Amazon has done a wonderful job of offering incredibly capable media streaming devices. When it comes to the current lineup, Fire Stick and Fire TV are the most popular ones. They are affordable, let you run a wide range of apps, use media streaming apps, and plenty more. However, these devices run on Amazon’s FireOS, which poses a serious security problem. This is why we’re going to talk about choosing the best VPN for Firestick devices.
In case you didn’t know, FireOS is based on Android TV. This means that (increasingly problematic) Android malware can find its way to your streaming device. There are even some cryptocurrency miners for FireOS that can easily take over your device’s resources and make streaming a highly frustrating experience.
There’s also the question about unleashing the full potential of your Amazon streamer. The best Fire Stick and Fire TV VPN allows you to unlock new types of content. Just imagine using your favorite streaming apps, but accessing versions made for different countries. And the best VPN out there can easily un-throttle your Web connection, which has become a problem recently, especially in the USA.
With all of this, we’re going to tell you that VPNs are the best solution for protecting your online browsing, accessing new types of content, and making sure your Fire TV or Fire Stick is safe and sound. The only thing you need to know is which VPN you should use.
Finally, here are (hands-on tested and verified) 6 best VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick and Fire TV in March 2019!
ExpressVPN is known for prioritizing fast connection speeds across its network. When using VPNs, you can expect your Internet connection speed to be somewhat throttled. However, this shouldn’t be noticeable and you should be able to stream HD content without any issues. This is where ExpressVPN comes into play. It has 2,000+ servers in 90+ different countries. You can easily switch between them in a matter of seconds, without affecting your connection’s speed.
Next, you should know that ExpressVPN provides top-tier security features. Numerous independent tests have shown that this VPN’s encryption is among the most secure ones. There are also some advanced features you can expect, like DNS leak protection, kill-switch, and more. We also shouldn’t forget to mention zero-user records, which means that ExpresVPN doesn’t collect logs of your Internet activity. No matter what you watch or download to your Firestick, it will remain private.
If you’d like to learn more about this capable VPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
We have placed IPVanish on this list due to many reasons. First of all, this is a well-known name in the world of VPN software. IPVanish is known for its reliable performance and wide compatibility with different platforms.
When it comes to Firestick, you can count on the native FireOS app. It can be found on the Amazon App Store, which makes the installation incredibly simple. After signing up for a new account, you are minutes away from the unrestricted Internet access. It is also worth noting that this VPN extends to just about any FireOS app that you have installed. This means that you can browse the Web, use apps like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video – and access their U.S. libraries.
Finally, IPVanish allows you to connect up to 5 devices at the same time. Differently said, you can secure 5 devices using one account. Here’s our in-depth guide to IPVanish if you’re looking for more information.
Important Note: To use IPVanish, you need to have the second-generation Firestick (with Alexa Voice remote).
3. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost’s development team has done a wonderful job of supporting various platforms, and Amazon’s FireOS is on the list. You can use it across tablets, phones, and you guessed it – Fire Stick and Fire TV.
Being a native app, CyberGhost is present on the Amazon’s App Store. You can simply download the VPN, sign-in, and you’re ready to go. You’ll see an amazingly designed interface with segments containing specialized servers. Many of those are designed for media streaming and unblocking popular services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. And according to our tests, you can expect more than satisfactory performance.
It should be also noted that CyberGhost comes with the strongest level of encryption. There’s plenty of VPN protocols to choose as well, so you can balance between security and performance. And lastly, this VPN is known for providing highly helpful and friendly customer support, which should be important if you’re a first-time VPN user.
There really are many reasons why this is one of the best VPN for Firestick. And to learn more, read our hands-on CyberGhost VPN review.
As you’ll often hear, NordVPN provides a fine balance between complexity and simplicity. On one hand, this is a highly powerful VPN that brings lots of extra features. On the other hand, you don’t need to be an expert to use it. There is a very simple application at your disposal that can be used without any fine-tuning.
It’s important to note that you won’t find NordVPN on Amazon’s App Store. Instead, you will need to sideload it. This process is very simple and you can find detailed information on this VPN’s website. Once you’re up and running, you can configure NordVPN to start each time you power on your Firestick. How neat is that, right?
We ought to mention some of the extra features this VPN brings. First of all, this is a double VPN because it routes your Internet traffic through two servers, not just one. Then, there’s a highly praised anti-DDoS protection against malicious attacks. Finally, NordVPN is optimized for P2P applications which are handy if you download torrents to your Firestick.
