You’ll have to agree that there’s nothing more personal than dating. That’s even more true in the world of online dating, which forces you to unveil your personal details to complete strangers. However, there’s no need to feel threatened when using dating sites – but only if you take proper care of your privacy. So, know that the best VPNs for dating sites and apps are here to minimize the risk of interacting with strangers on the Web.
With that said, dating sites and apps require you to input your personal details, upload your photos, use your credit card to pay for a membership, and more. If someone gets ahold of that data, they can blackmail you, see where you live (so there's fear of actual physical danger), and endanger your privacy and financial stability in many other ways.
A VPN will ensure your privacy is protected and that your actual location is never revealed. Since a VPN hides everything about your Web connection, you can use it to unblock dating sites such as Tinder, OkCupid, eHarmony, HER, Grindr, and more – from any country in the world. That includes countries such as the UAE, Qatar, China, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia, where dating sites are mostly blocked. The same applies to accessing dating sites from restricted networks, such as those in colleges, workplaces, and similar.
So, ready to learn more about the best VPNs for dating sites and apps? If you are, keep reading, and we promise you’ll find answers to all your questions!
How to Unblock Dating Sites with a VPN?
You don’t need any technical knowledge to unblock dating sites using a VPN. That procedure is quite simple and requires less than a minute of your time. So, here’s what you need to do:
- Subscribe to a VPN that unblocks dating sites, such as ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN on any device you’ll use for online dating.
- Open the VPN app. Log in to your account to reach the VPN’s home screen.
- Pick a VPN server in a country where dating sites are widely available.
- You can now proceed to use your favorite dating sites and apps.
The procedure explained above also works if dating sites are already available in your country. So, if you want a VPN to protect your privacy while using dating sites/apps, go through the steps explained above - and feel free to connect to a VPN server in your own country.
Best VPN for Dating Sites
A reliable VPN for online dating has to bring robust and well-implemented encryption, apps for computers and smartphones, plenty of servers, and good value for money. And, of course, it needs to be able to unblock a whole slate of dating sites.
Based on the criteria mentioned above, here are the 5 best VPNs for dating sites and apps:
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN Overall for Dating Sites
- NordVPN – Best Option for Security & Privacy
- CyberGhost VPN – Best All-In-One VPN
- Surfshark – Best Fully-Automated VPN App
- Ivacy VPN – Best Budget-Friendly Option
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN Overall for Dating Sites
|Try Risk-Free|| |
We didn’t have to think too hard about which VPN to place first. Without a doubt, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for dating sites and apps - and there are many good reasons for that. It comes as a complete solution for your digital privacy while also bringing a lot of extras.
First and foremost, know that ExpressVPN is incredibly polished. Even if you have never used a VPN before, you won't have a problem with this one. ExpressVPN's apps are available for practically any platform. Whether you access dating sites from your computer, smartphone, or tablet, you'll find this VPN service's app for your specific device/platform.
Another highlight of this VPN is its server network. ExpressVPN comes with 3,000+ servers spread across 90+ countries. Since it works incredibly well for unblocking sites and apps, you’ll get to use any of its servers without any throttling. In other words, chances are you'll find servers in your country or a neighboring country if dating apps are restricted in your region.
Lastly, let's not forget to mention that ExpressVPN has high-end privacy protection. It's backed by practically uncrackable protocols and encryption. You can connect to a VPN server and forget that ExpressVPN runs in the background.
Want to know more? Read our in-depth ExpressVPN review.
- Best option available right now.
- High-end protection for your privacy.
- Unblocks any dating site or app.
- Stable and reliable performance.
- Fine-tuning is somewhat limited.
2. NordVPN – Best Option for Security & Privacy
Many of you are reading this article because you’re worried about your privacy (and rightfully so). So, if you want to use dating sites while having a highly effective privacy shield, we recommend checking out NordVPN.
Like all of our recommendations, NordVPN runs on practically any computer, phone, or tablet – alongside your favorite dating apps and websites. Getting started is quite easy, as NordVPN has a polished user dashboard (accessible via its website), from where you can download its app. As soon as you log in and connect, you’ll become untraceable on the Web.
We’ll mention that NordVPN has 5,000+ servers in around 60 countries. Having that many servers at your disposal means you’ll avoid performance issues. Of course, more advanced users can take an additional step and use specialized servers. For example, there are obfuscated servers (especially useful for online dating) that break down your Internet traffic into small packages, unblocking dating sites from any type of network.
To check what else is on offer, read our NordVPN review.
- Polished and modern-looking apps.
- Excellent for unblocking websites.
- Advanced security & privacy protection.
- Responsive customer support.
- Some optimization is required.
