During the last couple of years, Chromebooks became increasingly popular devices. This is why you can find numerous different models these days. At first, Chromebooks were known for its budget-friendly price. This isn’t the rule anymore since you can find some powerful devices powered by the latest generation of processors and graphics – which comes at a price. What this also means is that Chromebooks are more than capable of running Kodi and playing high-definition movies. This is the reason why we wanted to tell you how to install Kodi on Chromebook computers. We’re sure many of you are going to enjoy in what this application has to offer.
As you probably know, not every Chromebook is the same. There are different models and configurations available, which also means there are different ways to install Kodi on Chromebook. Don’t worry, this guide can be used for any model – no matter if you have access to Google Play Store or not. We’ll be taking you through every step of the way and we’ll provide useful screenshots in case you ever get lost. Without further ado, let’s jump right in.
Disclaimer: This article contains information about software based on Kodi – which is based on open source software on its own. The following addons can be considered both official and unofficial. However, all of them are publicly available and free of charge. Therefore, TechNadu doesn’t take any responsibility for how our readers decide to use the software mentioned below. Please note that we don’t condone piracy nor copyright infringement. Additionally, this website is no way connected to the software mentioned below. Please make sure to read and fully understand the above-said disclaimer carefully and ensure the proper use of the software.
- 1 WARNING: Before You Continue…
- 2 Install Kodi on Chromebook: Overview
- 3 Install Kodi on Chromebook: Google Play Store
- 4 Install Kodi on Chromebook: Alternative Methods
- 5 Install Kodi on Chromebook: Chrome Extension
- 6 Install Kodi on Chromebook: What’s Next?
- 7 Additional Resources
- 8 Final Words
WARNING: Before You Continue…
We advise our readers to be careful when using Kodi. This is because some of you have reported receiving copyright infringement noticed from your Internet Service Providers (ISPs). The truth is that there are some quite aggressive IPSs out there, capable of collecting different sorts of your personal Web browsing data. This is why using a VPN application should be considered as an important prerequisite. Let’s take a brief look at the most valuable benefits VPNs provide.
- Virtual Private Networks are capable of keeping your Internet connection secure. VPN software is designed to encrypt your connection making it inaccessible to third-parties. This means that your ISP won’t be able to track your personal data nor any government or agencies.
- Those of you who use open and insecure Wi-Fi connections are at a risk of malicious attacks. This is especially true for Wi-Fis that are publicly available (in coffee-shops and hotels, for example). This makes it a good reason to invest in a VPN software.
- If you’re looking for a way to break out of geographical limits, a VPN is a viable solution. Quite often, you can encounter region-locked content on the Web (as well as on Kodi). By using a VPN, these boundaries are eliminated. In fact, you’ll be able to access the Web without any restrictions or censorship.
There are a lot of VPN applications out there, offering different sets of features. We would like to help you with this decision by recommending IPVanish. This is our preferred VPN app that works without any issues. It allows us to watch region-locked content and keep your Internet connections secure – without sacrificing their speeds.
Try out IPVanish today. The prices start at $6.95 per month and you can use IPVanish without any limitations or restrictions.
Install Kodi on Chromebook: Overview
The majority of Chromebook users use their computer for basic needs. This includes browsing the Web, editing text documents, and checking e-mail. However, your Chromebook is more powerful than you can imagine. We’ll tell you how to transform your computer into a multimedia machine capable of playing locally stored media and online streaming.
Here are some of the things that we’ll talk about:
- How to update your Chromebook;
- How to install Kodi on Chromebook using Google Play Store;
- What to do if you don’t have Google’s Play Store;
- How to turn Kodi into an extension for Google Chrome;
- What to do once you install Kodi – learn how to take advantage of its amazing features.
We really hope that you have a Chromebook that comes with Google Play Store. This would mean that you can download and install Kodi in a matter of minutes. However, there’s no need to worry if that’s not the case. Even if you don’t know anything about transforming APK files and installing them, we’re here to help. Continue reading to learn more.
Install Kodi on Chromebook: Google Play Store
What you need to know is that Kodi offers a full-fledged Android application. This means that you can install Kodi on Android and run it natively on your computer. In addition, you can easily update it and have the access to the latest version at all times.
In case you have access to Google Play Store on your computer, here’s how to install Kodi on Chromebook:
- Launch Google Play Store on your computer;
- At the top of the screen, you will see the search field. This is where you can search for different applications if you know their names;
- Type in ‘Kodi’ or use the voice search. After a couple of seconds, you’ll see a list of search results;
- Find Kodi on this list and click on its icon. You’ll see that there are many Kodi-related applications available, but make sure to install the official one. You can recognize it by its developer since Kodi is made by the XBMC Foundation. Also, it’s free of charge;
- An overview of Kodi will now open. Hit the green-colored ‘Install’ button and your Chromebook will do the rest. Depending on your Internet connection speed, it might take a few minutes for the application to be downloaded and installed.
- That’s it! You should now find Kodi among the installed apps on your Chromebook. Find its icon and launch it.
Supported Chromebook Models
The official method of installing Kodi via Google Play Store can be utilized on Chromebooks that come with Google’s store of applications. If you’re not sure if your Chromebook is capable of doing this, we are going to give you a few tips.
