During the last couple of years, Chromebooks became increasingly capable devices. Today, they run a wide range of apps, including Android and even some Linux applications. And of course, Kodi is there as well. So, in case you want to run the world’s most popular home theater application, allow us to teach you how to install Kodi on Chromebook.
Considering the rapid development of Chromebooks, we’ve updated this article for 2019. This means that we offer three installation methods, all of which can be used to install Kodi 18 Leia on your Chromebook.
Warning: Why you must NOT USE Kodi without VPN?
Here are the reasons that you should consider looking at it without SKIPPING.
- Using ILLEGAL Kodi Addons are Dangerous without a VPN: Most of the Kodi users are installing the ILLEGAL Kodi addons on their system to access all the latest movies, TV shows, sports, music, and much more for FREE, than a legal Kodi addon where it has the least content in it. But do you know what? The video content on illegal addons are a scraped and copyrighted material. If you are accessing them on Kodi, then your activities will be monitored by your ISP by tracking your IP and gives all the information to the government or companies if they request for it. This will land you in trouble. To stay away from this, you will have to connect to a VPN where it hides your identity by rotating your IP address while streaming Kodi content. This is how you will be safe from the prying eyes.
- Bypass Geo-Restriction: As you probably know, some official addons like BBC iPlayer, NBC Sports, Hulu, IceFilms have geo-location restrictions. This also applies to other addons like Acestream which fetches the data from torrents. To unblock these restrictions, you will have to DEFINITELY use a VPN no matter what.
The above are the 2 reasons that forcing us to recommend a VPN to the Kodi users for safer streaming. In fact, after testing several VPNs for Kodi, we finally came up with a one non-stop solution and that is ExpressVPN, the top rated Kodi VPN so far.
Limited Time Offer: For our TechNadu readers, there is a 49% OFF on ExpressVPN which includes 3 FREE Months in it.
So, here are 3 quick jump-links to find out how to install Kodi 18 on Chromebook in 2019:
- Method 1: Install Kodi on Chromebook via Play Store
- Method 2: Install Kodi on Chromebook via Arc Welder
- Method 3: Install Kodi on Chromebook via Chrome (Extension)
This method can be used by those who have access to the Google Play Store – which means that you can install Android apps.
So, here’s how to install Kodi on Chromebook via the Play Store.
- Launch the Play Store on your computer;
- At the top of the screen, you will see the search field. This is where you can search for different applications if you know their names;
- Type in ‘Kodi’ or use the voice search. After a couple of seconds, you’ll see a list of search results;
- Find Kodi on this list and click on its icon. You’ll see that there are many Kodi-related applications available, but make sure to install the official one. You can recognize it by its developer since Kodi is made by the XBMC Foundation. Also, it’s free of charge;
- An overview of Kodi will now open. Hit the green-colored ‘Install’ button and your Chromebook will do the rest. Depending on your Internet connection speed, it might take a few minutes for the application to be downloaded and installed.
- That’s it! You should now find Kodi among the installed apps on your Chromebook. Find its icon and launch it.
Next, we’re going to explain how to install Kodi on Chromebook by using a Chrome extension named Arc Welder.
- First, make sure to download and install Arc Welder on your Chromebook;
- Now, go to Kodi’s official website and click on the Android logo;
- Choose from a 32bit or 64bit version. You can see which of these versions you can run by typing ‘chrome://help’ in Chrome’s address bar where you’ll see if you’re running a 32bit or 64bit version of Chrome.
- Launch Arc Welder on your Chromebook. You will see a fairly simple interface with a large ‘Plus’ icon. Click on it;
- Now navigate to Kodi’s APK file that you downloaded to your computer. Click ‘Open’;
- Arc Welder will need some time to process the application. Once everything is ready, you will see Kodi’s overview. Click on ‘Test’;
- That’s it! Kodi will now load and fully open. Don’t worry if it takes a few minutes for Kodi to fully launch the first time you open it.
As a continuation of our previous step, we’ll teach you how to install Kodi on Chromebook by turning this application into an extension. This means that you won’t need to run Arc Welder each time you wish to open Kodi.
- You need to run Kodi through Arc Welder. In other words, all of the mentioned-above steps are needed. This includes downloading Kodi’s APK file and testing the application using Arc Welder. As a result, this will produce a new Kodi APK file that we’re about to use.
- Open Google Chrome and click on the More button in the top-right corner (represented by three vertical dots);
- Now scroll down to ‘More Tools’. From there, click on ‘Extensions’;
- In the top-right corner, you will see an option that says ‘Developer Mode’. Make sure this option is enabled;
- Now click on the button that says ‘Load unpacked extensions’. It can be found in the top-left corner;
- Finally, find Kodi’s APK file. However, this shouldn’t be a freshly downloaded file. Instead, you need to find the file that was exported via Arc Welder. You’ll recognize it by its name which should be something like ‘apk_export’. Click on the file.
- That’s it! Chrome will now import Kodi and recognize it as an extension. Feel free to use just you would use any Android application.
While we have your attention, we’d like to make a few recommendations. To learn how to use and enhance your Kodi user experience, don’t forget to check out the following articles.
- How to Enable Unknown Sources on Kodi
- Get the Best Kodi Addons
- Get the Best Kodi Builds
- Get the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
- How to Add Subtitles to Kodi
This is where we conclude our article on how to install Kodi on Chromebook. In case you have anything to add, feel free to post a comment. Let’s exchange ideas and help each other with technical difficulties.