Even though Amazon Prime Video serves a worldwide market, the platform is still unavailable in a few places and every region has its own geo-restricted library. Furthermore, even if you have Prime Video at home, you won't be able to watch it if you travel to restricted areas.
Fortunately, a VPN for Amazon Prime Video can help you bypass any geo-blocks the streamer has in place. It will allow you to watch your favorite shows and movies on Prime while traveling, as well as access all the available region-specific content libraries from anywhere.
In this article, we'll share the 5 best Prime Video VPNs and give you a guide on how to watch Amazon Prime Video with a VPN. We'll also explain how to choose the best VPN for Prime Video, how to fix a VPN error, why you need a VPN, and more.
Best Amazon Prime Video VPNs - Our Shortlist
- ExpressVPN – Our #1-Rated VPN for Amazon Prime Video
- NordVPN – Best VPN for Amazon Prime Video for High-End Privacy
- CyberGhost VPN – Streaming-Optimized Amazon Prime Video VPN
- Private Internet Access – Prime Video VPN That Unblocks US Content Library
- Surfshark – Best VPN for Prime Video for First-Time Users
How to Watch Amazon Prime Video with a VPN
To watch Amazon Prime Video with a VPN, first you have to find a service that works with Prime Video. Then, you'll need to get a subscription and connect to a VPN server. Here's exactly what to do:
- Sign up for a VPN that unblocks Amazon Prime Video (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on the device(s) you'll use for Prime Video.
- Open the VPN app and log in to your VPN account.
- Connect to a VPN server in a region where Amazon Prime Video is available.
- Open the app and watch your favorite content with no restrictions!
If you want to access US-exclusive Amazon Prime Video content, you can do so easily by getting a US IP address. To get a US IP, simply connect to a US-based VPN server. The same goes for Amazon Prime Video libraries in other countries—just make sure your VPN has servers in the country you want to unblock content from.
The Best VPNs for Amazon Prime Video in 2023
To find the best VPN for Amazon Prime Video, use the set of criteria we established in our best streaming VPN article to guide you. The first and foremost criterion to look for is the provider's ability to unblock Prime Video and other popular streaming sites.
To do so, your VPN must have a wide server network with servers in countries like the US, the UK, Japan, and Australia, which have some of the largest Prime Video libraries. In addition, the VPN you choose should come with fast Internet connection speeds and reliable performance, so you can stream Amazon Prime Video in 4K with no buffers.
Moreover, look for a provider that offers obfuscated servers, a kill switch mechanism, a no-logs policy, secure VPN protocols, and robust encryption. You'll also need multiple simultaneous connections, support for different Prime-friendly devices, a money-back guarantee, and reliable 24/7 customer support.
Based on the criteria mentioned above, these are the 5 best VPNs for Amazon Prime Video:
The top contender on our list, ExpressVPN, offers strong content-unblocking capabilities, so it can easily unblock Amazon Prime Video from anywhere, along with other streamers. This VPN covers 24 US locations and has servers in the UK, Australia, and Japan as part of its network of 3,000+ servers in 94 countries.
ExpressVPN’s infrastructure offers excellent performance and blazing-fast connection speeds, enabling you to stream Amazon Prime Video in 4K with no issues. You'll also get access to obfuscation (to hide the fact that you're using a VPN) and a kill switch, which will cut your Internet if the VPN connection malfunctions.
This provider has other top-notch security and privacy features such as a no-logs policy, strong tunneling protocols, and military-grade encryption.
With ExpressVPN, you can have up to 5 simultaneous connections running. You'll be able to watch Amazon Prime Video on a wide range of devices, such as phones, laptops, PCs, tablets, smart TVs, routers, and more.
You can try ExpressVPN's services risk-free via its 30-day money-back guarantee. Lastly, the provider offers reliable and knowledgeable 24/7 customer support via live chat.
