With millions of active Kodi users, it is no wonder why this is one of the most popular home theater software. Thanks to third-party Kodi addons, Kodi can become the ultimate media streamer. However, installing unofficial addons comes with its own set of dangers – which is precisely why Kodi VPNs are often recommended when using this application.
The biggest problems that plague Kodi addons are content restrictions, ISP-imposed throttling, and malware. A common answer to all those problems is VPN that is used to secure your Web connection and hide your Kodi-related online activities. Still, the question is what’s the best VPN for Kodi out there? Let’s find an answer to that question.
When trying to find a VPN for Kodi, you will see hundreds of different options. This is why you need a guide whom you can trust. After taking a deep look at dozens of VPN providers, we are ready to present our findings.
Here’s our list of the 7 best VPN for Kodi in June 2019.
First on our list of suggestions for the best Kodi VPN is ExpressVPN. First of all, ExpressVPN has a carefully crafted service that hits the right balance between simplicity and advanced functionality. Perfectly suitable for beginners, this VPN takes care of your Web connection in every possible way.
The biggest benefit of using this VPN is its server availability. There are servers in almost every country in the world. Besides that, ExpressVPN offers native applications for computers (Windows, Mac, and Linux) aside from highly capable and deeply integrated Android and iOS apps. On top of that, there are VPN apps for routers (you might want to check the best VPN routers as well) – keeping your entire Internet connection secure for all devices in your household.
Finally, it’s also important to mention that this VPN application is subject to British Virgin Island laws. In other words, it is out of reach for the NSA and the 5 Eyes Alliance. This means that you shouldn’t worry while using Kodi to stream just about any type of content.
We strongly recommend diving deep into this application’s capabilities by reading our full ExpressVPN review. Also, continue reading to explore other options as well.
Next, we have CyberGhost. This VPN is based in Romania, which means that is subject to the European Union laws. However, this company is doing its best to keep your private data truly private and protected. On top of that, it comes with attractive pricing and unparalleled customer service.
During the last year, CyberGhost has grown into a full-fledged VPN application. There are dozens of server locations to choose from, and all of them bring reliable connection speeds. No matter which one you pick, you will get to be fully protected. The company employs incredibly strong encryption, making your personal data impenetrable to third-parties. In fact, you will be able to browse the Web incognito, without even your ISP know that you’re online. This isn’t a small feat in the world of VPN applications.
CyberGhost brings a highly polished UI, and you will get to use it natively on Windows, Mac, Linux, as well as smartphone platforms (iOS and Android). On top of that, the application brings different profiles, so it adapts to your browsing needs. Read our review of CyberGhost to learn all you need to know about this interesting VPN application.
3. Surfshark VPN
Surfshark is a VPN that we’ve recently reviewed and we felt impressed by its capabilities. It comes with the standard set of features and also offers a few very enticing extras as well.
Even though it’s relatively new, Surfshark already managed to build a strong user base. By using this VPN, you can count on having hundreds of servers under your fingertips, spread evenly across the globe. This means making sure you’re protected online and unblocking Kodi addons that are not available in your country. What’s also important to note is that Surfshark doesn’t collect your personal information and uses AES-256 encryption. Therefore, your Kodi-related activities will be hidden from your ISP, which in turn means that you’ll get to maintain the proper speed of your Web connection.
Among other notable features, we’d like to add that Surfshark can be used on an unlimited number of devices, it masks your true IP, and uses zero-knowledge DNS servers. So, what’s not to like here? To learn more why this is one of the best Kodi VPNs, here’s our review of Surfshark.
We often like to say that NordVPN is designed for complete beginners. This is because it offers an incredibly designed application for computers and handheld devices. After launching it and selecting a country, you will get a new IP address in under a few seconds. Everything else stays in the background, where the application works without bothering you.
Another prominent thing about NordVPN is its reputation for taking encryption very seriously. A uniquely designed feature of this application is called – Double VPN. This means that your Web traffic is being encrypted not once, but twice. This is definitely more than what you’ll need in your everyday Web browsing, but it’s nice to know that you’ll be 110% protected. Speaking of encryption, we’re talking about AES-256-CBC encryption. Even if a government wants to track you, your data will be useless to them.
The only downside of using NordVPN is that some throttling may occur. Since your traffic is encrypted two times, this is a reasonable drawback. For more information on what to expect, here’s our review of NordVPN.
Designed to be user-friendly on a range of devices, IPVanish works whether you’re streaming music on your phone or watching movies at your home. As one of the world’s fastest VPN providers, you won’t be disappointed with the level of connectivity you receive either. The speed and unlimited bandwidth promise to let you stream as much as you want without lag disrupting your viewing.
IPVanish can also connect up to ten simultaneous devices, ideal for when there’s more than one person using Kodi. Access to censored apps, websites, and anonymous torrenting make IPVanish an attractive VPN offering for some users too.
The accessible price point doesn’t mean that IPVanish compromises on its service either. Security levels are good, giving you peace of mind, and you can access customer support whenever you need to, no matter the time of day. If you’re interested in learning more about this VPN, here’s our review of IPVanish.