3. CyberGhost VPN – Best All-In-One VPN
CyberGhost is an excellent example of a VPN that does it all. It protects your privacy while using dating sites and apps, never overwhelms you with too many features, and works without any fine-tuning. So, let's see why CyberGhost is one of the best VPNs for dating sites as well.
Being one of the longest-standing VPNs, it's not a surprise that CyberGhost VPN is great at unblocking sites. However, it increased its efforts even more during the last year. That's because CyberGhost is now powered by WireGuard (aside from offering OpenVPN). That means gaining access to dating sites and apps should not be a problem, even in more restrictive countries.
Then, you get 7,900+ servers spread across 90+ countries. Many of those are standard servers, helpful in obfuscating your data and hiding your actual location. There are also servers optimized for downloading torrents and accessing specific streaming platforms. With that said, you can do more with this VPN than just use it for online dating.
We’ll also mention that CyberGhost covers any platform imaginable. It gives you 7 simultaneous connections, so you can use it at home and on the go. And lastly, this VPN has a no-logs policy and an infrastructure that ensures your private data never leaves your device. So, it's safe and secure, takes care of your privacy, and unblocks dating sites. Pretty good, right?
Unveil what else this VPN offers by checking our CyberGhost VPN review.
- Sizeable server fleet.
- Unblocks dating apps with ease.
- Takes proper care of your privacy.
- Simple and fully-functional apps.
- Slower than its competitors.
4. Surfshark – Best Fully-Automated VPN App
We made sure to focus on user-friendly options in this guide. Still, some of you might be after a very simple-looking VPN that protects you with just a single click or tap. That’s why our guide to the best VPNs for dating sites wouldn’t be complete without Surfshark.
Surfshark is perhaps the youngest VPN found in this guide. However, it's also one of the most powerful, checking all the right boxes. That begins with the Surfshark’s apps, which are available for any platform and have a user-centric design. You also get unlimited simultaneous connections, which is not something you’ll see every day.
Even though Surfshark looks like a simple VPN, make no mistake. This hugely capable VPN comes with a group of solid protocols and well-implemented encryption. It has 3,200+ servers in 65 countries and can use multiple servers to route your traffic. That’s great for your privacy, as your IP address will change every couple of minutes.
We’ll also mention that Surfshark is incredibly fast. There's not much to fine-tune regarding this VPN, but that doesn't matter as you'll get fast speeds "out of the box." That applies both to nearby and remote servers, making Surfshark highly suitable for unblocking dating sites and apps (as well as many other types of websites).
To discover more, feel free to read our Surfshark review.
- Streamlined and polished interface.
- Great even for first-time VPN users.
- Unblocks any website/app with ease.
- Prevents trackers and even malware.
- Limited fine-tuning.
- Can take a while to connect.
5. Ivacy VPN – Best Budget-Friendly Option
A reliable and capable VPN doesn’t have to cost much – and we have Ivacy VPN to prove that. This simple-looking VPN covers the basics just right while also offering a couple of handy extras. In other words, you'll find plenty of value here.
So, when it comes to its basics, Ivacy VPN offers native software for computers, smartphones, tablets, and other devices. All of its servers provide reliable and time-tested protection against data leaks. As soon as you connect to any of its 3,500+ servers (found in 180+ locations), you can be sure that your interaction with dating apps will be backed by the strongest encryption available.
Everything about Ivacy is user-focused. Unlike most other VPNs, this one lets you choose a planned activity, giving you servers specialized for that activity. If you want to unblock dating sites or apps, you can choose browsing-ready servers. Then, there are servers for downloading data (giving you essential malware protection), as well as accessing streaming platforms.
The only downside is that Ivacy doesn't bring the best speeds. So, we recommend this VPN if you have a relatively fast Web connection. You don't need an ultra-fast connection, but keep in mind that Ivacy will slow you down a bit.
If you’d like to know more, head over to our Ivacy VPN review.
- Fully-automated VPN service.
- Ever-growing server fleet.
- Unblocks websites with ease.
- Helpful customer support.
- Slower than its competitors.
- No ultra-high-end protocols.
Why Should You Use a VPN for Online Dating?
You need a VPN for dating sites if you want to protect or preserve your privacy and if dating sites are blocked by your Internet provider. Here's more information just below.
- Protect Your Personal Information & Data: You should be very careful about what you upload to dating sites and apps because they can leak your data at any moment. We’ve seen that happen many times in the past, exposing highly sensitive data. A VPN won’t protect you in case of a data breach, but it will protect you while you’re actively using your favorite dating sites and apps. You can even hide your true location by switching to another IP address, which is precisely what VPNs can do.
