Since PlayStation consoles don't support VPN applications, ExpressVPN offers a workaround. You can set up ExpressVPN on PlayStation using a feature called "MediaStreamer." That means you'll have to change your console's DNS settings, letting you unblock streaming apps.
In other words, know that your traffic won't be encrypted, so you won't be protected against DDoS attacks. Instead, ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer will help you route your traffic through a US server, unblocking US-based streaming apps and games.
If you want encryption, protection against DDoS attacks, and access to ExpressVPN's 3,000+ features, you need to set up ExpressVPN on a router.
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on PlayStation
Different PlayStation consoles come with different ways to configure their DNS. To learn how to set up ExpressVPN on your PS console, pick from below:
- Option #1: Set Up ExpressVPN on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3
- Option #2: Set Up ExpressVPN on PlayStation 5
Option #1: Set Up ExpressVPN on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3
Getting started with ExpressVPN on PS4 or PS3 is easy, as you'll need to create a new Web connection with new DNS settings. So, do the following:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
2. After subscribing, pick "My Account" using the top-placed main menu on ExpressVPN's site. Provide your credentials and access your ExpressVPN dashboard.
3. Pick "DNS Settings" on the left. Click the "Register My IP Address" button. Then, flip the switch next to "Automatically Register My IP Address."
4. Return one step to your online dashboard. Click "Set Up Other Devices." A new page will open. Select "PlayStation" among the supported platforms (on the left). On the right, make a note of your DNS server IP. Leave this page open.
5. To complete this procedure, turn to your PlayStation console and go to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection.
6. When asked about the type of connection, pick "Use Wi-Fi."
7. If asked to use your existing Wi-Fi settings, select "Yes." You will also be asked how you want to proceed. You need to pick "Custom."
8. Pick your current Wi-Fi (your home Wi-Fi network) and provide its password. Then, you will be asked about your IP address settings. Pick "Automatic" here.
9. When asked about your DHCP host name, feel free to pick "Do Not Specify."
10. When asked about your DNS settings, make sure to pick "Manual."
11. Select "Primary DNS" and copy your DNS Server IP from ExpressVPN’s website. You can feel free to leave the secondary DNS as is – set to 0.0.0.0.
12. When it comes to MTU settings, you can pick "Automatic."
13. And when it comes to a proxy server, pick "Do Not Use."
14. Select "Test Internet Connection" and wait. Hopefully, all will go without errors, so you can finalize this procedure. Restart your PlayStation for the DNS changes to take effect.
Option #2: Set Up ExpressVPN on PlayStation 5
Since PlayStation 5 has a unique interface, you need to use a different method to set up ExpressVPN on PS5 console. Here's the guide you need to follow:
1. Get your ExpressVPN subscription using your computer and any Web browser.
2. Then, pick "My Account" using the ExpressVPN website main menu (at the top). Enter your email and password to reach your ExpressVPN account dashboard.
3. Click "DNS Settings." Then, click "Register My IP Address." Don't forget to flip the switch next to "Automatically Register My IP Address." Return to your ExpressVPN dashboard.
4. Go to Set Up Other Devices > PlayStation. Make a note of your MediaStreamer IP address.
5. On your PlayStation 5, go to Settings > Network > Settings > Set Up Internet Connection.
6. Pick your active network and select "Advanced Settings." A new screen will appear, where you need to enter the following information:
- IP Address Settings: Pick "Automatic."
- DHCP Host: Pick "Don't Specify."
- DNS Settings: Pick "Manual."
- Primary DNS: Copy your MediaStreamer IP address.
- Secondary DNS: Leave it as it is.
- Proxy Server: Pick "Don't Use."
- MTU Settings: Pick "Automatic."
7. Save your settings, and you'll be taken to the "Set Up Internet Connection" screen. Restart your PlayStation 5 to apply the changes. That's it!
Even though you can't run ExpressVPN natively on a PS console, you do get the next best thing. Since your PlayStation is a capable entertainment machine, ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer will help you unblock new content - which translates to additional hours of fun.
However, don't forget that ExpressVPN works on many other devices as well. To learn more, here's how to install ExpressVPN on all its supported devices. And if you need more options, check our guide to the best gaming VPN services (please note that all VPNs work in the same way as ExpressVPN, since PS consoles don't support VPN software).
That would be all on how to set up ExpressVPN on PlayStation. If you have any questions for us, make sure to post your comment below. And finally – thank you for reading!