpressVPN’s website.
- Click on ‘My Account‘ and log-in using your email address and password.
- Once you’re in, select ‘DNS Settings.’ Then, click on ‘Register My IP Address.’
- Make sure also to flip the switch next to ‘Automatically Register My IP Address.’
- Return one step and select ‘Set Up Other Devices‘ (using your online dashboard).
- Pick ‘MediaStreamer‘ and then make sure to leave this page open.
- Turn to your TV and visit its ‘Settings.’
- Find a group of options related to Web connectivity (within your TV’s settings).
- You might need to select your Internet connection.
- Then, your goal should be to navigate to DNS settings. That can also be called ‘Advanced Options,’ ‘IP Address,’ ‘DNS Settings,’ or similar.
If you’re unsure how to navigate to your TV’s DNS settings, we recommend doing a Google search based on your device’s exact model. Make sure to be precise in your search, and you’ll find the instructions on the website of your TV’s manufacturer.
- Once you get to DNS settings, switch them to ‘Manual.’ Then, paste your DNS server IP(s) from the ExpressVPN website (from the page you left open in the background).
- Make sure to confirm your DNS changes. And also, restart your TV.
What If You Can’t Install ExpressVPN on Your Smart TV?
If you’re not able to change DNS settings on your TV, there are several things to try. Among those – we highly recommend installing ExpressVPN on a router. This comes as the ultimate solution to getting VPN-level protection on your smart TV. However, keep in mind that only a group of compatible routers will do this job successfully.
And finally, know that you can mirror your smartphone’s screen to your TV’s screen, which comes as yet another workaround. That way, you can set up ExpressVPN on your iPhone or iPad, as well as on Android phones and tablets – and you’ll get complete VPN protection. Then, install any media streaming app and watch movies and TV shows by mirroring your device’s screen to your TV.
That would be all on how to download, install and use ExpressVPN on a smart TV. If you have any questions or doubts on your mind, know that we’re here to assist. So, make sure to post your comment just below. And lastly, thank you for reading!