Updating Kodi can be confusing, especially since you can’t update it the "usual" way. You’re probably used to updating applications from within their interface, typically by going into a menu and choosing 'Check for Update.' Well, the situation is a bit different when it comes to updating Kodi - but there’s no reason to worry.
In general, updating Kodi requires you to reinstall the application. That way, you replace or upgrade outdated files, which will patch Kodi to the latest available version. This is especially important to remember if you want to keep your media library intact.
However, if you’re experiencing problems with Kodi, you might want to delete the old version first (and therefore lose your media library and addons), and then install the latest version from scratch. To check solutions to technical issues, see our Kodi troubleshooting guide.
Kodi 19 ‘Matrix’ is the latest available major version of the application (Kodi 19.1, Kodi 19.2, Kodi 19.3, and Kodi 19.4 were also released). Still, if you haven’t updated Kodi yet, know that the latest version breaks compatibility with a large number of add-ons.
You’ll need to wait for third-party developers to make their add-ons compatible with Kodi 19, which could take a while. We’ve seen some progress when it comes to add-ons from Kodi’s official repository. However, the situation is still very problematic for add-ons that come from outside Kodi’s repository.
Finally, here’s everything you need to know on how to update Kodi in 2022, covering all of the natively supported platforms.
- How to Update Kodi on Windows
- How to Update Kodi on macOS
- How to Update Kodi on Linux
- How to Update Kodi on Android
- How to Update Kodi on Firestick
- How to Update Kodi on Xbox
- How to Update Kodi on iPhone & iPad
- How to Update Kodi on Chromebooks
- How to Update Kodi on Apple TV
- How to Update Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV
- How to Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
- How to Update Kodi on Smart TVs
How to Update Kodi on Windows
The easiest way to update Kodi on Windows is via a script called 'Kodi Windows Installer.' Here’s our step-by-step guide on updating Kodi on Windows (if you’ve installed Kodi by downloading it from its official website).
- On your PC, use a Web browser to open the overview of Kodi's Windows Installer.
- Click on the 'Windows' link, and a ZIP file will download to your computer.
- Open Kodi and click on 'Add-ons' using the main menu.
- Click on the open box icon in the top-left corner and choose the 'Install from ZIP file' option.
- Navigate to the path of the recently downloaded file. If you can’t find it, move it to your desktop, and use Kodi to navigate to C: > Users(username) >Desktop. Then, click on the ZIP file.
- After a few moments, the script will be installed.
- Go ahead and open it by choosing 'Add-ons' from the main menu.
- The addon will show you a list of categories, so make sure to select 'Releases.'
- Select the latest version of Kodi and proceed to update the application.
- The application will finalize the procedure on its own, and you’ll need to restart it. That’s it!
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on Windows
How to Update Kodi on macOS
There is only one way to update Kodi on macOS, and that is by reinstalling the application. This will save all your content and simply update the new code over your existing setup. So, here’s how to update Kodi on macOS.
- Visit Kodi’s official website using any Web browser.
- Click on the blue-colored 'Download' button using the website’s main navigation bar.
- Now, scroll down and select 'MacOS.'
- Make sure that the 'Recommended' tab is selected.
- Click on the button that says 'Installer (64bit).'
- Once the file is downloaded, open it by double-clicking on it.
- Lastly, drag-and-drop Kodi’s application file onto your Application folder.
- You’ll be asked whether you want to replace the existing file, so confirm your decision.
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on macOS
How to Update Kodi on Linux
As Linux users already know, applications are typically installed on this operating system by typing commands. Therefore, it’s not surprising to see this same procedure applying to Kodi. Here’s how to update Kodi on Linux.
- First, run the Terminal interface (CTRL + ALT + T).
- Input this command first: sudo apt-get update and confirm by pressing 'Enter.'
- Then, use this command: sudo apt-get upgrade.
- And finally, input this command: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
- That’s it! Kodi will now be downloaded and updated to the latest available stable version.
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on Linux
How to Update Kodi on Android
Android users rely on the Google Play Store to download and install apps, with their operating system doing all the heavy lifting. With this said, you can use the Play Store to update your apps, including Kodi.
- Launch the Play Store on your Android device.
- In the top-right corner, select your profile icon.
- Then, select 'Manage Apps & Device.'
- If any updates are available, this is where you’ll see them.
- Click on 'Update' to update Kodi. That's it!
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on Android
How to Update Kodi on Firestick
You can’t download Kodi on FireOS using the Amazon App Store. However, there are several methods of getting Kodi to work on your FireOS device, as this is an Android app after all. So, here’s our general description of how to update Kodi on FireOS.
