Getting started with using a VPN with Kodi is quite easy. And the best thing is – you can combine the two applications on just about any platform. If you’ve been wondering how to install, setup, and configure a VPN on Kodi – you’ve come to the right place.
First of all, let’s note that there are many reasons why using a VPN with Kodi is imperative. However, to truly reap all those benefits, you’ll want to set up a VPN properly, as well as to understand how this entire setup works.
One done, you’ll get to unlock new types of Kodi addons, adding a huge volume of movies and TV shows to your library – all while being protected on the Web.
Related Content: Why Are VPNs Useful for Kodi Users?
As you can see below, we’ve covered pretty much all of the platforms that Kodi supports. So, use the following table of contents to jump to the segment you’re interested in exploring. Or even better, use this guide to install VPN on multiple systems – and keep your Kodi-related activities protected around-the-clock.
Table of Contents
How to Install a VPN for Kodi on Windows
There are multiple methods of setting up a VPN on Windows. However, we’ll explain the most straightforward one (that produces the best results). So, here’s how to set-up a Kodi VPN on your Windows computer.
- Step 1: First of all, you need an active VPN subscription. So, make sure to check the best VPNs for Windows by using the provided link. When it comes to Kodi, we recommend ExpressVPN for this purpose, the best all-around VPN on the market.
- Step 2: Once you land on ExpressVPN’s website, click on the prominent red button, you’ll see there. Select a plan that works for you and then finish the sign-up procedure.
- Step 3: Return to ExpressVPN’s home page and click on ‘My Account.’ Log-in using your credentials to access your user account dashboard.
- Step 4: Your OS should be automatically recognized. This means that you can click on the ‘Download for Windows’ button or select ‘Windows’ on the right side of the screen.
- Step 5: While ExpressVPN is being downloaded, a new Web page will open – with your ExpressVPN activation code. Make sure to keep that page open in the background.
- Step 6: Now, install the VPN like you’d install any Windows application. To log-in, paste your activation code, and you’ll see the VPN’s home screen.
- Step 7: Connect to any server by clicking on the ‘three dots’ icon (on the right side). Once you connect to a server, you’ll get a new IP, and your traffic will be protected.
- Step 8: You’re now free to launch Kodi on your Windows computer. Depending on the selected server, Kodi addons restricted to that specific country will now open up.
There are other ways to install a VPN on Windows, depending on your goals and willingness to dive into the technical side of things. To check additional methods and instructions, here’s how to set-up a VPN on Windows.
How to Install a Kodi VPN on macOS
As you’d expect, macOS supports different methods of installing VPN services and protocols. We think you’ll benefit the most by using a native VPN application. Here’s how to install a VPN on Kodi on macOS.
- Step 1: If you haven’t decided on which one to use, learn about the best VPNs for Mac. The bulletproof option would be to subscribe to ExpressVPN, especially for Kodi users.
- Step 2: Use the provided link (above) to get to ExpressVPN’s website. Then, click on the prominent red button, you’ll see there, select a plan, and fill out the required information.
- Step 3: Once done, return to ExpressVPN’s homepage. Click on ‘My Account’ and log in to your account by using your email address and password.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Download for Mac’ or select ‘Mac’ from the ‘Set Up Your Devices’ card.
- Step 5: The installation file will now download. In the meantime, ExpressVPN will show you an activation code on its website, so keep the website open in the background.
- Step 6: Install ExpressVPN on your Mac. Then, open the application and use your activation code to log in (once again, this code is found on ExpressVPN’s website).
- Step 7: You should now see the VPN’s home screen. Feel free to click on any of its servers, and ExpressVPN will take a few moments to connect you.
- Step 8: This is when you can return to Kodi. Open the application and try accessing add-ons that were previously unavailable. You’ll see that they work now.
In our central article on installing a VPN on Mac, you’ll find two additional methods. Make sure to click on the provided link to explore all of your options. You’ll also get to see detailed step-by-step instructions, suitable even for complete beginners.
How to Install a VPN for Kodi on a Firestick
If you’ve already installed Kodi, you’re familiar with sideloading. However, in terms of VPNs, this procedure is much simpler. So, here’s how to install a VPN for Kodi on your Fire TV Stick.
- Step 1: Are you still researching the best VPNs for a Firestick? Know that the best one right now is ExpressVPN. The following example will focus on that particular VPN.
- Step 2: Go to ExpressVPN’s website and click on any of the prominent red buttons you’ll see there. Pick a subscription plan, fill out the required information, and proceed.
- Step 3: You now need to turn to your Fire TV Stick. From its home screen, navigate to the top and then all the way to the left – until you see the magnifying glass icon.
- Step 4: Using the virtual keyboard, search for ExpressVPN. You’ll recognize the app’s icon due to its red background. So, click on the icon to see the VPN’s overview.
- Step 5: Click on ‘Get’ and the VPN will now download and install to your Firestick. Once done, you can feel free to open the app, and you’ll see its log-in screen.
- Step 6: To get to ExpressVPN’s home screen, input your email and password. After a few moments, you’ll access the app, which is now ready to be used.
- Step 7: Using ExpressVPN’s UI, connect to a server. It will take a couple of seconds until the connection is made, and you’ll see a change in the VPN’s interface once that happens.
- Step 8: You can now exit the app and open Kodi. Feel free to use Kodi as you would usually do, and try downloading previously restricted addons. They should work now.
In case you’d like to see more detailed instructions, we’ve prepared a guide on installing ExpressVPN on a Fire TV Stick. And to explore other installation methods (there are two additional methods, by the way), here’s how to set-up a VPN on a Firestick.
How to Install a Kodi VPN on Android & Android TV
Considering that you’ll find both Kodi and VPNs on the Play Store, you already know that this process will be easy. So, here’s how to install a Kodi VPN on your Android device.
- Step 1: If you’re still exploring your options, here are the best VPNs for Android. You’ll find that ExpressVPN is the best VPN for this operating system.
- Step 2: Click on the link we’ve provided above to reach the ExpressVPN website. Click on the prominent red button there, pick a subscription, and fill out the needed info.
- Step 3: You can now return to your Android device. Launch the Play Store and use the top-placed search bar to look for ExpressVPN. Click on the app’s icon once you see it.
- Step 4: To download the VPN, tap on the green-colored ‘Install’ button. The app will now download and install on your Android device. You’ll see a notification once done.
- Step 5: Now, launch ExpressVPN on your device. You’ll need to go through the initial setup procedure, which requires you to log-in using your email address and password.
- Step 6: Once you get to ExpressVPN’s home screen, tap on the ‘three dots’ icon to reveal all of this VPN servers. Then, pick any and tap on its name to connect.
- Step 7: You can now exit the VPN app and launch Kodi on your Android smartphone or TV. What’s previously blocked should now be accessible, so give it a try.
To learn more about this procedure, including some additional tips and tricks – don’t forget to turn to our guide on installing a VPN on Android. As you’ll see, there’s plenty of flexibility in terms of customizing a VPN on Android, which is great for Kodi users.
How to Install a VPN for Kodi on an iPhone & iPad
You’ve probably had a hard time installing Kodi on your iPhone – as you’re forced to sideload the app. However, getting started with VPNs on iOS is easy. Here’s how to install a Kodi VPN on your iOS device.
- Step 1: If you look at our overview of the best VPNs for iPhone, you’ll see that we recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN overall. So, use the provided link to subscribe.
- Step 2: By using the provided link to ExpressVPN, visit the VPN’s site. Then, click on the prominent red button you’ll see there, pick your plan, and finalize the sign-up procedure.
- Step 3: Now, tap on the App Store icon on your iPhone. Use the search functionality (in the bottom-right corner) to look for ExpressVPN. Tap on the app’s icon.
- Step 4: Tap on ‘Get’ to download the app to your iOS device. Wait a couple of minutes until the app is downloaded and ready to be used.
- Step 5: Launch ExpressVPN and go through the sign-up procedure. Use your credentials to log-in, decide whether to share data and accept when asked to install a VPN profile.
- Step 6: You can now connect to a server by tapping on the ‘three dots’ icon on the right. Pick any server by picking a country (based on which Kodi addon you’d like to unblock).
- Step 7: Finally, exit the app and launch Kodi. You can now use Kodi like you usually would, with previously blocked addons now working without any issues.
There are additional methods to set-up a VPN on your iOS device. By using the provided link, you’ll get to three step-by-step guides, explaining everything you need to know – along with helpful screenshots.
How to Install a Kodi VPN on a Router
Installing a VPN on a router can be a somewhat complex process, so it’s recommended for more advanced users. However, we’re going to explain the basics of this process, with additional links to helpful resources.
- Step 1: You need a VPN-compatible router, as well as a VPN that supports this type of setup. ExpressVPN is your best bet right now, coming with support for a broad range of router models.
- Step 2: Subscribe to ExpressVPN by using the link we’ve provided above. Once on the VPN’s site, click on the prominent red button, pick your plan, and finalize the procedure.
- Step 3: If you wish to flash your router with DD-WRT firmware, the provided link will take you to DD-WRT’s official website, containing in-depth instructions.
- Step 4: You now need to access your router by using its IP, and you’ll be asked for your router’s username and password. It’s best to do a Google search for this, based on your router’s exact model.
- Step 5: Now, you need to obtain OVPN files for your router. In terms of ExpressVPN, go to My Account (via its website) > Set Up Other Devices > Manual Configuration. From here, download the required OVPN files – but also note your OpenVPN credentials.
- Step 6: Using your router’s admin panel (that you accessed in one of the previous steps), use the OVPN files to set up your VPN account. Make sure to use your OpenVPN username and password when asked (don’t confuse these with your “regular” VPN credentials).
- Step 7: Once done and once you restart your router, it will automatically connect to the chosen VPN server (based on the OVPN files you’ve downloaded). This means that you can continue using Kodi on any device like you normally would – as long as you’re connected to your home router.
This really is a comprehensive and time-consuming process, with numerous steps. So, if you’re willing to dive in, you won’t find a better resource than our guide to setting up a VPN on routers. Make sure to use the provided link and follow the instructions you’ll find there.
Why Not Install a VPN as a Kodi Addon?
Some VPNs offer dedicated addons for Kodi. This means that while using those addons, you could set up a VPN on any version of Kodi (and on any platform). However, know that those add-ons are usually broken, can produce technical problems with Kodi, and they’re limited in their scope and power.
That’s the reason why we recommend you install a VPN independently from Kodi. That way, your online activities outside of Kodi will be protected as well – allowing you to take full advantage of your VPN subscription.
Do You Need to Keep a VPN Connection Alive at All Times?
Know that VPN subscriptions typically come with unlimited bandwidth. This means that there’s no reason to worry that you’ll cross any limits. And considering that VPNs have plenty of uses besides unblocking Kodi addons, there’s no reason not to use them at all times.
You can instruct a VPN to launch on system start-up and auto-connect to a specific server. That way, you’ll be protected all times – no matter if you use Kodi or not. This option is typically found in your VPNs’ settings.
How to Protect Yourself Against Sudden VPN Connection Drops?
This one comes with a kill-switch enabled by default, which you can check by doing to Settings (Preferences) > General. Tick the box next to “Stop all internet traffic if the VPN disconnects unexpectedly.”
Experiencing a Slow VPN Connection? Here’s What You Can Do!
You can do plenty to improve your VPN’s performance by optimizing your VPN. For example, try connecting to a different server, changing a VPN protocol, or updating your VPN. To learn in-depth what can be done, here’s our article on how to speed up a slow VPN.
Which Geo-Restricted Kodi Addons Should You Try?
If you turn to our guide on the 50+ best Kodi addons, you’ll find nothing but legal and safe-to-use options. Many of those addons come geo-blocked, so they’re an excellent way to test your VPN service.
That would be all on how to install a VPN on Kodi. If you have any questions for us, know that you can always post a comment below. And in case you’ve found this article to be helpful, why not share it online with your fellow Kodi users? Thank you!