In case you ever used the Google Play Store on your Chromebook, you’re good to go. In addition, if you bought your computer in 2015, 2016, or 2017, you’re also capable of installing Kodi the official way.
Here are some of the most popular Chromebooks that come with the Google Play Store:
- Acer Chromebook R11;
- Acer Chromebook Spin 11;
- Google Chromebook Pixel (2015 or later);
- Samsung Chromebook Plus;
- Samsung Chromebook Pro;
- Asus Chromebook Flip C100PA;
- Asus Chromebook Flip C213.
Important note: The above-found models aren’t the only ones capable of running Google Play Store. To see a full list of supported devices, use this support page that’s maintained by Google.
Install Kodi on Chromebook: Alternative Methods
The ability to download Android applications on Chromebook computer is reserved for newer models. We are sure that many of you don’t have access to the Google Play Store. However, this doesn’t mean that your computer can’t run Kodi. Instead, you just need to be more creative to make this application run. Continue reading and make sure to follow each and every step in this guide.
Step #1: Update Your Chromebook
First, we need to make sure you’re running the latest version of your Chromebook’s operating system (Chrome OS). Even though your Chromebook automatically downloads new updates, it’s wise to check for updates manually. This is the only way to make sure your computer has the needed updates:
- Make sure you’re logged in and go to Settings;
- Once you’re in, click on ‘About Chrome OS’;
- Click on ‘Check for and apply updates’;
- Your Chromebook will do the rest.
Here’s an alternative way to update your Chromebook if the above-said method gives you problems:
- Open the Chrome Browser;
- Click on the drop-down menu in the top-right corner. This button looks like three small lines on older Chromebooks or three vertical dots on newer computers;
- Now pick ‘Settings’;
- Based on your version of Chrome, you need to find the ‘About Chrome’ button/link. Make sure to check around, since it can be placed in different spots. On newer models, you need to click on the button in the top-left corner (three vertical dots). This is where you can update Chrome OS.
Important Note: You need to be running Chrome OS version 53 or higher. Currently, the latest Chrome OS version is 61 as you can see on Google’s Blog.
Step #2: Download Arc Welder
We need to use a tool designed for developers to install Kodi on Chromebooks that don’t have the Play Store. This tool is called Arc Welder.
When it comes to Chromebooks, Arc Welder acts as a Chrome extension and/or application. It’s completely free of charge and you don’t have to be a developer to use it. Use this link to access the tool and download it.
Right now, you need to make sure that Arc Welder is downloaded and installed. We will talk about how to use it later in the article.
Step #3: Download Kodi’s APK File
We need to download Kodi as well. Please note that Android applications come with the APK extensions. We are going to use Kodi’s official website to download the required file.
- Launch Kodi’s website and click on the ‘Download‘ button. You will be taken to a page where you’ll see different platforms and versions of Kodi;
- Click on Android’s logo;
- Now, choose from a 32bit or 64bit version. You can see which of these versions you can run by typing ‘chrome://help’ in Chrome’s address bar. As you can see on the screenshot below – it says 64bit at the end. If you’re seeing the same thing on your Chromebook, go ahead and download the 64bit version.
Important Note: If for some reason you can’t update your Chrome OS to the latest version, there’s still a chance to run Kodi. However, you will need to download an older version of this application. Here’s how to do that:
- Go to the Download section on Kodi’s website;
- Scroll down until you see the ‘Older Releases‘ section. Click on the provided link;
- Now you’ll see supported operating systems and platforms. Pick Android and proceed until you see three sub-folders. The majority of Android users will be fine with either ARM or ARM64 versions. Click on any of those;
- Finally, you’ll see a list of supported files. Click on one of the files to download the APK to your Chromebook.
That’s it! You’ve successfully downloaded Kodi’s APK file which we’ll use in a second.
Step #4: Install Kodi on Chromebook
We have arrived to the final step of this guide. Continue reading to learn how to use Arc Welder to install and run Kodi on your computer:
- Launch Arc Welder on your Chromebook. You will see a fairly simple interface with a large ‘Plus’ icon. Click on it;
- Now navigate to Kodi’s APK file that you downloaded to your computer. Click ‘Open’;
- Arc Welder will need some time to process the application. Once everything is ready, you will see Kodi’s overview. Click on ‘Test’;
- That’s it! Kodi will now load and fully open. Don’t worry if it takes a few minutes for Kodi to fully launch the first time you open it.
Install Kodi on Chromebook: Chrome Extension
The above-mentioned process is required if you want to use Arc Welder to run Kodi. This means that you’ll need to use this application every time you want to run this home theater software. However, there’s an easier way to run Kodi – and that is by turning it into a Kodi extension.
Before proceeding, you need to make sure that you’ve done the following procedures:
- You need to run Kodi through Arc Welder. In other words, all of the mentioned-above steps are needed. This includes downloading Kodi’s APK file and testing the application using Arc Welder.
- In case you haven’t tested the application, make sure to do the following: download Arc Welder and download Kodi’s APK file. Launch Arc Welder and ‘test the application’. Now you’re ready to proceed.
