Amazon's Fire TV Stick, powered by FireOS, offers thousands of apps and access to many streaming platforms. However, if you want to access FireOS apps with geo-restrictions in place, such as BBC iPlayer, ITVX, or Hulu, you need to use a VPN for Fire TV Stick.
A VPN will help you bypass the geo-restrictions that many streaming services employ by changing your IP address and, thus, altering your virtual location. So, if you want to unblock a British streaming app on your Fire TV Stick, connect to a UK server - and that's it!
However, if you want your VPN to work directly on your Fire TV Stick or Fire TV Cube, ensure it’s compatible with FireOS. If the VPN you choose isn't compatible with FireOS, you'll have to configure it on your Fire TV Stick manually, which can be quite a hassle.
This article will review the 6 best VPNs for Fire TV Stick in 2023. We’ll discuss why you need a VPN, how to find and pick the best VPN for the job, and more. You'll also learn how to set up a VPN on your Amazon streaming device. Let's begin!
Top Best Fire TV Stick VPNs - Our Shortlist
- ExpressVPN – Our #1-Rated VPN for Fire TV Stick
- NordVPN – Best VPN for Fire TV Stick with High-End Privacy
- CyberGhost VPN – VPN with the Most Global Servers
- Surfshark VPN – Best All-Purpose VPN for Fire TV
- PIA – Best VPN for More Advanced Users
- Ivacy VPN – Best Fire TV Stick VPN for Beginners
How to Get a VPN on Fire TV Stick
To get a VPN on Fire TV Stick, subscribe to a suitable VPN that offers a native FireOS app. Here's what you need to do:
- Sign up for a Fire TV VPN using a Web browser (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Turn on your Fire TV Stick and search for the provider's app.
- Select the VPN app from the search results and download it.
- Open the app and sign in to your VPN account.
- Complete the setup process and select a VPN server in a location that suits you.
- Now, you can use your Fire TV Stick with no restrictions. That’s it!
If your chosen VPN doesn't have a native app for FireOS, you'll have to configure it manually. For instructions, check out our article on how to set up a VPN on a Fire TV Stick.
The Best VPNs for Fire TV Stick in 2023
To help you find the best VPN for Fire TV Stick, we'll follow the criteria we set up for our central guide to the best VPN for multiple devices. That said, the most important thing is to pick a VPN that supports FireOS natively, as well as other platforms, and that it supports multiple simultaneous connections.
Then, your Fire TV Stick VPN must have a wide server network in as many countries as possible. But also, don't forget to pay attention to privacy and security. A no-logs policy, multiple VPN protocols, and encryption are all important. Other than that, get a VPN with a kill switch, split tunneling, and any extra features you can find, such as ad-blocking.
It's also important to find a VPN with strong unblocking capabilities, as you'll want to gain access to as many FireOS streaming apps as possible. And since you'll use your chosen VPN on a Fire TV Stick, ensure that it offers fast connection speeds, helping you avoid streaming-related buffering. Lastly, the best Fire TV Stick VPN must have a generous no-logs policy and 24/7 live chat support.
Based on the criteria mentioned above, here are the 6 best VPNs for Fire TV Stick in 2023.
At the moment, the best VPN for FireTV Stick is - ExpressVPN as it brings a native and highly polished app for FireOS. It also has apps for practically any other device/platform imaginable while giving you 5 simultaneous connections.
This Fire TV Stick VPN offers more than 3,000 servers in 90+ countries. Those are optimized for streaming, giving you an endless list of country-based streaming libraries. Aside from that, you get a verified no-logs policy, a whole slate of VPN protocols (led by OpenVPN and Lightway), and AES-256 encryption.
Next, you should know that ExpressVPN provides top-tier security features. Many independent tests have shown that this VPN’s encryption is among the most secure. You can also expect advanced features like DNS leak protection, a kill switch, split tunneling, and more.
Regarding media streaming, ExpressVPN helps you unblock just about any streaming app out there. As per our tests, it works with Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max, as well as with services like Discovery Plus, Paramount Plus, BBC iPlayer, and countless more.
On top of that, ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN available today - as per our hands-on tests. No matter if you use nearby or remote servers, this VPN for Fire TV Stick won't slow you down.
Lastly, ExpressVPN comes with a no-questions-asked 30-day money-back policy. Also, it offers 24/7 live chat support, making sure your questions are answered in record time.
- Unblocks any streaming app.
- Sizable server network.
- Really easy to use.
- 24/7-available customer support.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- No in-depth fine-tuning.
|Get NordVPN Now|| |
NordVPN has a very modern-looking native app for your Fire TV Stick. You can download it from Amazon's App Store in less than a minute. Once you do so, pick a server, and NordVPN will help you access previously blocked services. That includes streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, Disney Plus, and plenty more.
