Mexico is a partly free country in terms of online censorship. Mexican citizens face some Internet freedom issues, such as the government using spyware to track oppositional voices. Moreover, there has been violence against online journalists. Plus, if you live in Mexico and travel abroad, you can’t access local content like Canal 5, Azteca Uno, or Netflix Mexico.
Luckily, there is a solution for all this. The trick is to use a VPN for Mexico. With a VPN, you can access local and global content regardless of geo-restrictions, avoid cybersecurity issues, and bypass online censorship. This is possible because a VPN allows you to change your virtual location.
In this article, we’ll recommend the best VPN for Mexico and teach you how to get a Mexican IP address. You’ll also learn why you need a VPN and get answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
Best Mexico VPNs - Our Shortlist
- ExpressVPN – Our #1-Rated VPN for Mexico
- NordVPN – Mexican VPN with Next-Level Security
- CyberGhost VPN – Best VPN for Mexico with Specialized Servers
- Private Internet Access – Mexico VPN with the Largest Server Fleet
- Surfshark – Best VPN in Mexico for Unlimited Connected Devices
How to Get a Mexican IP Address
To get a Mexican IP address, you first need to find a trustworthy VPN provider with servers in Mexico. Here’s a short step-by-step guide for the rest:
- Subscribe to a VPN that works in Mexico (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on the device you’ll use.
- Open the VPN app and enter your login credentials.
- Select a Mexican VPN server from the list and connect to it.
- Now you can surf the Internet with a Mexico IP address!
When you change your IP address to Mexico, you’ll be able to access local Mexican content. This new Mexico IP will also help avoid any government surveillance that the country imposes.
The Best VPNs for Mexico in 2023
To find the best VPN for Mexico, you can explore our article on the VPN providers with the most servers to see the criteria you should follow. Most importantly, make sure the VPN has a large overall server network with servers in Mexico so that you can unblock services inside and outside the country, such as Canal 5, Azteca Uno, and Netflix Mexico.
Additionally, the Mexican VPN must offer obfuscation that will hide your VPN usage and a kill switch that will cut your connection if the VPN fails. Search for advanced security features such as military-grade encryption, VPN protocols, and a no-logs policy. Furthermore, your VPN must be fast and provide reliable performance.
The VPN you choose must allow numerous simultaneous connections and be compatible with various devices, such as PCs, laptops, smartphones, tablets, and gaming consoles. Lastly, always check out its customer support and see whether it has a money-back guarantee.
|Try Risk-Free|| |
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Mexico because it has an extensive server network of 3,000+ servers in 94 countries. Thanks to its Mexican servers, it unblocks many websites in and out of the country, such as Azteca Uno, Netflix Mexico, and Canal 5.
With a focus on providing exceptional security, ExpressVPN has automatic obfuscation on many servers, a kill switch, robust VPN protocols (Lightway, OpenVPN, and IKEv2), an independently audited no-logs policy, and AES-256 encryption.
ExpressVPN has superb overall performance and lightning-fast speeds. Also, you can connect 5 devices simultaneously. The best part is that this amazing VPN supports various devices, such as your PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet, or gaming console.
Last but not least, ExpressVPN comes with reliable customer support that is always available and a 30-day money-back guarantee that gives you a full refund if you’re unsatisfied with the VPN’s services.
- Servers in Mexico
- Exceptional security features
- Always-available customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not all servers are obfuscated
NordVPN is close behind ExpressVPN as the second-best Mexican VPN. It offers a vast server fleet of over 5,700 servers in 60 countries, enabling you to get around different geo-restrictions. With 30 servers in Mexico, you can unblock popular global content and local platforms like Netflix Mexico, Canal 5, and Azteca Uno.
One of the most amazing things about NordVPN is that it has some of the best security features. It utilizes obfuscated servers, a kill switch that cuts your Internet in case of a VPN failure, an audited no-logs policy, AES-256 encryption, and a few VPN protocols, such as NordLynx, OpenVPN, and IKEv2.
Compared to ExpressVPN, it’s a bit slower, but it still has medium-fast speed rates and overall reliable performance. Furthermore, you’ll be allowed 6 simultaneous connections that you can enable on any device because the provider supports many different ones, including smartphones, laptops, PCs, tablets, and gaming devices.
