The truth is that iOS and iPadOS are among the safest mobile platforms – mostly due to Apple’s strict control over its mobile app store. However, when it comes to your online privacy, there’s not much that Apple can do to protect you. Sure, it limits some trackers via Safari and prevents apps from collecting unneeded information. However, nothing can replace a fully-featured VPN app, especially if you seek total online anonymity. So, the big question here is – what’s the best VPN for iPhone and iPad in 2020? Don’t worry, we have the answer!
The first thing you know is this – you need a native VPN app. Many VPN services promise to be compatible with iPhones and iPads, but this doesn’t mean that they bring native apps. Instead, many of these rely on manual configuration, which can be a tedious and limiting process (especially in the long term). Therefore, all of the VPNs found in this article come with native apps that are highly polished, easy to use, and often updated.
Then, there’s one more thing to notice. Any of the VPNs found here can be considered as the best VPN for iPhone and iPad. However, this doesn’t mean that all of them are the same. These come with different sets of features, various types of server networks, they can unblock different types of websites and more. So, do you plan on using a VPN to browse the Web? Do you plan on streaming media on your iOS device? Or maybe you want to download torrents on your iPhone and iPad? Depending on how you answer those questions, you need to make your final pick. So, pay special attention to the following VPNs’ descriptions, as will tell you all you need to know.
Without further ado, here are the 6 best VPN for iPhone and iPad in 2020.
In horse-racing terms, ExpressVPN is a thoroughbred. Some VPNs excel in certain areas while completely dropping the ball in others. ExpressVPN has clearly considered everything from top to bottom. They offer the most complete service, with every element given a professional and polished finish.
For iPhone and iPad users, there is a highly useful app to make setting up your VPN as easy as possible. ExpressVPN’s security and privacy put it among the upper reaches, by offering a nice selection of protocols available on iOS. The bottom line is that they use ultra-secure protocols and have a no-logging policy so that you can browse the Web with complete freedom. If the app itself wasn’t enough, ExpressVPN truly goes the extra mile with its support services. Not only do they have a contender for the best customer support in the VPN space, but their support offerings would also make those of many other software companies seem weak by comparison.
You can keep on learning more about this VPN provider by reading our ExpressVPN review. This is where you’ll find additional information based on which we strongly believe that ExpressVPN is the best iPhone VPN in 2020.
- Available VPN Protocols (on iOS): OpenVPN (UDP/TCP), IKEv2, IPSec.
- iOS/iPadOS App Store Rating: 4.6/5 (53,000+ ratings).
- App Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
Coming from Romania, CyberGhost VPN is one of the most user-friendly VPNs on the market. This is a fast-developing VPNs with an ever-growing network of servers that’s present in the entire world.
First of all, this VPN is capable of unblocking websites such as Netflix US, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and more. To achieve this, you can connect to specialized servers that seem to go beyond Web roadblocks with ease. Let’s also not forget that CyberGhost VPN can be used for torrenting as well, which has become a rare thing these days. Among other important information, CyberGhost comes with more than 5,700 secure servers. And most importantly, it doesn’t leak or store your personal data on its servers. This is a rare ‘no-logs’ policy that can stand behind its claims.
To check everything else you need to know about this VPN before you reach your final decision, we have a hands-on CyberGhost VPN review. Make sure to take a look.
- Available VPN Protocols (on iOS): OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, IPSec.
- iOS/iPadOS App Store Rating: 4.4/5 (14,500+ ratings).
- App Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
NordVPN is a respectable VPN provider that is present on all major platforms. Aside from offering the standard set of features, this VPN is incredibly easy to use and acts like a fully automated solution.
NordVPN has an awe-inspiring server list – its thousands of servers spread across 60+ countries. Easy access to a wide range of servers is one thing, but this VPN also offers one of the most accessible apps to deal with. If you’re new to VPN and worried that you might be confused, worry not, NordVPN makes everything as easy as pie. Regarding performance, there are faster offerings, but these speeds are nothing to sniff at. NordVPN offers an eye-popping range of encryption protocols and ensures that its users have everything they need to surf privately. To bolster that claim, they also have a zero-logging policy.
The best way to get to know this service is by reading our NordVPN review. So, click on the provided link and take a look.
- Available VPN Protocols (on iOS): IKEv2/IPsec; OpenVPN available as well.
- iOS/iPadOS App Store Rating: 4.6/5 (80,800+ ratings).
