During the last couple of years, Chromebooks became increasingly capable devices. Today, they run a wide range of apps, including Android and even some Linux applications. And of course, Kodi is there as well. So, in case you want to run the world’s most popular home theater application, allow us to teach you how to install Kodi on Chromebook.
Considering the rapid development of Chromebooks, we’ve updated this article for 2019. This means that we offer three installation methods, all of which can be used to install Kodi 18 Leia on your Chromebook.
Why You Must Never Use Kodi Without a VPN?
Installing Kodi is easy and comes with no issues. However, by installing and using third-party addons and builds, you put yourself in danger of receiving copyright infringement notices. As you know, this leads to severe legal consequences that you’ll surely want to avoid.
To enjoy Kodi risk-free and up to its full extent, we highly recommend using ExpressVPN. This is a very simple yet incredibly sophisticated VPN application that comes with numerous benefits. Here are the most prominent reasons why you should activate ExpressVPN right after you install Kodi.
- Content/Addon Unblocking: Many Kodi addons are restricted to certain regions. ExpressVPN will unblock those addons with ease, expanding your media library exponentially.
- Prevention of IPS Logging: Don’t let your ISP detect that you use Kodi, which often leads to throttling. Instead, ExpressVPN hides what you do online from your ISP and anyone else online.
- Advanced Data Leak Protection: Finally, note that not all VPNs are the same. Our editorial team suggests none other than ExpressVPN, which is proven to use advanced protocols that keep your private information out of anyone’s reach.
There’s no need to put yourself in danger when using Kodi – especially since there’s a proven way to hide everything that you do online. So, subscribe to ExpressVPN now and make the best decision about protecting your online identity.
So, here are 3 quick jump-links to find out how to install Kodi 18 on Chromebook in 2019:
- Method 1: Install Kodi on Chromebook via Play Store
- Method 2: Install Kodi on Chromebook via Arc Welder
- Method 3: Install Kodi on Chromebook via Chrome (Extension)
This method can be used by those who have access to the Google Play Store – which means that you can install Android apps.
So, here’s how to install Kodi on Chromebook via the Play Store.
- Launch the Play Store on your computer;
- At the top of the screen, you will see the search field. This is where you can search for different applications if you know their names;
- Type in ‘Kodi’ or use the voice search. After a couple of seconds, you’ll see a list of search results;
- Find Kodi on this list and click on its icon. You’ll see that there are many Kodi-related applications available, but make sure to install the official one. You can recognize it by its developer since Kodi is made by the XBMC Foundation. Also, it’s free of charge;
- An overview of Kodi will now open. Hit the green-colored ‘Install’ button and your Chromebook will do the rest. Depending on your Internet connection speed, it might take a few minutes for the application to be downloaded and installed.
- That’s it! You should now find Kodi among the installed apps on your Chromebook. Find its icon and launch it.
Next, we’re going to explain how to install Kodi on Chromebook by using a Chrome extension named Arc Welder.
- First, make sure to download and install Arc Welder on your Chromebook;
- Now, go to Kodi’s official website and click on the Android logo;
- Choose from a 32bit or 64bit version. You can see which of these versions you can run by typing ‘chrome://help’ in Chrome’s address bar where you’ll see if you’re running a 32bit or 64bit version of Chrome.
- Launch Arc Welder on your Chromebook. You will see a fairly simple interface with a large ‘Plus’ icon. Click on it;
- Now navigate to Kodi’s APK file that you downloaded to your computer. Click ‘Open’;
- Arc Welder will need some time to process the application. Once everything is ready, you will see Kodi’s overview. Click on ‘Test’;
- That’s it! Kodi will now load and fully open. Don’t worry if it takes a few minutes for Kodi to fully launch the first time you open it.
As a continuation of our previous step, we’ll teach you how to install Kodi on Chromebook by turning this application into an extension. This means that you won’t need to run Arc Welder each time you wish to open Kodi.
- You need to run Kodi through Arc Welder. In other words, all of the mentioned-above steps are needed. This includes downloading Kodi’s APK file and testing the application using Arc Welder. As a result, this will produce a new Kodi APK file that we’re about to use.
- Open Google Chrome and click on the More button in the top-right corner (represented by three vertical dots);
- Now scroll down to ‘More Tools’. From there, click on ‘Extensions’;
- In the top-right corner, you will see an option that says ‘Developer Mode’. Make sure this option is enabled;
- Now click on the button that says ‘Load unpacked extensions’. It can be found in the top-left corner;
- Finally, find Kodi’s APK file. However, this shouldn’t be a freshly downloaded file. Instead, you need to find the file that was exported via Arc Welder. You’ll recognize it by its name which should be something like ‘apk_export’. Click on the file.
- That’s it! Chrome will now import Kodi and recognize it as an extension. Feel free to use just you would use any Android application.
While we have your attention, we’d like to make a few recommendations. To learn how to use and enhance your Kodi user experience, don’t forget to check out the following articles.
- How to Enable Unknown Sources on Kodi
- Get the Best Kodi Addons
- Get the Best Kodi Builds
- Get the Best Kodi Skins
- How to Change Skins on Kodi
- How to Create a Library in Kodi
- How to Import Videos to Kodi
- How to Add Music to Kodi
- How to Add Photos to Kodi
- How to Set Up Kodi Profiles
- How to Add Subtitles to Kodi
This is where we conclude our article on how to install Kodi on Chromebook. In case you have anything to add, feel free to post a comment. Let’s exchange ideas and help each other with technical difficulties.