July 9, 2023
Smart TVs made by Samsung can't run VPN applications. However, ExpressVPN has a couple of workarounds that you can use. You can set up this VPN on your router, allowing you to use your VPN Wi-Fi network from any device in your household. Or you can set up ExpressVPN on a Samsung TV using 'MediaStreamer,' a SmartDNS service that lets you unblock streaming apps.
The router-based method is useful if you want ExpressVPN on a Samsung TV to unblock non-US streaming services (like UK's BBC iPlayer, for example). If you want to unblock US-based apps (like Netflix, Hulu, or Max, for example), ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer will do the job.
To get ExpressVPN on your Samsung TV, you must choose between setting up the VPN on your router or using its SmartDNS service (MediaStreamer). So, these are your options:
By installing ExpressVPN on a router, you'll get this VPN to work at the source of your home Wi-Fi network. Any device you connect to your Wi-Fi will receive the same VPN protection. Since that can include your TV, this method is the best way to put ExpressVPN on a Samsung TV and get all of its VPN features (encryption, anti-tracking, and more).
Here's a general guide on how to get ExpressVPN on a Samsung TV via router:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your Web browser.
2. Go back to ExpressVPN's website and select "My Account" in the top-right corner of its interface. Provide your credentials and access your online dashboard.
3. Click "Set Up Other Devices." Then, pick "Manual Configuration" on the left side.
4. On the right, note your OpenVPN username and password. Select a server you'd like to use and download its OpenVPN (OVPN) file to your computer.
5. Click "Select Your Device" and then pick your router's brand. A new page will open with the instructions applicable to your router's brand and model.
6. Follow the instructions on ExpressVPN's website to set it up on your router.
7. Once done, connect to your VPN Wi-Fi network from your Samsung TV. That's it!
Now that you know the general instructions, there are two things to remember. First, you'll need a router that supports VPNs. Then, you'll need to go through a lengthy procedure of setting up ExpressVPN on a router. Use the link we've provided to get our in-depth guide.
Another way to purchase Aircove by ExpressVPN, the VPN's own router. That's how you'll avoid having to configure the VPN manually. As such, it presents the best way to set up ExpressVPN on a Samsung TV. Here's how to set up ExpressVPN on Aircove.
This method will instruct you to change your Samsung TV's DNS settings, routing its traffic through ExpressVPN's US servers. So, you'll get to unblock US-based apps. Here's what you need to do:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
2. Once you subscribe, click "My Account" using the ExpressVPN website's main menu (you'll find that option at the top). Provide your credentials and access your ExpressVPN dashboard.
3. Click "DNS Settings" on the left. First, click on the "Register My IP Address" button (under "IP Address Registration"). Then, flip the switch labeled "Automatically Register My IP Address."
4. Then, return one step (to the homepage of your online dashboard). Navigate to Set Up Other Devices > MediaStreamer. Note your MediaStreamer IPs on the right.
5. Turn to your Samsung TV for the rest of this procedure. Using your TV’s remote, press the "Menu" button. Then, navigate to Network > Network Status.
6. Once your TV checks your Web connection, click on the "IP Settings" button.
7. Select "DNS Setting" and pick "Enter Manually." Enter the string of numbers from ExpressVPN’s site.
8. To save these changes, press the "Enter" button on your remote. Then, select "OK." Your TV will recheck your Web connection. No errors should appear at this point.
9. Finally, click "Close" to exit the setup screen and finalize this procedure.
Even though Samsung TVs can't run VPNs, you still have a couple of viable options. You can get ExpressVPN on a Samsung TV using a router, which requires some time to complete. And if you want the easiest option, you can use ExpressVPN via its MediaStreamer.
Aside from setting up ExpressVPN on Samsung TV, you can run this VPN on plenty more devices as well. So, make sure to check our central guide on how to set up ExpressVPN. And if you have more TVs in your household, here's how to set up ExpressVPN on any smart TV.
That would be all about how to set up and use ExpressVPN on a Samsung TV. In case of any questions or doubts, make sure to post your comment below. Lastly, thank you for reading!