Many of us have a number of media files stored on our computers, usually scattered in different directories. Just remember when was the last time you organized them? Well, that’s where Kodi comes into play. This application is capable of storing, organizing, filtering, and playing different kinds of files. Now, just imagine having that entire library of media on your large-screen TV. That’s entirely possible if you’re using one of Apple TV models. We’re here to teach you how to install Kodi on Apple TV.
Kodi usually comes with an incredibly simple installation method. However, this isn’t the case with iOS and tvOS products. Still, there’s nothing to be concerned about. If you continue reading, you will learn everything you need to know about how to install Kodi on Apple TV. This includes different installation methods as well as the basics of using Kodi. Let’s jump right in.
Disclaimer: We will be talking about software developed for Kodi – which is based on open-source code. However, the following software comes from unofficial third-parties. In addition, it is publicly available and free of charge. TechNadu doesn’t claim any responsibility for how our readers decide to utilize the following software. Please note that we don’t condone sharing pirated content and copyright infringement. TechNadu is not affiliated with the software mentioned in this article in no way. Make sure to carefully read the above-said disclaimer and ensure the proper use of the software.
Warning: Why you must NOT USE Kodi without VPN?Here are the reasons that you should consider looking at it without SKIPPING.
- Using ILLEGAL Kodi Addons are Dangerous without a VPN: Most of the Kodi users are installing the ILLEGAL Kodi addons on their system to access all the latest movies, TV shows, sports, music, and much more for FREE, than a legal Kodi addons where it has the least content in it. But do you know what? The video content on illegal addons are a scraped and copyrighted material. If you are accessing them on Kodi, then your activities will be monitored by your ISP by tracking your IP and gives all the information to the government or companies if they request for it. This will land you in trouble. To stay away from this, you will have to connect to a VPN where it hides your identity by rotating your IP address while streaming Kodi content. This is how you will be safe from the prying eyes.
- Bypass Geo-Restriction: As you probably know, some official addons like BBC iPlayer, NBC Sports, Hulu, IceFilms have geo-location restrictions. This also applies to other addons like Acestream which fetches the data from torrents. To unblock these restrictions, you will have to DEFINITELY use a VPN no matter what.
Limited Time Offer: For our TechNadu readers, there is a 49% OFF on ExpressVPN which includes 3 FREE Months in it.
Installing Kodi on Apple TV: Overview
This guide is intended to be the ultimate ‘How to Install Kodi on Apple TV’ guide. What this means is that we’ll tell you not only about installation methods but also about other things. Here are some of the things that we’ll discuss in this article:
- Should you jailbreak your Apple TV;
- Why you can’t find Kodi on Apple’s App Stores;
- Important prerequisites;
- How to install Kodi – using two reliable methods;
- What to do after you install Kodi on Apple TV.
Let jump to our first topic right away. We’ll introduce you to several new technical terms and hopefully build a sturdy foundation for what’s to come. This will allow you to understand this process a bit clearer.
Should You Jailbreak Your Apple TV?
In case you are a long-time user of Apple-made devices, you’ve probably heard about jailbreaking. This especially goes for you who like to experiment with software. So, what exactly is jailbreaking and should you consider doing that?
In simple terms, jailbreaking means allowing third-party applications to get installed on a specific device. As you know, Apple-made devices are quite restricted and they don’t allow third-party apps from being installed outside their respective App Stores (Macs aren’t included in this). In theory, this is a good thing. This means that Apple is testing every application before it gets published, blocking any malware or malicious code. On the other hand, this means if you want an application doesn’t come from the App Store – you can’t install it unless you jailbreak your device. On top of that, you will lose your warranty if you decide to do this. Apple has full rights to refuse to fix your device since you’ve done something that wasn’t allowed in the first place.
Our recommendation is not to jailbreak your phone, tablet, or any other Apple-made device. Even if there’s no way to use your favorite application, the consequences of breaking your warranty can be quite severe.
Can You Use Apple’s tvOS App Store?
As we previously said, Kodi isn’t available on the App Store. The good news is that there are different ways to install Kodi on Apple TV. In addition, you will get to use it without any restrictions – without breaking your warranty.
We will provide two installation methods. Both of these take advantage of a loophole that allows third-party apps to be installed on tvOS. In other words, we will act as a developer who wants to test their application.
Install Kodi on Apple TV: The Ultimate Guide
Continue reading to learn about different installation methods. We’ll cover users of different operating systems and we’ll include helpful screenshots as well.
