With so many different VPNs out there, it can be difficult to decide on a single provider. Who’s got the fastest servers, and which provider is the most affordable without sacrificing quality? Which VPN is the best for streaming content? Are there any VPN features that can enhance your online experience? These are great questions to start your search for the best VPNs for Canada – and we’ll be answering them down below.
It’s worth noting that each of the entries on our list features:
- High-end encryption – excellent against the worrying rise in cybercrime brought on by the pandemic, as well as against mass surveillance by the Canadian government (as part of the 5/9/14 Eyes alliance).
- Plenty of VPN protocols fit for every need – security, speed, or switching between networks on the fly on mobile devices, without loss of connectivity.
- Plenty of Canadian VPN servers – you can get a Canadian IP address, both as an expat and as a foreigner looking to unblock local content.
- A reputation for providing a trustworthy service – all your online privacy and security needs are pretty much covered.
All that’s left now is to see what each provider brings new to the table. We strongly recommend checking out our VPN reviews for the full specs on each VPN before you hop onto their subscription. Don’t worry – we’ll link to the review at the end of each short description.
Let’s get right to it.
Here Are 5 Unmatched Canada VPNs With Plenty to Offer
We know that the sheer number of VPNs on the market can be overwhelming. As such, we’ve narrowed it down to the 5 best VPNs for Canada with powerful unblocking capabilities.
1. ExpressVPN – Best All-Purpose VPN for Canada
|Visit Site|| |
What’s your image of the ideal VPN? For most people, it probably includes a polished UI, strong encryption, smooth performance, and the ability to unblock most major content platforms out there. Well, you can expect ExpressVPN to cover all these bases – which is why it takes our top spot for the best VPN for Canada in 2021.
Staying protected online and keeping your information to yourself can be a tough task for any VPN – except for ExpressVPN. It employs the industry-standard AES-256 encryption, ensuring your data never falls into the wrong hands. On top of that, ExpressVPN has a true zero-logs policy, meaning it doesn’t collect anything about your browsing activity.
In addition, you will be able to break through any Web roadblocks and effortlessly access services like American Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more. The service boasts dozens of servers at different locations around Canada, including Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. For expats looking to watch Global TV, CTV, City TV, or the CBC, ExpressVPN easily bypasses any VPN filters, allowing you to enjoy quality Canadian programming outside the country.
For a deep dive into ExpressVPN features, speed tests, and more, make sure to read our hands-on ExpressVPN review.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; Lightway, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2/IPSec, PPTP.
- Servers Located in Canada: 4 locations; Dozens of servers.
- Money-Back Guarantee: 30 days.
2. NordVPN – Fast and Secure VPN for Canada
The main reason NordVPN only manages to nab the second spot on our list is that it is less feature-rich than its competitor. For one, it lacks split-tunneling in the main app, only being available in the provider’s browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. This also means you’ll need to turn off the desktop app, leaving your network traffic outside the browser unprotected.
Still, that doesn’t prevent NordVPN from providing the quality service expected of an industry leader. Their app is easy to set up and use, and their network features over 5,400+ servers worldwide, including P2P-friendly servers for torrenting. They’ve recently implemented their own version of the latest WireGuard protocol too (NordLynx), which offers enhanced security and lightning-fast speeds.
Most importantly, it can easily unblock foreign streaming platforms, as well as Canadian content for those outside the country. Finally, their subscriptions are fairly well-priced – especially if you’re looking for a more long-term VPN solution.
Don’t forget to check out our full NordVPN review for all the latest info about the provider, as well as performance tests for all you speed demons out there.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, Wireguard (NordLynx), IKEv2/IPSec.
- Servers Located in Canada: 3 locations; 480+ servers.
- Money-Back Guarantee: 30 days.
3. Surfshark – Best Affordable VPN for Canada
Surfshark might not be a household name just yet, but they’re certainly putting in the effort. The service barely launched in 2018, and they’re already closing in on the top spots with their host of unique features and high value for the low price point.
