To activate ExpressVPN’s premium apps, you’ll need to supply an activation code. So, let’s talk about how to find and use your ExpressVPN activation code. And later on, we’ll answer some related yet crucial questions.
First, here’s how to navigate to your ExpressVPN activation code. Remember that you need an active subscription to this VPN before proceeding. So, here’s what you need to do.
- Using any Web browser, navigate to ExpressVPN’s Sign-In website.
- Take a look at the top of the ExpressVPN homepage, where you’ll see the website’s main navigation menu. You need to click on ‘My Account.’ If you’re using a smartphone, use the ‘hamburger’ button in the top-right corner and select ‘My Account.’ After a few moments, a new page will open, asking for your email and password.
- Make sure to use the same email account that’s registered with your ExpressVPN account. Once you supply your log-in credentials, click on the red-colored ‘Sign In’ button.
- If this is the first time you’re logging into your account or haven’t accessed it in a while, ExpressVPN will ask for a code. So, make sure to check your inbox and paste the code you’ll find there. Keep in mind that this isn’t ExpressVPN’s activation code. This is simply a code for accessing your Web-based user dashboard.
- At this moment, you should see your account dashboard on ExpressVPN’s website. Take a look at the right side of the page. You’ll see a card titled “Set Up Your Devices.” In the bottom portion of that card is your ExpressVPN activation code.
- Finally, copy your activation code and proceed with setting up ExpressVPN on your device. Once you paste it, the VPN will be ready to be used.
Why, When, Where & How to Get ExpressVPN’s Activation Code?
Unlike other VPNs, ExpressVPN uses an innovative method that makes logging-in to your account as easy as possible. This is precisely where the VPN’s activation code comes into play, as each registered account gets one.
Further Reading: TechNadu’s ExpressVPN Review
So, let’s explain when you’ll need an ExpressVPN activation code, all the ways to get one, and other things you should know about.
When Will You Need to Use an ExpressVPN Activation Code?
There are several possible situations where ExpressVPN’s activation code is absolutely required. Keep in mind that we’re talking about a highly important code here, needed to access the VPN’s app on desktop systems primarily.
Once you subscribe to ExpressVPN, you’ll automatically get your personal activation code. You’re going to need it in the following cases:
- When you’re installing an ExpressVPN app on your device: This primarily applies to ExpressVPN’s apps for desktop systems, as this VPN only has a single way to let you log-in (you can’t log-in using your email and password, for example).
- When you sign-out of ExpressVPN apps on any device: By default, this VPN app will keep you signed in, so you can launch and start using it in a matter of seconds. If you decide to sign-out, you’ll need your activation code to go back in.
- In case you uninstall ExpressVPN and decide to reinstall it: Keep in mind that uninstalling ExpressVPN deletes all your information from your computer regarding ExpressVPN. That’s why an activation code is needed when trying to install it again.
- In case your previous activation code expires: This typically happens if your subscription expires, which makes your activation code obsolete. Renewing your subscription will get you a new activation code, accessible via the VPN’s website.
Where to Activate Your ExpressVPN Activation Code?
As soon as you subscribe to ExpressVPN, this VPN service will automatically generate your custom activation code. This means you’ll have that same code for the duration of your subscription, which can be used across any of the VPN’s apps.
In other words, ExpressVPN’s activation code isn’t “activated” in any specific way. Instead, it gets assigned to you (or to your particular ExpressVPN account, that is). The only way to access it is by logging in to your account, as described above.
Can You Get ExpressVPN’s Activation Code for Free? Is There an Online Activation Code Generator to Activate the Premium Account?
Many of you have probably tried searching for ExpressVPN code generators, or perhaps for a cracked version. Google will present a long list of results – but you’re going to find only one thing. We’re talking about malware-ridden websites.
Also, keep in mind one crucial thing. Services like ExpressVPN can’t be cracked. There are simply no code generators that will ever help you generate a valid key. There are several reasons for this, as follows.
- Activation Codes Are Unique: To obtain your activation code, you need to log-in to your account on ExpressVPN’s website. To log in, you need to supply a code sent to your email address. There are other systems in place to secure your activation code, which simply can’t be manipulated maliciously.
- A Limited Number of Simultaneous Connections: ExpressVPN supports up to five simultaneous connections. You can see why it would be impossible for an application like this one to be pirated. There’s simply no way to use more than five connections at the same time.
- Eliminating Any Potential Misuse: Keep in mind that we’re talking about a VPN that logs no personal data. However, ExpressVPN is doing plenty to combat any type of misuse. Since the user-client constantly “talks” with servers, the VPN can easily see if someone is tampering with the software.
With all of this said, we hope that you can see why there aren’t any pirated versions of ExpressVPN. You shouldn’t waste your time trying to search for one, as this will most probably lead to malware and other “hidden” dangers of the Internet.