- Can easily unblock Prime Video
- Accesses all content libraries
- Lightning-fast connection speeds
- Able to bypass VPN detection
- Higher price than some competitors
|Get NordVPN Now|| |
NordVPN is an excellent Prime Video VPN that can unblock Amazon Prime Video with ease, as well as many other popular streaming platforms. NordVPN has a wide server network of 5,700 servers in 60 countries, including 1,970+ servers in 16 US states, 440+ in the UK, 190+ in 5 Australian locations, and 130+ in Japan.
This provider also allows you to stream Amazon Prime Video in 4K, but often only if you use servers closer to your location. By doing so, you'll get medium-fast connection speeds and reliable performance. However, if you use more remote servers, you'll get much slower connections.
NordVPN is ideal for those looking for high-end security and privacy. It comes with thousands of obfuscated servers, a capable kill switch, a no-logs policy, multiple secure VPN protocols, AES 256-bit encryption, and a Double VPN feature, which will route your traffic through 2 servers instead of 1.
You can connect up to 6 devices simultaneously with NordVPN, including your phone, tablet, laptop, PC, smart TV, router, and more. You'll get a 30-day money-back guarantee thanks to its no-questions-asked refund policy. Lastly, you can contact NordVPN any time via its 24/7 live chat customer support feature.
- 2,000+ Prime Video–friendly servers
- Suitable for 4K streaming
- Opens different Prime libraries
- Strong security and privacy
- Easy-to-use VPN apps
- Slow on remote servers
CyberGhost is another excellent Amazon Prime Video VPN with the ability to unblock Amazon Prime Video and other streaming sites. It has a server network of 9,500+ servers in 91 countries, including Japan, the UK, the US, and Australia.
With CyberGhost, you'll be covered with robust security and privacy features to keep your real location hidden. It comes with a strict no-logs policy, secure VPN protocols, military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and data leak protection. However, it doesn't offer obfuscation, so it might struggle a bit to bypass VPN detection and blockages.
CyberGhost isn't the fastest VPN out there, but it'll give you medium-fast connection speeds. The speed might go up a bit if you use servers closer to you. Regardless, you'll get reliable performance with minimal interruptions and buffers.
This VPN allows you to connect up to 7 devices simultaneously and is compatible with phones, laptops, tablets, smart TV devices, routers, PCs, and more. CyberGhost comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee on its longer-term plans. If you get its monthly plan, it offers a 14-day money-back guarantee. Lastly, customer support is available 24/7 via live chat.
- Vast server network
- 1,300+ servers in the US
- Easily accesses Prime Video
- Excellent encryption
- Extended money-back guarantee
- No obfuscated servers
If you're more focused on accessing the US Prime Video library, then Private Internet Access (PIA) is a great solution for you. It can unblock Amazon Prime Video and many other streaming platforms. This VPN has servers in all 50 US states and multiple servers in the UK, Australia, and Japan. Overall, it offers thousands of servers in 84 countries.
With PIA, you'll get average Internet connection speeds and reliable performance that you can boost a little by optimizing your speed via your settings. However, if you increase your speed, you'll have to decrease your security. You'll also need a bit of VPN knowledge to customize your protocols and encryption.
Speaking of encryption, this VPN also has all the security and privacy features needed to keep you safe online, including a no-logs policy, military-grade encryption, secure VPN protocols, and a kill switch. In addition, you'll get obfuscation through its Shadowsocks protocol.
PIA allows unlimited simultaneous connections and supports many devices. So, you can use it on your phone, tablet, PC, laptop, Smart TV, router, and more.
You can try out PIA's services risk-free through its 30-day money-back guarantee and use its 24/7 customer support feature to ask for a full refund if you don't like what you get.
- Customizable VPN settings
- Servers in 50 US states
- Strong content-unblocking capabilities
- Unlimited connections
- Round-the-clock customer support
- Not great for 4K streaming
And last but not least, we have Surfshark, a relatively new VPN on the market that can unblock Amazon Prime Video with no issues. This VPN has a network of 3,200+ servers in 100 countries, including the US, the UK, Japan, and Australia. So, it can give you access to all those libraries and many more.
