Updating Kodi can be confusing, especially since you can’t update it the “usual” way. You’re probably used to updating applications from within their interfaces, typically by going into a menu and choosing ‘Check for Update.’ Well, the situation is a bit different when it comes to updating Kodi – but there’s no reason to worry.
In general, updating Kodi requires you to reinstall the application. That way, you replace or upgrade outdated files, which essentially patches Kodi to the latest available version. This is especially important to remember if you want to keep your media library intact.
However, if you’re experiencing problems with Kodi, you might want to delete the old version first (and therefore lose your media library), and then install the latest version from scratch. To check solutions to technical issues, see our Kodi troubleshooting guide.
So, let’s get started. Here’s everything you need to know on how to update Kodi in 2021, covering all of the natively supported platforms.
- How to Update Kodi on Windows
- How to Update Kodi on macOS
- How to Update Kodi on Linux
- How to Update Kodi on Android
- How to Update Kodi on Firestick
- How to Update Kodi on Xbox
- How to Update Kodi on iPhone & iPad
- How to Update Kodi on Chromebooks
- How to Update Kodi on Apple TV
- How to Update Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV
- How to Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
- How to Update Kodi on Smart TVs
What’s the Latest Available Version of Kodi?
The latest available version of Kodi is – Kodi 19 ‘Matrix,’ released in February 2021. As one could expect, v19 brings a whole slate of fixes and performance improvements. There are also some new features and refinements focused on supporting modern video formats.
However, as noted in the introduction, Kodi 19 isn’t compatible with many addons. If you already have a sizable library of addons on Kodi 18, the majority of those will be disabled once you update to the latest available version of the application. It will take time until developers update their addons, so the situation should get better soon.
To check the best addons you have right now (for both Kodi v18 and v19), we’ve prepared a handy guide. So, these are the 60 best-working Kodi addons in 2021.
How to Update Kodi on Windows
The easiest way to update Kodi on Windows is via a script called ‘Kodi Windows Installer.’ Here’s our step-by-step guide on updating Kodi on Windows (if you’ve installed Kodi by downloading it from its official website).
- On your Windows PC, use any Internet browser to open the overview of the Kodi Windows Installer script (the link we’ve provided will take you to Kodi’s website). Then, click on the ‘Download‘ button, and a ZIP file will download to your computer.
- Now, open Kodi and click on ‘Add-ons‘ using the main menu. Click on the open box icon in the top-left corner and choose the ‘Install from ZIP file‘ option.
- Navigate to the path of the recently downloaded file. If you can’t find it, move the file to your desktop, and use Kodi to navigate to C: > Users(username) >Desktop. Then, click on the ZIP file.
- After a few moments, the script will be installed. Go ahead and open it by choosing ‘Add-ons’ from the main menu.
- The addon will show you a list of categories, so make sure to select ‘Released‘ to install the latest publicly available version of Kodi. The application will finalize the procedure on its own, and you’ll need to restart it. That’s it!
In case you want in-depth information on updating Kodi (suitable for complete beginners), check our guide on installing Kodi on Windows. That’s where you’ll find three methods, with step-by-step instructions and helpful screenshots as well.
How to Update Kodi on macOS
There is only one way to update Kodi on macOS, and that is by reinstalling the application. This will save all your content and simply update the new code over your existing setup. So, here’s how to update Kodi on macOS.
- Visit Kodi’s official website using any Web browser, and click on the ‘Download‘ button using the website’s main navigation bar (visible in the top-right corner).
- Now, scroll down and select ‘MacOS.’ Make sure that the ‘Recommended‘ tab is selected, and click on the button that says ‘Installer (64bit),’ which will download the latest installation file for Kodi.
- Once the file is downloaded, open it by double-clicking on it.
- Lastly, drag-and-drop Kodi’s application file onto your Application folder. You’ll be asked whether you want to replace the existing file, so confirm your decision.
As you can see, this process is exactly the same as when you installed Kodi on macOS. So, use the provided link to go to our dedicated article, where you’ll find helpful screenshots and additional information.
How to Update Kodi on Linux
As Linux users already know, applications are typically installed on this operating system by typing a series of commands. Therefore, it’s not surprising to see this same procedure applying to Kodi. Here’s how to update Kodi on Linux.
- First, run the Terminal interface (CTRL + ALT + T).
- Input this command first: sudo apt-get update and confirm by pressing ‘Enter.’
- Then, use this command: sudo apt-get upgrade.
- And finally, input this command: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
- That’s it! Kodi will now be downloaded and updated to the latest available stable version.
If you have a Linux distribution with ‘Software Updater’ included, you can use this utility. In case something goes wrong, you can return one step and install Kodi on Linux once again from scratch. This is the safest way to avoid any potential issues.
How to Update Kodi on Android
Android users rely on the Google Play Store to download and install apps, where their operating system does all the heavy lifting. With this said, you can use the Play Store to update your apps, including Kodi.
- Launch the Play Store on your Android device.
- Click on the hamburger button in the top-left corner.
- Then, select ‘My Apps & Games.’
- If any updates are available, this is where you’ll see them. Click on ‘Update‘ on the right side of the screen to update Kodi.
In case you’ve ‘sideloaded’ Kodi on your Android device, you’ll need to reinstall a new version of Kodi over the existing one. For more in-depth information, read our article on how to install Kodi on Android, where you’ll find everything you need to know.
