Our editorial team consists of experts and highly passionate users of Kodi – the world’s most popular home theater software. And as you’re about to see, we love spreading our knowledge with fellow Kodi users. This is why we’re going to teach you everything you need to know to get started with this application.
We’ll talk about the things like what is Kodi, how to install it, what are Kodi addons and how to use them, how to configure Kodi in the best way possible, and plenty more. We’ve prepared quite a bit of knowledge to share, so let’s jump right in!
What is Kodi, In The First Place?
At its core, Kodi is a home theater software. This means that it’s designed to play your family movie clips, commercial movies, music, photos, and more. As such, it can be installed on a wide range of devices. This includes computers, smartphones, tablets, media streaming devices, and even compatible smart TVs.
There is also another way to look at Kodi. You probably already have a selection of media stored on your computer. However, these files are stored in different locations. For example, you keep your music in one folder, your movies in another, and your photos in some third-party application. Well, Kodi can replace all of those applications. Instead of having your media library scattered all over your computer, you can keep all your files (and play them) within Kodi. Sounds interesting, right? Keep on reading to learn more.
What Can Kodi Do?
Kodi can store and play a whole bunch of files. This includes video files, music, and photos. However, what’s interesting to note is that Kodi can be used to organize those files as well. This means that Kodi acts as a playable media library.
Once you import the movies (movies and TV shows) you already own, Kodi will add additional meta-information by downloading it from the Web. For example, those are movie posters, information about actors, synopsis, tags, and more. So, if you click on an actor’s name, you can see all your movies where that actor stars. In other words, Kodi is an incredibly intuitive application that does a lot on its own.
Is Kodi Legal to Use?
The short answer is – yes, Kodi is perfectly legal and safe to use. If you decide to install third-party Kodi addons, you need to be sure that you’re streaming from legitimate and legal sources only. Doing otherwise might get you in trouble.
In our article on how to use Kodi legally, we talked about the ‘safe side’ of Kodi, so you might want to check that article out.
Why Are Kodi Users Advised to Use VPNs?
In simple terms, VPNs are applications that keep your Web browsing protected. As such, they create secure Internet connections that can’t be tracked by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). However, the role of VPNs goes beyond that;
- First and foremost, VPNs encrypt your connection. This means that all your Internet traffic is staying private and can’t be read by your ISPs. Here’s what you need to know about VPN encryption;
- In addition, VPNs bring a different set of protocols. Thanks to these, you can watch geo-restricted content and visit websites or stream content that might be censored in your country. Here’s additional info on VPN protocols;
- Finally, you should know that there are free and paid VPN applications. We strongly recommend using a premium VPN (which can be quite affordable) to make sure you’re protected.
When it comes to choosing a VPN, you first need to know about the very best Kodi VPN applications. Then, you can read our VPN Buyer’s Guide to make sure that a chosen VPN fits all your needs. Finally, you can check out how to install VPN on Kodi, the easy way.
What Are Kodi Boxes?
In essence, Kodi boxes are nothing more than Android-powered set-top boxes. Since these devices are powered by Android and usually have access to their respective App Stores, this means that you can install and run Kodi, natively – and watch your content on a large-size TV.
In case you’d like to check out some of the best legal Kodi boxes, please use the provided link. This is where you’ll see the most affordable ways to cut the cord and save money in the long run. In case you pick a media streamer that doesn’t have a remote, don’t worry. Here’s how to setup Kodi remote on iOS and Android.
Is it Legal to Buy a Kodi Box?
Yes, it is completely legal to buy a Kodi box. That’s because it’s completely up to you how you decide to use it. For example, maybe you want a Kodi box so that you can store your own content. Or, you simply don’t want to install Kodi on your own, and you need an already prepared solution. Therefore, you are free to buy a Kodi box – but steer away from problematic addons.
Those who might get into trouble are those who sell Kodi boxes – especially if those devices come equipped with piracy-related addons. For more information, read our article on if it’s legal to buy a Kodi box.
How to Install Kodi on Various Platforms?
As you can imagine, the first step to using Kodi is installing it on your preferred device. This application brings incredibly wide compatibility with different platforms, systems, and devices. It is safe to say that pretty much every popular device is covered. Here are TechNadu’s installation guides.
- Desktop Platforms: You can install Kodi on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Click on any of the links to check out detailed installation guides;
- Mobile Platforms: Kodi can be installed on Android, Chromebook computers, as well as on iOS.
- Media Streaming Devices: Here’s how to install Kodi on Roku, Nvidia Shield TV, Razer Forge TV, Apple TV, and Amazon Firestick devices;
- Gaming Consoles: Since Kodi in available on the Microsoft App Store, you can install Kodi on Xbox One. This goes for both of the currently available models (Xbox One S and X);
- Other Devices: You might be surprised to know that you can install Kodi on Raspberry Pi. In fact, this can a good way to dive into the world of mini-computers since you can build your own from scratch. Finally, you can also install Kodi on compatible smart TV models.
How to Update Kodi On Your Device?
When it comes to updating Kodi, what you need to do is repeat the installation steps. This includes downloading a new version from the Web and installing it over the existing installation. This will update Kodi without deleting your media library files. For more information, make sure to read our guide on how to update Kodi.
How to Create a Media Library in Kodi?
Once you install Kodi on your device of choice, you will be greeted by its beautiful interface. However, the application will be empty in terms of its content. Therefore, the first step is to populate its library with the content your already own. So, let’s take a look at how to create a media library in Kodi.
- First, organize your videos into folders and then import videos to Kodi. Use the provided link to learn how it’s done;
- The same applies to music. Since this application works with a huge variety of music files, you can even play some ‘exotic’ file types. Here’s how to add music to Kodi;
- A certain portion of Kodi users doesn’t know that you can create rich photo libraries and use Kodi to preview them. Learn how to add photos to Kodi.
