Your crypto, as well as traditional digital transactions, are prone to malicious manipulation. In other words, crypto wallets, exchanges, and crypto platforms are often targeted by hackers. However, you can protect your crypto assets using the best VPN for crypto trading - capable of encrypting your data.
We've seen many instances in the past where crypto users faced security threats resulting in the loss of private keys and access to their assets. In practically all those cases, crypto users failed to secure their data properly. That said, a crypto VPN will ensure your online activity is secure and hidden from third parties.
However, VPNs do much more than just keep your digital privacy protected. They can help you access crypto trading platforms blocked in your country. And if you get a VPN that accepts crypto, you’ll also reach a whole new level of anonymity.
In this guide, we’ll talk about the best VPNs for crypto trading, share how to use one to protect your assets, talk about the best crypto trading platforms, answer some FAQs, and more.
Best VPNs for Crypto Trading - Our Shortlist
- NordVPN - Our #1-Rated Best VPN for Crypto Trading
- Surfshark - Best Crypto VPN for High-End Privacy Protection
- ExpressVPN - Best Value-Rich VPN for Securing Crypto Trading
- CyberGhost VPN - Best If You're Paying via Cryptocurrency
- Private Internet Access - Best for More Advanced Crypto Traders
How to Use a VPN for Cryptocurrency Transactions
Using a VPN for cryptocurrency transactions is quite simple. All you need is to connect to a VPN server, which will encrypt your data. Here's how that's done:
- Sign up for a VPN suitable for crypto trading (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Launch the VPN application and access your account by logging in.
- Initialize your VPN session by connecting to a secure server.
- You can now interact with crypto trading platforms and manage your funds.
Premium VPNs come with unlimited bandwidth, so you can leave them running 24/7. That's how you can use a VPN to buy crypto, review your assets' values, exchange crypto, and more. In other words, you'll get to secure your access to any crypto platform out there.
The Best VPNs for Crypto Trading in 2023
Your approach to choosing the best VPN for crypto trading must be based on certain criteria. That said, make sure your chosen VPN unblocks crypto platforms, especially if you're in a country where crypto isn't yet regulated. For that to happen, pick a VPN with a sizable server network covering as many locations and countries as possible.
Then, make sure your privacy and security are covered. Go with a VPN with a no-logs policy (an audited one, preferably), robust protocols (OpenVPN, WireGuard), and strong encryption (AES-256). Also, you'll want VPNs with obfuscated servers, which will hide the fact that you're using one in the first place.
A kill switch should be there to make sure your data doesn't leak. And if you often access crypto platforms, split-tunneling will help you create a VPN and non-VPN tunnel so that your regular Web connection remains fast. Speaking of that, the best crypto VPN should be fast without introducing a noticeable slowdown.
Let's not forget that your chosen VPN must support enough simultaneous connections and bring apps for any devices/platforms you might use. It should also have a liberal money-back policy along with 24/7 live chat customer support.
Based on the criteria explained above, these are the 5 best VPNs for crypto trading in 2023.
|Get NordVPN Now|| |
NordVPN is the best VPN for crypto trading that unblocks a whole lot of crypto platforms. This VPN has 5,000+ servers in 60 countries, changing your location in an instant. That means you'll get to access crypto platforms and exchanges from 60 different countries.
Of course, your privacy is covered more than well. This is a highly reputable no-logs VPN with many independent audits under its belt. It's powered by OpenVPN and NordLynx, its own spin on the WireGuard protocol. Your VPN tunnel will be secured by AES-256 or ChaCha20, making it virtually impossible for anyone to track you.
If you need an extra layer of security, know that NordVPN offers obfuscated servers. Not all servers are obfuscated, so you'll need to stick to a group of pre-defined ones. On the other hand, there's a very advanced kill switch that allows you to pick the apps that shut down if something unexpected happens. Split tunneling is there as well, of course.
