Kodi is a home theater software for playing all your favorite videos, movies, shows, music, photos, and more. Like many similar platforms, it has geo-blocks in place for most of its add-ons, restricting its features and services depending on your location. For instance, if you want to use certain US-based add-ons like Crackle or Pluto TV but you're located in the UK, they will be unavailable to you. For complete, unrestricted access to the service, you need to use a Kodi VPN.
The best VPN for streaming allows you to unblock any add-on to maximize Kodi’s potential and watch all the TV, movies, and other video content you'd like. With powerful VPNs like those recommended here, you'll be able to enjoy Kodi in 4K without any buffering or throttling issues.
Additionally, the best VPN providers have strong security and privacy measures in place to keep you safe and offer peace of mind while you stream or surf the Web.
This article presents the 7 best Kodi VPNs and provides a step-by-step guide on how to set up your VPN. We also explain why you need a VPN for Kodi and offer some troubleshooting tips to try if your VPN doesn't work properly with the theater software. If you want to learn more about Kodi itself, check out our “What is Kodi” article for a deeper dive.
Best Kodi VPNs - Our Shortlist
- NordVPN – Our #1-Rated Best VPN for Kodi
- Surfshark – Best Kodi VPN with Unlimited Connections
- ExpressVPN – Top VPN for Privacy and Security
- CyberGhost VPN – Best VPN for Unblocking Kodi Add-ons
- IPVanish – Suitable VPN for Beginners
- Private Internet Access – Best Kodi VPN for Advanced Users
- Ivacy VPN – Best Budget-Friendly VPN for Streaming
How to Use a VPN with Kodi
To use a VPN with Kodi, you must install the VPN app on the device you'll use for Kodi. VPNs can't be installed directly on Kodi unless there’s an add-on for the VPN you choose, which is rare. We always recommend using Kodi and a VPN as two separate applications. Here's what you'll need to do:
- Subscribe to a suitable VPN for Kodi (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on your device(s).
- Open the app and sign into your VPN account.
- Connect to a VPN server in a country whose Kodi add-on you want to use.
- Make sure to enable “Unknown Sources” on Kodi.
- Now, you can launch Kodi and install any add-on you need!
Even though the process for setting up Kodi is straightforward, it might differ a little based on which devices you use. Check out our guide to learn how to set up a VPN on Kodi for many different devices and operating systems.
Best VPN for Kodi
To find the best VPN for Kodi, you'll want to find one compatible with the wide range of devices Kodi can be downloaded on. Make sure the VPN you choose has strong content-unblocking capabilities so you can unblock all Kodi add-ons and watch whatever content you'd like. Your VPN should also offer a wide server network with super-fast speeds so you can access add-ons available in many different countries.
Based on the above criteria, these are the 7 best Kodi VPNs:
|Get NordVPN Now|| |
NordVPN puts a lot of emphasis on privacy and security. However, this is a very capable VPN for streaming as well. If you pair it with Kodi, you’ll get privacy protection and content unblocking - in a simple-to-use package.
Supported Platforms (Kodi-Compatible): Desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux), mobile (Android, iOS), media streaming devices (Android TV, Fire TV), and routers.
User Interface: It would be an understatement to say that NordVPN is a joy to use. Its home screen consists of a large interactive map. Using this map, you can easily connect to any server by letting NordVPN pick the most suitable one. Of course, you could also pick a server manually by choosing a specific server based on its location. The same applies to other versions of NordVPN as well, including those made for mobile devices.
Features: NordVPN has been doing plenty of work in the last year to overhaul its (already excellent) service. It now offers colocated servers, owned and managed by the VPN itself. It also logs no private data, as numerous audits have proven. NordVPN provides a kill-switch, but it doesn't offer split-tunneling right now, which is perhaps its only downside.
Media Streaming / Content Unblocking: NordVPN has the power to unblock just about any website and media streaming platform. The same applies to Kodi. However, we do recommend talking to NordVPN's support team, asking them about the best servers for addons you plan to unblock. They'll provide you with a list of servers that you can try, which makes unblocking Kodi's content easy.
