These days, Android powers much more than just smartphones. You can find it on media streaming devices, set-top boxes, and smart TVs as well. For Kodi users, this is excellent news as that means you can run this application on a wide variety of devices. And also, the good news is that you can install Kodi on Android in a matter of minutes.
We’ve updated this guide on how to install Kodi 19 on Android phones and TVs for 2021, as our intention was to cover as many device types as possible. Still, we have something important to tell you first, so make sure to read the following segment carefully.
You should know that Kodi 19 ‘Matrix’ is now available for download (in addition, Kodi 19.1 has been released as well, resolving a number of bugs). However, if you plan on updating your Kodi, know that the latest version of this application breaks compatibility with a large number of addons. That means that you’ll need to wait for third-party developers to make their addons compatible with Kodi 19, which could take some time.
So, if you plan on using plenty of addons, we recommend using Kodi 18.9 for now. That’s because downgrading from Kodi 19 to Kodi 18 can be a very tricky task to accomplish, and even impossible in many cases.
Requirements for Running Kodi 19 on Android
Kodi is compatible with a wide range of Android devices. You don’t need to have the newest device – even a relatively old device won’t have any issues. So, let’s take a closer look at the minimum requirements for running Kodi on Android.
- The latest official Kodi version requires Android 5.0 or higher.
- Kodi also requires an x86 (Intel) or NEON-compatible ARM processor. This is important for those of you who want to run Android on tablets and TV boxes.
- The majority of Kodi addons offer HD content (and select ones support 4K). To fully enjoy this kind of content, you need a fast Internet connection, as well as a screen that supports HD resolutions.
How to Install Kodi on Android on Smartphones & TVs
Before we tell you all about installing Kodi on Android, we’ll provide a nice way to jump between different installation methods. So, here’s what to expect from this article.
- Method #1: Install Kodi on Android Smartphones via Play Store
- Method #2: Install Kodi on Android Smartphones via Chrome
- Method #3: Install Kodi on Android TV via Play Store
- Method #4: Install Kodi on Android TV via Chrome
First, we’ll go over the easiest method available right now. Here’s how to install Kodi 19 on Android using your device’s Play Store.
- Using your smartphone or tablet, open the Google Play Store.
- At the top of the screen, you’ll see a search bar. Tap on it and type in ‘Kodi.’
- After a couple of seconds, Kodi will be shown among the search results. Make sure to pick the app created by the Kodi Foundation (as other apps are clones of Kodi).
- You should see the app’s overview. This is also where you’ll find the ‘Install‘ button. Use it.
- After a while, Kodi will be downloaded and installed.
- You can use the same screen to launch the app, or you can go to your device’s app drawer. Go ahead and launch Kodi, and you’ll get to interact with the app. That’s it!
Next, let’s talk about how to install Kodi on Android by using Google’s Chrome browser.
- Open Chrome (or any other Web browser) and navigate to ‘https://kodi.tv/download.’
- Scroll down until you see a section named ‘Choose Your Weapon.’ Tap on ‘Android.’
- A new screen will open. You will see three blue-colored buttons. We only need two of those, named ‘ARMV7A (32bit)‘ or ‘ARMV8A (64bit).’ As we said earlier, you need to find out what kind of processor powers your device. If it’s a newer device, you can go with the 64-bit version.
- After you’ve clicked on the correct version, the file will begin to download. You will see an active notification on your device, which will also inform you when the download ends.
- Now we need to install Kodi. Tap on the notification that says that the file has been saved, and you’ll be taken to your device’s File Explorer. Select the app’s icon and enter the installation screen. Tap ‘Next‘ a couple of times, and Kodi will go through the rest of the installation on its own.
- You’ve made it! After the installation ends, Kodi will be placed among your smartphone’s apps. Find it, and click on it to launch Kodi.
Now, let’s talk about installing Kodi on your TV. Here’s how to install Kodi on Android TV (which includes both smart TVs and ‘Kodi Boxes’) using the built-in Google Play Store.
- Launch Android TV, and you should see its Home Screen. It consists of rows of icons.
- You can find Kodi by opening the Google Play Store. Alternatively, you can use the voice search function and simply say ‘Kodi.’ After a couple of seconds, you’ll see this application listed as one of the available options. So, click on the app’s icon.
- What you should see now is Kodi’s overview. Use the ‘Install’ button to finish the procedure.
- Kodi’s installation file will begin to download. After a few minutes (depending on your Internet connection), Kodi should be ready for use. That’s it!
Lastly, here’s how to install Kodi on Android TV if you have Google Chrome (or any other Web browser) installed.
- Open Chrome and go to http://kodi.tv/download. This is where you’ll find a list of available Kodi installation files. You’ll recognize Android’s icon on this page. So, click on it.
- Among the available options, you should pay attention to two of them: ‘ARMV7A (32bit)‘ and ‘ARMV8A (64bit).’ 64-bit CPUs power the majority of Android TV devices and TV boxes. You should try that option first. If it fails to install, return and download the 32-bit version.
- As the file begins to download, you will see a live notification. It will transform into a ‘Download Completed‘ notification after the file downloads. Click on it, and your device’s File Browser will open.
- Find your newly downloaded file and open it. You will see the ‘Install‘ button. Click on it.
- After a short installation guide, Kodi will be installed on your device. Find it in the Apps section of your Android TV device and launch it. That’s it!
Want to Learn More About Using Kodi?
We want to use this opportunity to teach you a few additional things about Kodi. This is why we’ve come up with a set of helpful guides found on TechNadu. Make sure to check them out.
- How to Enable Unknown Sources on Kodi
- Get the Best Kodi Addons
- Get the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
- How to Add Subtitles to Kodi
If you truly want to get the most out of Kodi, don’t forget to use a VPN application. Even though there are plenty of reasons to combine Kodi with a VPN, the most prominent benefit is that you’ll get to unlock any add-on. Check out the best VPNs for Kodi in 2021, and then learn how to install a VPN on Kodi.
So, that would be all on how to install Kodi 19 on Android in 2021. If you have any questions, don’t forget to post your comment below. And lastly – thank you for reading!