The brand new Windows 10 October 2018 update is here and we’re going to guide you through the updating process.
If you want to make sure your computer is safe and sound, you should always make sure to update your operating system. This, of course, applies to any of your devices, not just your computer.
Why not just go with the automated update, this October, though, right? Well, the thing is that Microsoft is pushing the brand new update in waves in order to collect info on potential bugs. Windows 10 users are a bit of a guinea pig this month because there was no Windows Insider ring used for testing, and Microsoft is pushing this update with confidence that it’s good enough to install as is.
So, back to the update process – while the automatic rollout is going strong, it’s being done in waves. This means that the update could hit you in a few weeks. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t get the update because that’s possible quite easily. Allow us to guide you through it all.
How to Install Windows 10 October 2018 Update Today
You can start off the process by doing a manual check for updates. In order to do this follow these steps.
- Tap the Windows button and type “check for updates” in the search bar.
- Tap on the top result and you’ll get taken to the Windows update page.
- Windows will automatically tell you if you have any available updates for you. The important bit to know here is that if there are compatibility issues between your device and the Windows 10 October 2018 update, you won’t get any notifications about an available update until those issues are fixed.
- If the tool shows you have an available update, go ahead and install it. Depending on your Internet speed and your computer hardware, the download times will vary.
- Make sure to save your work before updating because you’re going offline during the entire process and it might take a while for it to complete. Of course, you can always postpone it until your lunch break, or night time.
- Enjoy a safer computer!
Now that you’ve gone through all the steps, you should know that everything seems fine and dandy with the first people installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, but it remains to be seen if any issues arise as they use their computers for longer.
What’s New in the Windows 10 October 2018 Update?
There are quite a few features included in the latest update that you should expect. We already covered them in a separate article on TechNadu, but we’re going to explain them a bit here too.
- Your Phone app – The new update brings a new app to Windows 10 called “Your Phone” which allows Android users to sync their devices and receive and send texts, and to view photos. iPhone users can also use it, but there are a lot more restrictions
- Clipboard sync – You will now be able to view your clipboard history on different devices thanks to a new sync feature on your Microsoft Account.
- Dark Theme for Explorer – If Apple can do it, so can Microsoft – Windows 10 is getting a new Dark Theme users can implement from their Settings.
- SwiftKey integration – In a move that’s been expected since Microsoft acquired SwiftKey in 2016, the predictive virtual keyboard is coming to Windows 10.
- Edge update – Microsoft’s browser is getting some new features, and a big menu redesign, so if you’re an Edge user, you’re going to get a lot of new goodies.
This is not all of it, of course, and the list just goes on and on, especially in the security department. These, however, are features that you’re actually going to enjoy using.
We hope we’ve made it easier for you to download the latest Windows 10 update to keep your device safe.
Are you going to update your Windows 10 now or will you wait for Microsoft to deploy it to your device? Let us know in the comments section below. We’d also appreciate it if you could share the article online. Visit TechNadu on Facebook and Twitter!