With over 45 million subscribers, Hulu is among the best options for streaming hugely popular (mainstream) and indie movies and TV shows. This is where you'll find titles such as The Handmaid's Tale, Mrs. America, Shrill, Castle Rock, The Mindy Project, and more. However, it's also true that Hulu is available in the United States only, so chances are you need a VPN to watch Hulu outside the US to unblock and stream its content from anywhere.
However, remember that Hulu comes with advanced anti-VPN systems, which is why very few VPNs still work with Hulu. On top of that, your options are even more limited if you want to stream in 4K. That said, you're not without some solid options. So, if you stick with us until the end of this guide, we promise you'll know which VPN is best for the job.
More precisely, we'll show you how to get a VPN that can unblock Hulu. We'll also show you how to subscribe to Hulu from a country without access to the streaming platform. That said, let's jump right in!
Where Is Hulu Available?
At the moment, Hulu is primarily available in the United States. You can access it throughout the country and U.S. territories like Puerto Rico and U.S. military bases. It's also true that Hulu is available in Japan in a slightly different form.
Even though you can visit Hulu's website from anywhere, you won't be able to sign up unless you have a payment method associated with a bank in the US. And if you already have a subscription, Hulu will simply refuse to play any video. If it detects you using a VPN, you'll see the following error message: "It looks like you're using an anonymous proxy or VPN. You'll need to disable it to watch Hulu."
In some cases, Hulu can also show the following geo-block error: "We're sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States." You'll be then provided with a link where you can learn that Hulu isn't available internationally.
With that said, there’s always been a possibility for Hulu to expand internationally. We've been seeing indications of that happening for several years now – but without any concrete plans. So, the instructions you'll find in this article on how to watch Hulu outside the US are the only way to go (for now, at least).
How to Watch Hulu Outside the US (QUICK GUIDE)
Unblocking and streaming Hulu from outside the US is easy - if you have a capable VPN. Here's what exactly you need to do:
- Sign up for a VPN that works with Hulu, like ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on the device(s) you'll use to stream Hulu.
- Open the VPN app and reach its home screen by logging in.
- Connect to any server located in the United States.
- You can now access Hulu via its website or app. That's it!
If you accessed Hulu before, you must remove its cookies and cache from your device. That's how you'll force the streaming platform to read your new location, giving you full access since you'll be connected to a VPN server in the US.
How to Watch Hulu Outside the US from Anywhere (IN-DEPTH GUIDES)
There are two ways to watch Hulu outside the US, based on whether you're already a subscriber or not. Both of those ways include using a VPN, so here are your options.
- Option #1: Watch Hulu Outside the US - While Traveling/ If You're Subscribed
- Option #2: Watch Hulu Outside the US - If You're Not Subscribed
Option #1: Watch Hulu Outside the US – While Traveling / If You’re Subscribed
First, we’ll talk about accessing and streaming Hulu outside the US – if you already have a subscription. The following instructions apply to those who are traveling right now and wish to access this streaming service from abroad. Here’s what you need to do.
1. You need a VPN capable of unblocking Hulu. So, you should subscribe to ExpressVPN.
2. Once you find yourself on ExpressVPN’s website, select "Start Your Trial Today."
3. Pick a subscription (remember that long-term ones come with significant savings).
4. Provide your email address and then finalize signing up for ExpressVPN.
5. Once done, you'll receive an email from this VPN confirming your subscription.
6. This is when you can proceed to set up ExpressVPN on your device(s).
The link provided just above covers all of the devices supported by ExpressVPN. Keep in mind that you need to set up this VPN on all of the devices on which you plan to access Hulu.
7. Make sure to launch ExpressVPN and go through its initial setup.
8. At this moment, you should be looking at ExpressVPN’s home screen.
9. Click on the button just below the ON/OFF switch on ExpressVPN's home screen.
10. Now, pick "United States" and select any server found in the US.
11. After a few seconds, ExpressVPN will connect you. Its interface should turn green.
12. Finally, launch Hulu on your device, and that’s it!
As long as you have ExpressVPN active, you'll get to unblock and access Hulu. That applies to the media streaming service's website and apps on any of its supported platforms. Know that ExpressVPN brings unlimited bandwidth, so there's no reason to deactivate it, especially if you want to anonymize your Web traffic.