How to Configure Kodi For Optimal Performance?
Once you have your Kodi up and running, you can visit its Settings Panel and make sure the application runs the way you want it to. For example, this could be setting up a new interface language, making sure your Kodi can ‘speak’ with other devices, and disabling unneeded options.
You can find helpful advice on how to do all of this and more in our Beginner’s Guide to Kodi. If this is the first time you’re using this application, we highly recommend checking out our Beginner’s Guide.
How to Fix Common Kodi Errors?
In general, we don’t expect you to face a lot of troubles with Kodi. The application is highly polished and works great even on older machines. However, certain problems may arise. These can be noticeable when installing a bunch of different addons. In case you’re having any issues with these, here’s what you need to know:
- First, make sure to clear cache on Kodi. Use the provided link to learn how to install an addon named Indigo. This is a very helpful maintenance tool used for clearing the cache;
- Next, there’s also a well-known ‘Failed to Install a Dependency’ error. This one usually happens when installing third-party addons. Use the provided link to check the solution;
- In case you can’t find a solution using our previously mentioned articles, we have another resource for you. Read our Kodi Troubleshooting Guide, where you’ll find a bunch of fixes for the most common issues with this application.
What Are Addons for Kodi?
You can think of addons as apps that run within Kodi. These can do all kinds of things. For example, you can stream media from the Web, watch live TV programs, perform maintenance tasks, or use addons to install other addons.
How to Install Kodi Addons?
There are three ways to install addons for Kodi. Since this depends on an addon, we are dedicated to bringing detailed installation guides for every addon that we review. Here’s what you need to know:
- Kodi brings a large set of official addons. These are approved by the team behind Kodi and they come with a very simple installation method;
- Then, there are unofficial addons. These addons are created by volunteering developers who dedicate their time and effort into creating and maintaining their addons. In addition, you install them from a Web location. In simple terms, they are not the easiest thing to install. However, you’ll see that it’s manageable once you install one or two addons;
- Finally, there’s also a third way to install unofficial addons. You can use the newly launched GitHub browser. Use the provided link to check out that installation method.
IMPORTANT: Before you proceed with downloading and installing addons, you need to make sure that your Kodi accepts third-party software creations. So, make sure to know how to enable unknown sources on Kodi. Use the provided link to read our quick guide.
What Are The Best Kodi Addons Right Now?
There are hundreds of available addons. However, not all of them work as they should. That is where TechNadu comes into play. We test newly released addons and check if they work. If that’s the case, we provide detailed installation instructions so you know how to install them. For starters, we highly recommend you to check out the best Kodi addons you can find at the moment. Then, you can start to expand your collection.
- We have numerous movie-related addons as well as IPTV addons and live TV addons. These let you watch on-demand videos and live-stream TV channels from all around the world. Also, you can check out addons for documentaries;
- Then, there are live sports Kodi addons. In case there’s a sports discipline you like to follow, check out some of the following guides: NFL addons, WWE addons, MLB addons, UFC addons, boxing addons. Finally, you can also watch football on Kodi;
- We also shouldn’t forget to mention carton addons for Kodi, and there are also addons for anime content;
- Next, why not check out some of the niche options? For example, Kodi addons for Chinese movies, Bollywood addons, Korean addons, as well as Tamil Kodi addons;
- Last but not least, here are the best HD video addons. And if your Internet connection is capable enough, you can dive into 4K Kodi addons.
How to Uninstall Kodi Addons?
Even when you think that you’ve found the perfect Kodi addon, you can still find something better around the corner. This is why it’s important to know how to uninstall addons so they don’t take precious space. Here’s our guide on how to uninstall Kodi addons.
What Are Repositories for Kodi?
In case you’ve tried to install any of the previously mentioned addons, you saw that they come with an important requirement. The most important piece of information when installing third-party addons is a Web address (URL). That’s because you instruct your Kodi to use a certain URL to look for a ZIP file. This URL and the ZIP file act as a repository – a place that hosts numerous addons.
Even though they are a complete necessity when installing addons, repositories tend to change over time. They can stop working, forcing you to look for an alternative. This is why, here at TechNadu, we want to bring the latest and the most up-to-date repositories. So, go ahead and check out some of the best repositories for Kodi – recently updated.
What Are Skins for Kodi?
As their name implies, skins bring a fresh coat of paint over your default Kodi UI. Even though we believe that Kodi looks amazing on its own, not all of us like the same things. Since Kodi is based on open-source code, this means that third-party developers are free to contribute. With this said, here’s our guide on the best Kodi skins, freshly updated.
What Are Builds for Kodi?
Builds are combinations of addons and skins. Instead of manually downloading a bunch of addons, you can install one of the available builds. This is how your Kodi will be transformed thanks to an all-new skin, and you will have access to dozens of addons. As you can see, this can save you a lot of time and effort when installing Kodi for the first time.
If you’d like to try a new build, we recommend checking out the best builds for Kodi. This is where you’ll find an up-to-date list of the best builds.
What the Future Holds for Kodi?
In the end, you must be wondering what’s in store Kodi in 2019? Well, since we’ve just recently received Kodi v18.0 Leia, we’re sure that we’ll get plenty of updates for the latest major version of the application. In case you didn’t know, Kodi is a fast-evolving application with a yearly release cycle, so we can expect to learn about Kodi v19.0 pretty soon.
Dear Kodi fans, that’s would be it! We gave our best to explain what is Kodi, and how to take full advantage of this amazing application. In case there’s anything you’d like to add, please use the comments section found below.