Roku devices don’t support VPN applications. So, you can’t run a VPN app natively on your Roku media streaming device. However, you can still set up ExpressVPN on Roku using workarounds - by installing the VPN on your router or sharing your VPN connection from your computer.
So, no matter if you decide to run ExpressVPN on your router or share its connection from your computer, you'll create a VPN-protected Wi-Fi network. Once you connect to that network from your Roku, you'll get all the benefits of running ExpressVPN.
Don't worry if that sounds complicated; we'll make it as simple as possible. Let's jump right in!
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on Roku
As mentioned above, you can set up ExpressVPN on your Roku using workarounds only. These are the steps you need to take:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
2. Now, decide which path (workaround) to take. Read the following note carefully, explaining what different workarounds entail, so you can pick one aligned with your needs.
You have two options in front of you. You can decide to share a VPN connection from your Windows or macOS computer. This method will require you to run ExpressVPN on your computer at all times (or while actively using Roku).
There's another method – to run ExpressVPN on your router. This is possible on an extensive range of routers, but those must be compatible with VPNs. If you're getting started with VPNs, check out the best VPN routers. And also, check how to choose a VPN router.
- IF YOU USE WINDOWS: It’s possible to share a VPN connection from Windows 10 and 8. Still, before you do so, you need to install ExpressVPN on your Windows PC. Use the provided links to learn more.
- IF YOU USE MACOS: You can share your VPN connection from macOS as well. That process requires you to set up the VPN manually on your Mac. However, we also recommend installing ExpressVPN on your Mac (natively) to protect your computer in the best way possible.
3-b. If VPN connection sharing doesn’t work for you, there’s another option as well. That another option would be to set up ExpressVPN on your router. Use the provided link to learn what that process entails exactly.
4. Once you create a VPN-protected Wi-Fi network, turn to your Roku. Navigate to Home > Settings > Network > Set Up Connection > Wireless.
5. Pick the newly created Wi-Fi connection, provide its password, and Roku will connect. Its traffic will be routed based on the location of your chosen VPN server. That's it!
You're probably disappointed that you can't run ExpressVPN directly on your Roku. However, the same applies to any VPN - as Roku doesn't work with VPNs in general.
That said, getting a VPN router is the best option, as you can protect your entire household. If you wish to avoid any added expenses, sharing your VPN connection is the way to go.
Aside from setting up ExpressVPN on Roku, you can run this VPN on other devices as well. So, here's how to set up ExpressVPN on all its supported devices. And if you wish to check more options, here's our guide to the best VPN for Roku.
Those would be the two workarounds for setting up ExpressVPN on Roku. If you have any questions, post them via the comments section below. Lastly, thank you for reading!