The anime culture spreads all over the globe, and that reflects in our online world as well. The same applies to Kodi, which can be your go-to source for anime movies and TV shows. That is why, in this article, we’ll be taking a deep look at the best anime Kodi addons in 2021.
As you’re about to see, we’ve found both premium and free-of-charge options. However, when it comes to streaming anime movies and TV shows via Kodi, we recommend getting a premium subscription, especially if you want the latest anime episodes. Paying a couple of dollars per month will certainly go a long way.
Needless to say, all of the following options were tested by our team. That means you’ll find nothing but fully-working anime Kodi addons in this article. So, let’s get started.
Keep in mind that Kodi 19 ‘Matrix’ is the latest available version of Kodi (during the last couple of months, Kodi 19.1 and Kodi 19.2 were released, focusing on resolving bugs). However, if you haven’t updated Kodi yet, know that the latest version of this application breaks compatibility with a large number of add-ons.
You’ll need to wait for third-party developers to make their add-ons compatible with Kodi 19, which could take a while. We’ve seen some progress recently in the domain of add-ons from Kodi’s official repository. However, the situation is still very problematic for any add-on that comes outside the official Kodi repository.
With that said, if you plan on using plenty of addons, we recommend using Kodi 18.9 for now. That’s because downgrading from Kodi 19 to Kodi 18 can be a very tricky task to accomplish (even impossible in many cases).
How to Find and Install Anime Addons on Kodi?
First, we’d like to teach you how to install anime Kodi addons, which is a process that takes only a few seconds on your time. With that said, you’ll want to do the following.
- Launch Kodi and click on ‘Add-ons‘ using the main menu.
- Then, hover over or click on ‘Download.’ Make sure to pick ‘Video Add-ons.’
- Now, click on the name of the addon you’d like to install. In this case, you can choose from Funimation NOW and YouTube. More on the other recommended addons just below.
- Once you open the addon’s overview, click on ‘Install.’
- Finally, return to the ‘Add-ons‘ section, where you’ll find the newly added add-on(s).
If you need more detailed instructions (along with helpful screenshots), you’ll want to check our guide to installing addons from Kodi’s official repository.
Keep in mind that anime Kodi addons such as Crunchyroll and Netflix come from GitHub (they aren’t found in Kodi’s own repository). To learn how to install those, we offer you our guide to installing addons from GitHub.
TechNadu doesn’t claim any responsibility for how our readers decide to utilize the following software. Please note that we don’t condone sharing pirated content and copyright infringement. TechNadu is not affiliated with the software mentioned in this article in no way.
Make sure to carefully read everything said in this disclaimer and ensure the proper use of the software.
Warning: Why you should ALWAYS USE a VPN with Kodi?
Here are the reasons that you should consider looking at it without SKIPPING.
- Using ILLEGAL Kodi Addons are Dangerous without a VPN: Most of the Kodi users are installing the ILLEGAL Kodi addons on their system to access all the latest movies, TV shows, sports, music, and much more for FREE, than a legal Kodi addon where it has the least content in it. But do you know what? The video content on illegal addons is scraped and copyrighted material. If you are accessing them on Kodi, then your activities will be monitored by your ISP by tracking your IP and gives all the information to the government or companies if they request for it. This will land you in trouble. To stay away from this, you will have to connect to a VPN where it hides your identity by rotating your IP address while streaming Kodi content. This is how you will be safe from the prying eyes.
- Bypass Geo-Restriction: As you probably know, some official addons like BBC iPlayer, NBC Sports, Hulu, IceFilms have geo-location restrictions. This also applies to other addons like Acestream which fetches the data from torrents. To unblock these restrictions, you will have to DEFINITELY use a VPN no matter what.
The above are the 2 reasons that forcing us to recommend a VPN to the Kodi users for safer streaming. In fact, after testing several VPNs for Kodi, we finally came up with a one non-stop solution and that is ExpressVPN, the top-rated Kodi VPN so far.
Limited Time Offer: For our TechNadu readers, there is a 49% OFF on ExpressVPN which includes 3 FREE Months in it.
Best Kodi Anime Addons in 2021
After plenty of research, testing, and anime streaming, we believe that these are the 4 best Kodi anime addons in 2021:
1. Funimation NOW
|Compatible With||Up to Kodi 18.9 (not compatible with Kodi 19).|
|Applicable Geo-Restrictions||Available in the USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.|
|Types of Content Available||A sizeable library of anime movies and TV shows.|
|Read More||How to install Funimation NOW on Kodi|
Since Funimation NOW is available in select countries only, you need a VPN to unblock this streaming service from elsewhere. So, here’s how to watch Funimation NOW from any country.