We'll also praise NordVPN's performance. This VPN has done a lot lately to upgrade its network, so now its nearby and remote servers are equally fast. You really don't need an ultra-fast Web connection to take full advantage of NordVPN.
Also, this VPN supports up to 6 simultaneous connections. It also has modern-looking apps for computers, phones, and routers. Therefore, pairing it with your crypto platforms is going to be a one-minute process at most.
You'll also get a 30-day money-back guarantee, along with 24/7 live chat support. And if you wish to pay using a cryptocurrency, know that NordVPN supports that option via CoinGate.
- Unblocks crypto platforms.
- Servers in 60 countries.
- Supports cryptocurrencies.
- Audited no-logs policy.
- 24/7 support by live chat.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- Not all servers are obfuscated.
Surfshark is a feature-packed crypto VPN service with 3,200+ servers in 100 countries. As such, it has the most extensive server network out of the VPNs recommended in this guide. Also, it means you'll get to unlock a huge number of crypto platforms with ease.
This is also one of the safest crypto VPNs, powered by OpenVPN and WireGuard. Its audited no-logs policy goes hand in hand with encryption protocols like AES-256 and ChaCha20. So, you can be sure that this VPN won't know what you do online - and neither will your Internet provider or anyone else on the Web.
Obfuscation is also present in the form of 'NoBorders' mode. This feature isn't on by default, so make sure to visit Surfshark's settings as soon as you install it. And to make sure your data doesn't leak, this VPN has a kill switch. As you could expect from any powerful VPN for cryptocurrency, split tunneling is on offer as well.
We'll also praise Surfshark's performance, especially when using WireGuard. It's among the fastest VPNs right now, introducing barely noticeable slowdowns. To top it all off, this VPN supports unmetered (unlimited) simultaneous connections.
As you can expect, Surfshark also covers practically any device or platform imaginable. It has incredibly polished software for computers (Windows, Mac, Linux), smartphones (iOS, Android), and all kinds of routers are covered as well.
You'll also love the fact that a 30-day money-back policy is there, with no questions asked. Of course, you can also count on 24/7 live chat support.
- Unblocks any crypto platform.
- Servers in 100 countries.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Can take a while to connect.
- No crypto payments.
ExpressVPN is another VPN for crypto trading since it gives you access to any crypto platform in the world. This VPN's website-unblocking capabilities are legendary and simply unparalleled in the cyber-sec world. On top of that, it has 3,000+ servers in 100+ countries, featuring a network evenly distributed throughout the world.
You'll find a strict no-logs policy here, audited many times in the past. There are also high-end protocols, like OpenVPN and Lightway (ExpressVPN's own protocol). And in terms of encryption, AES-256 is there to make sure no one sees your crypto trading activities.
We'll also mention that all ExpressVPN servers are obfuscated. There's also a kill switch (called Network Lock) that prevents your data from surfacing on the Web if your VPN session ends abruptly. You'll also get split-tunneling to secure your crypto trading while ensuring your other Web activities are uninterrupted.
What's impressive here is that you get all those VPN features without any slowdowns. We've been testing VPNs for many years now, and ExpressVPN still remains the fastest option.
ExpressVPN's monthly plan gives you 5 simultaneous connections. However, if you pick a long-term plan, you'll get 8 simultaneous connections, which seems quite generous. Of course, you'll also get native software for computers (Windows, Mac, Linux), mobile devices (iOS, Android), and even routers.
Lastly, ExpressVPN provides you with a 30-day money-back guarantee (with no questions asked) and 24/7 live chat customer support. And since we're talking about crypto, know that you can buy ExpressVPN using Bitcoin (via BitPay).
- Unblocks any crypto platform.
- Sizable selection of servers.
- 100% obfuscated fleet.
- Fastest VPN available today.
