Updating Kodi can be a little confusing, especially since you can’t update it the “usual” way. You’re probably used to updating applications from within their interfaces, typically by going into a menu and choosing ‘Check for Update.’ Well, the situation is a bit different when it comes to updating Kodi – but there’s no reason to worry.
In general, updating Kodi requires you to reinstall the application. This way, you will simply replace or upgrade outdated files, which essentially patches Kodi to the latest available version. This is especially important to remember if you want to keep your media library intact.
By simply reinstalling Kodi, the application won’t make any changes to your library. Once you open the newest installed version for the first time, Kodi will make sure to read your library’s contents and make any updates if necessary.
However, if you’re experiencing problems with Kodi, you might want to delete the old version first (and therefore lose your library), and then install the latest version from scratch. To check solutions to technical issues, see our Kodi troubleshooting guide.
To make this article as helpful as possible, we’ll go over pretty much all of the platforms natively supported by Kodi. Check out the following table of contents, where you can click on the platform’s name that applies to your case. And as you can see, we’ll answer some other important questions as well.
Table of Contents
So, let’s get started. Here’s everything you need to know on how to update Kodi in 2020, covering all of the natively supported platforms.
What’s the Latest Available Version of Kodi?
Before we get started, you’ll want to know about the latest available version of Kodi. Well, in terms of major versions, we’re talking about Kodi 18 “Leia,” which has been released in January 2019. This was a major transition for Kodi, especially in terms of its performance.
We’ve received a number of incremental updates during the last year – with the latest one being Kodi 18.7, released in May 2020. Incremental updates don’t bring new features but are focused on resolving bugs instead. With this said, we strongly recommend updating to Kodi 18.7 – and this is the most stable release yet.
Steps to Update Kodi on Windows
The easiest way to update Kodi on Windows is via a script called ‘Kodi Windows Installer.’ Here’s our step-by-step guide on updating Kodi on Windows (if you’ve installed Kodi by downloading it from its official website).
- On your Windows PC, use any Internet browser to open the overview of the Kodi Windows Installer script (the link we’ve provided will take you to Kodi’s website). Click on the blue-colored ‘Download’ button, and a ZIP file should download to your computer.
- Now, open Kodi and click on ‘Add-ons’ using the main menu. Click on the open box icon in the top-left corner and choose the ‘Install from ZIP file’ option.
- Navigate to the path of your recently downloaded ZIP file. If you can’t find it, move the file to your Desktop, and then use Kodi to navigate to C:Users(username)Desktop. Then, click on the ZIP file.
- After a few moments, the script will be installed. Go ahead and open it by choosing ‘Add-ons’ from the main menu. The addon will show you a list of categories, so make sure to select ‘Released’ to install the latest publicly available version. Kodi will now finalize the procedure on its own, and you’ll need to restart the application. That’s it!
The method above applies to Kodi installations downloaded from its official website. In case you’ve downloaded Kodi using the Windows App Store, you need to use the App Store to update Kodi.
In case you want in-depth information on updating Kodi (suitable for complete beginners), check our guide on installing Kodi on Windows. That’s where you’ll find three methods, with step-by-step instructions and helpful screenshots.
Steps to Update Kodi on macOS
There is only one way to update Kodi on macOS, and that is by reinstalling the application. This will save all your content and simply update the new code over your existing setup.
So, here’s how to update Kodi on macOS.
- Visit Kodi’s official website using any Web browser, and click on the ‘Download’ button using the website’s navigation bar (visible in the top-right corner).
- Now, scroll down and select ‘MacOS.’ Make sure that the ‘Recommended’ tab is selected as well, and click on the button that says ‘Installer (64bit)’, which will download the latest Kodi installation file available in the DMG file format.
- Once the file is downloaded, open it by double-clicking on it.
- Lastly, drag-and-drop Kodi’s application file onto your Application folder. You’ll be asked whether you want to replace the existing file, so confirm your decision.
As you can see, this process is exactly the same as when you installed Kodi on macOS. So, use the provided link to go to our dedicated article, where you’ll find helpful screenshots and additional information.
Steps to Update Kodi on Linux
As Linux users already know, applications are typically installed on this operating system by typing a series of commands. Therefore, it’s not surprising to see this same procedure applying to Kodi.
Here’s how to update Kodi on Linux.
- First, run the Terminal interface (CTRL + ALT + T).
- Input this command first: sudo apt-get update and confirm by pressing Enter.
- Then, use this command: sudo apt-get upgrade.
- And finally, input this command: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
- That’s it! Kodi will now be downloaded and updated to the latest available stable version.
If you have a Linux distribution with Software Updater included, you can use this utility. In case something goes wrong, you can return one step and install Kodi on Linux once again from scratch. This is the safest way to avoid any potential issues.
Steps to Update Kodi on Android
Android users rely on the Google Play Store to download and install apps, where their operating system does all the heavy lifting. With this said, you can use the Play Store to update your apps, including Kodi.
- Launch the Play Store on your Android device.
- Click on the hamburger button in the top-left corner.
- Then, select ‘My Apps & Games.’
- If any updates are available, this is where you’ll see them. Click on ‘Update’ on the right side of the screen to update Kodi.
In case you’ve ‘sideloaded’ Kodi on your Android device, you’ll need to reinstall a new version of Kodi over the existing one. For more in-depth information, read our article on how to install Kodi on Android, where you’ll find everything you need to know.
Steps to Update Kodi on Amazon Fire TV / Fire TV Stick
Sadly, you can’t download Kodi on FireOS using the Amazon App Store. However, there are several methods of getting Kodi to work on your FireOS device, as this is an Android app, after all.
