If you're using Synology NAS to transfer or store files on the internet, using a VPN is required to secure the complete activity. Here is how to download, install, and use CyberGhost VPN on Synology NAS.
CyberGhost VPN doesn't support certain Synology NAS devices. The below steps will only be applicable if your device allows you to create VPN profiles and set up OpenVPN connections. Check for the same in your device's manual.
1. First, click here to visit the CyberGhost VPN subscription page.
2. Next, hit the Get CyberGhost VPN button.
3. Select a suitable plan on the next screen and submit your details to complete the purchase.
4. You'll receive a confirmation email next.
5. Visit the CyberGhost official website now and click My Account from the top-right corner.
6. Next, enter your Username, Password and hit the Log in button.
7. Once you can access your account, navigate to Router or other devices and hit Configure.
8. Now, fill in the below details as mentioned:
- PROTOCOL- OpenVPN 2.3 or OpenVPN TCP 2.3
- COUNTRY- Select your preferred location
- SERVER GROUP- Choose the available server group (UDP/TCP)
- DEVICE NAME- OpenVPN NAS Synology
- EXTRA FEATURES- Tick all the boxes
9. Now, hit the Save Configuration button.
10. You'll be redirected to the Manage Devices page now, find Router or other devices and click the View button next to it.
11. Your OpenVPN 2.3 credentials will be previewed now; take a note of Server Group, Username, and Password for future use.
12. Now, hit the Download Configuration button.
13. A .zip file will get downloaded now on your system; extract it to get the below documents:
- ca.crt- Server security certificate
- client.crt- Client safety certificate
- client.key- Key file
- openvpn.ovpn- OpenVPN configuration file
14. Now, you've to enable CyberGhost VPN on your Synology. But before that, disable IPv6 by following this path:
Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > LAN > Edit > IPv6 > Off > OK
15. Next, reboot your Synology.
16. After that, create a new VPN profile by following the below path:
Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > Create > Create VPN Profile
17. Once you click Create VPN Profile, a new window will open, choose OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file) from there and hit the Next button.
18. Now the General Settings screen will appear, fill the below details as mentioned:
- Profile name: Anything you want
- User name: Enter the user name that you've obtained from the configuration preview
- Password: The password should be the one shown in the configuration preview
- Import .ovpn files: Import the .ovpn file
- CA certificate: Import the file ca.crt
- Client certificate: Import the file client.crt
- Client key: Import the file client.key
19. Once done, hit the Next button.
20. On the next screen, check the boxes next to Use default gateway on a remote network and Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost.
21. Now, hit Apply to continue further.
22. Next, you will find your new VPN profile in the Network Interface window, click on it, and hit the Connect button.
23. Finally, the status of your VPN profile will change from Disconnected to Connected.
That's all! Now you know how to download, install, and use CyberGhost VPN on Synology NAS. If you want to install this VPN on other devices, follow our complete setup guide. Thanks for reading!