Netflix is a worldwide streaming service that offers a plethora of movies and TV shows. As such, it offers content unique to different countries. For example, if you access Netflix in the USA, you can watch Grey's Anatomy. But if you are in Europe, you won't have access to that show. However, there is a way for you to access any show or movie you’d like to watch, no matter where you are in the world. The trick is to use a Netflix VPN.
More precisely, you'll be able to bypass the geo-restrictions the platform imposes so you can watch anything you want. A Netflix VPN allows you to mask your location by connecting to a VPN server in the country that offers your desired content. In other words, if you're in Europe and want to watch Grey's Anatomy, you’d connect to a US-based VPN server.
VPNs work well for streaming as long as you choose one of the best VPN providers that allow you to stream in up to 4K without buffering. In addition to supporting your media consumption, the VPN will also keep you safe online and protect your personal data from third parties.
In this article, we break down the top 6 best VPNs for Netflix. You'll also learn how to use Netflix with a VPN thanks to our helpful step-by-step guide, how to troubleshoot when your VPN isn't working, and more.
So, let's jump right in!
How to Use Netflix with VPN
To use Netflix with a VPN, you must subscribe to a suitable VPN and connect to a server in the country that hosts the content you want to watch. Here's what you need to do:
- Subscribe to a VPN that works with Netflix (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on the devices you will use for Netflix.
- Launch the VPN app and sign in to your account.
- Choose a VPN server in the country whose Netflix library you want to access.
- Now, you can open Netflix and enjoy your favorite shows and movies.
Best Netflix VPN
The best VPN for Netflix must be compatible with different devices, including PCs, mobile phones, and tablets. It also needs to have a wide server network to allow you to unblock content from different countries. Moreover, the provider needs to have fast servers with no throttling. This will allow you to stream your favorite TV shows and movies without buffering or other disruptions. The best streaming VPN must also have strong content-unblocking capabilities to unblock Netflix and its content. Lastly, it needs to have strong encryption so that it can hide your real location from Netflix without you seeing any error messages.
Based on the criteria above, these are the 6 best VPNs that work with Netflix:
- ExpressVPN - Our #1-Rated Netflix VPN
- NordVPN - Best Netflix VPN for High-End Privacy and Effortless Streaming
- CyberGhost VPN - Best All-In-One VPN for Netflix
- Surfshark VPN - Best VPN for First-Time Users
- Private Internet Access (PIA) - Best for Advanced VPN Users
- IPVanish - Best Affordable VPN for Netflix
|Visit Site|| |
Supported Devices: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android (including Android TV), Chrome OS, iOS, Fire TV and Kindle Fire, Web browser extensions (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari), gaming consoles (via ExpressVPN's 'MediaStreamer' feature), and compatible routers.
VPN Protocols: ExpressVPN offers OpenVPN across all of its apps, which unblocks Netflix with ease while also bringing high-end privacy protection. This VPN also provides its own protocol called Lightway (available across all supported devices), which comes with impressive overall speeds. Other protocols are on offer as well, including L2TP/IPsec and PPTP.
Simultaneous Connections: This Netflix VPN supports up to 5 simultaneous connections. That means you can install the VPN on as many devices as you want, but you can connect to 5 servers at the same time.
Features: ExpressVPN brings a kill switch on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and routers. In addition, split tunneling is on offer on Windows, macOS, Android, and routers. Using this feature, you can tunnel Netflix-related traffic while keeping everything else as fast as possible. Moreover, you'll get to test servers before connecting, as well as check the quality of your VPN connection.
Server Network: This is the best VPN for watching Netflix because it offers more than 3,000 servers spread across the entire world. You won't find specialized servers here, though. That's because all of ExpressVPN's servers are optimized for any type of online activity - including media streaming and even torrenting.
Speed: ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN on the market. As you can see from the table below, even highly remote locations manage to bring fast speeds. However, just like with any VPN, some throttling is present - so it's important to have a fast connection, to begin with.
|Country||Server Name (Location)||Download Speed|
|Baseline (Europe)||Europe||572.98 Mbps|
|United States||New Jersey||517.91 Mbps|
|United Kingdom||Docklands||523.20 Mbps|
|India||(via the UK)||517.69 Mbps|
Support for Other Streaming Platforms: There's a reason why ExpressVPN is the best VPN for media streaming. Based on our tests, it unblocks Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, as well as a wide range of other platforms.
Customer Support: Aside from counting on ExpressVPN's live chat, you can submit a support ticket, check the VPN's knowledge base, and read plenty of useful resources in the support section of the VPN's site. Therefore, in case of any troubles, we're sure you'll manage to "get back on track" in no time.
- Suitable even for complete beginners.
- Polished UI across.
- Unblocks over 10+ Netflix libraries.
- Works amazingly well with Netflix US.
- Unblocks other streaming services.
- 30-day money-back guarantees.
- Limited customization.
Supported Devices: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android (including Android TV), iOS, Fire OS, Chrome OS, Web browser extensions (Firefox, Chrome), and compatible routers.
VPN Protocols: NordVPN relies on OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPSec on all of its supported platforms. The VPN also introduced NordLynx in 2020 - its own spin on the WireGuard protocol. Using this VPN protocol, you can expect extra-fast performance, which is something that has become one of NordVPN's trademarks.
Simultaneous Connections: Using a single subscription, NordVPN allows you to connect to servers on up to 6 devices at the same time. In our opinion, that's quite generous - especially considering the VPN's affordable price.
Features: NordVPN gives you complete control over your Internet connection. You'll get to pick any of the standard or specialty servers (like Onion-over-VPN and Double-VPN servers), block ads and malware, and more. There's also a kill switch (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS) and split-tunneling (Windows, Android). All of that comes presented through a polished interface, suitable for a wide range of users.
Server Network: At the moment, this Netflix VPN offers more than 5,000 servers. Many of those are 'standard' servers, but there's also a massive range of specialty options. For example, you'll find P2P servers, obfuscated servers, those offering a dedicated IP, as well as a number of options that allow you to link two servers at once. Sadly, there are no specialized servers for streaming - but that's because NordVPN's standard servers will do the job just fine.
Speed: NordVPN has done plenty to improve its performance lately, especially noticeable once you start using its NordLynx protocol. Even when using OpenVPN (as we did - check out the results below), media streaming should be an easy possibility if you have a relatively fast Web connection. Still, we recommend doing some fine-tuning to get the best possible results.
|Country||Server Name (Location)||Download Speed|
|Baseline (Europe)||Europe||489.70 Mbps|
|United States||New York||340.89 Mbps|
|United Kingdom||N/A||318.11 Mbps|
Support for Other Streaming Platforms: Aside from unblocking Netflix (more than 10 regional versions, to be more precise), you can use NordVPN to watch Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, and DAZN. So, it doesn't have the biggest list of streaming services but should meet the needs of the majority of its users.
Customer Support: When chatting live, you'll first meet NordVPN's chatbot. However, a real person will be there as well. In addition to that, a huge number of nicely written articles await. You can use those to check setup guides, tutorials, tips and tricks, and more. And, of course, submitting an official support ticket is possible as well.
Useful Resources: Our review of NordVPN.
- Incredibly polished interface.
- Suitable for more advanced users.
- High-end encryption.
- Unblocks 10+ versions of Netflix.
- Helpful customer support.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- You'll need to test servers manually.
- Some fine-tuning is needed.
Supported Devices: Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android (including Android TV), Fire OS, Web browser extensions (Chrome, Firefox), and compatible routers.
VPN Protocols: This is one of the first VPNs to have introduced WireGuard. You can expect effortless unblocking via that protocol, also known for its smooth and fast performance. Then, there's OpenVPN (for Windows, macOS, and Android) and IKEv2, so you'll have plenty of options at your disposal.
Simultaneous Connections: CyberGhost VPN supports up to 7 devices at the same time. There's also a handy overview of your currently active devices in the VPN app's settings (on all devices), so you can always see the limit of your subscription.
Features: When it comes to more advanced features, CyberGhost VPN comes with a kill switch, available across all supported platforms. When it comes to split tunneling, that feature is available on Android only. So, more advanced users might be disappointed a bit, but the lack of split tunneling on desktop platforms isn't an obstacle for streaming Netflix.
Server Network: Looking for a Netflix VPN with a vast network of servers? If that's so, know that CyberGhost offers more than 9,000 servers in 90 countries. Unblocking various Netflix versions is done with ease since many of these servers are optimized for media streaming (which you can access from within the app's interface). You can use those servers to access more than 10 different versions of Netflix libraries.
Speed: CyberGhost VPN performs admirably - especially when you connect to its streaming-ready servers. We've seen great numbers across the board, connecting to various parts of the world (please note that we've based in Europe). With that said, streaming Netflix should not be a problem for this VPN, even if you don't have the fastest Web connection out there.
|Country||Server Name (Location)||Download Speed|
|Baseline (Europe)||Europe||488.37 Mbps|
|United States||New York||433.66 Mbps|
|United Kingdom||Manchester||303.08 Mbps|
Support for Other Streaming Platforms: CyberGhost VPN is one of the most capable VPNs optimized for streaming. You can access Prime Video, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Comedy Central, Spotify, ESPN, and more. Dozens of regional streaming services are on offer as well, especially those found across Europe (like ZDF, Rai Play, Ruutu, Digi Online, RTL, TV4Play, MTV Finland, ITV, Channel 4, and plenty more).
Customer Support: If you're looking to resolve any problem as quickly as possible, you can turn to CyberGhost's live chat. Aside from that, there are all kinds of guides and tutorials, and you can contact the VPN's team by submitting a ticket or email. All in all, incredibly responsive and always helpful.
Useful Resources: Our review of CyberGhost.
- Supports any device out there.
- Army of streaming-ready servers.
- Unblocks 10+ versions of Netflix.
- Unblocks other streaming services.
- Responsive customer support (24/7).
- 45-day money-back policy.
- Some fine-tuning is required.
- Not the fastest speeds out there.
Supported Devices: Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android (Android TV included), Fire TV, Chrome OS, Web browser extensions (Chrome, Firefox, Edge), and compatible routers.
VPN Protocols: Primarily, Surfshark is based on OpenVPN - available on Windows, Android, iOS, FireOS, and Linux. However, there's also IKEv2, available on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and FireOS. And on top of that, this VPN now features WireGuard as well, available across all of its supported platforms.
Simultaneous Connections: This might sound too good to be true - but Surfshark imposes no limitations on simultaneous connections. That means you can use it on as many devices as you want without having to worry about any restrictions.
Features: Surfshark works with over 15 Netflix libraries around the world - everything from the USA, India, the UK, and Canada, up to Japan and South Korea. It also has unique features such as 'CleanWeb,' which prevents tracking. If you're a more advanced user, know that a kill switch awaits (across all of the supported platforms) and split tunneling (Windows, Android).
Server Network: This VPN has been expanding its server network in a big way. Today, it offers more than 3,200 servers across 100 countries. Each of those can be used for media streaming, they come with their own private DNS, and they're P2P-friendly as well.
Speed: Once again, you can see the reason why Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for Netflix. Even when connected to highly remote servers (like in Australia, in our case), we were able to stream Netflix in even up to 4K resolution. Your Web connection speeds will go down up to a certain point, so it always helps to have a fast one to begin with.
|Country||Server Name (Location)||Download Speed|
|Baseline (Europe)||Europe||488.20 Mbps|
|United States||New York||449.24 Mbps|
|United Kingdom||London||428.52 Mbps|
Support for Other Streaming Platforms: Based on our tests, Surfshark unblocks Hulu, Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+. You can also use it across the Web to unblock other types of streaming platforms, including regional ones.
Customer Support: When seeking help, your first destination should be the VPN's live chat (available on its website). Then, you can submit a support ticket, check articles, tutorials, and frequently asked questions. All in all, you'll have plenty of resources at your disposal.
Useful Resources: Our review of Surfshark.
- Fully-automated VPN apps.
- Allows fine-tuning.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Unblocks 15+ Netflix libraries.
- Unblocks a range of streaming services.
- Reliable and fluid performance.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- Can take a while to connect.
Supported Devices: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android (including Android TV), Fire OS, iOS, Web browser extensions (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), and compatible routers.
VPN Protocols: PIA is one of the most secure VPNs out there. It's based on the OpenVPN protocol. However, it has recently introduced WireGuard to its apps as well. No matter which of those protocols you pick, streaming Netflix should be an easy task for this VPN.
Simultaneous Connections: Private Internet Access allows you to connect up to 10 devices at once. If you've taken a look at our other recommendations for the best Netflix VPNs, you know that PIA's offer sounds pretty generous.
Features: Unlike other VPNs, Private Internet Access allows you to fine-tune your connection in-depth. You can choose from two types of kill switches, there's split tunneling on board and ad-blocking, and you can even automate this VPN. All in all, a dream come true for more advanced users who want to be in control over everything.
Server Network: Right now, this is the VPN with the highest number of servers - as it offers more than 35,000 units. These are both VPN and proxy servers, though. However, they're also bare-metal, which means that PIA actually owns them. Still, when it comes to Netflix, know that PIA works best with the US version of the streaming service. Unblocking other versions is possible, but not all the time.
Speed: When it comes to servers that aren't overly remote, PIA should provide you with fast performance. We're based in Europe, and we've experienced problems with servers in India. However, while using servers in the USA and Canada, as well as those in Europe, we managed to get consistently fast speeds.
|Country||Server Name (Location)||Download Speed|
|Baseline (Europe)||Europe||584.34 Mbps|
|United States||New York||528.23 Mbps|
|United Kingdom||Manchester||529.94 Mbps|
Support for Other Streaming Platforms: Private Internet Access is dedicated to protecting your digital privacy. Therefore, media streaming isn't its primary field of expertise. However, it unblocks Netflix US just fine and other libraries of this platform, related to Canada and the United Kingdom.
Customer Support: Until recently, perhaps the only downside to using PIA was the lack of live chat on its website. However, that has been corrected. Aside from chatting live with this VPN's customer support agents, you can submit tickets, dive into guides, check the latest news, and more.
Useful Resources: Our review of Private Internet Access.
- Wide platform compatibility.
- Very easy to set up and start using.
- Very in-depth fine-tuning.
- Works great with Netflix US.
- A huge network of VPN servers.
- 24/7-available customer support.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- Made for online protection, primarily.
- Long-range connections can be slow.
Supported Devices: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android (including Android TV), iOS, Fire OS, Chrome OS, and compatible routers.
VPN Protocols: This VPN offers a wide range of protocols, with OpenVPN being the most secure one (and often used to unblock Netflix). Aside from that, you can use WireGuard, IKEv2, L2TP, and IPSec on pretty much all of the supported devices. There's also PPTP for Windows, which is the least secure option and should be avoided.
Simultaneous Connections: IPVanish is one of the latest VPNs to bring unmetered connections. This means that there's no limit on how many devices you can use, which certainly adds plenty of value to its price.
Features: This is one of the rare VPNs to bring a kill switch on Fire OS devices (available on Windows and macOS as well). In addition to that, you can scramble your OpenVPN traffic so that it becomes invisible - even to your Internet provider. Split-tunneling is also on offer, available on Android and Fire OS.
Server Network: IPVanish offers over 2,000 servers, spread across 75+ locations. As you'd expect, there's a big emphasis on servers in the USA. There are no specialized options here, as all of IPVanish's servers are all-in-one units.
Speed: IPVanish isn't the fastest VPN on the market. As a general rule, connecting to remote servers will slow you down. That said, we recommend IPVanish to those who already have a fast Web connection.
|Country||Server Name (Location)||Download Speed|
|Baseline (Europe)||Europe||488.96 Mbps|
|United States||New York||60.49 Mbps|
|United Kingdom||London||302.51 Mbps|
Support for Other Streaming Platforms: Unblocking Netflix US via IPVanish is an easy possibility. Even though you might be able to access other platforms, this is primarily a VPN made for securing your privacy. Therefore, a good option if you want the best possible privacy protection, along with streaming the US version of Netflix.
Customer Support: Aside from using a dedicated support section on its website, IPVanish also offers live chat, telephone numbers, and email support. There are all kinds of nicely written guides, making us sure that you'll learn the ropes in no time.
Useful Resources: Our review of IPVanish.
- Strong and reliable encryption.
- Suitable for all types of users.
- Works reliably with Netflix US.
- Nearby servers are usually quite fast.
- Reliable customer support.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- Relatively small server network.
- Remote servers can be slow.
- Requires some fine-tuning.
Why Do I Need a VPN for Netflix?
You need a VPN for Netflix because the shows and movies you can watch are limited to the country you're located in. A VPN allows you to “change” your location and watch content from other countries.
Other reasons why you need a VPN that works with Netflix may include the following:
- Protect your privacy - Even if you use your home Wi-Fi, you're vulnerable to cyberattacks. You need a VPN with strong encryption and privacy measures to protect yourself and your data. The VPN will encrypt your data and prevent hackers from accessing information like your name, location, credit card info, passwords, email, etc.
- Watch Netflix safely on public Wi-Fi - Public Wi-Fi networks are not secure and can open the door to data theft and all kinds of cyberattacks. However, with a suitable Netflix VPN, not only will you be able to watch content from different countries, but you'll also be able to do so safely without exposing yourself to malicious attacks, viruses, or malware.
- Avoid bandwidth throttling - Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can slow down your Internet connection if it sees you're using an increasing amount of data. Streaming shows and movies will use a large amount of data, so there’s a chance your ISP may ruin your streaming experience. Fortunately, you can avoid that with a VPN for Netflix because your online activity will be hidden from your ISP.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Netflix?
To find and pick the best possible Netflix VPN, you need to filter VPNs based on your needs and priorities. We recommend going through the following steps.
- Think of the platforms you'll use to stream Netflix. Do you plan to access the streaming service on your laptop, smartphone, and/or tablet? Or maybe you have a dedicated streaming device? Know on which platforms you'll stream Netflix, as you need a VPN with native software for those platforms. That should be your first step in filtering VPNs.
- Know which versions of Netflix you want to unblock. Many VPNs can unblock Netflix's US library. However, maybe you'll want to check what's available in Canada, the UK, or Australia. Based on that, check whether you'll find servers in those countries. And then, check whether those servers let you access Netflix (as that doesn't come supported by default).
- Choose based on the level of complexity you need. While some VPNs are fully automated, others tend to lean towards the more complex side. So, based on your experience and your willingness to dive into your VPN connection, pick a VPN that won't be a problem to use.
- Ensure you have access to reliable customer support. Know that things can go wrong with VPNs from time to time. That's why it's crucial to subscribe to a VPN with 24/7-available customer support. Even better, find a VPN that offers live chat via its website.
Does VPN Work on Netflix?
Yes, VPNs work on Netflix. The best Netflix VPN can unblock its content by tricking it into thinking that you're streaming from a different country.
You need to find a provider that can hide your online activity and encrypt your connection so Netflix won't be able to detect your real location. This will allow you to watch whatever shows or movies you want without any disruptions.
VPNs work on Netflix by using different types of protocols to communicate between your device and the VPN server. These protocols help the VPN maintain a stable and secure connection while you're watching Netflix.
How to Find a Capable & Reliable VPN for Netflix?
Keep in mind that Netflix isn't the easiest of websites to unblock via VPNs. Therefore, you should take your time searching for the best Netflix VPN. Here are some useful pointers that you should keep in mind.
- Netflix-Unblocking Capabilities: Know that only a handful of VPNs can easily and reliably unblock Netflix. There are also plenty of those that falsely claim to possess this capability. So, never trust any marketing messages and rely on hands-on reviews.
- General Media Streaming Performance: Many of you use Netflix in addition to other platforms as well. So, do you have a subscription to Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, or other streaming services? You need to know which platforms can be unblocked by a certain VPN - so you need to either rely on reviews or contact the VPN via its customer support.
- Fast & Reliable Performance: It's true that some throttling can be expected when using a VPN. However, this shouldn't impact your Web connection in a dramatic way. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, you can afford some throttling while still getting to stream HD and 4K movies and TV shows.
- Widespread Server Network: If a VPN offers thousands of servers around the world, that usually means that it comes with fast performance. If you want to access the US version of Netflix (for example), make sure to know how many servers are located in that country.
- Multiple VPN Protocols: While OpenVPN is great for protecting your privacy, some of you don't need the highest level of encryption. If you only want to unblock Netflix, using a protocol like WireGuard should still help you reach your goal without affecting your Internet connection speed.
Which VPN Unblocks the Most Netflix Libraries?
Based on our experience, Surfshark unblocks the biggest number of Netflix libraries, as it lets you access over 15 different country-based Netflix versions.
Unless you need a very "exotic" version of Netflix, ExpressVPN should also meet your needs. That VPN works with 10+ Netflix libraries, including those reserved for the US, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, and plenty more.
What Speed Do You Need With Your VPN to Stream Netflix?