Option #2: Watch Hulu Outside the US – If You’re Not Subscribed
This segment is for those who are yet to subscribe to Hulu. Since this streaming service is inaccessible abroad, you need to use a workaround to subscribe. So, here’s how to watch Hulu outside the US if you don't have a subscription yet.
The following method can be done on iOS/iPadOS or Android devices, as it requires the use of gift cards. This helps you avoid sign-up errors related to using non-American payment cards, so it should work in the entire world.
1. Before you do anything else, subscribe to ExpressVPN.
2. Once you get to ExpressVPN’s site, select "Start Your Trial Today."
3. Pick a subscription (a long-term one will help you save).
4. Finalize the sign-up procedure (provide your email and pay for the subscription).
5. Once done, a confirmation email will arrive to your email inbox.
6. Now, go ahead and set up ExpressVPN on your device.
7. Then, ensure that you have a Google ID or Apple ID set to "United States."
Keep in mind that your Google or Apple account MUST be associated with an address in the US. To meet this requirement, feel free to create a new Google account or a new Apple ID – while using the VPN in the background (which means you first must connect to a server in the USA before starting the sign-up procedure for a new Google/Apple account).
8. Then, make sure you’re logged in to your new account on your device.
9. Now, buy a gift card – as you need to pay for your Hulu subscription.
11. At this moment, you should have enough funds on your Google/Apple ID.
13. Then, launch the Hulu app on your device.
14. Pick "Start Your Free Trial," and then select a plan that suits you.
15. Create your Hulu account by filling out the required information.
16. Finally, click on "Create My Account" and authenticate your purchase.
Since you’ve already credited your Apple/Google account, you will get to subscribe to Hulu without issues. The only requirement is to have enough money for the chosen subscription. Keep in mind that Hulu offers a 30-day trial, which means you'll be charged after the trial period (you still need to have enough money even to subscribe).
That’s it! Each time you wish to access and watch Hulu outside the US, you first need to launch ExpressVPN and connect to a server in the US. As long as ExpressVPN is active in the background, Hulu should work without issues.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Hulu Outside the US?
You need a VPN to watch Hulu because that's the only way to unblock and access Hulu outside the United States. There simply is no other way to bypass Hulu's geo-blocks.
To learn more, we recommend reading our guide on why Hulu blocks VPN services. You'll also want to know how Hulu knows you're using a VPN. As you'll see in those guides, Hulu has very advanced systems to detect your use of VPNs, which is why not many still work.
We'll also add that VPNs aren't only useful when it comes to Hulu. They let you unblock other services such as Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus, Paramount Plus, and more. Also, they help protect you from many online threats, such as malware, tracking, and more.
What VPN Allows You to Watch Hulu in 2022?
- ExpressVPN: Without a single doubt, ExpressVPN is the best VPN money can buy. No matter if you're after unblocking streaming services or protecting your privacy, this VPN will meet your needs. It comes with an army of servers, offers its own lightning-fast protocol, and works without a hitch. You can learn more via our hands-on ExpressVPN review.
- NordVPN: If you want complete control over your privacy, NordVPN should be your pick. This is a simple-looking VPN that has great power underneath its interface. You get several protocols (including NordLynx), an army of servers, and the ability to block ads and malicious files. Here's our NordVPN review if you need more information.
- CyberGhost VPN: This VPN has always been known as one of the best VPNs for media streaming. That’s because it offers a range of dedicated servers, some of which are optimized for Hulu as well. Aside from that, CyberGhost comes with a polished UI, and it lets you switch between different VPN protocols. You can learn more about those features in our CyberGhost VPN review.
If you want more options, check our guide on the best VPNs for Hulu. Our recommendations are made after extensive research and hands-on testing, providing 100%-working options only.
How to Pay for Hulu Outside the US?
When it comes to paying for Hulu outside the US, you have two options. You can buy Google's or Apple's gift cards or go straight for Hulu's gift cards.
As explained above, our preferred method is to get a Google Play gift card if you have an Android device or an Apple gift card if you have an iPhone or iPad. However, make sure to have a Google Account or Apple ID registered to an address in the US (you can use a VPN for that).
Google's and Apple's gift cards are delivered via email, so you can redeem them easily. You'll add funds to your Google Account or Apple ID, and then Hulu will charge you every single month by deducting your subscription amount from your prepaid funds.
Another option is to get Hulu gift cards via Amazon. You can then redeem those codes directly on Hulu's website. However, in some cases, you might be asked to add a US-based payment method, so we recommend that method to those who already subscribe to Hulu.
