Despite its "free country" image, the United States is plagued by censorship, privacy intrusion, and data-logging practices. It's also part of the Five Eyes Alliance, so it shares intelligence with other countries. Plus, many gambling sites, sporting events, and streaming services are unavailable in the US.
Then there's the issue that if you live in the US but travel outside the country, you won't be able to access content from home. Fortunately, there's a solution to all these issues: using a VPN for the USA. That way you'll be able to maintain your privacy online, avoid surveillance, and bypass geo-restrictions.
In this article, we'll discuss choosing the best VPN for the USA and share our top 5 picks. We'll also show you how to get a VPN for the US, explain why you need a VPN, talk about whether it's legal to use one, tell you how to resolve common technical issues, and much more.
Best VPNs for the USA - Our Shortlist
- ExpressVPN – Our #1-Rated Best VPN for the USA in 2023
- NordVPN – Best USA VPN with Specialized Servers
- Private Internet Access – US VPN with Servers in All 50 States
- CyberGhost VPN – VPN for America with Massive Server Fleet
- Surfshark – Best Plug-and-Play United States VPN
How to Get a USA VPN
To get a US VPN, you must subscribe and then download your chosen VPN for America. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Sign up for a VPN that works in the United States (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install it on your device(s).
- Log in to the VPN service using your account credentials.
- Connect to a server in the US or abroad (if you wish to unblock content).
- Now you can safely and privately access the Internet. That's it!
Want to obtain a US IP from abroad and access US-exclusive content? Just pick a VPN server in the United States. To learn more, you can read our detailed guide on how to get a US IP address.
The Best VPNs for the USA in 2023
The criteria for selecting the best VPN for the USA follow those we mentioned in our guide to the best VPNs with the most servers. That means it's crucial to find a VPN with fast, reliable, and secure servers across as many US states as possible. Pay attention to the VPN's worldwide server network size, too.
Your chosen VPN must be able to unblock websites inside and outside the country. Speed and performance are also important—you don't want your VPN to slow you down. A VPN with obfuscated servers will hide your VPN traffic, and a kill switch will help avoid data leaks.
Regarding privacy, a VPN must have solid protocols (OpenVPN and WireGuard), 256-bit encryption, and a no-logs policy. It should work on many different devices and support numerous simultaneous connections. Finally, pick a VPN with reliable customer support and a solid money-back policy.
Based on the above-mentioned criteria, these are the 5 best VPNs for the USA in 2023:
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for the USA as it features 3,000+ servers in 94 countries globally and an army of ultra-capable servers across 17 locations in the US. This VPN can bypass even the most complex geo-blocks to access US-based sites (like Netflix US, Hulu, Disney+, and Max) and non-US websites.
Based on our hands-on tests, ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN available today. No matter if you connect to nearby or remote servers, ExpressVPN's performance will always be fast and stable without any interruptions. It's equally capable for media streaming, torrenting, and even gaming.
ExpressVPN has RAM-only obfuscated servers and a no-logs policy (independently audited many times). Let's not forget that you get OpenVPN and Lightway (ExpressVPN's own protocol) paired with AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and support for up to 5 simultaneous connections.
There are apps available for all major devices, including smartphones, computers, and tablets. It can even be set up on routers so devices like gaming consoles and media players that don't have native apps can run traffic through the VPN.
Lastly, this US VPN comes with a 30-day money-back policy. Also, it offers 24/7 live chat support, making sure all your questions are answered without you having to wait.
- Fastest VPN right now
- High-end privacy and security
- Great for unblocking websites
- Wide server fleet
- Many US servers
- Limited simultaneous connections
|Get NordVPN Now|| |
NordVPN is another highly capable USA VPN, especially if you care about privacy. It has 5,700+ servers in 60 countries worldwide, and close to 2,000 of them are spread across 16 locations in the US so you can access Netflix US, Disney+, Hulu, and Max from anywhere outside the USA.
Thanks to its server network, NordVPN works amazingly well for website unblocking. It gives you plenty of options to obtain foreign IPs and access global streaming services and websites.
The most prominent feature of this VPN is its double-hop servers. By encrypting your data twice, NordVPN provides you with the level of privacy you truly need. Aside from that, this audited no-logs VPN is powered by reliable protocols like OpenVPN and NordLynx (WireGuard).
We'll mention that NordVPN has specialized servers on offer, too. Some of those are obfuscated servers, and you'll find them across many US locations. Of course, a kill switch is also there to prevent accidental data leaks.
When it comes to speed, NordVPN isn't as fast as ExpressVPN, but it gets the job done. It has medium-fast speeds on most of its servers (minus the more remote ones, which are noticeably slower). Moreover, its performance is stable and reliable enough for streaming, gaming, torrenting, and browsing.