To stream Netflix while using a VPN, you need to have at least a 0.5 Mbps Web connection - as per Netflix's official requirements. Find more detailed info just below.
|Connection / Video Quality||Required Mbps|
|Broadband Connection||0.5 Mbps|
|Standard Definition - SD||3 Mbps|
|High Definition - HD||5 Mbps|
|Ultra High Definition - 4K/UHD||25 Mbps|
As you can see, to stream in HD, you need 5 Mbps - which should be easy to achieve with any VPN, as long as your Web connection is above 10 Mbps (when not using VPNs). Of course, to stream in 4K, you need a fast connection - at least 25 Mbps when using a VPN.
What Is the Fastest VPN for Netflix?
The fastest Netflix VPN is ExpressVPN, as per our tests. No matter if you use its nearby or remote servers, you can expect ultra-fast performance.
That's because ExpressVPN comes with all-in-one servers. So, no matter if you want to unblock Netflix, Hulu, or Disney Plus, all you need is ExpressVPN's US-based server.
However, know that every VPN will slow you down a bit. That's because of how VPNs work, as they need to route your data through their servers, which means your data will take a longer route than before.
Is It Legal to Use a VPN With Netflix?
Yes, it's legal to use a VPN when streaming Netflix.
Even though this media streaming platform discourages its users from using VPNs, you should know that you won't be in any danger of having your Netflix account banned.
It's also important to note that streaming Netflix via VPN isn't piracy - as you're already paying for your subscription (and no, there's no way to watch Netflix for free via VPNs).
Does Netflix Ban VPN Users?
No, Netflix doesn't ban VPN users - even though the streaming platform's legal documents mention that possibility.
When using a VPN, you're altering your access to Netflix, which is something this streaming service doesn't allow. Another thing not allowed includes accessing Netflix's libraries that aren't meant for the country you currently reside in - which puts VPNs in a problematic position.
Still, know that Netflix doesn't ban VPN users (we never heard about a single individual that was banned from Netflix for that reason), as doing that could destabilize its financial structure and future plans. That's why Netflix uses anti-VPN systems that (once you're detected using a VPN) show you a proxy error message, asking you to disable your VPN.
What to Expect When Using a VPN to Unblock Netflix?
Well, you can expect plenty. For example, you can expect to unblock Netflix, increase the size of its library, and resolve streaming-related issues with your Web connection.
- VPNs Unblock New Netflix Libraries: Netflix is available in almost every country in the world. However, each country has its own Netflix library. And trust us - there are drastic differences here. So, by using a VPN, you can obtain any country's IP address, and then access a different version of Netflix - with new movies and TV shows.
- VPNs Unblock New Types of Content Sooner: Netflix doesn't unlock all of its movies and TV shows at the same time - across the world. That's why some countries have only several seasons of a TV show, while other countries have access to all of the seasons of that same TV show. Using a Netflix VPN, you can unlock new titles sooner - even before they're officially available in your country.
- VPNs Improve Your Media Streaming Experience: It's no secret that Internet providers throttle media streaming services. In case you've been seeing a lot of buffering when streaming Netflix lately, it's time to think about using a VPN. That's because VPNs hide your traffic from your ISP - so there's no selective throttling.
What Can I Watch With a Netflix VPN?
Using a Netflix VPN, you can watch any movie and TV show this streaming service offers, even those reserved for specific countries only.
In other words, instead of accessing the version of Netflix available in your country only, a VPN helps you unblock any title currently offered by the streaming service. Since you'll get more content without paying extra, using a VPN increases the value of your Netflix subscription.
Of course, keep in mind that your subscription's restrictions will still apply. If your subscription doesn't offer access to 4K movies, a VPN won't unblock those. So, you won't "hack" Netflix in any way. Instead, you'll simply gain access to more content than ever before.
If you need a step-by-step guide, check our guide on how to use a VPN to watch Netflix, showing you how to access pretty much any version of the streaming service.
Why Netflix Has Regional Restrictions?
There's one reason why Netflix offers country-based libraries, and that's due to copyright (broadcast) licenses.
Content providers such as Hollywood studios or TV networks sell copyright licenses on a per-country basis. That's because each country has a varying level of demand for a specific movie or TV show. To control its costs, Netflix decides what to invest in, trying to cater to every country in a very specific way.
Of course, the only segment where this doesn't apply is Netflix's original programming. As Netflix invests money in producing those movies and TV shows, it has the right to show those titles in the entire world, without any geo-restrictions.
How Does Netflix Detect and Block VPNs?