This VPN has 5,500+ servers in around 60 countries. So, not the biggest server network - but keep in mind that NordVPN servers are strategically placed across the world. You can also count on this VPN's kill switch, split tunneling, and ad-blocking. On desktop platforms, NordVPN can even scan smaller files for malware. You also get 6 simultaneous connections.
We ought to mention some of the extra features this Amazon Fire TV Stick VPN brings. This is a double VPN because it routes your traffic through two secure servers, not just one (which is an optional feature, by the way). The same applies to other types of specialized servers, such as Onion over VPN and obfuscated servers.
Also, we'll add that NordVPN is a no-logs VPN provider with many audits to prove its claims. It uses protocols like OpenVPN and WireGuard, which makes this VPN suitable for streaming. Among other features, there's 256-AES encryption. And let's not forget that NordVPN's nearby servers are typically very fast, but expect some slowdowns when using remote VPN servers.
You can try this VPN on your Fire TV Stick for up to 30 days, as dictated by its money-back policy. And, just like any other reputable VPN for Fire TV, it comes with 24/7 live chat support.
- Highly polished interface.
- Ultra-strong VPN protocols.
- Highly suitable for media streaming.
- 24/7-available customer support.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Fine-tuning is recommended.
- Heavy reliance on VPN terminology.
CyberGhost VPN's development team has done an excellent job supporting various platforms, and Amazon's Fire OS is on that list. That means CyberGhost comes as an app for a range of Fire TV devices, aligned with other supported platforms in terms of the app's design and functionality.
Being a native app, CyberGhost VPN is present on Amazon's App Store. You can download the VPN, sign in, and you'll be ready to go. Then, you'll see an amazingly designed interface with segments containing specialized servers. Many of those servers are designed for media streaming and unblocking popular services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
Another strong side of CyberGhost is its network. It has 9,000+ servers in 90+ countries. That gives you an endless range of streaming apps you can unblock with this Fire TV Stick VPN. Of course, a recently audited no-logs policy is there, paired with VPN protocols like OpenVPN and WireGuard, and AES-256 encryption.
We should also note that CyberGhost has a fully automated kill switch. Split tunneling is also there, a handy ad-blocker, and up to 7 simultaneous connections. The only downside here is that CyberGhost is slower than its competition, so it would help to have a fast Web connection.
Let's not forget to mention this is the best Fire TV Stick VPN if you need an extended money-back policy. CyberGhost is backed by a 45-day money-back policy, which applies to its long-term plans. There's also 24/7 live chat support.
- Native VPN software for Fire OS.
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections.
- Specialized servers for media streaming.
- 24/7-available customer support.
- 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Remote connections can be slow.
- No fune-tuning available on Fire OS.
Surfshark is designed for average home users. It has a series of highly-polished applications available on various devices. Regarding Fire OS, you can Surfshark is available on Amazon's App Store. You'll end up with a very polished app, suitable even for complete beginners.
Another strong suit of this VPN is its server network, featuring 3,200+ servers in 100 countries. Then, know that this VPN comes with a capable range of protocols coupled with AES-256 encryption. And, without any surprise, this Fire TV Stick VPN also has a no-logs policy.
More advanced features are also there, including a kill switch, split tunneling, and a powerful ad-blocker called CleanWeb. And despite all those high-end features, Surfshark remains one of the fastest VPNs available.
Regarding media streaming, Surfshark unblocks even the toughest sites and apps out there. The list of supported media streaming apps is practically endless, as this VPN has the means to unblock any app out there. To give you a few examples, this Fire TV VPN unblocks 12+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, Discovery+, Hulu, Sling TV, FuboTV, and more.
We also need to mention that Surfshark supports unlimited simultaneous connections. Aside from that, you get a 30-day money-back policy, as well as 24/7 live chat support.
- Suitable for beginners.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Works great for media streaming.
- 24/7-available customer support.
- 30-day money-back guarantees.
- Can take a while to connect.
PIA (Private Internet Access) is compatible with a range of platforms and devices, and yes, it supports FireOS and Fire TV Stick. On top of that, this VPN now supports unlimited simultaneous connections.
It also has the largest server network, with dozens of thousands of servers across 83 countries. It is an excellent choice for those who want to unblock US-based streaming platforms, as it has servers in all 50 US states.
PIA enables you to customize its VPN settings. Namely, you can increase or decrease your level of encryption (AES-128 or AES-256) and fine-tune your protocols, of which PIA supports OpenVPN, WireGuard, and more.