NordVPN allows up to 6 simultaneous connections and supports all major devices, so you can connect your phone, laptop, desktop, gaming console, media player, router, and more. Lastly, this United States VPN comes with 24/7 live chat support, and it has a 30-day money-back policy.
- Easy-to-use interface
- Dedicated US IP addresses
- 2,000+ servers in the US
- Regular privacy audits
- Reliable customer support
- Remote servers can be slow
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a true US VPN service, as it's headquartered in the country. It has thousands of servers in 84 countries worldwide and covers all 50 US states. So, you won't get any random US IP address. You'll get to pick an IP from a specific state.
PIA's global network makes it easy to unblock websites inside and outside the country, including US-based services like Hulu, Disney+, Netflix US, and Max. When it comes to security and privacy, this provider has AES-256 encryption, strong protocol options, and a solid no-logs policy.
Thanks to Shadowsocks, which comes built into PIA, obfuscation is available. There are also two types of kill switches, ensuring you connect only through a VPN connection. That's why PIA is so good at unblocking websites, especially media streaming platforms.
We'll also mention that PIA features a high level of customization. It allows you to optimize your VPN connection in a number of ways. For example, you can use a custom level of encryption, fine-tune VPN protocols, use two types of kill switches, and more.
PIA's speed and performance will depend somewhat on whether you fine-tune its settings. But with its default settings, it still delivers decent speeds and maintains consistent, reliable connections.
This VPN will support all your devices, including phones, tablets, computers, game systems, routers, and more. You can connect as many of them at once as you'd like thanks to PIA's unlimited simultaneous connections allowance.
Finally, like any other reputable VPN for the USA, PIA has a 30-day money-back policy and 24/7 live chat support.
- Servers across the USA
- Court-proven policies
- High-end privacy features
- Works on any device
- 24/7 live chat support
- Overly complex for beginners
CyberGhost is a trustworthy VPN brand with a major presence in the US. It comes with 9,500+ servers in 90+ countries, and nearly 1,400 servers are in the US spread across 11 locations. It can easily unblock both global and local services like Disney+, Hulu, Max, and Netflix US.
This provider allows you to pick servers optimized for streaming, torrenting, and gaming. This is ideal because CyberGhost isn't the fastest VPN out there. However, it should perform smoothly if you have a relatively fast baseline Internet connection (>50Mbps).
As far as privacy and security, CyberGhost offers 256-bit encryption, multiple VPN protocols (OpenVPN and WireGuard, primarily), and an audited no-logs policy. There's no obfuscation, but you get an automated kill switch, which works in the background.
CyberGhost allows up to 7 simultaneous connections on all major devices and operating systems, including macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. And let's not forget to mention CyberGhost's money-back guarantee: 45 days for long-term plans. Lastly, this VPN has 24/7 live chat customer support.
- Specialized servers on offer
- Almost 1,400 US servers
- Great for media streaming
- Works on any device
- 45-day money-back policy
- Slower than its competitors
Surfshark is a highly capable USA VPN service with 600+ US-based servers spread across 25 cities. This VPN has 3,200+ servers in 100 countries in total, so it can handily unblock sites and services both outside and inside the US, including Max, Hulu, Disney+, and Netflix US.
When it comes to speed, Surfshark is ultra-fast, ranking second after ExpressVPN in that regard. Its connections are stable and reliable, too. These capabilities make it ideal for any activity, whether you want to stream, game online, torrent, or simply browse the Web.
We'll also mention that this VPN for the USA has 256-bit encryption, it's powered by OpenVPN and WireGuard, and it follows an audited no-logs policy. On top of that, Surfshark's obfuscated servers work in a special mode, designed to bypass even the strictest online censorship.
Moreover, Surfshark's CleanWeb feature delivers a (literally) cleaner browsing experience, free of most intrusive advertising and protected against malware and phishing attempts.
An appealing aspect to Surfshark is its support for an unlimited number of devices, meaning you can simultaneously secure your phone, computer, game console, router, and more. We'll finalize this recommendation with Surfshark's 30-day money-back guarantee. And, of course, there's 24/7 live chat support.