You can get more information by reading TechNadu’s NordVPN review.
Even though this is a relatively new VPN service, we believe that it’s already ahead of its competition. This especially goes for its capabilities of content unblocking.
It’s clear that PrivateVPN has closely inspected its competition, and therefore came up with an intriguing set of features. First of all, it’s present natively on Amazon FireOS. Many of its servers are built specifically for content unblocking including Netflix US, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more. And it’s also important to note that PrivateVPN is really easy to use.
We also have the problem with the first-generation Fire Stick, which doesn’t support VPN connections. PrivateVPN solves this by offering the ability to be installed on a router. By connecting your Fire Stick to your home Wi-Fi network (via a router with PrivateVPN installed), you get all the benefits of using this VPN service.
We could talk quite a lot about this VPN service, and why you should strongly consider using it. So, we’ll leave you to read our PrivateVPN review for yourself.
We’ll end our suggestions for the best VPN for Amazon Fire stick in 2019 with VyprVPN. This provider has been founded by two fighters for the freedom of the Web from the USA, and it’s based in Switzerland. That’s because this country has a neutral diplomatic relationship, and brings data privacy laws that don’t require VPNs to collect personal data.
VyprVPN is perhaps best-known for its proprietary technology, called Chameleon. This technology is capable of unlocking even the toughest websites, including media streaming apps. It also encrypts your Web connection without any chance of someone getting to your Web browsing data.
This VPN also scores high when it comes to speed and performance. Since it owns its entire network of servers, it can guarantee fast performance no matter where in the world you are. For media streaming fans, this is amazing news.
We’ve spent quite some time testing this VPN service, and checking its benefits and downsides. So, here’s our full VyprVPN review.
Answered: Your Most Burning Questions About Amazon’s Fire TV Stick and Fire TV VPN in 2019
We understand that you might have some questions on your mind, and we’ll do our best to answer them. So, we took a look at the most frequently asked questions by our readers and answered them in the following segment.
Want to Learn More About VPNs?
It is never a bad idea to educate yourself. This is why we’ll provide additional resources that might help you reach the final decision.
- We have published a Buyer’s Guide on VPNs. This is where we discuss what you need to know to reach a wise decision before making a purchase;
- Next, we’d like to let you know how to take full advantage of the chosen VPN. Read about how to unblock slow VPNs and maximize your Internet connection speed;
- Finally, we’d like you to learn more about VPN encryption. It is said that VPNs are the best way to keep yourself protected, so find out why is that?
Why Do You Need a VPN For Firestick?
You need a VPN for Fire TV and Fire Stick if you want to secure your Web connection. A reliable VPN can encrypt all your outgoing and incoming data, making you invisible online. And these applications can also unblock previously blocked websites, apps, and services.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) software has become a necessity. This goes for almost any device capable of connecting to the Web, including Amazon’s Firestick. The truth is that almost any Firestick users would benefit from using this kind of software. Let’s take a look at some of the most important advantages.
- You can fully enjoy media streaming services by breaking geo-barriers. You have probably heard the Netflix and Amazon feature incredibly large media libraries. However, there can be only accessed from within the U.S. A VPN changes your IP address, and connects to a server located in this country. Thus, you are free to explore thousands of movies and TV shows;
- Next, you can make your Internet connection secure. VPNs work by encrypting your connection, making it more secure. This is how your personal and sensitive data is kept away from prying eyes;
- Finally, VPNs hide your Internet browsing activity. You have probably heard that ISPs (Internet Service Providers) can collect your Internet activity logs. Thus, they can serve copyright infringement notices if you download torrents. VPNs are incredibly effective barriers, completely masking what you watch and download.
What is The Best VPN for Amazon Fire Stick in 2019?
If you need our quick recommendation, we’ll tell you that the best VPN for Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV is ExpressVPN. This VPN has scored the highest in our tests and brings pretty much everything you would expect from a highly capable VPN service.
ExpressVPN is present natively on Amazon FireOS. It comes with a simple installation method and brings a highly polished interface. In terms of security, ExpressVPN tightly protects all your data, doesn’t leak personal files in any way, and it also doesn’t store any of your personal data on its server. And in terms of unblocking, ExpressVPN can unblock pretty much any service or app on your FireOS device.