Install Kodi via Cydia Impactor
First, we will take a look at a tool called Cydia Impactor. There is one important reason why we wanted this installation method to be the first in this article. That’s because it covers a wide range of operating systems including OS X (now called MacOS), Windows, and Linux. Furthermore, this is a very simple installation method – which is why believe you’ll be more than comfortable using it. In case it doesn’t work out for some reasons, there is an alternative.
Here’s what you need to have for this installation method to work:
- Apple TV (4th generation);
- Apple TV tvOS version 11 or 12;
- The latest version of Kodi;
- Cydia Impactor.
Let’s take a look at how to check out if you meet the above-said requirements. First, you need to check out if you have the latest generation Apple TV. Here is Apple’s support page that lets you identify different models easily.
Next, here’s how to update your Apple TV to the latest version of its operating system called tvOS:
- On Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > System > Software Updates.
- Now select ‘Update Software’.
- Your device will now check if there’s a new update available. If there is, make sure to click on the ‘Download and Install’ to begin.
- This process might take a while. However, it doesn’t require you to do anything. Sit back and wait for the process to be completed.
Finally, you also need to download the latest version of Kodi. Use this procedure:
- Go to the Download section on Kodi’s official website;
- Scroll down until you see Apple’s logo. Beneath, you’ll see ‘iOS’.
- A new pop-up window should appear. Click on the blue-colored button that says ‘DEB FILE (ARM64)‘.
- Wait for the file to be fully downloaded to your computer.
Before you install Kodi to Apple TV, we first need to convert Kodi’s DEB filo into IPA. This is because Cydia Impactor only works with IPA files. Here’s how it’s done:
- You need to make sure that you have an application that unzips files. For Mac, one of the options is Unarchiver; For Windows, this can be 7-Zip; Use one of these applications to unzip Kodi’s DEB file;
- Among unzipped files, find the file that is named ‘data.tar’. Once again, unzip this file.
- Now, you should have a folder named ‘data’. Open it and navigate to the Applications folder. Inside you’ll find another folder named ‘Kodi.app’;
- Don’t enter this folder! Instead, create a new folder next to the existing ‘Kodi.app’ folder. Name it ‘Payload’;
- Drag-and-drop the ‘Kodi.app’ folder into the Payload folder;
- Now we need to create a new ZIP file. On Windows, right-click on the Payload folder and choose ‘7-Zip > Add to Archive. If you’re using a Mac, here’s a handy guide on how to unzip and zip folders.
- Those who use 7-Zip will see a new dialog box. Here, it’s important that you choose ZIP as the archive format, as well as that you name your file ‘Kodi.ipa’. Mac users will automatically end up with a ZIP file. They only need to rename the file to ‘Kodi.ipa’ as the last step.
By now, you should have prepared the Kodi.ipa file. We’ll use it to install Kodi on Apple TV via Cydia Impactor. Continue reading.
- Connect your Apple TV to your computer and make sure it’s powered on. In case iTunes automatically opens, make sure to close it;
- Open Cydia Impactor. You’ll need to unzip it in case you haven’t done that already;
- As you’ll see, Cydia Impactor is a rather simple application. You need to drag-and-drop the Kodi.ipa file. You’ll also be asked to enter your Apple ID. Fill out the required fields and proceed.
- After a few minutes, Cydia Impactor will push the Kodi application to your Apple TV. Disconnect the device from your computer;
- Finally, connect your Apple TV to your TV and power it on. You should see Kodi installed.
Install Kodi via Xcode
There is also another way to install Kodi on Apple TV – and that is by using Apple’s Xcode. This tool is used by developers who build and test applications made for various devices.
Make sure to download the needed tools and have the right device ready:
- Apple TV (4th generation);
- Apple TV tvOS version 11 or 12;
- The latest version of Kodi;
- iOS App Signer.
To make sure you have the fourth-generation Apple TV, go to this support page. This is where you can see how different models look and what are their differences. Next, make sure your Apple is updated to tvOS version 11. Here’s how to do that:
- Using your Apple TV, go to Settings > System > Software Updates. Finally, pick ‘Update Software’;
- Wait a couple of seconds. If there’s a new update, you’ll be asked whether you’d like to install it. Pick ‘Download and Install’.
- This process might take a couple of minutes. Wait for the process to be completed.
You also need to the newest version of Kodi. Do the following:
- Go to the Download section found on Kodi’s website;
- Scroll down on the page until you see different versions of Kodi. Click on Apple’s logo with ‘iOS’ underneath.
- Now click on the blue button that says ‘DEB FILE (ARM64)’.
