Many of us use subtitles when watching movies and TV shows. After all, this is a great way to practice English – no matter if you use English subtitles or not. As you can imagine, Kodi provides a convenient way to include subtitles for different types of video. The best thing here is that Kodi uses numerous popular online services, eliminating any chances of not finding the correct title.
Here are the 3 easy steps to add subtitles to Kodi in 2019.
- Step 1: Set Up Subtitles in Kodi
- Step 2: Create an OpenSubtitles Account
- Step 3: Activate Subtitles in Kodi
First, let’s take a look at how to set up subtitles via Kodi settings.
- Open Kodi and click on the gear icon in the top-left corner. This will take you to Settings. Then, click on ‘Player’;
- Then, in the left-placed sidebar, make sure to pick ‘Language’;
- On the right side of the screen, you will see a rather long of options. We are going to use those located in the ‘Download Services’ section;
- First, click on the option that says ‘Languages to download subtitles for’ and pick your preferred language. For many of us, this is going to be ‘English’;
- Next, click on ‘Default TV show service’ and a new pop-up should appear;
- Click on ‘Get More…’ and you will see a list of available subtitle services;
- For many of you, OpenSubtitles.org is going to be the right choice. So, go ahead and click on this service;
- Now click on ‘Default movie service’ and you will see the previously picked subtitle service. There’s no need to use a different service, so you can click on ‘OpenSubtitles.org’ once again.
That’s it! You’ve instructed Kodi to use a specific subtitle service every time you decide to include subtitles to your videos. However, this isn’t where this process ends. To add subtitles to Kodi, you need to enable OpenSubtitles.org by registering for a new account.
Before you can use this service on Kodi, you need to register for a new account. Then, you will use those credentials to activate OpenSubtitles on Kodi.
- Go to opensubtitles.org using a Web browser;
- At the top of the page, click on ‘Register’. You will find this link on the right side of the website’s logo;
- Next, fill out the required information and click on ‘Register’;
- Wait a few moments until you receive a confirmation email. This is where you’ll find a link that you need to use to activate your new account;
- That’s it! You can try logging in to OpenSubtitles. If you manage to log in, you’ve become a registered user.
Next, we’ll access the addon of OpenSubtitles on your Kodi and enter your credentials. The good news is that OpenSubtitles is already installed on your Kodi. Keep on reading.
- Open Kodi and click on ‘Add-ons’ in the main menu;
- Now move your cursor over (or select) ‘My Add-ons’ from the left-placed menu;
- Click on the ‘Subtitles’ button;
- You should see ‘OpenSubtitles.org’ as the only option on the list. Click on this addon’s name;
- Now click on ‘Configure’;
- There are two fields you need to configure: Username and Password. Click on each of these and fill in the required information.
- Once done, click ‘OK’ to dismiss the pop-up.
You have successfully added subtitles to Kodi. All there’s left now is to teach you how to activate subtitles when watching videos.
- Open a video you’d like to watch. This can be a locally stored movie (or TV show) or movie that you want to stream;
- Once the video starts playing click on the ‘Subtitles’ button. You can find it in the bottom-right corner;
- Now click on ‘Download’ and you’ll see a new pop-up;
- OpenSubtitles.org will try to automatically scan its library and present a list of available subtitles. You need to click on any of the offered ones and the subtitle will automatically load;
- Alternatively, you can search for subtitles manually. Click on ‘Manual Search String’;
- Now enter the movie’s name and hit ‘OK’;
- You will return to the pop-up with a list of available subtitles. Click on any of these and they will download automatically.
- That’s it! You’ve added subtitles successfuly.
Looking to learn more about Kodi? If that’s the case, we have a series of guides that you’ll find helpful. Take a look below.
- How to Enable Unknown Sources on Kodi
- Get the Best Kodi Addons
- Get the Best Kodi Builds
- Get the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
We hope you have managed to add subtitles to Kodi. This isn’t the easiest process out there, but we tried to explain it in an easy-to-understand manner. As always, you can post a comment if you’re facing some issue. We’ll do our best to come up with a viable solution.
If you think other Kodi users might benefit from reading this article, we’d appreciate if you could share it across social networks. And don’t forget to follow TechNadu on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks!