Discovery Plus is finally here – providing you with an ever-expanding library of some of the best documentaries out there. However, this streaming service isn’t available globally. So, the question is – is it possible to watch Discovery Plus outside the US? The answer is – yes, and we’ll show you how that can be done!
Keep on reading to learn more about Discovery Plus and how to both subscribe and access this media streaming service from anywhere in the world.
Where Is Discovery Plus Available?
At the moment, Discovery Plus is available across 25 countries. Still, there are big differences in the form this media streaming service is available across the globe, so let’s explain the current situation (which might be a bit hectic, we have to admit).
Discovery Plus launched in the US on January 4, 2021, and it’s available as a standalone subscription service. The US rollout also included territories like American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.
Then, know that Discovery Plus is also available in the United Kingdom and Ireland. And thanks to a deal between Discovery and Vodafone, this streaming service is about to become available to countries such as Spain, Germany, Turkey, Romania, Portugal, Greece, Hungary, and more.
And lastly, thanks to a partnership between Discovery and Starzplay, Discovery Plus content is also available across 18 countries in the Middle East and Northern Africa region (MENA).
Know that due to broadcast and licensing rights, there are big differences regarding the size of this streaming service’s library (if we look at country-based libraries). So, to get the most out of Discovery Plus, you’ll want to access its US version.
How to Watch Discovery Plus Outside the US (While Traveling / If You’re Subscribed)
We’ll first show you how to access Discovery Plus outside the US if you’re already a subscriber. Therefore, the following steps will come in handy to travelers outside the US at the moment.
1. You need a VPN to unblock Discovery Plus. So, subscribe to ExpressVPN.
2. You’ll be taken to ExpressVPN’s website. Select ‘Get ExpressVPN.’
3. Pick a subscription (if you want to save, pick a long-term one).
4. Then, provide your email address and pay for the chosen plan.
5. Once done, ExpressVPN’s team will send you a confirmation email.
6. Now, make sure to set up ExpressVPN on your device(s).
To unblock and watch Discovery Plus outside the US, you will need to have ExpressVPN running in the background. That applies that any device(s) you plan to use to stream Discovery Plus. With that said, feel free to set up ExpressVPN on all those devices.
7. Open the ExpressVPN app and make sure to go through its initial setup.
8. At this moment, you should see ExpressVPN’s home screen. Let’s proceed to use it.
9. Select the button below the prominent ON/OFF switch. A new window will open.
10. Pick ‘United States.’ Then, double-click on any server found in that country.
11. After a couple of seconds, ExpressVPN’s interface should turn green.
12. That’s it! Finally, visit Discovery+ on your device (via its app or website).
How to Watch Discovery Plus Outside the US (If You’re Not Subscribed)
In case you’re not a Discovery Plus subscriber, there’s a way to sign up. The following steps will also show you how to access its US library, so let’s jump right in. Here’s how to watch Discovery Plus from anywhere if you’re yet to subscribe.
1. Once again, you’ll need a VPN. Make sure to sign up for ExpressVPN.
2. Once you find yourself on ExpressVPN’s site, click on ‘Get ExpressVPN.’
3. Pick a subscription, provide your email, and pay for the chosen subscription plan.
4. Once done, check your email inbox. A confirmation email from ExpressVPN will arrive.
5. This is when you need to download and instal ExpressVPN on your device(s).
Make sure to install ExpressVPN on any device(s) you’ll use to access Discovery Plus. Keep in mind that ExpressVPN must run in the background while you use Discovery Plus, which underlines the importance of having the VPN locally installed.
6. Next, make sure to have a Google account or Apple ID set to ‘United States.’
Before you start signing up for a new Google/Apple account, make sure to use ExpressVPN to connect to a US server. Then, while signing up for an Apple ID, you’ll be asked to enter an address. You need to go with any US address. If you need help with that, you can always rely on online US address generators.
There’s a chance that Google won’t ask for an address, which is why you need to have ExpressVPN active in the background. By connecting to a US server and obtaining a US IP address, Google will automatically grant you access to the US version of the Play Store while signing up.
8. Now, you need to add funds to your Google account or your Apple ID.
Remember that you need to have enough funds on your Google or Apple account – for at least the first month of your Discovery+ subscription. At the moment, you can choose from a $4.99/month plan, which comes with ads. And if you want to skip ads, you need to get a $6.99/month plan.
12. Before you launch Discovery Plus, you first need to launch ExpressVPN.
13. Tap on the button below the ON/OFF switch on ExpressVPN’s home screen.
14. Pick ‘United States,’ and then select any server found in the US.
15. Wait until ExpressVPN’s interface turns green – indicating your connection’ status.
16. Now, launch Discovery Plus and tap on ‘Start 7-Day Free Trial.’
17. Then, pick a subscription and create a new account.
18. Lastly, pay for the chosen subscription.
19. That’s it! You’ll now get full access to Discovery+, without any restrictions.
From this moment on, you’ll get to watch Discovery Plus from outside the US. Once again, remember to keep ExpressVPN active in the background for a long as you wish to stream any Discovery+ content. ExpressVPN comes with unlimited bandwidth, so you don’t have to worry about going over any limitations.
What’s the Best VPN for Discovery Plus in 2021?
When choosing a VPN to unblock Discovery Plus, you need to be very careful about which one you pick. You need a trustworthy option that can help you reach your goals every single time. With that said, here are the 5 best VPNs for Discovery Plus in 2021.
- ExpressVPN: At the moment, our top recommendation would be ExpressVPN – the best VPN in 2021. It works amazingly well with Discovery Plus, as well as other streaming services (like Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, fuboTV, and more). On top of that, ExpressVPN is an ever-evolving VPN that brings many VPN protocols, robust encryption, and it protects your privacy in the best possible way. To learn more, feel free to turn to our ExpressVPN review.
- CyberGhost VPN: Here, we have another capable VPN that lets your watch Discovery Plus outside the US. Called CyberGhost, this VPN helps you truly become a “ghost” on the Web – in the sense that your online whereabouts will always remain hidden. CyberGhost also comes with an array of servers optimized for streaming (with rotating IPs), provides fast speeds, and encrypts your private data. You can learn more about this VPN via our CyberGhost VPN review.
- Surfshark: Despite being the youngest VPN on this list, Surfshark has managed to come up with a unique offer. This VPN is incredibly transparent in its treatment of your personal data. It comes with a simple interface, and it’s fully automated. As soon as you connect to a US server, Surfshark will unblock Discovery Plus and a whole slate of other streaming services. It also comes with several protocols, offering stable and fast performance. Read more via our Surfshark review.
- Ivacy VPN: If you’re looking for a long-term VPN service that comes at a low price, Ivacy won’t disappoint you. This is a beginner-friendly VPN that does it all for you. You can choose from several groups of specialized servers for media streaming, downloading files, or browsing the Web. Discovery Plus is among the supported services, alongside dozens of other popular options. To see what to expect of this VPN, head over to our Ivacy VPN review.
- NordVPN: And lastly, we have one of the most popular VPNs right now. NordVPN is suitable for both beginners and advanced users, providing a set of features that could meet all your needs. Aside from being a good option for unblocking Discovery Plus, NordVPN is also a good option if you need total online privacy protection (thanks to its obfuscated servers and double-VPN connections). If you need a more in-depth look, here’s our NordVPN review.
How Much Does Discovery Plus Cost?
At the moment, Discovery Plus has two subscription plans. The most affordable one comes priced at $4.99/month – but it also comes with ads. If you want to get rid of ads, you’ll need to pay $6.99/month for the ad-free subscription plan.
What’s the Best Way to Sign Up for Discovery Plus Outside the US?
The best way to sign up for Discovery+ outside the USA is to use your iPhone or Android smartphone/tablet. By having a Google account or an Apple ID registered in the USA, you can access and sign up for Discovery+ (while using a VPN in the background).
How Can I Pay for Discovery Plus Outside the US?
You can pay for your Discovery+ subscription via your smartphone. That means you need to have funds available in your Apple ID or Google account (registered in the USA). You can fund your account using gift cards (digital codes) purchased online (via Amazon, for example).
Do I Really Need a VPN to Unblock Discovery Plus?
Yes, the only way to unblock Discovery+ outside the US is by using a VPN service (such as ExpressVPN). This media streaming platform has geo-restrictions, checking your location as soon as you access it. Using a VPN will let you connect to a server in the USA and access Discovery+ without any issues.
Can Discovery Plus Detect u0026amp; Block VPN Services?
Yes, Discovery Plus can detect VPN services. However, you don’t have to be worried about whether your account could be banned or anything similar. Instead, your access to Discovery Plus will be prevented until you disable your VPN. To avoid such situations, use a reliable VPN, such as ExpressVPN.
Can I Watch Discovery Plus Without a VPN Outside the US?
No, there’s no way to watch Discovery Plus outside the USA without a VPN. This streaming service checks your location continuously (by checking your IP). Therefore, to access and stream Discovery+, you need a proven VPN, such as ExpressVPN.
Which VPN Works Best for Discovery Plus?
Based on our hands-on experience, not many VPNs will let you access Discovery Plus. We highly recommend ExpressVPN, which not only unblocks Discovery+ but also keeps you 100% safe and protected on the Internet.
Can I Watch Discovery+ Outside the US for Free?
Keep in mind that Discovery+ comes with a 7-day trial (which means you’ll be charged for your subscription after the trial ends). However, there’s currently no way to watch Discovery Plus for free if you’re not in the USA.
That brings us to the end of our guide on how to watch Discovery Plus outside the US. If you have any questions, know that you can post a comment below. We’ll make sure to respond as soon as possible. And also, thanks for reading!