Protocols: You'll find OpenVPN here, in addition to IKEv2/IPSec. Earlier this year, NordVPN also implemented its own spin on the WireGuard protocol, called NordLynx. It's available across the board and has the power to unblock websites while not affecting your Web connection speed.
Servers: At the moment, NordVPN has close to 5,500 servers in around 60 countries. For a long time now, this has been one of the leading VPNs in terms of its network size. And aside from offering regular servers, you'll find specialized options here. There are double-VPN servers, obfuscated ones, as well as those that provide P2P and Onion-Over-VPN traffic. So, plenty of options overall.
Settings: NordVPN's settings panel is a joy to use. You'll see a highly polished interface that lets you pick a different VPN protocol, instruct the VPN to launch on system startup, enable 'CyberSec' (an ad- and malware-blocking feature), set up the VPN's kill-switch, and more. With that said, it's clear that NordVPN will make even the most demand users happy.
Support: This is yet another reason why NordVPN is one of the best VPN for Kodi. You can chat live with its customer support team, send emails, open support tickets, and more. We also need to praise NordVPN's technical documentation. Lastly, there's a very informative blog, as well.
Surfshark is a fast-developing VPN for Kodi with servers in 100 countries. Since it works great for media streaming (due to its ultra-fast performance), it’s no wonder that it makes perfect sense to utilize its power to unblock Kodi.
Supported Platforms (Kodi-Compatible): Desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux), mobile (Android, iOS), media streaming devices (Android TV, Fire TV), and routers.
User Interface: Surfshark caters to different groups of users by offering a customizable interface. You can use its compact UI to connect to the fastest (nearest) server or pick any of your previously used servers. Once you expand its interface, additional information appears. You will get to choose a server manually, check its current load (status), mark servers as you favorites, and more. Connecting and disconnecting from servers is done instantly.
Features: There are plenty of unique features found in Surfshark, suitable both for Kodi streaming and general use. This VPN comes with unmetered connections, so there's no limit on how many devices you can use. Then, there's a 'Whitelister' feature, which is basically split-tunneling. Surfshark can also get rid of ads, trackers, and malware. And on Android, it comes with GPS spoofing as well.
Media Streaming / Content Unblocking: Based on our hands-on tests, Surfshark unblocks pretty much any media streaming platform out there. This includes Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu, Prime Video, and plenty more. In terms of Kodi, you should be able to unblock the majority of both official and unofficial addons, which is a huge benefit.
Protocols: This VPN comes with only two protocols - OpenVPN and IKEv2. Even though it doesn't have a vast number of protocols, it uses the most secure ones. Keep in mind that these are coupled with AES-256, an incredibly strong type of encryption. Therefore, you'll get to unblock Kodi addons while being 100% safe and protected online.
Servers: During the last couple of months, Surfshark has added a whole army of servers to its fleet. It currently has 3,000+ servers spread across 100+ countries.
Settings: Surfshark allows you to customize various aspects of your user experience. For example, you'll get to pick a different protocol, set the VPN to auto-launch and auto-connect on startup, enable its kill-switch, create a list of trusted networks, and more. We're sure that both beginners and advanced users alike will be happy with this VPN.
Support: Even though Surfshark is a relatively new VPN service, it covers everything you'll need if you ever get stuck. There's live-chat on its website, and you can submit a support ticket or send an email. Then, know that this VPN comes with a rich knowledge base, as well as plenty of frequently asked questions.
Without any doubt, ExpressVPN is the best Kodi VPN available today. As you’re about to see, this is the only VPN that checks all the right boxes. It works on any device, it’s easy to use, unblocks practically any Kodi add-on, while protecting your privacy as well.
Supported Platforms (Kodi-Compatible): Desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome OS), mobile (Android, iOS), streaming devices (Fire OS, Android TV), and a wide range of routers.