Lastly, NordVPN proves its reputation with its 24/7 customer support and the generous 30-day money-back guarantee. In other words, you can either solve your issue by contacting its expert team or get a refund and cancel your VPN plan.
- 30 Mexican servers
- Blazing-fast speeds
- Unique NordLynx protocol
- 30-day refund policy
- Slower than ExpressVPN
CyberGhost VPN takes third place on our list thanks to its extensive server network of 9,300+ servers in 91 countries. Due to this, you can unblock websites outside the country and local content like Azteca Uno, Netflix Mexico, and Canal 5. To achieve this, you just need to connect to one of the 50 servers in Mexico.
One drawback is that CyberGhost lacks obfuscation. But to compensate for this, it employs NoSpy servers that help hide your online activities. In addition, you will also get a kill switch, military-grade encryption, a no-logs policy, and robust VPN protocols (OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard).
With CyberGhost, you won’t enjoy the fastest speeds, but you will still get decent overall performance. Furthermore, CyberGhost is compatible with many devices, such as mobile phones, PCs, laptops, tablets, and gaming consoles. In total, it allows you to make 7 simultaneous connections.
Last but not least, this VPN for Mexico also has 24/7 customer support and a 14-day money-back guarantee for its monthly plan. What’s better, if you opt for an extended-length plan, you’ll benefit from a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- 50 servers in Mexico
- Second-largest server range
- Compatible with tons of devices
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t have obfuscation
Private Internet Access VPN (PIA) ensures its place on our list because it comes with the biggest server fleet on the market. It has thousands of servers in 84 countries, including 127 Mexican servers. Therefore, you will be able to bypass geo-restrictions and access popular worldwide sites and local content from Canal 5, Netflix Mexico, Azteca Uno.
PIA provides decent speeds and performance, but it is not the fastest VPN provider. Despite that, it prioritizes your security and includes obfuscated servers, AES-256 encryption, a court-proven no-logs policy, VPN protocols (such as OpenVPN and WireGuard), and a kill switch that will cut your Internet connection if the VPN fails.
One of PIA’s best perks is its unlimited simultaneous connections. Plus, PIA supports numerous devices like smartphones, laptops, PCs, gaming devices, smart TVs, and routers. That means you can utilize this VPN for Mexico as much as you want on pretty much all devices.
Last but not least, PIA is also known for its knowledgeable customer support and 30-day money-back guarantee. In other words, its expert team will help you surpass any issue that arises, while the money-back guarantees that you will get a full refund if you don’t find its services satisfying.
- 127 Mexican servers available
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Reliable customer support
- 30-day money-back policy
- Slowest VPN on the list
Surfshark has a fleet with more than 3,200+ servers across 100 countries, including Mexico. It allows you to unblock global services and local Mexican content like Canal 5, Netflix Mexico, and Azteca Uno. Additionally, Surfshark comes with one of the fastest speed ratings in the industry, along with top-notch, consistent performance.
On top of that, you’ll remain safe because of its audited no-logs policy, a dedicated kill switch, military-grade AES-256 encryption, and VPN protocols such as WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2. It also implements obfuscation that hides your VPN usage.
Same as PIA, Surfshark allows you to establish unlimited simultaneous connections and works with all devices you may use, such as laptops, PCs, mobile phones, smart TVs, and gaming consoles. So, you can utilize this provider for various online activities.
To wrap it up, this fantastic VPN for Mexico provides 24/7 customer support, along with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Therefore, you’ll get professional assistance and a possibility to get a refund if you’re unsatisfied.
- Plenty of Mexican servers
- Audited no-logs policy
- Unlimited simultaneous connections allowed
- 30-day refund period
- Smaller fleet than competitors
Why Do You Need a VPN in Mexico?
You need a VPN in Mexico to get around geo-restrictions and avoid online censorship. There are also many other reasons to use a VPN, so let’s explore them:
- Hide Your Online Activity – ISPs often share our data with the government in countries with rigid online censorship. Even hackers engage in data monitoring to cause data breaches. Luckily, VPN encryption makes your activities undetectable.