Funimation NOW is one of the best-looking anime Kodi addons. It comes with a custom UI design and features beautiful transitions and animations. However, we are sure you’ll use this addon due to its high-quality content primarily.
If you opt for a free account, you’ll occasionally see video ads (which can be annoying at times). However, if you decide to upgrade, you’ll need to pay $5.99 per month (or $59.99 per year). That seems like a fair price, considering how much content this platform has.
All streams come in HD and work without any issues. Besides, videos are dubbed in English. It’s easy to see why this addon is at the top of our list of the best Kodi addons for anime, right?
Crunchyroll is available across the world. However, you can learn how to unblock the US version of Crunchyroll if you want to access just about any anime title out there.
In many ways, Crunchyroll is similar to Funimation NOW. It has an incredibly extensive library of content divided into movies and TV shows. The addon is nicely designed and allows different ways of filtering the content.
However, be prepared to occasionally encounter some streaming issues. Sadly, it seems like the Kodi addon isn’t at the top of priorities for this company since the addon is rarely updated. Still, don’t expect any deal-breaking issues.
You can try Crunchyroll free of charge. However, it does come with a subscription priced at $7.99 per month. Finally, you need to know that this addon only works with Premium accounts. In other words, you won’t be able to sign in if you have a free account.
|Compatible With||Up to Kodi 19 ‘Matrix’ (older versions supported as well).|
|Applicable Geo-Restrictions||Available worldwide. Learn how to access the US version of Netflix to get even more titles.|
|Types of Content Available||Over 5,000 movies and TV shows.|
|Download ZIP||Download from GitHub|
|Read More||How to install Netflix on Kodi|
Some of you might be surprised to see Netflix recommended in this article. That’s because not many know that Netflix is investing heavily in producing original anime titles.
At the moment, some of the most popular picks are Devilman Crybaby, Aggretsuko, SWORDGAI, and more. There are also plenty of exclusive titles (not produced by Netflix but offered only via this distribution channel) like Children of the Whales and Little Witch Academia.
The Netflix addon allows you to log in using your existing credentials. You’ll get to browse its entire library, and the addon even supports multiple users. In addition to this, you’ll get to stream its content in up to HD.
We’ll end our list of the best anime Kodi addons in 2021 with YouTube. We’re sure that this platform needs no introduction – as you already know what to expect. Aside from its original content, YouTube can be a great source for older anime movies and TV shows.
The YouTube Kodi addon is also a highly powerful option. You get to use your Google account to log in, manage your favorites, search the platform, and plenty more. The addon has been receiving regular updates during the last couple of months and now works without any performance-related problems.
Anime Kodi Addons Not Working? Try These Solutions!
Installing anime Kodi addons is mostly an effortless process. However, error messages such as “Check the log for more information,” “Something went wrong,” or “Failed to install a dependency” might still pop-up. So, here’s what to do in those cases.
- In many cases, Kodi’s cache files can cause issues with installing addons. These are temporary files that can accumulate over time and make Kodi’s performance slower. With that said, here’s our step-by-step guide on how to clear Kodi’s cache data.
- With each new (incremental or major) version, Kodi brings a group of performance fixes. We don’t recommend using an overly old version of the application, so here’s how to update Kodi. Keep in mind that if you plan to update to Kodi 19, proceed with caution (as explained above).
- And lastly, if you’re having trouble installing addons due to incompatible or broken dependencies, know that we’ve produced a very comprehensive guide to fixing the “Failed to install a dependency” error – with many proven fixes to try.
If you need additional solutions, turn to our central guide on fixing issues with Kodi. That’s where you’ll find a large group of possible solutions to a range of both technical and performance issues.
Which Anime Addons for Kodi No Longer Work or Have Shut Down?
One of the reasons why we don’t recommend “unofficial” Kodi addons is due to their hectic lifecycle. With that said, here are some of the most popular anime Kodi addons that are no longer available to use.
- Anime Incursion
- 9Anime (often broken)
- Exodus (the original version)
- Super Cartoons
So, that would be all on the best Kodi addons for anime in 2021. We made sure to pick only the best options available right now, giving you a combination of free and premium sources. With this said, we’re sure you’ll find an option that works for you. Finally – thanks for reading!