Surfshark can avoid VPN detection measures and allow you to stream Amazon Prime Video without hiccups. This is thanks to features like obfuscation, a kill switch, a no-logs policy, data leak protection, secure VPN protocols, military-grade encryption, and its Multi-Hop feature that routes your traffic through 2 secure VPN servers.
Moreover, Surfshark is one of the fastest VPNs on the market, offering fast Internet connection speeds and performance ideal for 4K streaming. It works great on both long- and close-range servers, making it an excellent option for streaming.
With Surfshark, you'll be able to connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously, including phones, PCs, laptops, tablets, routers, Smart TVs, and more. Also, you'll get reliable 24/7 customer support via live chat and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Super-fast connections and performance
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Many Prime Video–compatible servers
- Covers 100 countries worldwide
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No customization options
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Amazon Prime Video?
If you live in or travel to a country where Amazon Prime Video is restricted, you'll need a VPN to watch Amazon Prime Video. Otherwise, you'll get the following geo-restriction error message: "This video isn't available due to geographical licensing restrictions."
You need a VPN to watch Amazon Prime Video so that you can access the platform and any of its libraries from anywhere. Other reasons why you need a VPN for Prime Video include the following:
- Bypass Geo-Restrictions – Prime Video is blocked in mainland China, North Korea, Syria, Cuba, Russia, Iran, and Belarus. Plus, the platform's content is different across the regions where it is available. With a VPN, not only can you watch Amazon Prime Video in restricted locations, but you can also access all the different libraries available on the platform across the world.
- Watch Prime Video While Traveling – Traveling may leave you with no access to Amazon Prime Video. Moreover, since different countries have different libraries, you might not be able to watch your favorite content while away from home. But with a VPN for Amazon Prime Video, you can connect to a VPN server in your home country to display your native library.
- Hide Your Identity – If you want to unblock an Amazon Prime Video library from another country, you'll need to ensure that your real location is hidden. A VPN can hide your real IP and successfully trick Prime Video into thinking that you're located in another region.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Amazon Prime Video?
To choose the best VPN for Amazon Prime Video, you'll need to find a provider that has strong content-unblocking capabilities. Other factors to look out for include the following:
- Vast Server Network – In order to access different Amazon Prime Video libraries, you'll need a VPN that has an extensive server network. That way, you'll be able to connect to a server in the country you want to unblock and access its content.
- Robust Privacy Features – Prime Video, like many other popular streaming platforms, detects VPN usage with the help of different technologies and security measures. To successfully bypass such detection, you'll need a provider that offers strong privacy features like obfuscation, a kill switch, and data leak protection.
- Fast Connection Speeds – Getting a VPN with fast Internet connection speeds and performance will allow you to stream Amazon Prime Video in 4k with no buffers or disruptions.
- Unlimited Bandwidth – Having unlimited bandwidth at your disposal is imperative for streaming. That's because streaming content online requires large amounts of data.
- Money-Back Guarantee – To ensure a provider can bypass VPN detection, you can try it out via a money-back guarantee. That way, you won't waste money on a VPN that can't give you unrestricted access to Amazon Prime Video.
What Can You Watch on Amazon Prime Video in 2023?
The content you can watch on Amazon Prime Video differs from region to region. You can access all the Prime Video movies available on the platform with a VPN, as well as all the Prime Video TV shows.
You can find some of the best movies on Prime Video below:
And here are some of the best shows on Prime Video:
|The Legend of Vox Machina||2022||Fantasy Television|
|Kids in the Hall||1988||Comedy|
In the following table, we’ll focus on Prime Video Originals you’ll have access to when you download Prime Video’s app:
|The Big Sick (Movie)||2017||Romance|
|The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (TV)||2017||Comedy/Drama|
|The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (TV)||2022||Fantasy|
Lastly, below you’ll find some of the best Prime Video Live Sports content:
|NBA League Pass||1999||Basketball|
VPN Not Working with Amazon Prime Video: How to Fix
If your VPN is not working with Amazon Prime Video, there could be a number of reasons for this. Here are some possible explanations and solutions for you to try:
- Switch to Another VPN Server – Server failure is a common reason why your VPN isn’t working with Prime. There's also the possibility that Prime Video has blocked your server IP because it detected the IP is coming from a VPN. Either way, an easy and effective solution is to simply connect to another VPN server in the same country and continue watching. Most premium VPNs allow unlimited switches at no extra cost.
