These days, governments regulate torrenting much more strictly than before, resulting in legal punishments. If you download torrents without proper protection, you can get caught and charged with copyright infringement. Additionally, your IP address is exposed while torrenting, which means other users in your P2P swarm can see it.
Another concern is that ISPs slow down their users’ Internet connections when they notice large file downloads. However, these issues can be easily avoided with the best VPN for torrenting. A proper VPN can mask your actual IP and ensure it doesn’t leak. It can also hide your online activity from your ISP and others by encrypting your Internet connection.
In this article, we’ll cover the 6 best VPNs for torrenting and show you how to use a VPN for downloading torrents. We’ll also provide a guide to choosing a VPN, explain why you need one, share tips for troubleshooting issues when using a VPN for torrenting, and more.
Best VPNs for Torrenting - Our Shortlist
- ExpressVPN – Our #1-Rated Best VPN for Torrenting in 2023
- NordVPN – Highly-Secure Torrenting VPN
- CyberGhost VPN – Best VPN for Downloading Torrents with P2P Servers
- Surfshark – Best VPN for P2P & Secure Access to Torrent Sites
- Private Internet Access – High Advanced VPN That Allows Torrenting
- Proton VPN – Beginner-Friendly VPN to Hide Torrenting
How to Use a VPN for Downloading Torrents
To use a VPN for downloading torrents, you’ll need to look for a provider that is suitable for torrenting and get a subscription. Just follow these easy steps:
- Sign up for a VPN that supports torrenting (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on the device(s) you’ll use for torrenting.
- Open the VPN app and sign in to your account to activate your VPN subscription.
- Visit your VPN app's settings and enable the kill switch, to prevent leaks.
- Check if the default VPN protocol is set to OpenVPN (or WireGuard).
- Connect to a VPN server, preferably a specialized P2P one.
- Choose and download the torrent client you want to use.
- Find a safe torrent repository to browse torrent files.
- Now, you can safely download torrents online. That’s it!
People who are new to torrenting might have some difficulty setting everything up and getting started. Check out our detailed guide on how to use torrents, which takes you through every step explained above in great detail.
The Best VPNs for Torrenting in 2023
To find the best VPN for torrenting, you’ll need to look for a provider that can unblock many torrent sites and P2P repositories. The provider you choose should also offer a good number of P2P servers in various locations. Finding a VPN with a wide server network will help you accomplish this, as well as ensure a fast and reliable torrenting experience.
In addition, the VPN you go for should come with various features that support torrenting, like obfuscated servers, a kill switch, and split tunneling. Extra P2P-related options such as an ad-blocker and anti-malware scanning are ideal, too. Your chosen provider must also offer robust security and privacy features, including a no-logs policy, encryption, and VPN protocols.
Furthermore, the VPN provider you subscribe to should provide a money-back guarantee and come with reliable, round-the-clock customer support.
According to the criteria mentioned above, these are the 6 best VPNs for torrenting:
|Try Risk-Free|| |
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for torrenting as it offers more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, and all of them are optimized for P2P file sharing. Thus, the provider allows users to download torrents with no restrictions using whichever server they like. The VPN can also unblock many torrenting sites, giving you access to millions of torrent files.
Furthermore, all ExpressVPN servers are obfuscated, so you can hide the fact you’re using a VPN. In addition, you get robust security and privacy features, such as an audited no-logs policy, secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, Lightway), and military-grade encryption (AES-256). Unfortunately, there is no ad-blocker or anti-malware scanning.
ExpressVPN comes with all the P2P-focused features needed to successfully download torrents, including a capable kill switch and split tunneling. The kill switch will block all Internet traffic automatically if you disconnect from this VPN, and split tunneling allows you to choose which traffic you want to route through the VPN and which you don’t.
This provider is the fastest VPN for torrenting that you can get, offering blazing speeds and reliable performance. Also, using ExpressVPN for torrenting is pretty easy, making the provider suitable for both beginners and advanced users. Lastly, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and dedicated 24/7 customer support via live chat.
