PlayStation consoles don't support VPNs, so ExpressVPN offers a few workarounds. You can set up ExpressVPN on PlayStation by configuring it on a router. Once you connect from your PS to your VPN Wi-Fi network, you'll receive all the benefits of a VPN connection. On top of that, this method works on a PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and of course, PlayStation 5.
Another option is a feature called 'MediaStreamer,' which comes without encryption. Since your data won't be encrypted, so you won't be protected against DDoS attacks. However, ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer will help you route your traffic through a US server, unblocking US-based streaming apps and games.
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on PlayStation
Different PlayStation consoles come with different ways to configure their DNS. To learn how to set up ExpressVPN on a PlayStation console, pick from below:
- Option #1: Use ExpressVPN on a PlayStation via a Router
- Option #2: Set Up ExpressVPN (MediaStreamer) on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3
- Option #3: Set Up ExpressVPN (MediaStreamer) on PlayStation 5
Option #1: Use ExpressVPN on a PlayStation via a Router
The only way to get all the benefits of a VPN connection on your PS3, PS4, or PS5 is by setting up ExpressVPN on a router. However, that's not the most straightforward procedure. So, let's show you what it entails, in general:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using any Web browser.
2. Return to ExpressVPN's website and click "My Account" using the main menu in the top-right corner. Enter your username and password, and access your dashboard.
3. Navigate to "Set Up Other Devices" > "Manual Configuration."
4. On the right, note your OpenVPN username and password. Below, find a server you'd like to use and download its OpenVPN (OVPN) files to your computer.
5. Scroll down and click "Select Your Device." Pick your router's brand, and ExpressVPN will take you to a page containing detailed instructions. Follow what's said there, step by step.
6. Return to your PlayStation and connect to your VPN Wi-Fi network. You can also connect using an Ethernet cable if you need a wired connection. That's it!
If you need more detailed steps and plenty more screenshots to guide you, check our central article on how to set up ExpressVPN on a router.
There's also one more thing to consider. If installing a VPN on a router seems like an experience not ideal for you, consider buying a ready-to-use router. Aircove by ExpressVPN is a powerful router that comes with everything preinstalled. Here's how to set up ExpressVPN on Aircove.
Option #2: Set Up ExpressVPN on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3
Getting started with ExpressVPN on PS4 or PS3 is easy, as you'll need to create a new Web connection with new DNS settings. So, do the following:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
2. After subscribing, pick "My Account" using the top-placed main menu on ExpressVPN's site. Provide your credentials and access your ExpressVPN dashboard.
3. Pick "DNS Settings" on the left. Click the "Register My IP Address" button. Then, flip the switch next to "Automatically Register My IP Address."
4. Return one step to your online dashboard. Click "Set Up Other Devices." A new page will open. Select "PlayStation" among the supported platforms (on the left). On the right, make a note of your DNS server IP. Leave this page open.
5. To complete this procedure, turn to your PlayStation console and go to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection.
6. When asked about the type of connection, pick "Use Wi-Fi."
7. If asked to use your existing Wi-Fi settings, select "Yes." You will also be asked how you want to proceed. You need to pick "Custom."
8. Pick your current Wi-Fi (your home Wi-Fi network) and provide its password. Then, you will be asked about your IP address settings. Pick "Automatic" here.
9. When asked about your DHCP host name, pick "Do Not Specify."
10. When asked about your DNS settings, pick "Manual."
11. Select "Primary DNS" and copy your DNS Server IP from ExpressVPN’s website. Feel free to leave the secondary DNS as is – set to 0.0.0.0.
12. When it comes to MTU settings, you can pick "Automatic."
13. When it comes to a proxy server, pick "Do Not Use."
14. Select "Test Internet Connection" and wait. Hopefully, all will go without errors, so you can finalize this procedure. Restart your PlayStation for the DNS changes to take effect.
Option #3: Set Up ExpressVPN on PlayStation 5
Since PlayStation 5 has a unique interface, you need to use a different method to set up ExpressVPN on PS5 console. Here's the guide you need to follow:
1. Get your ExpressVPN subscription using your computer and any Web browser.
2. Then, pick "My Account" using the ExpressVPN website main menu (at the top). Enter your email and password to reach your ExpressVPN account dashboard.
3. Click "DNS Settings." Then, click "Register My IP Address." Don't forget to flip the switch next to "Automatically Register My IP Address." Return to your ExpressVPN dashboard.
4. Go to Set Up Other Devices > PlayStation. Make a note of your MediaStreamer IP address.
5. On your PlayStation 5, go to Settings > Network > Settings > Set Up Internet Connection.
6. Pick your active network and select "Advanced Settings." A new screen will appear, where you need to enter the following information:
- IP Address Settings: Pick "Automatic."
- DHCP Host: Pick "Don't Specify."
- DNS Settings: Pick "Manual."
- Primary DNS: Copy your MediaStreamer IP address.
- Secondary DNS: Leave it as it is.
- Proxy Server: Pick "Don't Use."
- MTU Settings: Pick "Automatic."
7. Save your settings, and you'll be taken to the "Set Up Internet Connection" screen. Restart your PlayStation 5 to apply the changes. That's it!
Even though you can't run ExpressVPN natively on a PS console, you get the next best thing. A VPN router can help you extend your VPN connection to your entire household, your PlayStation included. And also, since your PlayStation is a capable entertainment machine, ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer can help you unblock new content, giving you additional hours of fun.
However, don't forget that ExpressVPN also works on many other devices. To learn more, here's how to set up ExpressVPN on all its supported platforms and devices.
Does ExpressVPN Work on Consoles?
Yes, ExpressVPN works on consoles - but only if you use a workaround. You can't install ExpressVPN directly on a console, but you can set it up on a router instead.
Does ExpressVPN Work on PS4 and PS5?
Yes, ExpressVPN works on PS4 and PS5 consoles, just not through a dedicated app. In fact, there are no VPNs with dedicated apps for any PlayStation console.
Can You Use ExpressVPN on PS4 and PS5?
Yes, you can use ExpressVPN on PS4 and PS5 consoles, just not natively. One option is to set up ExpressVPN on a router. Another option is to use ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer, routing your traffic through US-based servers.
That would be all on how to set up ExpressVPN on PlayStation. If you have any questions for us, make sure to post your comment below. And finally – thank you for reading!