- Supports cryptocurrency.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Limited customization
CyberGhost is a well-known and reputable VPN brand known for its all-in-one character. More importantly, this VPN is known for unblocking all kinds of websites, including crypto platforms. Also, you'll be surprised to know that CyberGhost has 9,000+ servers in 90+ countries.
We also need to add that CyberGhost VPN doesn't use obfuscation. Normally, that's not a big downside, as long as you're not in a country with heavy censorship, like the UAE and China. And speaking of more advanced features, this VPN has a fully-automated kill switch that works in the background while also offering split tunneling on Windows and Android.
When it comes to its performance, CyberGhost won't disappoint you. It's not the fastest option available, but it works more than well overall. Highly remote servers can introduce some slowdowns, so it would be good to have fast baseline speeds in that case.
There are simple-to-use applications for computers (Windows, Mac, Linux), mobile devices (iOS, Android), and there's support for routers as well. You also get 7 simultaneous connections, which is more than you'll need to cover all your devices at once.
Another interesting perk is CyberGhost's 45-day money-back policy, applicable to long-term plans. There's also 24/7 live chat support as well as support for cryptocurrencies. You'll need to use BitPay to pay for this VPN, making the sign-up procedure quite simple.
- Unblocks crypto platforms.
- Servers in 90+ countries.
- Supports BitPay for payments.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- 45-day money-back policy.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Obfuscation isn't present.
- Not the fastest option.
PIA is another powerful crypto VPN service that comes with the highest count of servers (highly secure and blazing-fast) in 80+ countries. Since it uses advanced VPN technologies, you can count on unblocking crypto platforms without any effort on your part.
More precisely, this VPN supports OpenVPN and WireGuard, both of which you can further optimize and fine-tune. The same applies to PIA's encryption, which comes in the form of AES-256 and ChaCha20. Then, there's a no-logs policy and even open-source apps.
The best thing about this crypto VPN is how customizable it is - allowing you to fine-tune its kill switch, which can be system-level or app-based. The same goes for split tunneling, which has tons of fine-tuning options. There's also obfuscation in the form of Shadowsocks.
We'll also note that out of the box, PIA isn't the fastest option. However, since it comes with in-depth customization, more advanced crypto traders can dive in and come up with a combination of privacy and speed that fits their needs.
PIA also supports unlimited simultaneous connections, which is a recently introduced feature. However, what's not new is PIA's presence on computers, phones, tablets, and routers. You'll enjoy using this VPN's apps, which bring a mobile-like interface across all devices.
To make your investment risk-free, PIA offers a 30-day money-back policy. Aside from that, you'll count on 24/7 live chat customer support.
- Unblocks crypto platforms easily.
- Servers in 80+ countries.
- No-logs and open-source.
- In-depth customization.
- 30-day money-back policy.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Can be slow unless optimized.
- Best for experienced VPN users.
What Is Cryptocurrency Trading?
Cryptocurrency trading is the act of buying and selling cryptocurrencies based on predicting their values, which allows you to generate a profit in the long term.
The biggest difference between cryptocurrency trading and traditional currencies is that crypto is decentralized. That means cryptocurrencies are not regulated by any international financial institutions, banks, or governments. Instead, they're based on blockchain technology, which acts as a ledger of transactions.
There are different ways to trade cryptocurrencies. For example, you can speculate on crypto price movements via a contact-for-difference (CFD) trading account, allowing you to bet on a specific cryptocurrency's price change without taking ownership of the underlying coin(s).
Alternatively, you can trade and sell cryptocurrencies via an exchange. In that case, you'll need to purchase the coins themselves. Those coins will be stored in your crypto wallet until you're ready to sell them once their value increases.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Crypto Trading?
You need a VPN for crypto trading to secure your transactions and ensure your digital privacy, making sure no one tracks you online. Here's more information:
- VPNs Encrypt Your Data: The main purpose of a VPN is to encrypt your data, which means your information will never be visible to any third party. As you do your crypto trading, your transitions will be visible to you and your chosen crypto exchanges. If someone else tries to read your data, like your Internet provider, they won't be able to see anything.