How Much Does Hulu Cost?
Currently, Hulu offers 2 base subscription plans - with and without ads. You'll need to pay $6.99/month or $12.99/month, based on which plan you pick. Find more details below.
Hulu Not Working With a VPN - How to Fix?
When Hulu refuses to work with a VPN, you'll want to re-check your VPN server and protocol. There are other steps to take as well, as described below.
- Use a VPN that Works with Hulu: To watch Hulu outside the US, you need an ultra-powerful VPN. Based on our tests, ExpressVPN is your best bet. However, you can scroll up to reveal additional options. If you use some other VPN, use its customer support to check whether it still offers support for Hulu.
- Try Another US-Based Server: VPN servers, especially those in the US, are typically used by many individuals at once. So, they can encounter technical difficulties. Use your VPN's UI to connect to another server in the US and try reaccessing Hulu.
- Try Another VPN Protocol: Your VPN gives you access to more than a single protocol. We recommend switching between OpenVPN and Lightway (if you use ExpressVPN). Other VPNs also bring WireGuard, which should work quite well for streaming.
- Remove Cache & Cookies: Clearing your browser's cookies will help you force Hulu to re-read your location. Since you'll connect to a US server, that should help you trick Hulu into thinking you're in that country. Here's how to clear cookies on most browsers.
If you need additional tips, we have a valuable resource to share. Check our central guide on how to fix VPN-related problems on Hulu, offering a series of actionable steps.
The easiest way to watch Hulu outside the US is to use ExpressVPN. Whether you're already a Hulu subscriber or if you're yet to become one, ExpressVPN will help you unblock the streaming platform with ease. It works on any device, it's ultra-fast, and it's straightforward to use.
To reveal more options, especially if you plan to unblock and use other streaming sites as well, check our central guide on the best VPNs for streaming.
Can You Watch Hulu with a VPN?
Yes, you can watch Hulu with a VPN - even though Hulu technically doesn't allow you to use any software for bypassing geo-blocks.
You won't get into any trouble for using a VPN to watch Hulu outside the US, though. Still, you do need a capable VPN for Hulu to stream without buffering or other interruptions.
How Does Hulu Detect VPNs?
Hulu has long been capable of detecting VPNs, primarily based on IP addresses associated with VPN services. So, to access Hulu using a VPN, you need one with an extensive pool of IPs that often rotate. One such VPN is ExpressVPN.
How Do I Bypass Hulu VPN Block?
The most effective way to bypass Hulu's VPN block is to use a powerful VPN app. Very few VPNs work with Hulu, which has advanced systems to detect anonymous proxies.
Will Hulu Ban My Account for Using a VPN?
Can I Use Hulu at Two Different Locations?
Yes, you can use Hulu at two different locations at the same time. The only requirement is to be in an area where Hulu is supported (which means you need a VPN if you plan to watch Hulu outside the USA).
How Many Simultaneous Connections Does Hulu Support?
Each Hulu subscription supports up to two simultaneous streams.
You can install Hulu on as many devices as you want, but you can actively stream Hulu on up to two devices at the same time. If you try to stream Hulu on a third device, you will see a "Too Many Screens" error message.
Can I Install the Hulu App Outside the USA?
Yes, you can install Hulu’s apps outside the USA. However, keep in mind that you need access to the US version of Apple’s iOS App Store or Google’s Play Store. Therefore, you need to have an Apple or Google account registered to an address in the USA.
Can I Watch Hulu Without the App?
Of course – you can access and watch Hulu directly via its website. However, keep in mind that your subscription is limited to two simultaneous streams, including Hulu's apps and website (on any platform).
What VPN Speeds Do You Need to Watch Hulu Outside the US?
Hulu recommends up to 3.0 Mbps for standard-resolution video and up to 16.0 Mbps for streaming 4K content. With that said, if you have at least a 30Mbps Internet connection, you should be able to stream in 4K even with a VPN active in the background.
Do Free VPNs Unblock Hulu?
According to our tests, not really. The few that can unblock Hulu can only do it for a short period. The site eventually detects and blacklists their IPs. So, our strong recommendation is to use a reliable VPN that’s worth your money – such as ExpressVPN.
If you have any questions on how to watch Hulu outside the US, let us know via the comments section below. We’ll make sure to respond promptly. Finally – thank you for reading!