User Interface: ExpressVPN offers a very simple-to-use interface. Using its home screen, you can connect to any of its servers (by clicking on the 'three dots' icon). This will reveal the list of recommended locations, but you can pick any server manually as well. Diving deeper into the VPN is done using the 'hamburger' button. This is where you can run a speed test, tinker with the VPN's preferences, as well as consult ExpressVPN's help section.
Features: This is one of the most feature-packed VPNs out there. And on top of that, ExpressVPN isn't afraid to invest in innovations. For example, the VPN's TrustedServer feature eliminates any risk of anyone getting to your private data. It also features high-end protocols and AES-256 encryption, the strongest type of commercially available encryption. Let's not forget that ExpressVPN now allows up to five simultaneous connections, and it's also a verified no-logs VPN provider. Aside from that, a kill-switch and split-tunneling are on offer. So, pretty comprehensive overall.
Media Streaming / Content Unblocking: Considering that it's our top pick for the best VPN for Kodi, ExpressVPN doesn't disappoint when it comes to media streaming. We never managed to find an addon that can't be unblocked via this VPN. And if you want to use it outside of Kodi, know that ExpressVPN works with Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus, Hulu, and more.
Protocols: This VPN is primarily powered by OpenVPN, which is currently the most secure VPN protocol available. You get both UDP and TCP variants of OpenVPN. IKEv2 is on offer, as well as IPSec/L2TP. Lastly, this VPN is developing its proprietary protocol right now (called Lightway), currently available on Android, Windows, Linux, and routers.
Servers: At the moment, this VPN offers 3,000+ servers, spread across 100+ countries and 160 locations. Its servers are distributed throughout the world evenly, so you should have no problem finding a nearby server. In turn, this should help you achieve fast Web connection speeds.
Settings: Diving into this VPN's settings will allow you to fine-tune your user experience. ExpressVPN allows you to launch it on startup, set up split tunneling, pick a different protocol, and more. This is especially useful for Kodi, as you can achieve ultra-fast performance and effortless media streaming by fine-tuning these settings.
Support: Besides accessing help-related resources from within the app, ExpressVPN's website is also a treasure trove of useful content. You can contact the VPN via live-chat (24/7), create a support ticket, or send an email. No matter which method you pick, we're sure your questions will be answered in record time.
CyberGhost is a peculiar Kodi VPN, as it brings servers optimized for media streaming. So, you’ll get to unblock even the toughest Kodi add-ons. However, you can also use it for torrenting, Web browsing, and even gaming. So, it’s quite versatile overall.
Supported Platforms (Kodi-Compatible): Desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux), mobile (iOS, Android), media streaming devices (Android TV, Fire TV), smart TVs (LG, Samsung), and a wide range of routers.
User Interface: CyberGhost VPN has always been known for its user-friendly interface. Once you install it, you'll first see its compact UI, using which you can connect to select locations (including the most suitable one, based on your location). However, once you expand this UI, plenty of additional options appear. You can filter the available servers by their purpose (downloading and streaming), review them manually, and more. With that said, know that CyberGhost can be as straightforward or as complex as you need it to be.
Features: We could spend quite some time listing CyberGhost's features. This VPN for Kodi is capable of blocking ads, malicious websites, and online tracking. It also comes with an automated HTTP redirection, and you can even use it to compress Web data. Then, let's not forget that CyberGhost VPN brings truly anonymous dedicated IPs. And on top of everything else, this is a highly transparent VPN built upon its no-logs policy.
Media Streaming / Content Unblocking: No matter which Kodi addons you use, know that CyberGhost will help you secure your Web traffic while unblocking content. Of course, this goes beyond Kodi, as CyberGhost VPN works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Prime Video, and a huge number of other platforms.
Protocols: There's a full range of protocols available here. You get OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, and WireGuard. Even though OpenVPN will help you secure your traffic while also unblocking media content, WireGuard is an exciting alternative. This is a newer, more efficient protocol that brings increased performance.
Servers: For a long time now, this VPN has been one of the VPNs with the highest number of servers. More precisely, you'll find 9,000+ servers here. These are found in 90+ countries, across 115+ locations. This gives you plenty of freedom when choosing a server, unblocking content, and maintaining the speed of your Web connection.