As noted before, the biggest problem with some VPNs is Web connection throttling. This means that you won’t be able to stream HD content via Kodi if you don’t have a broadband connection. This is actually the reason why we’ve placed VyprVPN on our list of the best VPN for Kodi. This application is known for providing incredible download speeds. This means that you’ll get to unlock your connection’s full potential and stream HD or even 4K movies.
VyprVPN isn’t only a fast VPN client. It brings wide compatibility for all popular platforms, enhanced by strong security mechanisms. It is powered by the company’s own Chameleon technology that goes several steps beyond VPN blocking and throttling. The result of this is effortless and highly effective geo-unblocking and achieving fast and reliable connection speeds.
To give you an objective overview, we must mention that VyprVPN has some logging. It doesn’t keep track of your traffic or online activities, but the company has log connection times and used IP addresses. Still, this is nothing to be worried about. You can continue reading about this VPN by taking a look at our full review of VyprVPN.
7. Private Internet Access
Even though Private Internet Access comes from the USA, which is one of the 5 Eyes Alliance members, it’s doing amazingly well to safeguard its users. There’s a lot to be said about PIA, so let’s check out what to expect.
First of all, PIA comes with a nicely designed UI – easy enough for complete beginners. You get to pick one of 3,300+ servers and also fine-tune your Web connection. For example, you can decide whether you’ll like to use a kill-switch, eliminate ads, and pick from several VPN protocols. This kind of granular control translates to pleasurable user experience all-around. In terms of Kodi, Private Internet Access can help you unblock different types of media streaming and it also encrypts your connection along the way.
Private Internet Access can also be used on Linux, which is a nice bonus. So, if you plan to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi, you can utilize this VPN. To learn more, here’s our review of Private Internet Access.
There is a common misconception that VPNs are made for advanced computer users. Even though their name (Virtual Private Networks) might sound a bit intimidating, there’s nothing to worry about. VPNs have become incredibly user-friendly. To help you to understand this whole situation a bit better, we’ll start with the basics. Let’s jump right in.
What is Kodi?
At its core, Kodi is a free-of-charge software that is designed with home entertainment in mind. It gives you access to a huge range of movies, music, shows, sporting events and more. Originally created just for Microsoft’s Xbox console, Kodi has since evolved and has an active community that is constantly creating add-ons to further enhance the user experience.
This application is managed by a non-profit organization as open-source software. This is why hundreds of software developers have been involved in creating a uniquely designed platform. The result is the ability to create a completely customized user experience. When talking about Kodi, we mustn’t forget to mention hundreds of popular addons, as well as customized Kodi builds designed for different types of devices and platforms.
With the ability to work on a huge range of devices, from the Amazon Fire TV Stick to your Android smartphone, you can build an incredible entertainment system in just a few minutes. For more information, we strongly recommend reading our Ultimate Guide to Kodi, where you’ll find the information you need to get started.
Is Kodi Legal to Use?
By now, we have talked about what is Kodi and how to keep your browsing protected by using a VPN. Naturally, many of you will be asking why is there a need to obscure your usage of Kodi. In other words, is Kodi legal to use?
You should know that Kodi is perfectly legal to use. However, you should also know that there are some technicalities. At its core, Kodi can be used to locally store and play media files – that you already own. The problem arises when using third-party addons. In general, they offer content from several sources around the Web, which might be deemed illegal in some countries. Media streaming links that rely on BitTorrent protocol are an example of this. For more information about this, we recommend reading TechNadu’s article on how to use Kodi legally.
Aside from accessing geo-restricted content, a good VPN also keeps you 100% safe from any online detection. This means that your ISP won’t be able to track you. Therefore, you shouldn’t expect any legal consequences no matter what kinds of addons you plan on using. Still, you need to pick the best VPN for Kodi – which is why we are here to help.
What Are VPN Applications?
In general, VPN applications are not integrated with Kodi. Instead, both of these are standalone applications but they help each other. Once you install a VPN and connect to a remote server, all your Internet traffic will alter. Here’s what happens once you launch and activate your VPN:
- Your IP address changes. This is perhaps the most important thing when using a VPN with Kodi. Since a certain portion of online content can be geo-restricted, VPN breaks down those barriers. That’s how you can watch Netflix abroad, or other US-based media streaming services like Showtime Anytime, CBS All Access, Hulu, and others.
- Your Web connection becomes encrypted. Since all your traffic goes through a remote server, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) won’t be able to make sense of it. This is how you can make sure that your Internet traffic is 100% safe and away from prying eyes.
As you can see, VPN applications come with multiple benefits. Even if you don’t want to access restricted content on the Web, they can safeguard your computer from malware and digital intrusions of privacy. It can be said that VPNs have become a necessity these days.
How to Install a VPN on Kodi?