ExpressVPN Activation Code Not Working? Try These Solutions!
If there’s a problem activating your copy of ExpressVPN, you will see an error message preventing you from accessing the VPN. To save you both time and effort, we’ll offer several solutions to this problem, based on what error message you’re seeing.
- Error Message 1: “Your activation code is incorrect. Please try again or contact support” – You’ve probably tried to type in your activation code, and there’s a typo. Instead of typing in the code, we recommend copying it from your account (from ExpressVPN’s site). Also, make sure that your subscription is still valid (not expired).
- Error Message 2: “Please make sure your email address and password are correct” – You’ve probably mistyped your email address or password. Pay attention to special characters or whether the Caps Lock key is enabled. You can also try logging in to your account on ExpressVPN’s website. And ultimately, try resetting your password (via ExpressVPN’s website).
- Error Message 3: “Please check your connection and try again” – For some reason, ExpressVPN thinks you aren’t connected to the Web. This means that something is preventing the application from contacting its servers to validate your ExpressVPN activation code. A solution is to change your DNS settings. For more info, check below.
Change DNS Parameters on Windows
- Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Now, make sure to right-click on the active connection and select ‘Properties.’
- The ‘Networking’ tab should now be selected. Click on ‘Internet Protocol Version 4’ and then click on the ‘Properties’ button, just below.
- Click on the radio button that says, “Use the following DNS server addresses.” You can go ahead with “126.96.36.199” and “188.8.131.52.” These are Cloudflare’s DNS servers.
- Now, click on ‘OK’ until you dismiss all the open windows. Return to ExpressVPN’s log-in screen and try to log-in once again. Also, feel free to revert to the original DNS settings once you log-in to the VPN.
Change DNS Parameters on macOS
- Go to Apple > System Preferences > Network.
- You need to select the active connection, followed by clicking on ‘Advanced.’
- Make sure to select the ‘DNS’ tab. Click on ‘+’ in the bottom left corner and enter the following addresses – 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
- Click ‘OK‘ > ‘Apply.’ Then, return to ExpressVPN and try logging in once again.
- Keep in mind that you can revert to the original DNS parameters once you manage to start using the VPN.
Change DNS Parameters on Linux
- Navigate to Settings > Preferences > Network Connections.
- Then, you must select the Web connection that’s active right now. Click on ‘Edit’ and then choose ‘IPv4 Settings.’
- To proceed, select ‘Automatic (DHCP) Addresses Only.’ In the DNS servers field, go ahead with 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 – and then click on ‘Apply.’
- Return to ExpressVPN’s app and try logging in again. If you succeed, know that you can revert your new DNS settings to the original parameters.
Change DNS Parameters on Android
Every Android device comes with a different UI. That’s why it would be impossible to predict how exactly the following steps will look on your phone. So, we’ll give you general guidelines that should work on most modern Android smartphones.
- Open the Settings app, and then go to ‘Network & Internet.’
- You need to go into the Wi-Fi settings, followed by selecting the currently active Wi-Fi connection. Make sure to open that particular connection’s settings.
- Select ‘Advanced Options’ and then change IP settings to static.
- You’ll be asked for two DNS addresses, so make sure to use 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52. Save your new DNS parameters and exit the Settings app.
- Try logging to your VPN once again by providing your ExpressVPN activation code. If everything goes well, you can restore the original DNS parameters.
Change DNS Parameters on iOS
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > and then tap on your current Web connection.
- Under ‘DNS,’ change it from ‘Automatic’ to ‘Manual.’ Then, remove any existing DNS servers that you might see on your screen.
- Tap on ‘Add Server’ and go ahead with 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 – which are Cloudflare’s DNS servers. Save your settings and return to ExpressVPN.
- Once you manage to log-in, you can return to the Settings app and revert your DNS parameters to their original values.
Change DNS Parameters on Routers
- First, you need to access your router by using its IP address. If you’ve tried to install ExpressVPN on it, you probably already know the IP. If you don’t, doing a Google search while using the exact model number should do the trick.
- Then, log-in to your router admin panel. Find a group of settings related to DNS parameters.
- Make sure to use Cloudflare’s DNS addresses – 1.1.1.. and 18.104.22.168. Save those, and then return to ExpressVPN and try to log-in.
- If everything goes well, you can go back to the original DNS parameters on your router.
In case you have any further questions, know that you can always rely on ExpressVPN’s support. This VPN’s website offers an option to talk live with support agents, which should help you resolve any issue. Also, you can always send an email to email@example.com.
And with that said, you’ve reached the end of our guide on using ExpressVPN activation codes. If there’s anything you’d like to let us know, make sure to post your comment below. And if you think this article might help others as well, why not share it online? Thank you!