- First, you need to download a handy app called 'Downloader,' found on Amazon’s App Store.
- Open the app and navigate to https://kodi.tv (using the Downloader app on your Fire TV Stick).
- You need to select 'Download' and then click on the Android logo.
- Make sure the 'Recommended' tab is selected, and then click on 'ARMV7A (32BIT).'
- Open the file and then proceed with the installation. This will install a new version of Kodi without messing up with your existing.
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on FireOS
How to Update Kodi on Xbox
By default, your Xbox will keep all your games and apps updated automatically. Still, there might be a glitch in this process, which is when you need to update apps manually. So, here’s how to update Kodi on your Xbox One X/S and Series X/S.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide on your screen.
- Select 'My Games & Apps.' Then, pick 'See All.'
- Now, on the left side of the screen, select 'Manage.'
- On the right, click on the 'Update' button.
- If there’s an update for Kodi available, this is where you’ll get to download and install it.
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on Xbox
How to Update Kodi on iPhone & iPad
Sadly, Kodi is listed on the iOS App Store. Even though this application offers a fully-featured iOS/iPadOS app, Apple doesn’t allow its presence on the App Store. That’s why you need to use a workaround when installing Kodi on iOS.
Clicking on the provided link will take you to our in-depth guide on installing Kodi on iOS. This is where you’ll see two methods, depending on whether you have a Windows PC or Mac (which is needed to install Kodi on your iPhone/iPad).
To update Kodi, you need to reinstall it. However, we do suggest completely removing Kodi from your iOS device first and then installing it from scratch (which will eliminate any custom content you might have added), especially if you want to avoid technical issues.
How to Update Kodi on Chromebooks
In case you’ve bought your Chromebook during the last year or so, you probably have access to the Google Play Store. If that’s the case, all you need to do is update the app through Google’s app store – which means that your Chromebook will do the job on its own.
As noted in our article on how to install Kodi on Chrome OS, if you don't have access to the Play Store, you can use a Linux emulator (applicable to newer Chromebooks). So, go through the steps found there (use the provided link).
How to Update Kodi on Apple TV
In the past, Kodi used to be present on Apple TV devices via 'sideloading.' After a brief pause, Kodi 19 'Matrix' once again offers a fully-featured app designed specifically for tvOS.
With that said, if you already have Kodi installed on your Apple TV, you probably use a very old version, so you'll be making a big jump when updating Kodi to v19.
If you want to update Kodi on Apple’s media streaming device, you need to repeat the procedure of installing Kodi on Apple TV. Use the provided link to read our hands-on guide detailing all of the currently available methods.
How to Update Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV
Nvidia Shield TV is powered by Android TV, meaning that you can find Kodi in the Play Store. In addition, your Shield TV will automatically update Kodi when a new update is published. However, it’s also good to know how to update Kodi on Shield TV manually.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Shield TV.
- Now, select 'My Apps.'
- This is where you’ll see a list of installed apps, as well as any updates available.
- Update individual apps from here, or click on 'Update All' to update all of them at once.
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV
How to Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
Assembling your own Raspberry Pi device can be a highly educational process. If you already know how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi, you know that you can use LibreELEC. To install Kodi 19 Matrix, you need to update your LibreELEC installation, so here’s how that is done.
- Open Settings > LibreELEC/OpenELEC.
- Navigate to 'System,' which is where you’ll see the 'Updates' section.
- Select 'Update Channel' and choose the 'Main Version.'
- Next, select 'Available Versions' and choose the latest available version.
- Confirm your decision, and LibreELEC will update on its own.
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on Raspberry Pi
How to Update Kodi on Smart TVs
Kodi is available on a wide range of smart TV models. However, those who use Android TV are in the best possible position. Here’s how to update Kodi on those smart TV models:
- Open the Play Store on your Android TV.
- On the left side of the screen, select 'My Apps.'
- This is where you’ll see the list of available updates. Select 'Kodi.'
- Finally, select 'Update,' and your Android TV will do the rest.
Full Guide - How to Install (Update) Kodi on Smart TVs
Want to Learn More About Kodi?
So, what’s next after you update Kodi? Well, you can import your media library, install addons, and plenty more. Here are some resources that can help you take full advantage of this highly capable application.
- How to Enable Unknown Sources on Kodi
- Find the Best Kodi Addons
- Find the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
- How to Add Subtitles to Kodi
Dear readers, that would be all on how to update Kodi. If you have anything to say or ask, don’t hesitate to post a comment below. We’ll do our best to provide a timely response. And of course - enjoy using Kodi!