- Wait until the file is downloaded.
Finally, you also need two applications: Xcode and iOS App Signer. Both of these are free of charge.
- Xcode can found on the Mac App Store. Use this link to find and download this tool to your computer;
- iOS App Signer can be downloaded from its official website. Use the provided link to download the newest version.
Now you’re ready to go. Continue reading to learn how to install Kodi on Apple TV using Apple’s Xcode tool.
First, you’ll need to connect your Apple TV to your Mac. Make sure the device is powered on. In most cases, you’ll see iTunes launch automatically. Feel free to close that application and continue:
- Launch Xcode. In the left-placed sidebar click on tvOS > Application. Choose ‘Single View Application’ on the right, and proceed;
- Provide a name for the app. You can go with ‘Kodi’. Create a unique identifier as well that uses the project’s name;
- Once Xcode loads, you might see a warning about not having a provisioning file. Click on the button that says ‘Fix Issue’;
- You will see that you need to enter your Apple ID to fix this issue. You can go with your standard Apple ID. It’s even better if you have a Developer ID. Both of these types of accounts should work just fine; Process and then select your development team. Xcode should now fix any errors and you will be returned to the main view.
- Now you need to open the iOS App Signer. This is a simple application that comes with several fields that you need to fill out. In the first one, named Input File, navigate to your Kodi DEB file. You don’t have to worry about fields like Signing Certificate of Provisioning Profile – use default values. At the bottom, you can find the App Display Name field. Type in ‘Kodi’ and click on ‘Start’;
- After some time, the iOS App Signer will unpack the data and save a new file. You’ll be notified once that process is completed.
- Go back to Xcode. From the top-placed menu bar, go to Window > Devices.
- Find your Apple TV in the sidebar (which should be connected to your Mac and powered on). On the right-hand side, click on the ‘+’ button. Now find the newly created Kodi file.
- Xcode will do the rest. Once the process is completed, you can safely disconnect your Apple TV. Connect it to your TV, power it one, and you should see the application installed.
How to Install Kodi on Apple TV 4K
Many of you are using the latest Apple TV generation, capable of playing 4K content. If that’s the case, you’re in luck because you’ll soon get Dolby Atmos and much more. To learn more about this device, read our review of Apple TV 4K.
When it comes to installing Kodi on Apple TV 4K, there is one big obstacle. Since USB-C has been dropped, you need to connect this device to Xcode wirelessly. Don’t worry, the process is fairly simple. We’ll show you how to connect your Apple TV 4K to Xcode, and then you can use the guide found above to deploy Kodi via Xcode.
- On your Apple TV 4K, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote App and Devices. Keep your device at this screen;
- On your Mac, open Xcode and go to Windows > Devices and Simulators using the menu bar;
- A new window will open. In case your Mac and your Apple TV 4K are close, you will see a button to pair your Mac with your media streaming device. The button will say ‘Pair With (Your Name) Apple TV. Click on the button;
- A verification code will appear on Apple TV display, so you need to type that into Xcode to complete the process.
- That’s it! Your Xocde and your Apple TV 4K are now paired. You can keep on reading our guide found above on how to deploy Kodi.
The both of the above-mentioned installation methods require authentication. This means that you’ll need to provide your Apple ID before you send the Kodi app to your device. You can use your own, personal Apple ID or you can use a Developer ID. The main difference between these is that Developer IDs are premium-priced.
If you use a regular Apple ID, there is a chance Kodi might stop working after a while. For some users, this happens after seven days. For others, it may take up to one month. When that happens, you need to re-install the application using the same method you used when installing Kodi previously. If you wish to save your settings, don’t delete Kodi on your Apple TV. Instead, simply re-install it.
Developer IDs are paid annually. This means that Kodi will work for a whole year before needed to be reinstalled.
Install Kodi on Apple TV: What’s Next?
Now that you’ve installed Kodi, let’s see what you can do with it. Our recommendation is to try out different add-ons, skins, and builds.
Skins: If you don’t like Kodi’s default skin, you can easily change it. Just like other customization, they come free-of-charge. We have previously written about the best skins for Kodi, where you can find some great suggestions.
Builds: We shouldn’t forget to mention customized builds for Kodi. This is a good way to download a custom skin in addition to a group of useful addons – all at once. Make sure to check our articles on the best builds for Kodi.
We hope that you managed to install Kodi on Apple TV. We have tried to provide two of the most popular methods of installation that cover different platforms. Even though they are not as simple as we hoped them to be, this is the only way to successfully install Kodi on Apple TV.