You’re most probably reading this article because Kodi is showing you the “For security, installation of add-ons from unknown sources is disabled” message. This happens when you try to install an addon that comes as a ZIP file, which means you’ve downloaded it from the Internet. However, there’s no need to worry – as we’ll show you how to enable unknown sources on Kodi and install any addon out there.
Before we dive deeper, here’s some handy background information. Back in 2019, Kodi’s developers started warning against installing third-party repositories, primarily due to malware concerns. However, this application has always been associated with piracy, so you can see how that puts Kodi into a troublesome situation.
As a way to prevent users from relying on third-party extensions, Kodi 19 “Matrix” came with a small yet prominent obstacle. By default, the application would try to prevent you from installing untested addons, which is something that you can easily go around.
As you’re about to see, this process is incredibly simple and takes only a few moments of your time. And we’re going to show you how this is done on Kodi 19 “Matrix”. However, the same process applies to earlier Kodi versions as well.
How to Enable Unknown Sources on Kodi
- Make sure that Kodi is open and that you’re on the application’s home screen.
- Click on the gear icon located in the top-left corner. You can find it below the application’s logo, and it’ll open a grid of options.
- You need to click on the ‘System’ button on the right side of the screen. Please note that this option is called ‘System Settings’ in earlier Kodi versions.
- Using the left-placed sidebar, hover over the ‘Add-ons’ item.
- On the right, click on ‘Unknown Sources.’ You will be presented with a message against enabling this option. You can feel free to continue by clicking on ‘Yes.’
That’s it! You have now enabled Kodi to install third-party addons. There are lots of popular Kodi addons out there, and we recommend you try some of them. As you will see, the process of installing those addons will go without a single error. Enjoy!
Want to Learn More About Using Kodi?
We know there are plenty of passionate Kodi users out there, looking for the best way to enhance Kodi. This is why we also bring you a list of articles that you’ll certainly find to be helpful. Take a look below.
- Get the Best Kodi Addons
- Get the Best Kodi Builds
- Get the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
- How to Add Subtitles to Kodi
We hope you’ve found this short guide to be useful. In addition, we hope that you have learned how to enable unknown sources on Kodi. Remember that this is an important prerequisite for installing any third-party addon made for Kodi.