So, here’s our general description of how to update Kodi on FireOS.
- First, you need to download a handy app called ‘Downloader’ found on Amazon’s App Store. Then, open the app and navigate to https://kodi.tv. This will open Kodi’s official website on your FireOS device.
- You need to click on ‘Download’ and then click on the Android logo. Make sure the ‘Recommended’ tab is selected, and then click on ‘ARMV7A (32BIT).’ This will download Kodi’s installation file to your Fire TV Stick.
- Open the file and then proceed with the installation. This will basically install a new version of Kodi, without messing up with your custom content.
Basically, to update Kodi on FireOS, you need to reinstall the application. If you need a reminder of how this is done (along with helpful screenshots), here’s how to install Kodi on FireOS devices.
Steps to Update Kodi on Xbox One (One S & One X)
By default, your Xbox One will keep all your games and apps updated automatically. Still, there might be a glitch in this process, which is when you need to update apps manually.
So, here’s how to update Kodi on Xbox One (S and X).
- Press the Xbox button on your gamepad to open the guide on your screen.
- Select ‘My Games & Apps.’
- Now, on the left side of the screen, select ‘Updates.’
- If there’s an update to Kodi available, this is where you’ll get to download and install it.
We recommend you to fully automate this process by going to Settings > System > Updates. This is where you set your Xbox to automatically apply the latest updates, including system and app/game updates. And also, in case you’d like to go with a fresh install, here’s how to install Kodi on Xbox.
Steps to Update Kodi on iPhone & iPad (iOS & iPadOS)
Sadly, Kodi is missing from the iOS App Store. Even though this application offers a fully-featured iOS app, Apple doesn’t allow its presence on the App Store. That’s why you need to use a workaround when installing Kodi on iOS.
Clicking on the provided link will take you to our in-depth guide on installing Kodi on iOS. This is where you’ll see two methods, depending on which platform you use on your computer (which is needed to install Kodi on your iPhone/iPad).
To update Kodi, you actually need to reinstall it. However, we do suggest completely removing Kodi from your iOS device first, and then installing it from scratch (which will eliminate any custom content you might have added).
Steps to Update Kodi on Chromebooks (Chrome OS)
In case you’ve bought your Chromebook during the last year or so, you probably have access to the Google Play Store. If that’s the case, all you need to do is update the app through Google’s app store – which means that your Chromebook will do the job on its own.
As noted in our article on how to install Kodi on Chrome OS, there are several ways to get Kodi on notebooks without the Play Store. You can use ‘Arc Welder’ for this purpose and then make Kodi run as a Chrome extension.
Even though this method is considered experimental, it’s your best bet of running Kodi right now.
Steps to Update Kodi on Apple TV (tvOS)
Similarly to the situation with iOS, Kodi isn’t available on Apple TV either – at least not via the tvOS App Store. Kodi is a slightly different type of application, and Apple can’t allow it to access all of the system resources, which means that Kodi doesn’t meet the guidelines. However, sideloading Kodi on Apple TV is entirely possible.
If you want to update Kodi on Apple’s media streamer, you need to repeat the procedure of installing Kodi on Apple TV. Use the provided link to read our hands-on guide, detailing different methods.
Steps to Update Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV
Nvidia Shield TV is powered by Android TV, meaning that you can find Kodi in the Play Store. In addition, your Shield TV will automatically update Kodi when a new update is published.
However, it’s also good to know how to update Kodi on Shield TV manually:
- Open the Google Play Store on your Shield TV.
- Now, select ‘My Apps.’
- This is where you’ll see a list of installed apps, as well as any updates available.
- Finally, you can update individual apps from here, or click on ‘Update All’ to update all of them at once.
If you’d rather install Kodi from scratch, we have a helpful article for you. Here’s how to install Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV, the easy way.
Steps to Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
Assembling your own Raspberry Pi computer can be a highly educational process. If you already know how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi, you know that you can use LibreELEC. To install Kodi 18 Leia, you actually need to update your LibreELEC installation, so here’s how that is done.
- Open Settings > LibreELEC/OpenELEC.
- Navigate to ‘System,’ which is where you’ll see the ‘Updates’ section.
- Select ‘Update Channel’ and choose the ‘Main Version.’
- Next, select ‘Available Versions’ and choose the latest available version.
- Confirm your decision, and LibreELEC will update on its own.
In case you encounter any problems, or if you want to start with Kodi from scratch, here’s how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi.
Steps to Update Kodi on Smart TVs
Kodi is available on a wide range of smart TV models. However, those who use Android TV are in the best possible position. Here’s how to update Kodi on those smart TV models:
- Open the Play Store on your Android TV.
- On the left side of the screen, select ‘My Apps.’
- This is where you’ll see the list of available updates. Select ‘Kodi.’
- Finally, select ‘Update,’ and your Android TV will do the rest.
As noted in our article on how to install Kodi on smart TVs, non-Android TV models need to rely on screen mirroring, meaning you need to update Kodi on the device you have it installed. Make sure to use the provided link, where it’s all nicely explained.
Interested in Learning More About Kodi?
So, what’s next after you update Kodi? Well, you can import your media library, install add-ons, and more.
Here are some resources that can help you take full advantage of this highly capable application.
- How to Enable Unknown Sources on Kodi
- Get the Best Kodi Addons
- Get the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
- How to Add Subtitles to Kodi
Dear readers, that would be all on how to update Kodi. If you have anything to say or ask, don’t hesitate to post a comment below. We’ll do our best to provide a timely response.