You can choose from two types of kill switches, enable ad-blocking, and automate your VPN. Split tunneling is also there, with plenty of customization possible. And it does all that while being able to unblock a huge range of FireOS apps, including Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, iPlayer, and more.
We'll also mention that PIA isn't the best VPN for Fire TV Stick in terms of performance. Still, it provides fast connection speeds suitable for gaming and streaming movies, TV shows, and more - if you take your time to optimize its settings.
You can try out PIA and get a full refund within 30 days of your subscription. It also offers 24/7 customer support via live chat, so you can contact its experts whenever you want.
- Compatible with FireOS.
- Plenty of customization.
- 10 simultaneous connections.
- Wide server network.
- Suitable for media streaming.
- Slower long-range speeds.
- Based in the US.
Ivacy comes with a whole range of VPN applications - with Fire OS being on this list as well. All you have to do (once you subscribe) is download Ivacy's app via Amazon's App Store. Log in, connect to a server, and that's it.
Your Web data will be protected once you start using this VPN for Fire TV Stick, and you'll get to use streaming apps you couldn't access before. In addition, Ivacy doesn't collect any logs, and you can use the VPN on up to 10 devices simultaneously.
It even offers servers specialized for streaming, with a massive list of niche options at your disposal. To give you a taste of what to expect, we'll mention Netflix, Hulu, ABC, beIN Sports, Prime Video, The CW, and TBS. And speaking of Ivacy's server network, this VPN currently has 6,500+ servers in 60+ countries.
When it comes to this VPN's downsides, don't expect ultra-fast performance. Still, that's not a significant downside for Fire TV Stick users, as you still get enough protocols (starting with OpenVPN) to optimize your connection's speed.
In terms of the more advanced features, Ivacy has a kill switch, split tunneling, and it allows you to scan small files for malware. Of course, this is a no-logs VPN that promises not to collect any of your data. And it even features 256-AES encryption.
As you can expect from one of the best Amazon Fire TV Stick VPNs, there's a 30-day money-back policy, as well as comprehensive customer support with 24/7 live chat.
- Fully-automated VPN.
- Native support for Fire OS.
- Servers optimized for streaming.
- Over 3,500+ VPN servers.
- 24/7-available customer support.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Highly remote connections are slow.
- Requires some fine-tuning.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Fire TV Stick?
You need a VPN for Fire TV Stick to unlock streaming apps otherwise unavailable in your country. Other reasons why you need a Fire TV Stick VPN include:
- Access New Streaming Apps – Fire TV Stick allows you to use streaming platforms and channels, but some apps have geo-restrictions in place and are only available in certain countries. A VPN helps you bypass that by allowing you to change your virtual location.
- Security and Privacy – Fire TV Stick lets you run Android apps, but it could get infected by malware and viruses by doing so. A VPN can protect you from this by providing you with anti-malware software. A VPN can shield your personal information and keep your actual location hidden with high-end encryption and leak protection.
- Avoid ISP Throttling – ISPs (Internet Service Providers) slow down your Internet when you use large amounts of data. Since streaming requires quite a lot of data, your ISP won't hesitate to throttle it. However, a Fire TV Stick VPN will hide your online activity from your ISP and eliminate this issue.
In addition to the ones mentioned above, there are a few other reasons you need a Fire TV Stick VPN. If you wish to learn more about why you need a VPN for Fire TV Stick, use the provided link to get to our dedicated guide.
What to Look For in a Fire Stick VPN?
There are many VPNs out there - but not all of them are suitable for your Fire TV Stick. With that said, here's what the best VPN for Fire TV Stick must bring:
- Native Fire TV Stick App: We recommend choosing a VPN available on Amazon's App Store, especially if you're a first-time VPN user. Having a native app lets you avoid setting up your VPN manually. In other words, you'll get to install and start using your VPN in a matter of minutes while making sure it's kept up-to-date at all times.
- Proven Media Streaming Capabilities: Only a handful of VPNs are suitable for streaming, which is something to consider if you're a Fire TV Stick user. That means you must find a VPN that can unblock any streaming services you plan to use. For additional information, you can check our guide to the best VPN for media streaming.
- Server Selection & Locations: Know that VPNs usually cover the most popular locations, such as the USA, the UK, Japan, Australia, and more. However, make sure to get a VPN with plenty of servers worldwide. This is how you'll get to unblock new types of platforms.
- At Least a Couple of VPN Protocols: It pays off to know a few things about VPN protocols. And more importantly, it pays off to use a VPN with a least two protocols. That's how you can optimize your VPN connection in an effort to reach faster speeds, which is crucial when streaming media (especially in HD and 4K).