- VPNs Protect You from Phishing: Most often, hackers use phishing schemes to steal your credentials and access your assets. The best VPN for cryptocurrency will scan the URLs you visit and warn you if you access a phishing page.
- VPNs Protect Against Data Theft: There are many examples of crypto platforms getting hacked for the purpose of stealing funds. You can't do anything if your chosen crypto platform leaks data, but a VPN will prevent malicious actors from reaching your funds.
- VPNs Hide Your Location: Cryptocurrencies are based on decentralized platforms - but they're not 100% anonymous. A VPN helps you hide your connection's metadata, including your IP address, which means you'll hide your location and related information.
- VPNs Can Prevent Legal Issues: Crypto trading is unregulated in most of the world, with some countries (like China) even turning against crypto. That means potential problems can arise in the future, so it's best to stay proactive and use a VPN to protect yourself.
- VPNs Bypass Geo-Blocks: Many crypto platforms are available in a limited number of countries, and some platforms support different cryptocurrencies in different markets. A VPN will help you bypass those geo-blocks and trade using any kind of crypto coin.
- VPNs Help You Bypass Firewalls: Networks like those in schools, universities, and workplaces are often designed to prevent access to certain websites. That limitation often includes crypto platforms as well. You can use a VPN to bypass those firewalls.
How to Choose the Best Crypto VPNs?
The best VPN for crypto trading must bring high-end cryptography and a no-logs policy, and it must offer apps for all your devices. Let's take a closer look at those requirements:
- Aim to Unblock Any Crypto Platform: Every VPN has a different server fleet, which means you need to pay attention to how many servers you'll get. You must ensure your chosen VPN can unblock crypto platforms and that it has servers in the countries where the crypto trading platforms you use work without any issues.
- Verified No-Logs Policy: Your goal is to ensure that your crypto trading happens without anyone knowing what you do online. That means even your VPN should refuse to log your data. In other words, go for a VPN with a verified no-logs policy.
- Strong Protocols & High-End Encryption: To make your crypto trading as safe as possible, you need a VPN powered by reliable protocols. OpenVPN should be your pick, a proven option with no vulnerabilities. Then, WireGuard is also a good pick, especially if you need the fastest possible performance. In terms of encryption, aim for AES-256.
- Go For Obfuscated Servers: By using obfuscated servers, you ensure that no one knows that you hide behind a VPN. That's because obfuscated servers break down your data into very small packets, undetectable even by more advanced firewalls.
- Make Use of a Kill Switch & Split Tunneling: VPN connections can sometimes drop without an apparent reason. To ensure your data doesn't leak, even in those cases, pick a VPN with a kill switch. Also, a VPN with split tunneling is a great option for advanced users, as it allows you to create a VPN and non-VPN tunnel at the same time.
- Don't Accept Slowdowns: The best VPN for cryptocurrency must be fast and allow you to trade crypto without any interruptions. Also, you'll want to ensure that your connection remains fast, no matter if you use nearby or remote servers.
- Make Sure All Your Devices Are Covered: Crypto trading requires you to stay on top of the latest news, as well as check the latest crypto fluctuations via apps or websites. So, you'll need a VPN that works on all your devices. Also, ensure you get enough simultaneous connections so that you can use your crypto VPN on the go as well.
- Go For a Risk-Free VPN Subscription: Don't forget that every VPN comes with money-back guarantees, which means you shouldn't be afraid to get a long-term subscription. And in case of any technical issues, you'll be happy to have 24/7 live chat support.
What Are the Best Crypto Trading Platforms?
The best, as well as the most popular crypto trading platforms, are Coinbase and Binance, which essentially act as cryptocurrency exchanges. They're used by millions worldwide.
However, there are countless trading platforms that differentiate in their supported currencies and fees. Here's our overview of the most popular crypto exchanges available right now:
- Coinbase - This is perhaps the most widely used crypto trading platform right now, known for its user-friendliness. It's a great starting point with plenty of educational material.
- Binance - Known for its low costs, Binance is another amazing entry-level option. It supports 130+ cryptocurrencies, and it has its in-house coin as well, BNB.
- Kraken - A well-known name in the crypto space, Kraken acts as a platform using which you can trade across multiple exchanges. It's also known for its low fees.
- Gemini - Supporting more than 100 cryptocurrencies, Gemini allows recurring buys and dynamic price alerts. However, it does come at a higher cost.
- eToro - Aside from trading crypto, this platform has a social aspect to it. You can also create a custom news feed and make contact with other traders.
- BitMart - This crypto platform supports 1,500+ currencies and 1,500+ trading pairs. It's also known for its annual rewards and 24/7 support.
- Kucoin - If you're a more advanced trader, Kucoin might just be what you need. It supports spot trading, crypto derivatives, leveraged tokens, and there's even a trading bot.
- Bybit - Aside from offering hefty bonuses for new users, Bybit is also known for its payment card, letting you convert and pay with crypto anywhere in the world.
- BitMex - Known for its high-end security, BitMex is a solution for crypto derivative traders. It's been around since 2014 without a single security incident, which tells a lot.
- Gate.io - With over 13 million users, this crypto platform allows you to trade crypto and NFTs while also giving you access to a unified investment center.
- Phemex - If you're looking for various types of crypto trading, know that Phemex is the real deal. It supports contract, sport, and margin trading with manageable fees.
- Bittrex - This crypto platform is known for allowing you to trade with zero fees, which is a promo plan that appears from time to time, making it interesting to beginners.
Can You Buy a VPN with Crypto?
Yes, you can buy a VPN with crypto. Many VPN providers support cryptocurrencies, which you can use to pay anonymously, leaving no option to trace those transactions back to you.
In the following segments, we'll discuss which VPNs are a good option if you need anonymous payments, as well as which VPNs you need to avoid.
VPNs Providers That Accept Crypto Payments
Practically every reputable VPN provider now supports crypto payments. If you're in a hurry, we recommend picking NordVPN, Surfshark or ExpressVPN. However, here's the full list of the VPNs that accept crypto payments:
|VPN||Crypto Payment Processor||Official Website|
|Surfshark||CoinGate & CoinPayments||Buy Now|
|PrivateVPN||Bitcoin Wallet||Buy Now|
|TorGuard||NOWPayments & Wallet Transfer||Buy Now|
|Ivacy||Bitpay & CoinGate||Buy Now|
|Perfect Privacy||Bitcoin Wallet||Buy Now|
|IVPN||Bitcoin & Monero Wallet||Buy Now|
|AstrillVPN||Bitcoin & Monero Wallet||Buy Now|
|AirVPN||Bitcoin, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, Doge & Monero Wallet||Buy Now|
|Mullvad||Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash & Monero Wallet||Buy Now|
*When buying a subscription to PureVPN, you need to message them so that they can create an invoice for your crypto payment. If you encounter a similar situation with any of the VPNs listed above, make sure to contact their support first.
VPNs Providers That Don't Accept Crypto Payments
We're not saying the following aren't decent VPNs. VyprVPN, for example, is a really good VPN that offers most of the must-have features we mentioned above. So if the lack of crypto payment support isn't a deal-breaker for you, check them out too.
- IPVanish (Read Review)
- ProtonVPN (Read Review)
- StrongVPN (Read Review)
- VyprVPN (Read Review)
- FastestVPN (Read Review)
How Else to Protect Crypto Transactions?
Besides using a VPN for crypto trading, you can also rely on an antivirus, hardware wallet, script blocker, 2FA/MFA, and password managers to secure and protect your assets. Find more info below.
