You’ll be happy to know that ExpressVPN is compatible with a range of routers, bringing a straightforward way to protect the source of your Web connection. With that said, let’s talk about how to set up and use ExpressVPN on a Linksys router.
If you have a compatible Linksys router, you can count on using ExpressVPN’s custom firmware, simplifying this whole procedure. Therefore, the following procedure is available on these Linksys router models:
- Linksys EA6200
- Linksys WRT1200AC
- Linksys WRT1900AC 13J1
- Linksys WRT1900AC 13J2
- Linksys WRT1900ACS
- Linksys WRT1900ACS V2
- Linksys WRT3200ACM
- Linksys WRT32X
Keep in mind that installing custom firmware might void your Linksys router’s warranty. And also, installing ExpressVPN’s firmware will reset your router’s configuration, including any custom Wi-Fi network names or passwords.
1. First, make sure to subscribe to ExpressVPN.
2. You’ll land on ExpressVPN’s website, where you need to select ‘Get ExpressVPN.’
3. Once you pick a subscription plan, provide your email, and then finalize the procedure.
4. Expect to receive a confirmation email once done, so check your email inbox.
5. Then, return to ExpressVPN’s website (start by visiting its home page).
6. Click on ‘My Account‘ and provide your email and password. Select ‘Sign In.’
7. If asked for a verification code, check your email inbox and copy it from there.
8. Once you access your online dashboard, select ‘Set Up Other Devices.’
9. On the left-hand side, pick ‘Router.’ Then, take a look on the right side.
10. In the ‘Firmware Download‘ segment, pick the model of your Linksys router.
11. Download the firmware and make sure to keep your online dashboard open.
12. Then, access your router by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser’s Address bar.
13. If you can’t access your router, double-check if you have the correct IP address.
14. Then, you’ll be asked to sign-in. By default, the password should be ‘password.’
15. Using your router’s dashboard, select ‘Connectivity‘ on the left-hand side.
16. Then, pick ‘Choose File.’ Select the ExpressVPN firmware from your computer.
17. Click on ‘Start.’ You might be asked to confirm your decision, so click on ‘Yes.’
18. If warned about an unrecognized firmware, dismiss those messages or click on ‘Yes.’
19. Once the firmware installs, you’ll need to select ‘OK‘ to reboot your router.
20. Wait until your router reboots all the way, which might take a couple of minutes.
21. Once done, connect to the router either via cable or Wi-Fi.
22. Your router has been reset – so make sure to use its default password.
23. Now, you will be redirected to www.expressvpnrouter.com via your Web browser.
24. If you’re not redirected, type in the URL mentioned above manually.
25. Welcome to ExpressVPN’s Setup Guide! Click on ‘Get Started.’
26. Follow the on-screen prompts and finalize the setup procedure.
27. And lastly, make sure to keep a note of your Wi-Fi name and password and your router’s admin password (set while setting up your ExpressVPN firmware). That’s it!
That would be all on how to set up ExpressVPN on a Linksys router. If you have any questions regarding the above-explained procedure, make sure to post your comment below. And of course, thank you for reading!