Apple is often criticized for making iOS a tightly restricted and regulated system. However, this means that iPhone and iPad users don’t have to think about malware, spyware, and adware – at least when it comes to the iOS App Store. Still, Apple doesn’t have the power to protect you from every online danger, which is where VPN applications can be your biggest ally.
During the last couple of months, we’ve heard shocking news about the misuse of our personal data. You probably know all about the recent Facebook data breach, and you’ve heard about the repeal of Net Neutrality. As can be expected, many of us are turning to secure solutions to make sure our private data is properly protected. This is where iOS VPNs come into play, being the most effective measure of battling against online threats.
The best VPN for iPhone and iPad will secure all your online traffic, going from and to your handheld device. As you can see, this means that you get to use your device without having to worry about potential online dangers. You can securely join public Wi-Fi networks, unblock new types of websites, secure your communications, and stop anyone from seeing what you do online.
At the moment, TechNadu offers 50+ VPN reviews on our website. We’ve tested and tried all of those VPNs for ourselves in an effort find truly the very best VPN in 2019, which means that we know what we’re talking about.
So, we’re proud to present top 5 best VPN for iPhone and iPad in March 2019.
In horse-racing terms, ExpressVPN is a thoroughbred. Some VPNs excel in certain areas while completely dropping the ball in others. ExpressVPN has clearly considered everything from top to bottom. They offer the most complete service, with every element given a professional and polished finish.
For iPhone and iPad users, there is a highly useful app to make setting up your VPN as easy as possible. You can run three devices simultaneously on your ExpressVPN account, which is okay, but we would have liked to have seen five simultaneous connections. ExpressVPN’s security and privacy puts it among the upper reaches, although not quite at the pinnacle. The bottom line is that they use ultra-secure protocols and have a no logging policy so that you can browse the internet with freedom.
When it comes to speed and location options, ExpressVPN is incredibly impressive. They have over 2,000 servers in 90+ countries, and the performance was more than solid, regardless of whether you were connecting from Spain or South Africa.
If the app itself wasn’t enough, ExpressVPN truly goes the extra mile with its support services. Not only do they have a contender for the best customer support in the VPN space, but their support offerings would also make those of many other software companies seem weak by comparison.
You can keep on learning more about this VPN provider by reading our ExpressVPN review. This is where you’ll find additional information based on which we strongly believe that ExpressVPN is the best iPhone VPN in 2019.
2. CyberGhost VPN
Coming from Romania, CyberGhost is one of the most user-friendly VPNs on the market. This is a fast-developing VPNs with an ever-growing network of servers that’s present in the entire world.
The latest iteration of CyberGhost VPN is the best one yet. It comes with a completely overhauled interface, easy enough even for complete beginners. Once you start to dig deeper, you will see plenty of interesting options used to fine-tune your user experience.
First of all, this VPN is capable of unblocking websites such as Netflix US, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and more. To achieve this, you can connect to specialized servers that seem to go beyond Web roadblocks with ease. Let’s also not forget that CyberGhost can be used for torrenting as well, which has become a rare thing these days.
Among other important information, CyberGhost comes with more than 3,000 secure servers. And most importantly, it doesn’t leak or store your personal data on its servers. This is a rare ‘no-logs’ policy that can stand behind its claims.
To check everything else you need to know about this VPN, we have a hands-on CyberGhost VPN review. Make sure to take a look.
NordVPN is a respectable VPN provider that is present on all major platforms. Aside from offering the standard set of features, this VPN is incredibly easy to use and acts like a fully automated solution.
NordVPN has an awe-inspiring server list – its thousands of servers spread across 60+ countries. Easy access to a wide range of servers is one thing, but this VPN also offers one of the most accessible apps to deal with. If you’re new to VPN and worried that you might be confused, worry not, NordVPN makes everything as easy as pie. Regarding performance, there are faster offerings, but these speeds are nothing to sniff at. What’s more impressive are the VPN’s privacy credentials. NordVPN offers an eye-popping range of encryption protocols and ensures that its users have everything they need to surf privately. To bolster that claim, they also have a zero-logging policy.
We thought ExpressVPN’s service offerings couldn’t be better, but the 24/7 live support team at NordVPN might be even a cut above. They respond quickly and are very friendly, patient, and knowledgeable. It really makes you feel good (particularly if you’ve signed up for a long period) to know that they care about their customers.
The best way to get to know this service is by reading our NordVPN review. So, click on the provided links and take a look.
IPVanish is a U.S. based VPN service. If that makes you feel uncomfortable, know that the company has a strict no-logging policy, so even if a government agency requested user data, there would be nothing to share.