Settings: This VPN allows you to fine-tune your experience, but not by much. For example, its settings panel lets you check for updates, review your account details, and run diagnostic tests. However, certain fine-tuning is possible within the application's interface. This is where you can enable its 'extra' features, set up split-tunneling, and more.
Support: CyberGhost VPN is one of the most popular VPNs worldwide. Therefore, it's not surprising to know that it offers many ways to get help. You could chat with its agents live, submit a support ticket, send an email, or check the VPN's documentation. There's also a very informative blog, teaching you about the latest digital events that might affect your privacy.
Previously, we highlighted a beginners-friendly VPN. However, if you’re a more advanced user, you’ll appreciate what Private Internet Access offers. This is a highly advanced VPN that works great with Kodi, giving you a plethora of options to customize.
Supported Platforms (Kodi-Compatible): Desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux), mobile (Android, iOS), media streaming devices (Android TV, Fire TV), and routers.
User Interface: This VPN for Kodi has one of the most polished UIs overall. Its home screen presents a series of information regarding your Web connection and your chosen server. In case you're an advanced VPN user, you're going to love what you'll find here. Connecting to servers is done instantly, and there are handy shortcuts for enabling features like port forwarding, LAN support, switching between different themes, and plenty more.
Features: You'll find numerous useful features here. For example, PIA blocks ads, trackers, and malware. It comes with P2P support as well. And on top of that, it logs no data, which means that your digital privacy will be safeguarded. Let's not forget to mention that PIA has recently open-sourced its Android app with other apps to follow. Kodi users can also take advantage of PIA's kill-switch and split-tunneling.
Media Streaming / Content Unblocking: Based on our tests, PIA is capable of unblocking a wide range of Kodi addons. And outside of Kodi, this VPN works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more. Even though it's not the most capable VPN in terms of media streaming, it brings more than enough regarding what an average home user needs.
Protocols: As you can expect, PIA comes with OpenVPN. However, PPTP and L2TP/IPSec are on offer as well. Back in March 2020, PIA began beta-testing the WireGuard protocol. Since then, the testing has concluded, and WireGuard is now available on both desktop and mobile platforms.
Servers: Overall, PIA has more than 35,000 VPN and proxy servers. Many of those are PIA's “next-gen” servers, based on an innovative infrastructure. Even before, PIA was known for its speed and performance, which has become even more prominent with the launch of its next-gen network. Lastly, know that PIA's network spans across 80+ countries and 100+ locations.
Settings: If you're an experienced VPN user, PIA's settings panel will surprise you in the most unexpected way possible. This is where you can dig into your VPN connection, making sure it's fine-tuned and customized. You'll get to split-tunnel your connection, pick and then fine-tune VPN protocols, enable/disable the VPN's kill-switch, set up additional proxies, and more.
Support: In the past, we used to talk about PIA's half-baked customer support. However, those days are well behind us now. Private Internet Access now offers live-chat via its website, in addition to a completely overhauled customer support system. You'll get to read guides and news, in addition to other types of useful resources.
A reliable Kodi VPN doesn’t have to be overly complex to use, and IPVanish is the perfect example of that. This isn’t the most powerful VPN out there, but its bigger strength is that you can use it right out of the box, without any customization needed.
Supported Platforms (Kodi-Compatible): Desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux), mobile (Android, iOS), media streaming devices (Fire OS, Android TV), and routers.
User Interface: This VPN doesn't have the most polished interface, but it gets the job done even for first-time users. The home page of IPVanish comes with three tabs. The 'Quick Connect' tab lets you connect to the most suitable server based on the selected country. The 'Server List' tab allows you to manually find a server (from a list or through a map). Lastly, the 'Account' tab gives you a handy overview of your subscription. Quite simple yet effective.
Features: IPVanish is a powerful all-around VPN for Kodi. It's dedicated to evolving its service at a rapid pace. As a result, this is now a no-logs VPN service that offers unmetered connections. Also, know that there's a fully automated kill-switch. However, split-tunneling is available on Android and Fire OS only.
