You can set up ExpressVPN on a Netgear router using ExpressVPN's firmware. That means the VPN will replace your router's stock firmware, giving you the ability to connect to over 3,000+ VPN servers and protect your entire household at once.
However, know that ExpressVPN's firmware is limited to a handful of Netgear devices. More precisely, it works on the following router models: Netgear R6300v2, R6400v2, R6700v3, Nighthawk R7000, and Nighthawk R7000P.
Also, installing any third-party firmware (including the one supplied by ExpressVPN) might void your router’s warranty. Therefore, make sure to go into the following process well-informed, knowing the risks of installing custom firmware on your device.
With that out of our way, let's show you how to connect to ExpressVPN from your Netgear router.
How to Set Up ExpressVPN on a Netgear Router
To set up ExpressVPN on a supported Netgear router, you need to download and then install ExpressVPN's firmware. These are the steps you need to take:
1. Sign up for ExpressVPN using your computer and a Web browser.
2. Once you sign up, click "My Account" using the top-placed main menu on the ExpressVPN site. Access your ExpressVPN account dashboard by providing your credentials.
3. Navigate to Set Up Other Devices > Router. Select your Netgear router model and click "Download Firmware" to save the file to your computer.
4. Make sure that you’re connected to your router (via cable or Wi-Fi). Then, access its admin panel by entering 192.168.0.1 in your browser’s address bar. If the IP mentioned above doesn’t work, consult your Netgear router’s manual.
5. Click on the "Advanced" tab at the top of your router’s admin panel interface. Then, select "Administration" on the left and pick "Router Update."
6. On the right-hand side, click on the "Browse" button. Navigate to the ExpressVPN firmware that you downloaded moments ago. Then, click "Upload" and update your router.
7. Once your router restarts, connect to your router once again. You can do that via an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi. Your router’s Wi-Fi network will be reset, which means you’ll need to use its default password.
8. Once you connect, you should be taken to www.expressvpnrouter.com. If you're not taken to the website mentioned above, visit that URL manually.
9. You’ll now need to go through ExpressVPN’s setup. Click on "Get Started" to begin. Follow the on-screen prompts to finalize setting up ExpressVPN on your Netgear router. That's it!
Lastly, we have an additional tip. While setting up ExpressVPN on your Netgear router, you'll be asked to set your Wi-Fi network name and password, as well as the password of your router's admin panel. All of those are essential pieces of information, so store them somewhere safe.
Your choice to set up ExpressVPN on your Netgear router allows you to protect your privacy on any number of devices in your household. As it comes with a streamlined way to protect a group of devices while also letting you switch between servers and protocols without much fuss.
Don't forget that you can use ExpressVPN's native software as well. So, here's how to set up ExpressVPN on all its supported devices - covering computers, phones, and more.
Does ExpressVPN Work With Netgear?
Yes, ExpressVPN works with select Netgear routers. It offers its own custom firmware so that you can fine-tune and review your VPN connection at all times.
What Netgear Routers Are Compatible With ExpressVPN?
The following Netgear models work with ExpressVPN: Netgear R6300v2, R6400v2, R6700v3, Nighthawk R7000, and Nighthawk R7000P.
Other Netgear routers can also work, in theory. However, you'll need to configure the VPN manually via OpenVPN, which can be a somewhat complicated procedure.
How Do I Connect ExpressVPN to a Netgear Router?
The easiest way to connect ExpressVPN to a Netgear router is via ExpressVPN's firmware. That means you'll replace Netgear's firmware with ExpressVPN's, giving you total control over your VPN connection.
How Do I Use ExpressVPN on a Netgear Router?
You can use ExpressVPN on your Netgear router by accessing your dashboard using the following URL: www.expressvpnrouter.com (after installing ExpressVPN's firmware). That's how you can change a server, switch to another VPN protocol, and more.
That would be all on how to set up ExpressVPN on a Netgear router. In case of any questions – make sure to post your comment just below. Lastly, thank you for reading!