One thing to note about Surfshark is that it allows an unlimited number of connections on a single account. Highly cost-efficient for large families or people with a lot of gadgets lying around the house.
It comes with a nicely designed UI, suitable both for beginners and advanced users. It also unblocks pretty much all of the currently popular media streaming services. Their CleanWeb feature blocks digital trackers, gets rid of ads, keeps your passwords safe from phishing domains, and plenty more. All in all, this is definitely one of the best Canada VPN in 2021.
As always, our Surfshark review contains everything else you need to know about the provider. Check that out if you’re in the market for a cheap Canada VPN that doesn’t compromise on quality.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, IKEv2.
- Servers Located in Canada: 3 locations; 90 servers.
- Money-Back Guarantee: 30 days.
4. CyberGhost VPN – Fast Canada VPN, Great for Streaming
CyberGhost VPN has managed to attract a huge user base and build a strong reputation thanks to its upbeat marketing style. But do they put as much effort into their product as they do with their advertising?
As it turns out, yes. CyberGhost VPN’s network spans 6860 servers across 90 different countries, so we’re spoiled for choice when it comes to accessing content from all around the world. And yes, this flexible Canada VPN can unblock all your favorite content platforms with ease.
What makes our preferred option for streaming? Well, their website offers a server recommendation feature that automatically scans for the best location for different activities. Looking to watch US Netflix in Canada? Their website can suggest the fastest server optimized for Netflix. This also works for Hulu, Crunchyroll, BBC iPlayer, and even YouTube TV.
While you don’t benefit from unlimited connections on a single account, CyberGhost VPN still lets you use seven devices at the same time, which should be more than enough for the average household. Read our CyberGhost VPN review for the full scoop, and enjoy hopping between devices on your weekend streaming binges!
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, IKEv2, Wireguard, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP.
- Servers Located in Canada: 3 locations; 340+ servers.
- Money-Back Guarantee: 14 days (for 1 month plans); 45 days (6+ month plans).
5. IPVanish – Decent Canada VPN, Extremely Cheap First Month
IPVanish is one of the best VPNs for Canada that’s been bogged down by an unfortunate past. Before it was acquired by J2 Global in 2017, they were found logging user data despite their no-logging policy claims. To be fair, it was put to good use (catching a child abuse suspect), but it still left a poor impression for future users looking for a good no-logs VPN. Fortunately, the new owners have cleaned up their act, and the provider hasn’t shown any signs of logging user activity.
IPVanish is another VPN provider that allows unlimited connections on a single account, making it a good alternative if Surfshark didn’t catch your eye for whatever reason. Otherwise, you’re looking at a fairly standard VPN provider that can unblock most of the same platforms mentioned before, and with decent speeds to boot. It could use a bit of work in the UI department, though.
What really sets it apart is the extremely low price point for the first billing cycles (i.e., the first month or first year). Where VPNs usually cost between $10-$13 if you’re only in it for the one month plan, IPVanish goes down all the way to $3.49 and $27.99 for a full year. Pretty cheap if you’re looking for a temporary VPN to use in Canada.
Be sure to check out the full IPVanish review for the provider’s latest specs and updates.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP.
- Servers Located in Canada: 3 locations; 34 servers.
- Money-Back Guarantee: 30 days.
How to Use a VPN in Canada
New to the whole VPN business? Here’s a short tutorial on how to use a VPN:
- Sign up for one of our recommended VPNs for Canada (ExpressVPN is a great option for beginners).
- Download and install the VPN on all compatible devices for maximum protection against all forms of surveillance and to access geo-restricted content wherever you are.
- Log in using your account details after the VPN app finishes installing.
- Click or tap on a VPN server from your provider’s list. If you’re not looking to unblock content from any particular area, ExpressVPN recommends a server optimized for your location.
- You’re now connected, and your data is secure!