- Protect Yourself Against Digital Trackers: Like any other site or app, dating sites and apps employ trackers to learn more about you. Those trackers feed various types of algorithms, increasing your chances of finding a good match. However, you should never trust a dating app to protect your privacy, as they’re plagued by security and privacy flaws. What you can do is use a VPN to encrypt your Web data, preventing trackers from working.
- Unblock Dating Sites/Apps from Any Country: In countries like Russia, Turkey, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Indonesia, and many more regions across the world, dating apps and sites are banned or blocked. If those bans are not implemented based on legal grounds, you have every right to unblock access to those sites and apps. A VPN will help you do just that.
- Unblock Dating Sites/Apps from Any Network: As a way to deter you from wasting your time on “non-essential” sites, many universities, schools, and workplaces implement lists of blocked sites and apps – and most of those target dating sites. As explained above, a VPN will help you “change” your location, which is how you’ll unblock your access to sites and apps like Tinder, OkCupid, Grindr, and more – from any type of network.
What Makes the Best VPN for Dating Sites & Apps?
All of the VPNs we’ve recommended in this guide will meet your needs – but they also come with many points of differentiation. So, here’s how to find a VPN for dating sites that are fully aligned with all your needs:
- Step 1 – Ensure All Your Devices Are Covered: To unblock dating sites/apps and protect your privacy, you’ll need to run a VPN locally on your device. So, ensure that you get a VPN that offers native applications for all your platforms and devices. To help you with that, we offer guides on the best VPNs for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS/iPadOS. Also, learn about the best VPNs for multiple devices.
- Step 2 – Ensure Your Privacy Is Protected: The best VPNs for dating sites should bring at least two high-end protocols, such as OpenVPN and WireGuard. Some VPNs offer very strong proprietary protocols like Lightway (ExpressVPN) and NordLynx (NordVPN). Those should be paired with AES-256 encryption, ensuring your use of dating sites has a protective layer that doesn’t leak your personal data.
- Step 3 – Ensure All Your Planned Activities Are Covered: Don’t forget that VPNs can be used for more than online dating. If you want to make the most out of your investment, think about what else you can do online that a VPN can cover. For example, that can be streaming, torrenting, gaming, crypto-investing, and more. Most VPNs aren’t focused on a single purpose anymore.
- Step 4 – Get a Risk-Free VPN Subscription: Lastly, know that VPNs come with money-back guarantees. Many of them give you up to 30 days to change your mind without any terms. So, think about getting a long-term subscription, as that’s the best way to save money on a VPN. You’ll want one with a generous money-back policy, without any fine print.
If you need more information, turn to our VPN buyer’s guide. You’ll find more information there about what to consider when buying a VPN subscription.
Online dating should be approached very carefully, as you’ll want to reveal as little personal information as possible – but still find a good match. With that said, a VPN can be a powerful ally and even a necessity these days.
We’ll remind you that the best VPN for dating sites is ExpressVPN using which you can protect your privacy on practically any device with practically no effort on your part.
To expand your options, read our guide to the best VPN services – where you’ll find more than a dozen of trustworthy and reliable options.
Does a VPN Work on Dating Apps?
Yes, most VPNs support dating apps and websites, allowing you to unblock those from practically any country or any type of restricted network.
However, keep in mind that every VPN is different. That’s why we’ve focused only on the most capable and proven VPNs in this guide. No matter which of those you pick, you won't make a mistake.
Can I Use a VPN to Get Unbanned from Dating Sites?
In theory, a VPN can help you get unbanned from dating sites. However, we don’t recommend doing that, as bypassing temporary bans can lead to a permanent ban.
So, what you should do is check the dating sites/apps you use. See if you can find a page that describes how to appeal a ban, and then follow those instructions.
We have an article on how to get unbanned from Tinder, so give it a read if you’ve been banned from that dating platform.
Which VPN works for Tinder?
Which VPN works for OkCupid?
Which VPN Works for Grindr?
The best VPN for Grindr is ExpressVPN. That’s perhaps the only VPN that can tackle Grindr’s overly aggressive data logging practices.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Online Dating?
You really shouldn’t use a free VPN for online dating, as those VPNs can't protect your privacy. They’re also unusable when it comes to unblocking sites.
Free VPNs impose strict performance and bandwidth restrictions, making them suitable only for quick Web browsing sessions (at best). All in all, they come with many limitations and might even track your data, as that’s how free VPNs generate revenue.
So, make sure to use a trustworthy (premium) VPN. If you want to keep your budget under control, you'll want to check our guide to the best VPN deals (often updated).
That would be all for our guide on the best VPNs for dating sites. Feel free to use the comments section below if you have any questions for us. And also, thanks for reading!