There are several possible ways to install VPN on Kodi – depending on which platform and device you’re using. Here are some general guidelines;
- First and foremost, you need to select a VPN and have an active subscription. Once again, we’d like to recommend ExpressVPN as this is the VPN of our choice. TechNadu’s editorial team consists of ExpressVPN users, which turned out to perfectly complement Kodi.
- Next, you need to install the chosen VPN on your device. This is done in different ways for different platforms. However, it’s important to know if the chosen VPN supports your platform of choice which could be Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, or any other.
- Once you have the VPN installed, you need to launch the application.
- Now, connect to any secure server. After a few moments, the connection will be finalized and all your Web traffic will be encrypted and hidden from this moment on.
- Finally, open Kodi and use it just like you would use it normally.
To get much more detailed information all of the steps explained above, we have a dedicated article for you. So, learn more about how to install a VPN on Kodi.
Why Should You Use a VPN with Kodi?
As you can see by now, VPNs are the best way to unlock Kodi’s full potential. Even though you will be able to use Kodi’s addons even without a VPN, you will always feel a certain limitation. After all, even if you do your best to stay on the legal side of the law, you can never tell from where certain streaming links come from. So, it’s safe to say that VPNs and Kodi go hand in hand.
It is also important to know that VPNs are quite simple applications. You don’t need to have any experience in this field – where even complete newbies won’t have any hard time. In addition to that, VPNs can be installed on a wide range of systems. We know that many of you are using Kodi on computers, smartphones, tablets, and even smart TVs. The best VPN for Kodi will have a native application for each of these platforms – making it a pleasure to use.
Are There Any Cons to Using VPNs?
Just like any other type of software, VPNs are not perfect. They do have certain drawbacks that might feel frustrating at times. However, this is where this article comes into play. By using the best VPN for Kodi, you can either minimize or eliminate these drawbacks. Here are some of the potentials downsides. And if you’d like to learn more, here’s an in-depth overview of the pros and cons of VPNs.
- VPNs can affect your Internet connection speed. Some throttling can occur since your Web traffic will need to ‘travel more’ through a VPN server. A good VPN won’t even make your notice this throttling.
- Some say that using a VPN is complicated. Once again, the best VPNs are incredibly simple, eliminating this claim.
- Not every VPN is compatible ever popular platform. So, if you’re using Kodi on your smart TV, you need to make 100% sure that there’s a native VPN application.
Is It Legal to Use VPNs With Kodi?
In its essence, VPNs support your right to privacy. Therefore, VPNs are legal in most countries. As you can imagine, there are some gray areas. Not every country has a set of laws that dictate how you can consume digital content. This is why, based on their country of origin, some VPNs still might keep logs of your activity. Still, these VPNs don’t hide this fact – which is usually clearly stated on their websites. Even if a VPN has some records of your personal data, it can give it over to a government agency only with a valid warranty.
How to Choose the Best Kodi VPN in 2019?
If you’re still unsure about which VPN provider to go with, we’d like to provide our opinion. When it comes to the best VPN for Kodi – our top pick is ExpressVPN. However, if you’d like to explore more options, here are some helpful guidelines.
- Device Support – How many devices do you plan to keep secure? Today, there are so many devices you can use Kodi on – your TV, laptop, tablet, phone, the list goes on. So, make sure to check two things. First, make sure that the chosen VPN supports your primary platform. Also, make sure that you can use multiple devices using a single subscription.
- Fast Speeds & Performance – When it comes to streaming, speed is vital. One of the drawbacks of using a VPN service is that it can slow down your connection. So, you can check our hands-on review, where we test the speed of each VPN.
- Encryption Protocols – You want your VPN to keep you protected at all times and you want to know what kind of encryption they bring. Lucky for you, all our recommendations bring at least the stand 256-bit AES encryption.
- Privacy Rules – While some VPNs might log your information, these won’t be personal details. The best VPNs have a no-logs policy.
- Customer Support – For those that are new to VPNs, customer support is vital. In the best case scenario, you need a VPN that has a dedicated team on hand 24/7 to answer your questions as soon as you have them.
- Price & Value – Generally speaking, monthly subscriptions are highly priced. That’s why making sure you’ve got the right pick is imperative. This allows you to buy a long-time plan which can save you quite a bit of money.
- Money-Back Guarantees – While we’re on the subject of money, you must know that VPNs offer money-back guarantees. These can range from 3 days up to 30 days. If you’re not happy with the chosen Kodi VPN, you have every return to have your money returned.
Before we let you go, we’d like to provide a few additional resources. Hopefully, these will bring you closer to VPNs and the technology that backs them up.
- If you’d like to explore more options, we have a comprehensive article on the best VPNs on the market.
- There is a number of common misconceptions about VPN applications. So, learn more about the most common VPN myths.
- Finally, here’s additional information about split tunneling and VPN protocols. Even if you don’t plan on becoming an advanced user, it’s always a good idea to learn some technical terms.
We sincerely hope that you’ve found this article to be helpful. Therefore, this is where we’d like to conclude our guide on the best VPN for Kodi in 2019. In case of any additional questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.