- Speed & Performance: Many VPNs say they bring ultra-fast speeds. However, don't trust those marketing messages. Instead, rely on hands-on reviews. You need the fastest VPN if you plan on streaming media, especially if you don't have a speedy Web connection.
- Money-Back Policy: You shouldn't be worried about spending your money on a VPN, as many offer money-back policies. As this guide will show you, a number of VPNs give you 30 days to change your mind.
Is It Legal to Use a VPN on Fire TV Stick?
Yes, it's legal to use a Fire TV Stick VPN. Amazon has no problem with you using a VPN, which is why it offers a range of VPN apps via its App Store.
We should also mention that VPNs are legal in most countries. More precisely, there's a small group of countries where VPNs are illegal or heavily restricted. That means you need to be aware of your country's laws. And also, know that using a VPN doesn't give you the right to do anything illegal in the online realm, such as copyright infringement, for example.
Is It Safe to Use a VPN on Fire TV Stick?
Yes, it's safe to use a VPN on your Fire TV Stick. However, make sure to use a VPN that respects your privacy and doesn't log your sensitive data.
Once you start using a VPN, your incoming and outgoing Web data will start flowing through your chosen VPN's server. That's what makes it essential to pick the best no-logs VPN, which means that your chosen VPN won't collect anything that could point to your online activities.
What's the Fastest VPN for Fire TV Stick?
At the moment, the fastest Fire TV Stick VPN is ExpressVPN. It's suitable for streaming, especially if you switch to Lightway or IKEv2 protocols.
Aside from ExpressVPN (which comes as our #1 recommendation), we recommend NordVPN, as well as Surfshark. They all come with multiple protocols and thousands of servers, which is what you need if you're after the fastest speeds possible.
Know that there's plenty you can do to speed up a slow VPN. Use the provided link, and you'll find more than a dozen actionable tips that you can try today.
What's the Cheapest VPN for Fire TV Stick?
The cheapest Fire TV Stick VPN right now is Surfshark. Even though this VPN's price varies, you can pay as little as $2.30/month for its 2-year plan.
However, if you want a long-term subscription, know that Ivacy offers a 5-year deal. You'll need to pay $60.00 in total, which comes down to only $1.00 per month.
As you can see, there's a small difference between Surfshark and Ivacy in terms of their prices. Still, we recommend Ivacy to home users who already have a fast Web connection (as it's not the fastest VPN out there). Surfshark is a somewhat better option right now, especially if you need a VPN for multiple devices.
Can You Use a Free VPN for Fire TV Stick?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for Fire TV Stick - but going for a free VPN is never a good idea. That's because free VPNs are unreliable and usually offer poor security and privacy features, making you vulnerable to information theft, malware, and viruses.
More importantly, free VPNs come with limited performance and limited bandwidth - and you need both of those things to get a pleasurable streaming experience. You'll also encounter a limited server network, which beats the purpose of using a VPN to unblock FireOS apps.
The only way to get a buttery-smooth experience is to use a premium VPN. However, even in that case, you must be careful about which option you'll pick. So, go with any of the VPNs found above, or consult our central guide to the best VPN providers.
A VPN for Fire TV Stick allows you to access virtually any streaming app available because it masks your IP address to bypass geo-restrictions that many popular streamers have in place. A VPN will also provide privacy for your online activities and prevent third parties from stealing your information.
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN for Fire TV Stick because it has strong content-unblocking capabilities and a vast network of servers. It also offers a native FireOS app, and its impressive privacy and security features provide peace of mind no matter what you’re doing online. With ExpressVPN, you’ll be able to watch any streaming content you’d like on your Fire TV Stick without worrying about geo-restrictions or disruptions.
Can I Use a VPN with Amazon Fire TV Stick?
Yes, you can use a VPN with Amazon Fire TV Stick. Actually, it's highly recommended that you do, as a VPN will allow you to access content unavailable in your country.
What Is the Best VPN for Fire Stick?
The best VPN for Fire Stick is ExpressVPN. It has a native FireOS app, lightning-fast speed, and excellent media streaming capabilities, making it perfect for Fire TV Stick.
Does ExpressVPN Work with Fire TV Stick?
Yes, ExpressVPN works with Fire TV Stick. It has a native FireOS app, which you can download directly on your device. Learn how to install and use ExpressVPN on Amazon Fire Stick, so you can start enjoying your favorite content today!
Does NordVPN Work with Fire TV Stick?
Yes, NordVPN works with Fire TV Stick. For help setting it up, check out how to download, install, and use NordVPN on Fire Stick.
That's all for our guide to the best VPN for Fire TV Stick. If you have any questions, let us know via the comments section below. Thanks for reading!