How to Update Kodi on Firestick
Sadly, you can’t download Kodi on FireOS using the Amazon App Store. However, there are several methods of getting Kodi to work on your FireOS device, as this is an Android app after all. So, here’s our general description of how to update Kodi on FireOS.
- First, you need to download a handy app called ‘Downloader,’ found on Amazon’s App Store. Then, open the app and navigate to https://kodi.tv (using the Downloader app on your Fire TV Stick).
- You need to select ‘Download‘ and then click on the Android logo. Make sure the ‘Recommended‘ tab is selected, and then click on ‘ARMV7A (32BIT).‘ This will download Kodi’s installation file to your Fire TV Stick.
- Open the file and then proceed with the installation. This will install a new version of Kodi without messing up with your custom content on your existing Kodi version.
To update Kodi on FireOS, you need to reinstall the application. If you need a reminder of how this is done (along with helpful screenshots), here’s how to install Kodi on FireOS devices.
How to Update Kodi on Xbox
By default, your Xbox will keep all your games and apps updated automatically. Still, there might be a glitch in this process, which is when you need to update apps manually. So, here’s how to update Kodi on your Xbox One X/S and Series X/S.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide on your screen.
- Select ‘My Games & Apps.’
- Now, on the left side of the screen, select ‘Updates.’
- If there’s an update for Kodi available, this is where you’ll get to download and install it.
We recommend you fully automate this process by going to Settings > System > Updates. This is where you set your Xbox to automatically apply the latest updates, including system and app/game updates. In case you’d like to go with a fresh install, here’s how to install Kodi on Xbox.
How to Update Kodi on iPhone & iPad
Sadly, Kodi is missing from the iOS App Store. Even though this application offers a fully-featured iOS app, Apple doesn’t allow its presence on the App Store. That’s why you need to use a workaround when installing Kodi on iOS.
Clicking on the provided link will take you to our in-depth guide on installing Kodi on iOS. This is where you’ll see two methods, depending on which platform you use on your computer (which is needed to install Kodi on your iPhone/iPad).
To update Kodi, you need to reinstall it. However, we do suggest completely removing Kodi from your iOS device first and then installing it from scratch (which will eliminate any custom content you might have added).
How to Update Kodi on Chromebooks
In case you’ve bought your Chromebook during the last year or so, you probably have access to the Google Play Store. If that’s the case, all you need to do is update the app through Google’s app store – which means that your Chromebook will do the job on its own.
As noted in our article on how to install Kodi on Chrome OS, there are several ways to get Kodi on notebooks without the Play Store. You can use ‘Arc Welder’ for this purpose and then make Kodi run as a Chrome extension. Even though this method is considered experimental, it’s your best bet of running Kodi right now.
How to Update Kodi on Apple TV
In the past, Kodi used to be present on Apple TV devices via ‘sideloading.’ After a brief pause, Kodi 19 ‘Matrix’ once again offers a fully-featured app designed specifically for tvOS. If you already have Kodi installed on your Apple TV, you probably use a very old version, so you’ll be making a big jump when updating Kodi to v19.
If you want to update Kodi on Apple’s media streaming device, you need to repeat the procedure of installing Kodi on Apple TV. Use the provided link to read our hands-on guide detailing all of the currently available methods.
How to Update Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV
Nvidia Shield TV is powered by Android TV, meaning that you can find Kodi in the Play Store. In addition, your Shield TV will automatically update Kodi when a new update is published. However, it’s also good to know how to update Kodi on Shield TV manually.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Shield TV.
- Now, select ‘My Apps.’
- This is where you’ll see a list of installed apps, as well as any updates available.
- Update individual apps from here, or click on ‘Update All‘ to update all of them at once.
If you’d rather install Kodi from scratch, we have a helpful article for you. Here’s how to install Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV, the easy way.
How to Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
Assembling your own Raspberry Pi device can be a highly educational process. If you already know how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi, you know that you can use LibreELEC. To install Kodi 19 Matrix, you need to update your LibreELEC installation, so here’s how that is done.
- Open Settings > LibreELEC/OpenELEC.
- Navigate to ‘System,’ which is where you’ll see the ‘Updates‘ section.
- Select ‘Update Channel‘ and choose the ‘Main Version.’
- Next, select ‘Available Versions‘ and choose the latest available version.
- Confirm your decision, and LibreELEC will update on its own.
In case you encounter any technical problems along the way, or if you want to start with Kodi from scratch, here’s how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi.
How to Update Kodi on Smart TVs
Kodi is available on a wide range of smart TV models. However, those who use Android TV are in the best possible position. Here’s how to update Kodi on those smart TV models:
- Open the Play Store on your Android TV.
- On the left side of the screen, select ‘My Apps.’
- This is where you’ll see the list of available updates. Select ‘Kodi.’
- Finally, select ‘Update,’ and your Android TV will do the rest.
As noted in our article on how to install Kodi on smart TVs, non-Android TV models need to rely on screen mirroring, meaning you need to update Kodi on the device you have it installed. Make sure to use the provided link, where it’s all nicely explained.
Want to Learn More About Kodi?
So, what’s next after you update Kodi? Well, you can import your media library, install add-ons, and more. Here are some resources that can help you take full advantage of this highly capable application.
- How to Enable Unknown Sources on Kodi
- Find the Best Kodi Addons
- Find the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
- How to Add Subtitles to Kodi
Dear readers, that would be all on how to update Kodi. If you have anything to say or ask, don’t hesitate to post a comment below. We’ll do our best to provide a timely response. And of course – enjoy using Kodi!