Netflix detects and blocks VPNs based on their IP addresses. It also uses DNS and GPS data to determine your true location and see if you use a VPN.
As you can guess, a very complex system is in place to protect Netflix's licensing and content distribution deals. However, even though this streaming service has an advanced VPN detection system, all of the VPNs recommended in this article can bypass it.
Here's what else you need to know on how Netflix knows you're using a VPN.
Which Country Has the Largest Netflix Library?
At the moment, the biggest Netflix library is found in Ireland (yes, a bit surprising). Malaysia and Indonesia are right after, as you can see just below.
|Country||Number of Netflix Titles|
You'll also find the Czech Republic, Singapore, the United Kingdom, Hungary, and New Zealand among the countries with sizable Netflix libraries. All of those come with more than 5,000 titles (each), which includes both movies and TV shows.
What's the Best VPN Location for Netflix?
Currently, the best Netflix VPN location is in Ireland. It might sound surprising, but Ireland has the largest Netflix library out of all the countries where the platform is available.
Out of the 17,000+ titles that Netflix has across the globe, Netflix Ireland has access to over 6,370 of them. Other countries that have more than 6,000 titles in their Netflix libraries include Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Canada.
Can I Watch Netflix in China?
Yes, you can watch Netflix in China - but only if you use a VPN service and if you already subscribe to this media streaming service.
Netflix still isn't available in China. Even though its website works just fine, you won't be able to subscribe. That's not because Netflix is blocked. Instead, this streaming service is yet to enter this market, even though we don't know when and if that will happen.
In the meantime, you could use a VPN service. When it comes to China, we believe the best option you have right now is ExpressVPN. Use the provided link to learn more about using that VPN in China. And to check more options, here's our guide to the best VPN for China.
In Which Country Is Netflix Free?
At the moment, Netflix is free in Kenya, where it offers a free-of-charge tier that works only on Android phones.
Netflix's free plan in Kenya (which also comes without ads) can be activated only if you're in that country. A VPN won't help you, as your Google account (associated with your Android device) must originate from that country.
So, even if you get a Kenyan IP address using a VPN, your Android's Google account and its GPS location are used to pinpoint your location in a very precise way (and those are pretty much impossible to obfuscate).
How Do I Watch Netflix US, Netflix Japan, and other Netflix Versions In Other Countries?
To watch Netflix US or Netflix Japan (or any other version), you need a VPN service that offers servers in those countries.
As soon as you connect to a server in a specific country, your IP address changes. Your new IP will correspond to the chosen country, which is how online services like Netflix will believe that you're somewhere else. In other words, if you get a British IP, German IP, Swedish IP, or Japanese IP address, you'll unlock the British, German, Swedish, or Japanese version of Netflix.
That's also why it's essential to know more about your chosen VPN apps' server network. Before buying a subscription, make sure to do your research and find out how many servers you will get, as well as in what countries.
Do I Need to Pay for American Netflix with a US Payment Method?
No, you don't need to pay for Netflix US using a US payment method. By using a VPN, you can continue using your subscription without any changes.
When signing up for Netflix from a specific country, you'll need a payment method associated with that country. However, once you get your subscription, you're free to use a VPN to bypass Netflix's geo-block and reach more content without having to change your payment options.
Differently said, Netflix will continue to charge you just like before, even after you start using a VPN. You won't be charged more or be forced to change your account's currency.
Seeing a 'Netflix Proxy Error?' Here's How to Fix That!
If you're seeing the infamous 'Netflix Proxy Error,' this means you're using a VPN that fails to unblock this media streaming platform.
In other words, Netflix has managed to see that you're using a VPN - and therefore, your access is blocked. However, there's nothing to worry about, as you simply need a more powerful VPN, or perhaps you need to tweak your VPN's settings.
To learn all that there's to know about fixing the 'Netflix Proxy Error,' make sure to click on the provided link. You'll be taken to a guide that will most surely help you resolve this issue.
How to Bypass the Netflix VPN Proxy Error?
To bypass Netflix's proxy error, you need a capable VPN with a proven track record of being able to unblock Netflix. Not many VPNs come with that feature.
However, even some well-known Netflix VPNs can have a hard time on occasion. So, to bypass Netflix's proxy error in those cases, do the following:
- Switch to another VPN protocol. We recommend sticking to proven and high-end protocols like OpenVPN and WireGuard (so, try switching between the two). Using older protocols like L2TP and IKEv2 might work, but only sometimes.