IPVanish has a VPN app for the iPhone and recently added a VPN app for the iPad as well. The user interface is not the best – both in terms of general usability and some bugs we’ve encountered. However, once everything is set up, the performance is more than decent. While far from being the speediest option, it does offer something for P2P users – BitTorrent is not restricted. Many VPNs will limit BitTorrent use to a small number of servers, but with IPVanish you are free to use the file-sharing client on any server.
A big positive to its credit is an army of servers spread out over 60+ countries. If you want to access the net using a server from a particular country, then a wide global network of server options is a must. More to the point, IPVanish makes use of robust security and privacy frameworks to ensure that your online activity stays private. And finally, IPVanish offers up to five simultaneous connections. However, their terms of service stipulate that an account should only be used by a single user – the account owner.
Want to know more about why this is one of the best VPN for iOS devices? Take a quick look at our IPVanish review.
5. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access is a long-standing VPN with a strong reputation for keeping its users safe. Even though it comes from the USA (which isn’t ideal in terms of data collection), PIA has proven via official means that it does not collect any personal information.
What’s interesting about PIA is its UI design. Across desktop operating systems, it looks similar to a mobile app, which is great from the ease-of-use perspective. You can adjust your user experience via a series of toggles that enable different kinds of options. There’s an advanced kill-switch, PIA’s technology against ads and malware, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and plenty more.
Aside from using a wide range of VPN protocols, PIA comes with over 3,000 servers spread across 30+ countries. Many of these provide good speeds but they can’t be used for media streaming. We’re talking about popular streaming websites coming from the USA. With this said, we strongly recommend Private Internet Access if you want to keep browsing the Web in a secure way, without wanting to unblock major streaming websites.
Interesting in learning more about this provider? We’re sure you are – so here’s our rPrivate Internet Access review, where you can see why this is one of the best iPhone VPNs right now.
Answered: Your Most Burning Questions About iPhone and iPad VPN Apps in 2019
Now that you know your best options, it’s time to explore this topic in a more comprehensive manner. We’re going to explain different aspects of using a VPN on iOS, as well as what makes the best iPhone VPN a must-have in today’s world. Let’s take a look.
Why Do You Need a VPN for iOS, In The First Place?
Without any doubt, a VPN has become a necessity these days. These are easy-to-use yet powerful applications that mask your online traffic. They have the power to hide your online activity from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) as well as from just about anyone else. On top of this, VPNs are useful for keeping malware at bay, making sure you’re using encrypted networks, and they can even unblock websites. However, this doesn’t mean that you should use just about any VPN. Taking some time to research and find truly the best VPN for iPhone and iPad will most certainly pay off.
The good news is that iOS users are already protected. Apple has done a good job of creating a secure ecosystem, as much as this company was capable of doing. However, this doesn’t mean that you don’t need a VPN. That’s because your data is exposed every time you connect to the Web. Even Apple collects your data to ‘improve user experience’. You cannot trust anyone and you should do all you can do to protect yourself. This is even more important considering how easy-to-use and accessible VPN applications are.
How to Find the Best iPhone VPN App in 2019?
There are hundreds of different VPNs on the Web. Naturally, this can create a lot of confusion when trying to find the best one. This situation is even more complex once you add iOS to this equation.
So, let’s cut to the chase. Based on our experience, you’ll hardly find a better deal than ExpressVPN. This is not only the best VPN for Mac but one of the best VPN services all around. And it has been one of the top-ranked ones for several years now. That’s why we would once again like to recommend it for your consideration.
And now, let’s discuss what makes a good VPN, and what are the things to pay attention to when choosing a VPN that will keep you protected in the future.
- Ease of Use: These days, most VPNs are incredibly simple for use. They are no longer designed for corporate customers, and companies understand what an average user wants. However, there are numerous subtleties, so pay attention to their UI (user interface).
- Number of Servers: Do you want to browse the Web safely by being connected to a server in your country? Do you want to watch American Netflix? Or maybe you want to access Japanese Hulu? Depending on your needs, take a look at servers that will be at your disposal.
- Encryption & Security Features: You should pick a VPN that supports 256-bit encryption. This is the standard when it comes to capable encryption that can keep you safe online. There are also security-related features that keep you protected at all times. For example, a capable kill switch will prevent your data from being exposed if your VPN connection drops.
- Performance: You can expect to browse the Web at a slower speed when connected to a VPN. However, the best VPNs will minimize throttling. All of our options found above provide amazing performance.
- Customer Support: Depending on your skills and knowledge, you might want a VPN with world-class customer support. If that’s so, you should pick a VPN that brings 24/7 support including live chat option.