- App Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
Even though Surfshark doesn’t have a decade of existence, like some other VPNs from this article do, we believe this to be its strength. Surfshark has closely inspected its competition before becoming available on the global market and successfully managed to come up with a set of incredibly strong features.
First of all, Surfshark comes with a brilliantly designed interface. No matter if you use its iOS app or another application offered by this VPN, you’ll see a simple and user-centric UI. It takes just one tap on your iPhone’s screen to secure your Web connection and become invisible on the Web. Then, there’s incredibly strong protection and bulletproof VPN protocols. And you should also know that Surfshark doesn’t track what you do online, and it doesn’t collect any logs. Finally, you can use this VPN to unblock pretty much any website or media streaming platform.
We offer our hands-on Surfshark review, in case you need additional information regarding this VPN. Make sure to read the review carefully, and you’ll see why this is one of the best iPhone VPNs in 2020.
- Available VPN Protocols (on iOS): IKEv2, OpenVPN.
- iOS/iPadOS App Store Rating: 4.4/5 (600+ ratings).
- App Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
IPVanish is a U.S. based VPN service. If that makes you feel uncomfortable, know that the company has a strict no-logging policy, so even if a government agency requested user data, there would be nothing to share.
IPVanish has a VPN app for the iPhone and recently added a VPN app for the iPad as well. The user interface is not the best – both in terms of general usability and some bugs we’ve encountered. However, once everything is set up, the performance is more than decent. While far from being the speediest option, it does offer something for P2P users – BitTorrent is not restricted.
A big positive to its credit is an army of servers spread out over 60+ countries. More to the point, IPVanish makes use of robust security and privacy frameworks to ensure that your online activity stays private. So, want to know more about why this is one of the best VPN for iOS devices? Take a quick look at our IPVanish review.
- Available VPN Protocols (on iOS): IPSec, IKEv2.
- iOS/iPadOS App Store Rating: 4.5/5 (34,500+ ratings).
- App Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
Private Internet Access is a long-standing VPN with a strong reputation for keeping its users safe. Even though it comes from the USA (which isn’t ideal in terms of data collection), PIA has proven via official means that it does not collect personal information.
What’s interesting about PIA is its UI design. You can adjust your user experience via a series of toggles that enable different kinds of options. There’s an advanced kill-switch, PIA’s technology against ads and malware, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and plenty more. Aside from using a wide range of VPN protocols, PIA comes with over 3,300 servers. Many of these provide good speeds but they can’t be used for media streaming. We’re talking about popular streaming websites coming from the USA.
Interesting in learning more about this VPN? We’re sure you are – so here’s our Private Internet Access review where you’ll find a wealth of useful information.
- Available VPN Protocols (on iOS): OpenVPN, IPSec, IKEv2.
- iOS/iPadOS App Store Rating: 4.7/5 (41,800+ ratings).
- App Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
Now that you know your best options, it’s time to explore this topic in a more comprehensive manner. We’re going to explain different aspects of using a VPN on iOS, as well as what makes the best iPhone VPN a must-have in today’s world. Let’s take a look.
Why Do You Need a VPN for iOS, In The First Place?
Without any doubt, a VPN has become a necessity these days. These are easy-to-use yet powerful applications that mask your online traffic. They have the power to hide your online activity from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) as well as from just about anyone else.
On top of this, VPNs are useful for keeping malware at bay, making sure you’re using encrypted networks, and they can even unblock websites. However, this doesn’t mean that you should use just about any VPN. Taking some time to research and find truly the best VPN for iPhone and iPad will most certainly pay off.
How to Find the Best iPhone or iPad VPN App in 2020?
So, let’s cut to the chase. Based on our experience, you’ll hardly find a better deal than ExpressVPN. This is not only the best VPN for Mac but one of the best VPN services all around. And it has been one of the top-ranked ones for several years now. That’s why we would once again like to recommend it for your consideration.
And now, let’s discuss what makes a good VPN, and what are the things to pay attention to when choosing a VPN that will keep you protected in the future.
- Ease of Use: These days, most VPNs are incredibly simple for use. They are no longer designed for corporate customers, and companies understand what an average user wants. However, there are numerous subtleties, so pay attention to their UI (user interface).
- Number of Servers: Do you want to browse the Web safely by being connected to a server in your country? Do you want to watch American Netflix? Or maybe you want to access Japanese Hulu? Depending on your needs, take a look at servers that will be at your disposal.
- Encryption & Security Features: You should pick a VPN that supports 256-bit encryption. This is the standard when it comes to capable encryption that can keep you safe online. There are also security-related features that keep you protected at all times. For example, a capable kill switch will prevent your data from being exposed if your VPN connection drops.