Media Streaming / Content Unblocking: Based on our tests, this VPN works with the US version of Netflix. Sadly, that's about it when it comes to media streaming services. However, in terms of Kodi, IPVanish is a surprisingly powerful option capable of unblocking the majority of official and unofficial Kodi addons.
Protocols: By default, IPVanish uses OpenVPN, which isn't surprising. However, don't forget to check its additional protocols, as plenty is on offer. We're talking about IKEv2, L2TP, and IPSec. Coupled with AES-256 encryption, all of those protocols should be capable enough to safeguard even the most private of your data. Of course, content unblocking works across those protocols as well.
Servers: During the last year, IPVanish has been adding new servers every now and then. Right now, it offers more than 2,000 servers, spread across 75+ locations. This VPN's server network has 40,000+ IP addresses, which gives you a glimpse into its size.
Settings: Not many VPNs manage to strike the right balance between simplicity and complexity. When it comes to IPVanish, this is clearly visible via its settings panel. You'll get to decide whether IPVanish should auto-launch and auto-connect upon system startup. You can also enable the VPN's kill switch here, pick a different server, scramble your traffic, and more.
Support: This is yet another area that IPVanish has improved recently. Aside from checking its rich library of help-related resources, you can talk to IPVanish's agents live. You can also send an email, create a support ticket, or even call the VPN's support via your phone (available in select countries).
If you’re on a limited budget, Ivacy comes as an interesting option. It even offers a Kodi add-on (however, it’s not the most stable add-on out there), which is a rare thing to find today. It’s also great for media streaming, in general.
Supported Platforms (Kodi-Compatible): Kodi (itself), Desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux), mobile (iOS, Android), media streaming devices (Android TV, Fire TV), and routers.
User Interface: Ivacy's interface might look a bit intimidating at first. However, once you start using it, you'll see that each of its buttons and terms make sense. On the left, there's a sidebar letting you pick a server based on your planned activity. This includes streaming, downloading, website unblocking, and general Web browsing. Aside from that, you can dive into the application's settings, your user account, and more.
Media Streaming / Content Unblocking: A unique thing about this Kodi VPN is that it offers a dedicated Kodi addon. Even though this sounds nice, we recommend sticking to its native application instead. This is how you'll get to unblock pretty much any streaming platform or addon. Some of the addons that can be unblocked via Ivacy are Crackle, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Fox Sports GO, and numerous others.
Protocols: You'll find a full range of protocols here. This includes OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, IKEv2, and IPSec. Your go-to protocol should be OpenVPN. So, it's good to know that Ivacy VPN offers both TCP and UDP variants of OpenVPN.
Servers: Ivacy VPN brings more than 3,500 servers across 100 locations. This should be more than enough to help you find a nearby server that provides fast performance.
Settings: In many aspects, Ivacy VPN is trying to automate everything. Therefore, if you're new to the world of VPN services, this is something you'll appreciate. An excellent example of that is the VPN's settings panel. It allows you to instruct Ivacy to launch upon system startup, auto-connect at launch, redial if your connection drops, and that's pretty much it.
Support: The fastest way to resolve your issue and have your questions answered is by talking to Ivacy's support agents live. Then, you can consult quick-start guides, frequently asked questions, and more. And of course, you're free to submit a customer support ticket as well.
Why Do I Need a VPN for Kodi?
You need a VPN for Kodi to access all its add-ons and watch any content you want. Most of its add-ons are only available in certain countries, but with a suitable Kodi VPN, you can change your virtual location and access your desired add-ons.
Other reasons why you need a VPN for Kodi include the following:
- Privacy and Security – If you want to use Kodi without others knowing what you watch, you'll need strong security and privacy measures. A VPN can ensure that your location, personal information, and online activity are hidden. With a suitable VPN, you'll also be able to avoid viruses and malware-filled add-ons. Furthermore, a VPN can protect you from advertisers trying to get a hold of your information.