Should You Use a Free VPN in Canada? (Not Worth It, Here’s Why)
“The Best Things in Life Are Free” by the Ink Spots may be a great song, but there weren’t any VPNs back then (or Internet, for that matter). In any case, here’s why using a free VPN in Canada may not be as “free” as it seems:
- Rampant data logging – just recently, seven free VPNs leaked the data of 20 million users; all of them had a “no-logs” policy in place. When they’re not busy lying about their logging practices, free VPNs also sell your data to third parties.
- Malware infections and malicious code – even the top free VPNs on the App Store have gone against Apple’s supposedly strict guidelines. Don’t even get us started on Android VPNs, which researchers have found to contain malicious code nearly 40% of the time.
- Poor performance, speed, and severely limited data caps and unblocking capabilities – free VPNs are usually the first to be blocked by streaming platforms. With not much in the way of funding, they can’t replace servers and IP addresses fast enough to get around the issue.
You’re better off trying one of the five best VPNs for Canada we’ve mentioned above. With their robust money-back guarantees in place, you’ve got nothing to lose but the few minutes it takes to sign up and install the VPN app.
There can be a lot of confusion surrounding VPNs, so here are the answers to some of the more frequent questions about VPNs in Canada.
Why Should You Use a VPN in Canada?
Aside from being a member of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance, there are some privacy-invasive Canadian laws you need to know about. Bill C-11 (also known as the Copyright Monetization Act) was put in action to fight digital piracy. Thanks to this law, your ISP needs to keep records of your browsing activity for up to six months. There is also the Anti-Terrorism Act, which was meant to fight terrorism, but in practice is just a huge privacy risk for citizens.
Continuously Orwellian legislation makes it more and more difficult to trust your ISP with maintaining your privacy. Using a VPN in Canada simply puts you in charge of your personal data by encrypting all network traffic on your device(s).
Are VPNs Legal in Canada?
Yes, VPN services are 100% legal in Canada. There are no legal consequences for using a VPN – such as what you’d see in restrictive countries like China or Oman. Considering the amount of data that Canadian ISPs collect about their customers, using a VPN is highly recommended.
What’s the Best VPN for Torrenting in Canada?
Torrenting is in a legally grey area. Even though it’s one of the most popular ways of sharing files on the Web, it’s usually associated with copyright infringement. That being said, torrenting with a VPN requires bulletproof encryption, so we recommend providers such as ExpressVPN, CyberGhost VPN, or Surfshark. Check this guide for more details.
What’s the Best Mobile VPN in Canada?
All providers described in this article allow multiple connections per account. If you have a lot of mobile devices that need securing, Surfshark and IPVanish are great mobile VPN providers with unlimited device allowances.
For more recommendations, check out our list of the best VPNs for multiple devices.
How Can I Watch Content Exclusive to Canada?
By using a VPN with servers in Canada, you can unblock websites available exclusively to Canadian residents. How? Well, as soon as you connect to a Canadian VPN server, you’re assigned a local IP address. Your Internet-facing location will become Canada while never leaving the comfort of your home.
What’s the Best Free VPN for Canada?
Creating, expanding, and maintaining a server network costs a lot of money, and VPN providers use subscriptions as a way to cover these costs. But how do free VPNs make money? Well, they can inject intrusive ads into your browser, or worse – they can sell your data to advertisers.
On top of that, you can’t expect the same level of performance, speed, and customer support as with paid options. We’ve included some pretty affordable options above, so check them out. Keep in mind that each provider has 30 to 45-day money-back guarantees, so there’s no risk in trying them out.
And that’s about it for the best VPNs for Canada. These providers are the best of their kind when it comes to:
- Bypassing geo-restrictions
- Safe torrenting
- Keeping your data secure from hackers and mass surveillance
- Obtaining a Canadian IP address to unblock local content.
Stay safe and enjoy unlimited access to all new content!