- 600+ US servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ad-blocking built-in
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back policy
- Takes a while to connect
Comparison: Best VPNs for the USA
|Logs||Total Servers||US Servers||Streaming Service||Simultaneous Connections||Money-Back Guarantee||Customer Support|
|ExpressVPN||No logs||3,000+||Exact number unknown (15 locations)||Netflix US, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Max, ESPN+, Apple TV+, and more||5||30 days||24/7 chat available|
|NordVPN||No logs||5,700+||1,970+||Netflix US, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Max, ESPN+, Apple TV+, and more||6||30 days||24/7 chat available|
|Private Internet Access||No logs||Thousands||Exact number unknown (50+ locations)||Netflix US, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Max, ESPN+, Apple TV+, and more||Unlimited||30 days||24/7 chat available|
|CyberGhost VPN||No logs||9,500+||1,389||Netflix US, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Max, ESPN+, Apple TV+, and more||7||14 days (monthly plan); 45 days (longer-term plans)||24/7 chat available|
|Surfshark||No logs||3,200+||600+||Netflix US, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Max, ESPN+, Apple TV+, and more||Unlimited||30 days||24/7 chat available|
Why Do You Need a US VPN?
You need a US VPN to protect yourself against online threats and surveillance, as well as to access geo-restricted content.
Other reasons why you need a VPN for the USA are:
- Protect Your Identity – The best VPN in the USA will offer military-grade encryption and privacy-enhancing features, which is important because the US is a member of the Five Eyes Alliance. A powerful VPN will free you from the prying eyes of your ISP, the government, or anyone else.
- Unblock Streaming Platforms – With a VPN, you can unblock any streaming content libraries both in the US and around the world. If you're traveling abroad, you can use a USA VPN to access content available only back home so you don't miss any of your favorite shows.
- Access Geo-Restricted Services – A VPN for America will help you access sites restricted in certain US states, such as porn or gambling services. Many online casinos and sports betting sites aren't even allowed in the US at all. You'll also be able to avoid sports blackouts because you can simply connect to a US server in an area where the event is being aired.
- Safely Torrent – Torrenting in the USA is risky due to data logging. A US VPN will allow you to torrent without any concerns about your activity being tracked.
- Avoid ISP Throttling – If your ISP detects you're using too much bandwidth, which can happen when torrenting or streaming a lot, it might throttle your connection. A VPN will prevent your ISP from seeing your activity and data usage.
- Block Ads and Trackers – If you don’t want the websites you visit to collect your data and browsing history to use for generating targeted marketing content, an American VPN will prevent this.
How to Choose the Best VPN for the USA?
To narrow down your options and choose the best VPN for the USA, you need to think about your needs, primarily. However, you must also pay attention to specific VPN features, as explained below:
- Find a VPN That Works in the US – A VPN for the USA needs to work properly in the United States. It must be capable of masking your IP address to shield your identity and location. It should also be able to unblock any geo-restricted content.
- Ensure There Are Plenty of Servers – Having a wealth of US-based and global servers at your disposal is necessary to ensure you can access any content from any country. Plus, the more servers a VPN has, the less overcrowding you’ll experience.
- Check Platform and Device Coverage – Your chosen VPN should offer apps for all your devices. Some VPNs even offer a Smart DNS feature to unblock streaming platforms on smart TVs and gaming consoles.
- Determine Performance Expectations – VPNs will slow you down because they encrypt and route your traffic through their servers. It’s crucial to find a VPN that causes a minimal reduction in speed. Read reviews from reputable sources who have run speed tests because many VPN providers over-promise their capabilities.
- Secure a Money-Back Guarantee – A generous money-back policy allows you to try the VPN, verify its performance, and ensure it suits your needs. All the USA VPNs we reviewed in this article have at least 30-day money-back guarantees, which is a good standard to follow when considering other VPNs.
Websites That Are Blocked in the United States
The United States rarely blocks websites explicitly. However, websites can be blocked in the US due to commercial restrictions and copyright infringement, for example. Here's more info:
- Commercial Geo-Based Restrictions – Due to licensing agreements, many sites don't operate in the US and impose geo-based blocks willingly. Those sites (such as BBC iPlayer, ITV X, or Hotstar) are not blocked or banned explicitly; they don't have the required legal framework to operate in the US.
- Restrictions in Schools – Many schools in the US block access to sites related to gaming, social networking, and pornography. Also, chat apps and forum sites are often blocked.
- Restrictions on Pornographic Sites – In Louisiana, access to porn websites (affecting PornHub at the moment) is possible only after you verify your driver's license.
- File Upload Services (Intellectual Property Protection) – Napster, WikiLeaks, The Pirate Bay (and many other P2P repositories), and MegaUpload were banned at some point in the past due to copyright infringement.
Are VPNs Legal in the USA?
Yes, VPNs are legal in the United States. There are absolutely no legal restrictions that would restrict your use of a VPN service in any way.
However, a VPN is not an excuse to engage in illegal activity. In other words, a VPN can hide your activities even from your Internet provider. Still, don't make a mistake thinking that a VPN gives you the right to do anything you wouldn't do otherwise.
You can find more information in our guide that answers the question, is a VPN legal? That's where you'll learn in-depth about the legality of using a VPN for privacy protection, media streaming, and more.