- Fastest VPN for torrenting
- 3,000+ P2P-optimized servers
- Unblocks many torrent sites
- Kill switch and split tunneling
- 24/7 available customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No ad-blocker or anti-malware
NordVPN is a well-known VPN for torrenting with thousands of P2P-optimized servers. In total, it has 5,600+ servers in 60 countries. The VPN also offers obfuscation, but only on some servers. Nonetheless, the provider offers access to many different torrent sites, and its P2P-optimized servers allow unlimited downloads.
With NordVPN, you get top-notch P2P-focused features, along with some extras. Some of those features include a capable kill switch, split tunneling, an ad-blocker, and real-time anti-malware scanning. However, the split tunneling feature is only available on Windows, Android, and Android TV devices.
NordVPN is one of the best options when it comes to security and privacy, as it offers top-tier features that will protect you and your devices at all times. You’ll get a strict no-logs policy, AES 256-bit/ChaCha20 encryption, secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN and WireGuard), a double VPN feature, and more.
The provider also delivers reliable speeds and performance, but it’s not as fast as ExpressVPN. Thus, you’ll get medium connection speeds from this provider. Finally, you’ll also enjoy a 30-day money-back guarantee and 24/7 customer support.
- Thousands of P2P-optimized servers
- Ad-blocker and anti-malware
- Best-in-class encryption
- Reliable performance across all servers
- 24/7 live chat support.
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not the fastest option
CyberGhost is another VPN provider suitable for torrenting, as it comes with thousands of P2P-optimized servers in a large number of countries. With its network of more than 9,000 servers in 91 countries, this VPN can surely unblock many torrenting sites, giving you access to millions of torrents.
By using CyberGhost for torrenting, you can expect average Internet connection speeds and reliable performance. And even though its P2P servers are a bit faster, the provider is still no match for VPNs like ExpressVPN or NordVPN.
With CyberGhost, you’ll get P2P-focused features such as a fully-automated kill switch and split tunneling. However, split tunneling is only accessible on Windows and Android. Additionally, it doesn’t offer obfuscation, so we don't recommend it for users in countries like China or the UAE.
That said, you’ll be protected by features like a no-logs policy, strong encryption (AES-256, ChaCha20), secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, WireGuard), an ad-blocker, and anti-malware.
This provider offers a more generous money-back guarantee compared to others. There’s a 45-day money-back guarantee on its longer-term subscriptions and a 14-day money-back guarantee on the monthly plan. Lastly, you’ll get 24/7 customer support via live chat.
- 9,000+ servers in total
- Covers 90+ countries worldwide
- Excellent for downloading torrents
- Strong encryption and VPN protocols
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7 live chat support
- No obfuscation
- Average speeds
Surfshark is an easy-to-use VPN that comes with more than 3,200 servers in 100 countries. All its servers are P2P-optimized and offer Camouflage Mode (Surfshark’s obfuscation feature). So, not only will you be able to unblock repositories and download torrents on all servers, but they’ll also hide the fact that you’re using a VPN to do so.
This VPN for torrents is among the fastest providers on the market, so you can expect fast torrenting speeds and reliable performance. It’s excellent for torrenting and comes with all the P2P-focused features you need, like a kill switch and split tunneling (only on Windows and Android devices). It also offers ad-blocking via CleanWeb and anti-malware.
Surfshark comes with a wide range of security and privacy features, including a no-logs policy, military-grade encryption (AES-256, ChaCha20), and secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN and WireGiard). There's even an antivirus app available for Windows, perfect for checking the files you download, but that feature comes priced extra.
You can try out the provider’s services risk-free via its 30-day money-back guarantee before you commit to a plan. And you’ll also get 24/7 customer support via live chat.