- Use a Different VPN Protocol – Most VPNs typically use OpenVPN or WireGuard as their default protocols. Both work great and deliver fast speeds. So, if one isn't working, you can always try switching to the other.
- Update Your Software – Software updates usually come with bug fixes and new technologies that make your VPN better. So, ensure that you always have the latest version installed before you open Prime Video.
- Restart Your Device – If none of the above methods are working, you can try restarting your device. You can also uninstall and reinstall your VPN app again for good measure.
- Contact Customer Support – The last resort that you can use to fix your VPN issue is contacting your VPN provider directly and asking for help.
Can You Use a Free VPN to Watch Amazon Prime Video?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to watch Amazon Prime Video, but that could do you more harm than good. Free VPNs are unreliable and offer poor performance that can cause buffers and constant downtimes. So, they'll most likely give you a low-quality streaming experience, and we won't even mention 4K streaming since that's highly unlikely.
Free VPNs also come with poor privacy and security features, so they're unable to bypass VPN block measures. Also, most of them give you banned IPs right off the bat. So, they won't be able to access Prime Video.
To successfully unblock Prime Video and all the libraries it offers, we recommend you go with the best premium VPN. It will enable you to stream in 4K and bypass Amazon's VPN detection technologies without a hitch.
Amazon Prime Video is banned in a few countries, and different regions have unique content libraries, which you can't access elsewhere. In addition, if you travel to a restricted location or a region with a different library, you won't be able to watch Prime Video like you would at home. However, a VPN for Amazon Prime Video can fix all these issues.
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN for Amazon Prime Video because it will unblock the service so you can watch content in 4K at home or while traveling with no buffering. This provider will grant you access to any Prime library you’d like, and it will protect your privacy and security while doing so.
Can You Use a VPN with Amazon Prime Video?
Yes, you can use a VPN with Amazon Prime Video. A VPN will allow you to bypass the platform's geo-blocks and watch it in restricted regions. You can also use it to access other libraries that aren't available in your home country.
Is Amazon Blocking VPNs?
Yes, Amazon has certain VPN detections in place that block IPs coming from VPNs. Its strict anti-VPN measures can only be bypassed with a powerful provider.
Which VPN Works Best with Amazon Prime Video?
ExpressVPN works best with Amazon Prime Video. Not only does it cover 94 countries worldwide, but it also comes with obfuscation and other measures that can bypass the platform's VPN detections. Plus, it’s more than suitable for 4K streaming.
Can You Watch Amazon Prime Video for Free?
Yes, you can watch Amazon Prime Video for free. The platform offers a free trial for non-Prime members that lasts 30 days.
Is Prime Video Free with Amazon Prime?
Yes, Prime Video is free with Amazon Prime. So, if you have an Amazon Prime membership, you can watch Prime Video content as part of the deal with no extra fees.
How Can You Bypass Amazon Prime VPN Detection?
To bypass Amazon Prime VPN detection, you'll need a powerful VPN that has multiple servers in many countries where Prime is available. So, if a server fails to bypass detection, you can switch to another one and try again.
It would also help if the VPN offers obfuscation, as that will hide the fact that you're using a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video.
Can You Use a VPN for Amazon Prime Video’s App?
Yes, you can use a VPN for the Amazon Prime Video app. And if you get a VPN that allows numerous simultaneous connections, you'll be able to download Prime Video app content on all your devices.
That's all for our guide to choosing a VPN for Amazon Prime Video. Please share any additional remarks or questions via the comments section below. Thanks for reading!