What Can You Do with a VPN on iOS?
There are numerous reasons why individuals use VPN applications. The most basic one is to protect their private data. Since VPNs turn regular connections into encrypted ones, no one can track your whereabouts on the Web. This is what every reputable VPN brings. However, there are many more possible uses as well.
When it comes to iOS, a VPN will encrypt all incoming and outgoing data. Your ISP won’t be able to detect what you do on the Web, which means that no user data is stored. Then, you can visit restricted websites. For example, connect to a VPN server in the USA, launch the Netflix app on your iPhone, and you’ll see a huge catalog of movies and TV shows.
You should pick the VPN that best suits your needs. Aside from considering options in this article, you can take a look at the best VPNs for torrenting, for MacOS, or media streaming VPNs. Then, cross-reference everything and you should have a clear idea of what you need.
How to Setup a VPN on iPhone and iPad?
Are you afraid that setting up a VPN on iOS is overly complicated? There’s no need for that concern since the process is quite simple. Here’s what you need to know:
- First, decide which of the listed VPNs fit your needs. Based on our hands-on experience, we firmly suggest you to considering subscribing to ExpressVPN since this is one of the most comprehensive and most secure VPNs out there (while being one of the easiest-to-use at the same time).
- Next, sign up for a new account;
- Now you can visit the App Store and download the respective app;
- Once the VPN is downloaded and installed, sign in using your new credentials. This is when you’ll see a list of available servers. Pick any and your new VPN will encryption your connection. You will also get a new IP address based on the country (server) of your choice;
- That’s it. From now on, all your Web data will be encrypted and kept away from prying eyes. You can launch Safari and browse the Web like you normally would.
How to Setup OpenVPN Apps on iOS?
Some VPN providers don’t offer a native iOS app. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t use it. What’s important here is that the chosen VPN is based on OpenVPN. This protocol means setting up a VPN on a wide range of devices (including iOS) without having to install a native app.
- The first step is to select a VPN provider, and our first pick would be ExpressVPN since it provides fast speeds, strong encryption, and it’s fully compatible with the OpenVPN standard.
- Next, download the OpenVPN Connect App from the App Store;
- Now go to your VPN’s official website and look for the OpenVPN configuration files. It can be usually found in the ‘Downloads’ section. In case this is a ZIP file, unzip it on your computer and sent the file to your inbox;
- Now open the OpenVPN app on your iPhone/iPad. Tap on ‘Import’ and select the file you’ve downloaded to your iOS device;
- You will also get to enter your username and password. You should already have these credentials since you’ve signed up for a VPN service previously;
- Once the configuration file is loaded, the app will connect to a secure server of your choosing. That’s it – your connection is now safe and secure.
Which VPN Should You Pick for Watching Netflix on iOS?
Netflix has a fully-featured application that works across all iOS devices. And since the latest iPhones come with brilliant displays, streaming videos is a pure pleasure. So, which VPN should you pick to unblock Netflix US and stream media without any buffering?
As you can imagine, you need to go for a VPN with a proven track record of providing reliable speeds. And to help you with this, we have a dedicated article to the best VPNs for media streaming. Once again, you’ll find ExpressVPN taking the first place, which we strongly feel is the best VPN currently on the market.
Should You Go For a Free-Of-Charge VPN Service?
Finally, we’ve arrived to the section where we talk about free VPNs. We try to include this section in all our VPN-related article because there are numerous misconceptions about this type of applications. We are going to be short and on-point about this – stay away from free VPNs.
- First of all, maintaining a server network takes a lot of time and money. That’s why VPNs are always subscription-based. To make sure their servers aren’t overloaded, free VPNs come with serious limitations. These are time-based or bandwidth-based limits. In general, there are set to make it impossible for you to use a free VPN in the long-term.
- There’s also the question of safety. You don’t know what happens to your private data, which might be sold to advertisers. After all, even free VPNs need to generate revenue in some way.
- And lastly, free VPNs leak data more often than not. These applications hardly bring the highest level of encryption, which is why websites often see your true IP address. This means that those VPNs do close to nothing when it comes to your online anonymity.
Your privacy should be taken seriously. This is why using a commercial VPN is the only way to go. Take another look at our overview of the best VPN for iPhone and iPad – and you’ll certainly find a hugely powerful solution, such as ExpressVPN for example. Don’t let your personal data end up in the wrong hands.
This is where we end our article on the best iPhone and iPad VPNs. If you have questions that we failed to answer, post them using the comments section below. Also, don’t forget to share this article online and spread the word about the best VPN services for iPhones and iPads.