July 7, 2023
WD TV streaming devices don't support VPNs. So, if you wish to set up ExpressVPN on a WD TV Live device, there are two possible options in front of you.
First, you can set up ExpressVPN on a router and then connect your WD TV streaming device to that router's VPN network. Or, you can share your VPN connection from your computer.
Sounds complicated? Well, worry not, as we'll explain everything from scratch. Let's start talking about how to get ExpressVPN to work on your WD TV Live.
There are two ways to make ExpressVPN work on WD TV Live, and we'll explain both of those. Here are the steps you need to take.
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
At this moment, you have two options. First, you can share your VPN connection from your computer, turning it into a virtual router. Or you can install ExpressVPN on a compatible router, which is perhaps the most effective way to proceed (but comes with an additional investment if you don’t have a VPN router).
3. Once you set up your VPN connection, it’s time to connect your WD TV Live. On your WD TV, navigate to Menu > Setup. Access the "Setup" menu.
4. Then, select "Network Settings," Proceed to navigate to Network Setup > Wireless.
5. Search for your VPN network by selecting "Auto Search."
6. Select the virtual router or physical router you’ve set up (click on its network’s name).
7. Provide a password for your VPN network and then select "Submit."
8. Lastly, click "OK" below the message saying "Network Setup Completed."
Setting up ExpressVPN on WD TV Live isn't the easiest procedure, but that's the case with any platform that doesn't support VPNs natively. On the plus side, setting up this VPN on a router lets you protect all your Web-connected devices at once without using individual clients.
Finally, if you wish to learn more about setting up the VPN on other devices, here's our guide on how to set up ExpressVPN, covering 60+ different platforms and devices.
That's all for our guide on how to set up ExpressVPN on WD TV Live. Let us know if you have any questions by posting a comment below. Lastly, thank you for reading!