- Mask Your IP Address – Hiding your IP address is crucial if you’re trying to access geo-restricted content and avoid surveillance. A VPN will allow you to change your location and unblock any service.
- Bypass Bandwidth Throttling – ISPs cause bandwidth throttling to decrease excessive online activity. However, a Mexican VPN will prevent this by hiding your online activities and data usage.
- Avoid Price Discrimination – Many services, such as Netflix, have different prices in different countries. A VPN will allow you to get a new virtual location and benefit from more affordable prices.
- Get Around Local Censorship – Mexico is relatively free, but journalists have faced high levels of violence, intimidation, and harassment. Therefore, it’s best to use a VPN for Mexico to hide your identity if you are outspoken online.
- Access Geo-Restricted Content – If you live in Mexico and want to access geo-restricted international websites like Hulu, you need a VPN.
- Safely Use Public Wi-Fi – Public Wi-Fi networks attract hackers as they are weakly secured. A VPN with encryption will help you prevent data leaks and security breaches.
- Enjoy Smoother Gaming – Connecting to a VPN server near any game server you’re playing on will reduce lagging. Plus, many popular games have data centers near Mexico, so connecting to a Mexico VPN server will come in handy.
- Shop Risk-Free Online – Online shopping is often risky as you need to provide your identification and payment details. But using a VPN will employ an additional security layer to prevent your financial information from being compromised.
- Access Local Content Abroad – If you want to watch local content like Azteca Uno, Netflix Mexico, or Canal 5, you need a VPN with a dedicated server in Mexico.
- Securely Download Torrents – Torrenting in Mexico is not clearly regulated, so you should use a VPN and change your location to somewhere with properly formulated laws. Then you’ll be able to torrent files safely and prevent data exposure.
Can You Use a Free Mexico VPN?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for Mexico. However, we don’t recommend it as it often comes with potential issues that worsen your online security. First and foremost, it has limited server networks that aren’t effective in unblocking various sites.
Furthermore, free Mexican VPN providers lack advanced security features. Thus, you may face data leaks or even experience your data being sold to third parties. In addition, it will often have limited bandwidth, significantly decreasing your potential experience.
Therefore, we recommend employing a paid premium VPN with an extensive server network, breakneck speeds, and strong unblocking capabilities. On top of that, you’ll remain safe due to advanced security features. For help choosing one, you can peruse our list of the best VPN providers.
While Mexico is a relatively free country in terms of online censorship, it still has some issues like employing spyware to track oppositional voices and the harassment of online journalists. Plus, there are geo-restrictions on local and foreign content that can be frustrating to deal with. That’s why you need a Mexico VPN.
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN for Mexico because it will help you overcome all the aforementioned restrictions. Thanks to its robust server network, blazing-fast speeds, and industry-leading security features, you’ll get an unforgettable VPN experience from Mexico or anywhere else in the world.
Which VPN Works Best in Mexico?
ExpressVPN works best in Mexico. Thanks to its vast server network of 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, including Mexico, you can unblock any Mexican content, as well as access global sites—all while keeping your activities private.
How Do You Get a Mexican VPN?
You can get a Mexican VPN by finding a reputable provider, downloading and installing it on your preferred device, and connecting to a Mexican server.
Do You Need a VPN When Traveling to Mexico?
Yes, you need a VPN when traveling to Mexico because some global sites, such as Hulu, are geo-restricted. Besides that, the VPN will encrypt your traffic, providing better security so you don’t have to worry about anything you do or say online.
Does ExpressVPN Work in Mexico?
Yes, ExpressVPN works in Mexico. With its servers in one Mexican location, you will get fantastic speeds, stable performance, and effective unblocking capabilities.
Does NordVPN Work in Mexico?
Yes, NordVPN works in Mexico. Thanks to its 30 Mexican servers, NordVPN provides solid speeds and can unblock any local Mexican content, along with any worldwide services.
Is It Legal to Use a VPN in Mexico?
Yes, it is legal to use a VPN in Mexico. However, if you’re using the VPN for illegal activities and get caught, you’ll face charges.
That’s all for our guide on choosing the best VPN for Mexico. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Thank you for reading!