- Fast torrenting speeds
- Covers 100 countries worldwide
- 3,200+ P2P-optimized servers
- Obfuscation on all servers
- 30-day money-back policy
- 24/7 live chat support
- Can take a while to connect
Private Internet Access (PIA) has the biggest server infrastructure, boasting thousands of servers in 84 different countries. All the servers are P2P-optimized, leaving you with a huge choice range for torrent downloading. PIA can unblock many different torrenting sites, allowing you access to a wide array of torrents to download.
PIA has all the P2P-focused features you’ll need for torrenting, including a kill switch and split tunneling. The provider also offers obfuscation through its Shadowsocks protocol, an encrypted open-source proxy. You’ll get an effective ad-blocker and anti-malware software, too.
Additionally, PIA has robust security and privacy features, including a no-logs policy, military-grade encryption, secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, WireGuard), a Multi-Hop feature that routes your VPN connection through 2 servers before it reaches its destination, and more.
So, you’ll get everything you need in one place, except for soaring Internet connection speeds. It’s not that PIA isn’t fast—it’s just not as fast as ExpressVPN or NordVPN. Instead, the provider offers medium-fast speeds that get slower as you increase your encryption and other security measures. However, you’ll get reliable performance nonetheless.
With PIA, you’ll be eligible for a full refund thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. Also, the VPN offers reliable 24/7 customer support via live chat.
- Huge P2P server network
- Unblock many torrenting sites
- Double encryption
- 30-day money-back policy
- 24/7 live chat customer support
- Slower than its competitors
- Best for advanced users
Proton VPN is a reliable provider that can unblock and give you access to multiple torrenting sites. It has 3,000 servers in 65+ countries, and most of them are P2P-optimized. Users can also apply obfuscation to their servers to hide the fact that they’re torrenting via a VPN.
Almost all Proton VPN’s servers have the “NetShield” feature, which boosts their speeds and blocks ads, trackers, and malware. The provider also comes with a kill switch for all kinds of devices. In addition, it offers split tunneling on Windows and Android devices.
Other useful features you’ll get with this VPN for torrents include a no-logs policy, AES 256-bit encryption, secure VPN protocols (OpenVPN, WireGuard, and Stealth), Secure Core servers that route your traffic through 2 servers of your choosing, and more.
Proton VPN is much faster than it was before, thanks to its “VPN Accelerator” feature that boosts the speed on the provider’s more remote servers. Thus, you can expect a fast torrenting experience with reliable performance.
The provider comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, which you can use as a risk-free trial. However, we'll also note that ProtonVPN doesn't offer 24/7 live chat support, but you'll find plenty of other support channels.
- 3,000+ servers in total
- Permanent kill switch feature
- Stable and reliable connection speeds
- Excellent encryption
- Numerous P2P-optimized servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No iOS/macOS split tunneling
- No live chat support
Best VPNs for Torrenting: Compared
|ExpressVPN||NordVPN||CyberGhost VPN||Surfshark||PIA||Proton VPN|
|Logging||No logs (audited)||No logs (audited)||No logs (audited)||No logs (audited)||No logs (audited)||No logs (audited)|
|Servers||3,000+ in 90+ countries||5,500+ in 60 countries||9,000+ in 90+ countries||3,200+ in 100 countries||N/A in 80+ countries||3,000+ in 65+ countries|
|Features||Kill switch |
Data leak protection
|Kill switch |
Data leak protection
Specialized P2P servers
|Kill switch |
Data leak protection
|Kill switch |
Data leak protection
|Kill switch |
Data leak protection
|Kill switch |
Data leak protection
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days||30 days||45 days||30 days||30 days||30 days|
|Customer Support||24/7 live chat support||24/7 live chat support||24/7 live chat support||24/7 live chat support||24/7 live chat support||Regular support|
Why Do You Need a Torrenting VPN?
You need the best VPN for torrenting so that you can protect your Web activities and personal information online, as torrenting can be a risky activity. Other reasons why you need a VPN for torrenting include the following:
- Avoid Copyright Infringement Charges – While torrenting, you can easily get caught and charged with copyright infringement, especially in countries like the US. Luckily, a torrent VPN can help you avoid that by encrypting and hiding your P2P traffic.
- Hide Your IP Address – If you download torrents without protection, your IP address can easily be exposed to other users in your P2P data swarm. With a VPN, you can protect yourself from this and ensure that no one can see your real IP.
- Hide Your Browsing Activities – Your Internet provider can see everything you do online. Also, online trackers can see the same as they follow you across websites. Put an end to those privacy intrusions by placing your traffic inside a VPN tunnel.
- Bypass Bandwidth Throttling - ISPs have a habit of throttling their users’ Web connections when they notice high data usage in a short period of time. A VPN for torrenting will hide what you do online, letting you bypass throttling and unblocking your connection.
- Connect Safely to Public Wi-Fi - Thanks to their encryption, VPNs help you create secure connections using any type of Internet connection. That means you can download torrents even when using public Wi-Fi networks, known for their lack of security and privacy.
- Browse Your Home Websites While Traveling - Torrent sites are often blocked in specific countries, which means the websites you visit at home might be unavailable when you travel. A VPN can help you bypass practically any digital geo-block.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Torrenting
To choose the best VPN for torrenting, you’ll need to find a provider that offers P2P support, unblocks torrent sites, and offers features that protect your privacy. Here's what you need to consider when choosing the best VPN for torrenting:
- Ability to Unblock Torrent Sites - You'll want to have access to every torrent website with no restrictions, especially if you're in a country that imposes Web access restrictions. That means you need to find a VPN that can bypass geo-blocks.
- P2P-Compatible Server Network - Aside from finding a VPN provider with plenty of servers and server locations, ensure that you get servers that allow P2P traffic. Some VPNs allow P2P on all their servers, while others offer specialized servers only.
- Obfuscation, Kill Switch & Split Tunneling - Obfuscation will help you hide that you use a VPN, while a kill switch will prevent leaks if something happens to your VPN session. Split tunneling allows you to create a VPN and non-VPN tunnel; great for advanced users.
- Privacy & Security Features - Don't forget about the basics. The best torrenting VPN should feature protocols like OpenVPN or WireGuard, coupled with encryption such as AES-256 or ChaCha20, ensuring you get a leak-free VPN tunnel.
- Extra P2P-Related Features - Since torrent sites are typically riddled with ads, a VPN for P2P with an ad-blocker is an excellent idea. Also, some VPNs offer anti-malware scanning in the form of a dedicated app or as a component of their standard VPN app.
- Stable Performance & Fast Speed - The best VPN for downloading torrents must offer stable and fast performance without slowing down your P2P traffic. So, rely on reviews to get to know what to expect from a VPN before you buy it.
- Generous Money-Back Guarantees - Reputable VPNs offer money-back guarantees using which you can ask for a refund for up to 30 days of use. Some even offer a 45-day policy, which seems more than enough to test-drive their offerings.
- 24/7 Available Customer Support - When you encounter technical issues, you'll be happy to have access to 24/7 live chat support. Also, you'll want installation guides, explainers, and tutorials on how to best use your chosen VPN for torrenting.
The recommendations found above follow the guidelines explained above. However, if you'd like to expand your search, we also have a handy guide on the best VPN for torrenting according to Reddit.
Best VPN Location for Torrenting
The best VPN locations for torrenting and P2P traffic, in general, are those that have no data-retention laws and don’t require companies to share user data. That said, you also need to consider whether torrenting is legal and safe. Here's more info.
|Country||Torrenting Legal Status|
|Switzerland||Downloading torrents for personal use is legal and safe.|
|Spain||Downloading torrents for personal use is legal and safe.|
|Poland||Using copyrighted materials without permission isn’t legal, but using them for personal use cases is legal and safe.|
|Mexico||There are no laws or regulations that prohibit file sharing.|
|Romania||Downloading torrents for personal use is legal and safe.|
|San Marino||There are no laws or regulations that prohibit torrenting.|
|Hungary||If you aren’t torrenting to make some kind of profit, you won’t experience any legal issues.|
We offer a dedicated guide on how to choose the best country to connect to using a VPN. Use the provided link to learn what locations are suitable for protecting your data, staying away from anti-piracy agencies, and more.