Turn Kodi Into an Extension
Here’s how to transform Kodi’s APK file into a Chrome Extension:
- Open Google Chrome and click on the More button in the top-right corner (represented by three vertical dots);
- Now scroll down to ‘More Tools’. From there, click on ‘Extensions’;
- In the top-right corner, you will see an option that says ‘Developer Mode’. Make sure this option is enabled;
- Now click on the button that says ‘Load unpacked extensions’. It can be found in the top-left corner;
- Finally, find Kodi’s APK file. However, this shouldn’t be a freshly downloaded file. Instead, you need to find the file that was exported via Arc Welder. You’ll recognize it by its name which should be something like ‘apk_export’. Click on the file.
- That’s it! Chrome will now import Kodi and recognize it as an extension. Feel free to use just you would use any Android application.
Install Kodi on Chromebook: What’s Next?
Now that you have Kodi installed on your Chromebook, let’s see what do this next. We are going to tell you how to install addons and how to customize Kodi to your needs. Finally, we’ll end this article by showing you a few useful articles published on TechNadu.
Step #1: Customize Kodi’s Looks
We believe that the majority of Kodi users are going to happy with the application’s default looks. However, not everyone will like it. This is why it’s important for you to know how to download and install skins for Kodi.
Here’s how to download new skins and try them out:
- Launch Kodi and go to Settings (the gear icon in the top-left corner);
- Now click on ‘Interface Settings’;
- As you’ll see, the default skin is called Estuary. Click on its name and you’ll see a new pop-up window;
- Click on ‘Get More…’. Now freely browse different skins and try them out.
Here are a few examples of nicely designed skin capable of transforming your user experience of Kodi:
- Renegades TV skins have been around for quite some time. This skin is one of the most popular ones, which is why we feel you’re going to love it;
- If you like Google’s material design, feel free to try the Unity Skin. Since you’re using Chromebook, this skin can be used to transform Kodi into an application that Google would have designed;
- The Chroma skin is being advertised as a skin made for gamers. If you like visually heavy skins with lots of configuration options, this one is for you.
- Finally, we’d like to recommend checking out our article about the best Kodi skins. This is where you’ll find a number of great options.
Step #2: Install Kodi Add-ons
The use of add-ons is one of the biggest reason to try Kodi. These extend the application’s capabilities and bring large content libraries that can be streamed.
First, allow us to recommend a few add-ons we feel are essential for any Kodi user:
- Exodus is perhaps one of the most popular Kodi add-ons. It brings a highly polished interface and different content sorting options. You can find movies and TV shows, in addition to rich sports-related content.
- Bennu is also one of the popular add-ons. Aside from movies and TV shows, this add-on is one of the most capable Live TV addons as well. Hundreds of international TV channels can be found, with very few non-working links;
- Elektra Vault is our recommendation if you enjoy watching HD content or if you’d like to stream 4K movies.
- In case you’re an existing user of Plex, you can transfer your library to Kodi using the Plex Kodi addon.
We’d also like to recommend our articles that talk about specific groups of add-ons. This will hopefully help you to find fully-working add-ons with ease.
- Movie-related addons are able of expanding your content library. They all bring streamable links gathered from all around the Web;
- Sports addons are created for those of you who enjoy different sports. You can also find some more specific options like boxing addons, or those that let you watch NFL on Kodi;
- When it comes to region-specific content we recommend checking out Chinese addons as well as Korean addons. In addition, some of those also bring Bollywood movies to Kodi.
- Let’s now forget about kids. There are dozens of highly useful cartoon addons for Kodi.
Step #3: Install a Build
Finally, we’d like to tell you about customized builds for Kodi. These are add-ons that completely change Kodi’s user interface and they also bring a large number of preloaded add-ons. This can save you a lot of time since you don’t need to install add-ons manually.
- One of the most popular builds is the Wookie build. It brings almost every kind of content imaginable but also comes with an interesting skin.
- You can also check out 33 of the best Kodi builds, so you can see which one works the best for you.
To help you get started with Kodi, we’d like to show you other TechNadu’s helpful articles. These can be used by complete beginners, as well as those who would like to become advanced users.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Kodi is the place to start learning about this application;
- The Ultimate Kodi Guide is where you’ll find everything you always wanted to know about Kodi;
- Finally, our Kodi Troubleshooting Guide will help you to fix any issue.
In case you’re interested in installing Kodi on some other platform or operating system, here are TechNadu’s guides:
- Learn how to install Kodi on Windows;
- Use the right tool to install Kodi on iOS;
- Download and install Kodi on your Mac (MacOS);
- Using a Linux distribution? You can easily use Kodi on Linux;
- Experiment with the most powerful small computer – install Kodi on Raspberry Pi;
- You can also use different methods to run Kodi on your Smart TV.
This is where we conclude our article on how to install Kodi on Chromebook. We hope that you managed to install this amazing application, in addition to its fully-working addons, skins, and builds.
In case you have anything to add, feel free to post a comment. We’re dedicated to communicating with the community of Kodi users. Let’s exchange ideas and help each other with technical difficulties.