Can You Put a VPN on Amazon Fire TV & Fire Stick?
Yes, you can install a large portion of VPNs on your Fire TV and Fire Stick. The only prerequisite is that the VPN comes with an official Android app, which means that it’s also compatible with Amazon’s FireOS.
You should know that there are two ways of installing VPNs on Amazon FireOS devices. So, let’s take a moment to briefly explain the core of these procedures:
- You can install VPNs via Amazon App Store. This is the simplest method available, which requires you to open the App Store on your device and download the app. Once downloaded, launch the VPN, sign-in, and that’s about it.
- VPNs can be installed by sideloading as well. If the VPN doesn’t have an official FireOS app, it might have an app for Android devices. You can download and transfer that APK file to your Fire Stick, and install it manually (by opening it on the Fire Stick).
How to Install a VPN on Amazon Firestick?
There are several ways to install a VPN on your Firestick. The easiest one is by installing it directly from Amazon’s App Store – just like you would do on your mobile device. However, not every VPN has an official app for this platform, which is where the problems arise.
A possible solution to installing ‘unofficial’ Firestick VPNs is by sideloading them. This means having access to their Android app files and sending that file to your media streaming device. And finally, a good solution is to use a VPN-compatible router.
To learn more about using this kind of application on your media streamer, here’s how to install VPNs on Firestick devices.
How Do I Download a VPN on Android Box?
There are two ways to download VPNs on Android Box streamers. The easiest method is by visiting the Google Play Store app on your device and downloading the official app. This will allow you to automatically update the VPN once a new version comes out, which lets you stay on top of the latest security updates and performance enhancements.
- First of all, you need to have an active VPN subscription.
- If you haven’t made up your mind, we’d like to recommend ExpressVPN, considering that it’s the highest-rated VPN on our website;
- On your Android Box, open the Google Play Store;
- Select the Search field, and type in the name of your chosen VPN.
- Then, download the application by choosing ‘Install‘;
- After a few minutes, the VPN application will be downloaded and installed;
- Finally, open the application, sign in using your credentials, and that’s it!
How Do I Add a VPN to My Router or Modem?
To install a VPN on your router, you need to have two things. First, your chosen VPN needs to support the router installation. And your router needs to be compatible with VPNs and come with capable firmware.
When it comes to VPN, you won’t find a better option than ExpressVPN. This one supports a wide range of routers and even comes with step-by-step tutorials on how this process is done. And if you don’t have a compatible router, take a look at the best VPN routers. With everything set, you can jump to our article that explains how to install VPN on a router.
What’s The Best Free VPNs for Fire TV Stick?
We are going to save you a lot of time and effort by telling you to avoid free VPN providers. Even though you can find some best free VPN providers present on the market, the fact is that none of them take proper care of your privacy, and here’s why:
- Almost all free VPNs come with problematic data logging policies. They are often free to collect your personal data, store it, and even sell it to advertisers.
- Free VPNs typically don’t have native FireOS applications. Instead, they will offer APK (Android) files that you have to manually install. And this is the best way to get your Fire Stick or Fire TV infected with malware.
- Free VPNs bring limited usage, which is often so limited that you can’t stream anything or open any Web pages. In many cases, you’ll get 500MB of data – which typically serves as a trial plan, persuading you into paying for more data.
- Lastly, free VPNs don’t have any kind of encryption. They won’t protect your data from leaking on the Web, beating the main purpose of VPNs in the first place.
Do yourself a favor and stick to premium VPNs, such as ExpressVPN. Even though they charge you on a monthly basis, this is the only way to experience the best of what this technology offers.
How to Change Amazon Region Settings on Your Firestick?
Amazon offers its services in numerous markets, where some of them can be more restricted than others. To access the best of Amazon, it’s advisable to set your Firestick to pull content meant for the USA. Here’s how to change your Amazon region on your streamer.
- Log in to your Amazon account on Amazon’s official website;
- Now to ‘Your Orders‘ tab;
- Click on ‘Manage Content and Devices‘;
- Find and select the ‘Settings‘ tab;
- Finally, go to ‘Country Settings‘ > ‘Change‘;
- Once you’ve entered a new address, select ‘Update‘.
This is where we conclude our guide to best VPN for Fire TV and Fire TV Stick devices. We hope you’ve found this article to be useful and that you’ll pick one of our suggestions. In case of additional questions, feel free to contact us. You can use the comments section below.