Do You Need to Hide Your IP Address When Torrenting?
Yes, you need to hide your IP address when torrenting. When you download or upload torrents, your IP address is automatically added to a torrent swarm. Thus, anyone in that swarm can see your IP address and find your physical location with it. By getting access to your IP address, other users can also track your downloading activity.
By masking your IP address, you’ll prevent your ISP from seeing what you download online. This is important as, at the very least, you can avoid getting caught for copyright infringement, which often happens when you download content like games, movies, TV shows, music, and more via torrents.
Some ISPs even have to report users who engage in torrenting to the authorities. So, if you hide your IP address with a VPN, you’ll make sure the government can never catch or charge you.
Can You Get Caught Torrenting with a VPN?
Yes, you can get caught torrenting with a VPN. However, the chances of that happening are unlikely, as VPNs hide your IP address and encrypt your online activity. Most premium providers have robust IP leak protection to prevent your IP address from being exposed while you torrent.
That said, one way you can get caught torrenting with a VPN is if your provider doesn’t have a kill switch. Without a kill switch, torrent downloads will continue even if your VPN connection drops, which will expose your real IP address immediately. Thus, it’s imperative your VPN comes with a kill switch to automatically block Internet access if your VPN stops working.
Another way you can get caught torrenting is if your VPN is headquartered inside the 5/9/14-Eyes Alliance. Companies in those countries can be compelled to share information with their respective governments. Thus, using a VPN with a no-logs policy is crucial, so it won’t store or share your data, which could expose your torrenting activities.
Torrenting Not Working with a VPN – How to Fix?
If you’re unable to download torrents with your VPN, then the provider you’re using might not support torrenting. If that’s the case, you should find a different VPN to fix the issue. Other reasons and solutions you can consider include the following:
- Use a Different VPN Server – If you can’t download torrents with your VPN, the server you’re connected to might be experiencing some technical issues. You can switch to a different VPN server and try again.
- Change Your VPN Protocol – Another way to troubleshoot your VPN not working for torrenting is to try a different VPN protocol. For example, if the protocol that you were using before was UDP, you can switch to TCP and see if it works.
- Update Your VPN – Sometimes, a simple app update is all that’s keeping you from safely downloading the torrents you want. So, ensure that you’re always using the latest version of your VPN before you start torrenting.
- Check Your Internet Connection – If your Internet isn’t working properly, neither will your VPN. Ensure that your Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection is stable before you start downloading torrents. You can also restart your router to be extra sure.
- Restart Your Device / VPN App - Keeping your computer powered on for too long can cause software issues in the long run. So, try restarting your device, which is how you'll also restart your VPN application.
- Disable Your Device's Firewall Temporarily - If you use Windows, there's a big chance that your computer's firewall is blocking VPN connections. We recommend you disable this feature, at least temporarily. But make sure to enable it when your VPN doesn't run.
- Uninstall Other VPN Applications - Having more than a single VPN application can cause software conflicts, as each VPN installs its own network adapter onto your system. So, remove any extra VPN apps, and keep your primary one installed.
- Contact Your VPN Provider's Support - When nothing else helps, you can turn to your VPN's support. Hopefully, you've picked a VPN with 24/7 live chat support, so you can visit your VPN's website and initialize a new chat session in an instant.
- Pick Another VPN Provider – If none of the above-mentioned solutions fix the issue, then maybe your VPN doesn’t work for torrenting at all. In that case, it’s time to choose a more powerful one that supports torrenting and has P2P-optimized servers.