- Performance: You can expect to browse the Web at a slower speed when connected to a VPN. However, the best VPNs will minimize throttling. All of our options found above provide amazing performance.
- Customer Support: Depending on your skills and knowledge, you might want a VPN with world-class customer support. If that’s so, you should pick a VPN that brings 24/7 support including live chat options.
What Can You Do with a VPN on iOS?
When it comes to iOS, a VPN will encrypt all incoming and outgoing data. Your ISP won’t be able to detect what you do on the Web, which means that no user data is stored. Then, you can visit restricted websites. For example, connect to a VPN server in the USA, launch the Netflix app on your iPhone, and you’ll see a huge catalog of movies and TV shows.
You should pick the VPN that best suits your needs. Aside from considering options in this article, you can take a look at the best VPNs for torrenting, for macOS, or media streaming VPNs. Then, cross-reference everything and you should have a clear idea of what you need.
How to Setup a VPN on iPhone and iPad?
Are you afraid that setting up a VPN on iOS is overly complicated? There’s no need for that concern since the process is quite simple. Here’s what you need to know:
- First, decide which of the listed VPNs fits your needs. Based on our hands-on experience, we firmly suggest you consider subscribing to ExpressVPN since this is one of the most comprehensive and most secure VPNs out there (while being one of the easiest-to-use at the same time).
- Next, sign up for a new account;
- Now you can visit the App Store and download the respective app;
- Once the VPN is downloaded and installed, sign in using your new credentials. This is when you’ll see a list of available servers. Pick any and your new VPN will encrypt your connection. You will also get a new IP address based on the country (server) of your choice;
- That’s it. From now on, all your Web data will be encrypted and kept away from prying eyes. You can launch Safari and browse the Web like you normally would.
How to Setup OpenVPN Apps on iOS?
Some VPN providers don’t offer a native iOS app. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t use it. What’s important here is that the chosen VPN is based on OpenVPN. This protocol means setting up a VPN on a wide range of devices (including iOS) without having to install a native app.
- The first step is to select a VPN provider, and our first pick would be ExpressVPN since it provides fast speeds, strong encryption, and it’s fully compatible with the OpenVPN standard.
- Next, download the OpenVPN Connect App from the App Store;
- Now go to your VPN’s official website and look for the OpenVPN configuration files. These can be usually found in the ‘Downloads’ section. In case this is a ZIP file, unzip it on your computer and sent the file to your inbox;
- Now open the OpenVPN app on your iPhone/iPad. Tap on ‘Import’ and select the file you’ve downloaded to your iOS device;
- You will also get to enter your username and password. You should already have these credentials since you’ve signed up for a VPN service previously;
- Once the configuration file is loaded, the app will connect to a secure server of your choosing. That’s it – your connection is now safe and secure.
Which VPN Should You Pick for Watching Netflix on iOS?
As you can imagine, you need to go for a VPN with a proven track record of providing reliable speeds. And to help you with this, we have a dedicated article to the best VPNs for media streaming. Once again, you’ll find ExpressVPN taking the first place, which we strongly feel is the best VPN currently on the market.
Should You Go For a Free-Of-Charge VPN Service?
Finally, we’ve arrived at the section where we talk about free VPNs. We try to include this section in all our VPN-related articles because there are numerous misconceptions about this type of application. We are going to be short and on-point about this – stay away from free VPNs.
- First of all, maintaining a server network takes a lot of time and money. That’s why VPNs are always subscription-based. To make sure their servers aren’t overloaded, free VPNs come with serious limitations. These are time-based or bandwidth-based limits. In general, there are set to make it impossible for you to use a free VPN in the long-term.
- There’s also the question of safety. You don’t know what happens to your private data, which might be sold to advertisers. After all, even free VPNs need to generate revenue in some way.
- And lastly, free VPNs leak data more often than not. These applications hardly bring the highest level of encryption, which is why websites often see your true IP address. This means that those VPNs do close to nothing when it comes to your online anonymity.
Your privacy should be taken seriously. This is why using a commercial VPN is the only way to go. Take another look at our overview of the best VPN for iPhone and iPad – and you’ll certainly find a hugely powerful solution, such as ExpressVPN for example. Don’t let your personal data end up in the wrong hands.
This is where we end our article on the best iPhone and iPad VPNs. If you have questions that we failed to answer, post them using the comments section below. Also, don’t forget to share this article online and spread the word about the best VPN services for iPhones and iPads.