- ISP-Induced Throttling – Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can see everything you do online. As a result, it can (and does) slow down your Internet when it notices you're using large amounts of data to stream movies, shows, music, etc. Since a VPN hides your online activity from third parties, it will eliminate this issue.
- Unblock Geo-Restricted Add-Ons – If you want to use Kodi add-ons like Crackle, Pluto TV, Hulu, etc., you need to be located in the US to access them. However, with any of the Kodi VPN providers we recommend, you'll be able to connect to a US-based server and use these add-ons and many more without a problem.
- Bypass Sports Blackouts – US citizens are unfortunately familiar with sports blackouts where their favorite sporting events are only accessible in certain media markets. A VPN can solve this issue. Simply connect to a server in a location where the game you want to watch is available.
If you want a comprehensive list of the many reasons why you must use a VPN for Kodi, you can read more in our other article. You can also learn more about the myriad benefits that VPNs provide by checking our guide, which covers why VPNs are useful for Kodi users.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Kodi?
You have every right to be picky when choosing a VPN. And the good news is - there are plenty of affordable and powerful VPNs out there. So, here are the most important aspects to focus on while choosing a VPN designed for Kodi.
- Platform Compatibility: Keep in mind that VPNs are standalone apps. Considering that Kodi is available on many platforms, you'll need a VPN compatible with your platform of choice. Luckily for you, both Kodi and VPNs can be installed on all desktop and mobile platforms, as well as media streaming devices and routers.
- Media Streaming & Geo-Unblocking: If you're using Kodi add-ons, this application basically acts as a media streaming platform. Consulting hands-on reviews to get this information seems imperative, and you should not trust any marketing messages on VPN websites.
- Server Network Size: Generally speaking, VPNs with plenty of servers are more likely to bring streaming-friendly speeds. That's because those VPNs accommodate more users at once. You can also consult our guide to the fastest VPN services.
- Money-Back Guarantees: Many VPNs offer a timeframe of up to 30 days to get your money back. To be on the safe side, pick a VPN that guarantees to refund your money if you're not happy with its performance.
If you’re wondering whether it’s safe to use Kodi without a VPN, our answer is - no. That said, make sure to do your research properly, which will go a long way. And then, make sure to learn how to use a VPN with Kodi.
What Devices Work with Kodi?
Kodi offers apps for pretty much every desktop or mobile platform. So, let's take a closer look at those platforms, as well as how to get started with Kodi by installing the application.
- Windows - Kodi runs on any Windows PCs made in the last decade. So, you don't need a powerful computer. Here's how to install Kodi on Windows.
- Mac - If you have Mac OS X 10.9 and newer (and we're sure you have), running Kodi should not be a problem. Here's our guide to installing Kodi on macOS.
- Linux - That's right, Kodi runs perfectly fine on many Linux flavors. Some of those even offer Kodi built-in. Find more about how to install Kodi on Linux.
- iPhone/iPad - Sadly, a bit of tinkering is required to install Kodi on iOS, as it's not offered via the App Store. Learn how to install Kodi on iOS using our guide.
- Android - Due to Android's open nature, there are several options for installing Kodi on Android. For example, you can use the Play Store or sideload the app.
- Chrome OS - Kodi can be found on the Play Store, or you can sideload its app. Here's all you need to know about installing Kodi on Chromebooks.
- Amazon Fire TV - Kodi and Amazon's Fire TV are a match made in heaven, letting you access tons of content. That said, learn how to install Kodi on Firestick.
- Xbox - It's true; You can install Kodi on Xbox. Kodi is available on the Xbox store, making this process as simple and as straightforward as it can be.
- Raspberry Pi - If you're into DIY projects, learning how to install Kodi on a Raspberry Pi can be a highly educational process, as you'll be assembling your own computer.
- Nvidia Shield TV - Installing Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV is done just like on any Android TV device. Access the Play Store and download Kodi from there.
- Smart TVs - Depending on your TV's operating system, you might be able to use Kodi natively. To dive into the specifics, here's how to install Kodi on smart TVs.