Can You Use a Free VPN for Torrenting?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for torrenting, but we don’t recommend doing that at all. Free VPNs usually sell users’ data to third parties, including governments. They also offer slow speeds and unreliable connections, which aren’t suitable for torrenting.
Moreover, a free VPN provider won’t protect you as a premium one would. For example, some won’t even hide your IP address properly, so you might find your IP leaked in your torrent swarm for everyone to see. In addition, free VPNs have limited server infrastructures, and none offer P2P-optimized servers.
When dealing with risky online activities like torrenting, your best bet is to forgo free providers and choose a premium VPN instead. With the best VPN services, your IP address will be safely hidden, along with your online activity. Furthermore, you’ll get access to thousands of P2P-optimized servers and fast Internet connection speeds.
Torrenting can be quite risky, especially in countries where it’s heavily regulated. Without a VPN, you can easily get caught and charged with copyright infringement, as your IP address will be exposed. Moreover, your ISP will be able to see your Web browsing history and slow down your Internet as a result.
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN for torrenting because it comes with excellent security and privacy features, as well as thousands of P2P-optimized servers around the world. With ExpressVPN, you can torrent safely and speedily without restrictions or worries.
What Is a Torrenting VPN?
A torrenting VPN is a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service that offers P2P-optimized servers and features that support torrenting. Some of those features include obfuscated servers, a kill switch, and split tunneling.
What's the Best VPN for Torrenting?
The best VPN for torrenting is ExpressVPN because it comes with all the necessary torrent-related features and top-notch security and privacy that’ll keep you safe online. In addition, it has more than 3,000 P2P-optimized servers and lightning-fast torrenting speeds.
Is Torrenting Legal and Safe with a VPN?
Yes, torrenting is legal and safe with a VPN as long as you only use trustworthy P2P sites to download torrents. Just make sure you connect to a VPN server in a country that doesn’t prohibit torrenting, like Switzerland or Spain, and you’ll be good to go.
What Is the Fastest VPN for Torrenting?
The fastest VPN for torrenting is ExpressVPN. Not only is this provider the best option for fast torrenting, but it’s also the fastest VPN overall, providing blazing Internet connection speeds, which is why we highly recommend subscribing.
What Is the Cheapest VPN for Torrenting?
The cheapest VPN for torrenting is Private Internet Access (PIA). You can get a subscription from the provider for as low as $2.19/month and get a full refund if you don’t like the provider’s services within 30 days of your purchase.
Is NordVPN Good for Torrenting?
Yes, NordVPN is a great choice for torrenting. It comes with a group of servers optimized for P2P, and it's powered by an audited no-logs policy and powerful VPN protocols. You also get a kill switch, obfuscation, and plenty more that you need for P2P.
Does CyberGhost Allow Torrenting?
Yes, CyberGhost VPN allows torrenting. All 9,000+ of its servers support P2P traffic, so you can connect to any of those to secure your data and download torrents anonymously.
Can You Go to Jail for Torrenting?
No, it’s highly unlikely that you could go to jail for torrenting. Of course, this still depends on the circumstances, but as long as you’re not getting caught repeatedly in a country with extremely strict torrenting laws, you probably won’t incur any kind of severe penalty.
The most common punishment for torrenting is a fine or some other type of monetary compensation, but even that’s rare.
Does a VPN Protect You When Torrenting?
Yes, a VPN protects you when torrenting. More specifically, it masks your real IP address, encrypts your Internet connection, hides your traffic, and prevents your ISP from seeing what you’re doing online.
What Is the Best VPN Protocol for Torrenting?
The best VPN protocol for torrenting is OpenVPN paired with AES-256 encryption, as that's the most secure protocol available. You can also go with WireGuard, which, even though it's still new, promises great security and fast performance.
That’s all for our guide on choosing the best VPN for torrenting. If you have any additional remarks or comments, feel free to share them with us via the comments section below. Thanks for reading!