ExpressVPN offers custom firmware for a range of VPN-compatible Linksys routers. That means you'll set up ExpressVPN on a Linksys router by replacing the device's stock firmware. This is a very simple procedure, after which you'll use your router's interface to connect to VPN servers.
Before we begin, know that ExpressVPN's firmware works on a limited range of Linksys routers. More precisely, you need one of the following models:
|Linksys EA6200||Linksys WRT1900ACS|
|Linksys WRT1200AC||Linksys WRT1900ACS V2|
|Linksys WRT1900AC 13J1||Linksys WRT3200ACM|
|Linksys WRT1900AC 13J2||Linksys WRT32X|
Also, installing custom firmware (such as ExpressVPN's) will void your Linksys router's warranty. It will reset your router's configuration as well, including any custom Wi-Fi network names or passwords which you'll need to create from scratch (using ExpressVPN's setup guide).
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on a Linksys Router
If you have a compatible Linksys router, getting started with ExpressVPN is a piece of cake. These are the exact steps you need to take:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your computer and your favorite Web browser.
2. After subscribing, click "My Account" using the main menu on ExpressVPN's website (you'll find it at the top). Provide your credentials and access your ExpressVPN dashboard.
3. Navigate to Set Up Other Devices > Router. In the "Firmware Download" section, select the model of your Linksys router and download it to your computer.
4. Access your Linksys router by entering "192.168.1.1" in your browser’s address bar. You’ll be asked to sign in. By default, the password should be "password."
5. Using your router’s dashboard, go to Connectivity > Choose File. Select the firmware file you downloaded moments ago.
6. Click "Start." You might be asked to confirm your decision, so click "Yes."
7. Once the firmware installs, you’ll need to select "OK" to reboot your router.
8. Wait until your router reboots all the way, which might take a couple of minutes. Once done, connect to the router either via cable or Wi-Fi.
9. Now, you will be redirected to www.expressvpnrouter.com via your Web browser. If you're not redirected, type in the URL mentioned above manually.
10. Click "Get Started," follow the on-screen prompts, and finalize the setup procedure. Lastly, make sure to keep a note of your Wi-Fi name and password and your router’s admin password (set while setting up your ExpressVPN firmware). That’s it!
As soon as you set up ExpressVPN on your Linksys router, you'll gain the ability to connect to any of its 3,000+ servers. So, access your VPN dashboard and inspect the settings you'll find there, making sure you get the performance and features you need.
However, don't forget that ExpressVPN offers standalone clients (apps) as well, which means you can use it outside your home. To learn more, here's how to set up ExpressVPN on devices like computers, phones, tablets, and more.
That would be all on how to set up ExpressVPN on a Linksys router. If you have any questions, make sure to post your comment below. And, of course, thank you for reading!