- Try a different VPN server. VPN servers can often be under a heavy load, with hundreds of connections being made every couple of seconds. So, there could be a chance that you're using an overcrowded server or it might be plagued by technical issues.
- Delete your cache data. If you've used your Web browser to access Netflix in the past, your cache data helps the streaming platform see that you use a VPN. So, you need to delete your browser's cache. Here's how that is done in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Edge.
- Re-check your VPN connection. Once you connect to a VPN server, your data should flow without any leaks. So, to check your VPN connection, we recommend running a DNS leak test.
- Never use a free VPN. That's because no free VPN can unblock Netflix. And on top of that, they come with limited bandwidth, which makes them unusable for media streaming.
Netflix VPN Not Working - How to Fix?
Your Netflix VPN might not be working because your cached data isn't cleared and has revealed that you’re using a VPN. To fix this, clear your cache before reconnecting to the VPN and watching Netflix.
Other reasons why your Netflix VPN isn't working could include the following:
- Netflix Proxy Error - One of the most common issues that might occur while you use Netflix with a VPN is the Netflix Proxy Error. When this issue pops up, it means Netflix has detected you're using a VPN and blocked the server's IP. To fix this issue, you must connect to a different VPN server. You can ask your VPN provider if you don't know which server to use.
- NSES-404 Error - This error occurs when you try to watch a title that isn't available in the location you're streaming from. If you're using a VPN to change your location to a country where the movie or show is available, and you still get this error, that means your browser data has revealed your real location. Clear your browser's cookies and cache, use incognito mode, or connect to a different server to solve this issue.
- DNS leak - You can do a DNS leak test to check whether your DNS queries are coming from the IP address associated with the VPN server or your true IP address. If you are experiencing a DNS leak, Netflix will be able to see your real location and prevent you from accessing content. To fix this, make sure the VPN you’re using offers DNS leak protection and that it is turned on.
What's the Best Free VPN for Netflix?
At the moment, the best free VPN for Netflix is ProtonVPN, alongside a small group of other VPNs (all of which come with limitations). You can learn more via our guide to the best free VPN for Netflix.
However, keep in mind that free VPNs are usually ineffective when it comes to accessing Netflix, as this platform has the means to detect VPN services. So, your effort will most likely be short-lived. The only way to go is via a premium VPN with a long history of working with Netflix.
Also, keep in mind that free VPNs impose pretty severe bandwidth limitations. In the best-case scenario, you'll get to use them for quick Web browsing sessions, and that's about it. However, know that free VPNs aren't safe in general, as they can track your whereabouts, serve aggressive ads, and a large number of those were tied to malware.
Which VPNs No Longer Work with Netflix (in 2023)?
Netflix has advanced mechanisms for detecting VPNs. That means that not every VPN will do its job, making articles like this one even more important for you to check. With that said, we've found that the following VPNs don't work with Netflix:
- Private Tunnel
- Hoxx VPN
- Anonymous VPN
- Celo VPN
- Hide My IP
- Ra4w VPN
Not all countries have access to the same movies and shows on Netflix. However, by using a Netflix VPN, you can bypass those geo-restrictions and watch content from any country you’d like.
A VPN allows you to mask your location and trick Netflix into thinking that you're streaming from another country. However, not all VPN providers are able to do that. When choosing your VPN, make sure that it has strong content-unblocking and encryption capabilities.
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN to watch Netflix due to its proven ability to unblock content, military-grade encryption, and fast server speeds. It is the fastest and most reliable VPN on the market, allowing you to stream Netflix in 4K without buffering issues.
Does NordVPN Work with Netflix?
Yes, NordVPN works with Netflix. The provider can unblock Netflix in many different countries, keep your location hidden, and enable you to watch Netflix in 4K.
Does ExpressVPN Work with Netflix?
Yes, ExpressVPN works with Netflix. We rank it as the best VPN for Netflix because it offers lightning-fast server speeds, seamless 4K streaming, and military-grade encryption.
What Is the Cheapest VPN for Netflix?
The cheapest VPN for Netflix is IPVanish. Based on the monthly cost, IPVanish offers the lowest price among the VPN providers that can unblock Netflix.
That wraps up our best Netflix VPN guide. If you have any questions, feel free to share them with us via the comments section below. Thanks for reading!