Can You Get In Trouble for Using a VPN in the USA?
No, you can't get in trouble for using a VPN in the United States. No matter if you get access to the Internet from AT&T, Comcast, T-Mobile, Verizon, Charter, or some other ISP, you won't face any issues if you start using a VPN.
Of course, as explained in the previous segment, stay on the legal side of things - even if you hide behind the best VPN for the USA. The VPNs in this guide are so powerful that it's impossible for third parties to get to your data. However, there's no need to push your luck.
VPN Not Working in the US - How to Fix?
If your VPN is not working in the US, you can do a lot to troubleshoot it. Here are some quick and actionable tips on what to do:
- Restart Your Device and VPN – Sometimes, something as simple as restarting your device can resolve VPN-related issues. So, no matter if you use a VPN on a computer, phone, tablet, or streaming device, your first step is to restart your device and your VPN.
- Try Another Server – VPN servers are usually under a heavy load, which means they can encounter all kinds of technical issues. That's not something you can resolve, but you can access your VPN and connect to a different location (in a different country, preferably).
- Try Another Protocol – VPNs typically have at least a couple of protocols. You can switch between them by visiting your VPN's settings menu. Make sure to disconnect from your session, switch to another VPN protocol, and then connect to another server.
- Reinstall or Update Your Software – When was the last time you updated your VPN app? Visit its settings menu and check for updates. If there are no updates, you can re-install your VPN, restoring the application to its factory settings.
- Restart Your Modem/Router – Even the best VPN in the USA can't do much if your connection is slow or weak. That's why we recommend you restart your networking equipment. Unplug it and keep it unplugged for about 30 seconds. Then, re-enable your Web connection.
Can You Use a Free VPN in the USA?
Yes, you can use a free VPN in the USA - but that's actually a very bad idea. That's because free VPN services are severely limited, they are very slow, and they can endanger your privacy.
First of all, most free VPNs log and sell your data. They also offer few servers and slow speeds, which makes sense if you think about it. After all, it costs a lot of money to rent and maintain a server network, pay developers, provide customer support, etc.
To top everything off, your device could get infected with malware. Most free VPNs on Apple's and Google's app stores are scams. They're designed to extract your data, often maliciously.
Your goal is to protect your data and privacy - not to put yourself in danger. And the only way to get everything you want is to use a premium USA VPN. So, pick any of the recommendations we listed above, or expand your options using our guide to the best VPN service.
As a Five Eyes member, the United States is a world leader in digital surveillance and data logging. Moreover, there are considerable geo-restrictions that control content availability in the US. A VPN is your best solution for accessing the Web privately and removing any digital roadblocks.
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN for the USA because it’s incredibly fast, reliable, and secure. With a strict no-logs policy and steadfast commitment to user privacy, you'll be safe from any snooping. You can safely browse, torrent, or access as much geo-restricted content as you’d like.
Which VPN is USA Based?
Private Internet Access is USA based (Denver, Colorado) and one of the most trustworthy VPN services available today. It brings high-end security and offers servers in all 50 US states.
Does a VPN Work in the USA?
Yes, a VPN will work in the USA. In fact, it's highly recommended to use one to avoid surveillance, protect your privacy, and access geo-restricted content.
What is the Best VPN Service in the US?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN service in the US. It brings impeccable privacy protection, a lot of servers in the US and abroad, and allows you to unblock any website.
How Much Does a US VPN Cost?
US VPN costs range from around $2 to $7 per month, depending on the provider and length of the term you subscribe for. CyberGhost and PIA both cost $2.11/month, but you'll have to pay for 2 full years up front.
On the higher end of US VPN costs is ExpressVPN, which is $6.67/month if you pay for a year up front.
Can the US Government Track VPNs?
Yes, the US government can track some VPNs, especially free ones. That's why it's important to subscribe to a provider with strong security and privacy features like a no-logs policy and obfuscation.
What VPN Has the Most Servers in the US?
Based on available server data, NordVPN has the highest number of US servers with 1,970+. However, ExpressVPN and PIA don't release their server count numbers, so we can't see if they have more.
That said, PIA has servers in all 50 US states, which no other VPN can match.
Does ExpressVPN Work in the USA?
Yes, ExpressVPN works in the USA. In fact, it's our top-choice VPN for the USA because of its server availability, speeds, and capacity to unblock restricted content.
What is the Fastest US VPN Server?
The fastest US VPN server is ExpressVPN's server in New York. Of course, server speed does depend somewhat on your physical location. The closer the server is to you, the faster it will be.
That wraps up our guide to choosing the top VPN for the USA. If you have any questions or remarks, leave them in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!