- Antivirus Protection - A VPN that blocks malicious sites is nice, but you still need a line of defense on your device. If it gets infected, a VPN can't protect it. Antivirus software, on the other hand, can isolate, quarantine, and remove the infection. To get started, here are the best free antivirus apps.
- Hardware Wallets - Web wallets aren't as safe since they can be compromised. Hardware wallets are much better because you essentially keep your coins offline, out of the reach of cybercriminals. Here's how to use a hardware wallet.
- Script Blockers - Some shady websites can run malicious scripts that infect your device or steal your login credentials. Others could use your device to mine crypto. The best line of defense against them is a script blocker like uMatrix and uBlock Origin.
- 2FA/MFA - Most crypto trading platforms offer 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication) and MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication). Basically, it's an extra step in the login process - like entering a code generated on your phone. It's a great way to secure your accounts - even if hackers steal your passwords. So, we recommend enabling these options on all accounts.
- Password Managers - These are software solutions that encrypt your login credentials in one place. You can use them to store your private keys (though we'd still recommend storing them offline) and your passwords. To learn which one to use, here are the best password managers.
Can You Use a Free VPN for Crypto Trading?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for crypto trading, but we don't recommend doing so. Free VPNs come with all kinds of limitations that you'll have to maneuver through, and you'll still end up with a frustrating and half-baked solution to securing your crypto trading.
More precisely, free VPNs come with limited data allowances, and they typically offer only a few servers. So, unblocking crypto platforms won't be possible. Aside from that, free VPNs are usually very slow, as their servers are overcrowded and poorly maintained.
Let's not forget that free VPNs employ questionable security practices and can even expose or leak your sensitive data. That means you'll be putting your crypto assets at risk of being stolen.
The only way to make sure you're properly protected is to use a premium VPN.
Making sure your crypto transactions are private and impossible to track has become imperative these days. You can make that happen in many ways - but nothing beats a powerful crypto VPN, which can encrypt your traffic, unblock crypto platforms, and ensure no one can track you.
That said, know that we recommend NordVPN as the best VPN for crypto trading - without a single doubt. It's an extremely powerful VPN provider that checks all the right boxes in terms of securing crypto, providing a set of features miles ahead of its competitors.
Which VPN Is Best for Crypto Trading?
The best VPN for crypto trading, at the moment, is NordVPN. That's the only VPN that manages to provide security, privacy, and performance without any compromises.
Is NordVPN Safe for Crypto?
Yes, it's safe to use NordVPN for crypto trading. We recommend this VPN if you need fully automated privacy protection without having to resort to complex VPN configurations. It's not the fastest option available, but it's still one of the best crypto VPNs overall.
Are VPNs Legal for Crypto?
Yes, VPNs are legal when buying or selling crypto - in most cases. However, you should check the Terms & Conditions of any crypto platform you access, to see whether they actually allow VPN services.
Should I Use a VPN for Crypto Mining?
Yes, you should use a VPN for crypto mining, as VPNs provide an extra layer of security between your devices and the Internet. That's how you make your crypto mining safer and more private.
Can You Avoid Crypto Taxes with a VPN?
No, you can't avoid crypto taxes with a VPN. Even though a VPN will help you hide your crypto activities, you're still obliged to make your crypto trading known to your country's authorities and then report and pay taxes on all income earned through crypto.
Is It Illegal to Use a VPN to Trade Crypto in the US?
No, it's not illegal to use a VPN for crypto trading in the US. Unlike some countries, the US doesn't impose restrictions on VPNs in any way or form, so you're free to pick any commercially available VPN provider.
Is ExpressVPN Good for Trading?
Yes, ExpressVPN is an amazing VPN for crypto trading. It allows you to unblock crypto platforms, makes sure no one sees your trading activities, and ensures that malicious actors are kept away from your transactions.
That's all for our guide on the best VPNs for crypto trading. If you have any questions, let us know via the comments section below. Finally, thank you for reading!