- Roku - Lastly, there are some workarounds for those who use Roku. You'll find more info in our guide to installing Kodi on Roku.
How to Download and Install a VPN for Kodi?
Now, it's time to talk about installing a VPN on your device. Once you do so, you'll get to connect to its servers and unblock content. So, here's how to download and install a VPN on the most popular platforms available now.
- Windows - Just about any VPN offers a native Windows app, with multiple protocols on offer. Here's all you need to know on how to install a VPN on Windows.
- macOS - Getting started with a macOS VPN requires you to download a DNG file, and then copy and paste the VPN's icon to the Applications folder. Here's how to install a VPN on a Mac.
- Linux - Plenty of VPNs come with either command-based or GUI apps for Linux. There are multiple methods to install a VPN on Linux, so make sure to use the provided link.
- Fire TV - Reputable VPNs often come with native Fire TV apps, making their installation as simple as possible. Learn more about installing a VPN on a Firestick.
- Android (Android TV) - Aside from using the Play Store, you can also sideload a VPN. These methods are described in our guide on how to install a VPN on Android.
- iPhone & iPad - iOS users can rely on the App Store or set up a VPN manually via the Settings app, as explained in our guide to installing a VPN on iOS.
- Chrome OS - Depending on your Chrome OS version, you can rely on the App Store, use a Linux app, or even sideload a VPN. For more info, turn to our guide on installing a VPN on a Chromebook.
- Routers (& Other Devices) - Lastly, a good option is to learn how to install a VPN on a router. This will help you cover your entire household at once, which then makes using Kodi a breeze.
As you can see, Kodi works on a huge range of devices. On top of that, so do Kodi add-ons. In fact, there are multiple ways to expand your add-on library beyond using what’s found in Kodi’s official repository.
What's the Fastest VPN for Streaming Movies, TV Shows, and Sports on Kodi Without Buffering?
Right now, the fastest VPN for Kodi is ExpressVPN - capable of letting you stream even in 4K without buffering. Based on our tests, ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN right now.
There are two reasons why the VPNs mentioned above are the fastest VPNs for Kodi. First, this is due to the size of their server networks. By offering servers across the world, those VPNs allow you to find a nearby server, which provides you with fast performance.
Then, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark are investing heavily in their infrastructure. Considering that they bring multiple protocols, you can fine-tune your VPN connection to make it as fast as possible (with minimal throttling).
Keep in mind that there's plenty you can do to optimize your chosen VPN. If you'd like to check our tips, here's how to speed up a slow VPN.
Which VPN Server/Country Works Best for Kodi?
This greatly depends on your needs and expectations. So, let's go over a couple of different options, to help point you in the right direction.
- If You Need the Fastest Possible Speed: In this case, connect to the closest server available. This could be a server in your own country, or in a neighboring country. As your data won't have to travel far, your VPN won't decrease your speed.
- If You Want to Protect Your Personal Data: There's a handful of countries that are considered favorable in terms of protecting your data. We have Switzerland, Iceland, and Spain as perhaps the best examples. However, this also depends on your VPN's servers, as you might find specialized options that bring high-end encryption on specific servers.
- If You Want to Unblock Geo-Restricted Content: To unblock a streaming service available in the US, you have no other choice than to connect to a US-based server. Keep in mind that if you connect to an overly remote country, your Web connection speed might decrease.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Kodi?
No, you can’t use a free VPN for Kodi. That’s because free VPNs come with limited performance, and they also have a limited number of servers. That means free VPNs aren’t suitable for Kodi (or streaming, in general).
Using Kodi add-ons that you'll be using a lot of bandwidth. You don't need to have a very fast Web connection, but the one you have needs to be free of any data caps. So, when it comes to free VPN services, you won't find one without serious restrictions.
On top of that, free VPNs come with very questionable policies, as they typically generate revenue by collecting and selling your private information. In other words, make sure you're using a trustworthy VPN if you plan on protecting your Kodi-related activities - and that can hardly be a free VPN service.
Kodi Not Working with a VPN – How to Fix?
Kodi might not work with your VPN because of an unstable Internet connection, which is one of the most common issues users have experienced with their Kodi VPNs. To resolve this, you can try rebooting your router, checking if you have an Internet connection when your VPN is on, restarting your device, and restarting Kodi.
If none of these fixes make your VPN work properly with Kodi, there are other potential reasons for this, such as:
- Your Date and Time Are Different – If the date and time on your VPN don't match the ones on your device, your VPN might not work with Kodi.
- Overcrowded VPN Server – The VPN server that you're connected to might be overcrowded, so try connecting to another server. If the other server works, you'll know just one server isn't working, not the VPN itself. Certain servers can have connection problems due to other technical issues aside from overcrowding. Switching servers will solve these, too.
- Firewall Issues – Your VPN might have been blocked by a firewall or an antivirus on your device. If this is the case, you'll need to disable your firewall or uninstall your antivirus program.
There are many other issues that you could experience with your Kodi VPN in addition to the ones listed above. You can find more info about those in our central guide on the possible fixes from when Kodi doesn’t work.
If you want to enjoy Kodi to the fullest, you'll need a VPN because many of its add-ons are only available in certain countries. With a VPN, you can easily change your location and watch your favorite content from any country you'd like.
We recommend NordVPN as the top VPN for Kodi because of its military-grade security and privacy protocols, wide server network, and strong content-unblocking capabilities. This powerful VPN will easily give you access to all Kodi's add-ons and allow you to stream whatever you want in 4K without buffering issues.
Does Kodi Have a VPN?
Kodi does not have a built-in VPN. There are some VPN add-ons that allow you to use a VPN directly through Kodi's interface, but they are few and far between. It's always best to use Kodi and a separate VPN software side by side.
Will Kodi Work Better with a VPN?
Yes, Kodi will work better with a VPN because you'll be able to use all its features and add-ons without restrictions. Additionally, your data and online activity will be protected and hidden.
Is Kodi Legal and Safe to Use?
Yes, Kodi is legal and safe to use. However, keep in mind that Kodi's creators aren't responsible for third-party add-ons. Therefore, as you can imagine, you need to rely on legal add-ons only.
To learn more, check our guide that explains how to use Kodi legally.
Is It Legal to Use VPNs With Kodi?
Yes, it’s legal to use a VPN with Kodi. However, even if you decide to use a VPN, make sure you’re not accessing Kodi add-ons designed for copyright infringement.
How Do I Add a VPN to Kodi?
To add a VPN to Kodi itself, you have to install a VPN add-on. However, we don't recommend this method because it rarely works properly.
Instead, subscribe to a suitable VPN and install it on your device(s). Then, connect to a VPN server in a country of your choosing. Lastly, launch Kodi and enjoy.
What's the Best VPN for Kodi?
The best VPN for Kodi is NordVPN. It offers excellent privacy services, it has content-unblocking capabilities powerful enough to access all Kodi add-ons, and it's compatible with multiple devices and routers.
What's the Best VPN for LibreELEC?
The best VPN for running Kodi on LibeELEC is NordVPN. It comes with a whole slate of options to allow you to run this VPN on any LibreELEC system.
Do You Need to Jailbreak Your iPhone to Use Kodi?
No, installing Kodi on your iPhone doesn't require you to jailbreak your iPhone. However, you need to have an Apple Developer account to 'sideload' Kodi on an iOS device.
Can You Install a Kodi VPN on a Firestick?
Yes, you can easily install a large number of VPNs on your Firestick. Just pick a VPN that offers a native app listed on the Amazon App Store.
Can You Use Kodi Without a VPN?
Yes, you can still use Kodi even if you don't have a VPN. However, aside from putting your private data in danger, you'll also encounter plenty of geo-blocked content. The only way to resolve those issues is to use a VPN.
That’s all for our guide on the best Kodi VPN services. If you have any questions, let us know via the comments section below. Thank you for reading!