League of Legends, commonly referred to as LoL, is an online battle arena game. Unfortunately, due to its worldwide popularity, players often experience high LoL ping and latency issues related to server overcrowding. Plus, it’s banned in Iran and Syria.
Moreover, certain LoL servers have players of different skill levels, and other servers grant access to unique events and free game items. Luckily, using a VPN for League of Legends will help. When you connect to a VPN server close to your desired game server, you’ll be able to reduce ping and latency, avoid any geo-restrictions, and enjoy server-specific perks.
In today’s article, we’ll present the 5 best VPNs for League of Legends and teach you how to play LoL with a VPN. We’ll also explain why you need a VPN, how to get League of Legends unblocked on Mac and PC, why Iran and Syria ban the game, why LoL sometimes lags and crashes, and much more.
Best League of Legends VPNs - Our Shortlist
- ExpressVPN – Our #1-Rated VPN for League of Legends
- NordVPN – VPN for LoL with High Security and Privacy
- CyberGhost VPN – LoL VPN with Gaming-Optimized Servers
- Surfshark – Best VPN for LoL with Unlimited Connections
- Private Internet Access – League of Legends VPN with the Most Servers
How to Play League of Legends with a VPN
To play League of Legends with a VPN, you first need to find a reliable provider with servers close to LoL data centers. Let’s see how this works step by step:
- Sign up for a VPN that works with LoL (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on your preferred gaming device.
- Connect to a VPN server close to the game server you want to play on.
- Launch the game and log in to your League of Legends account.
- Change your League of Legends region to a different server (this is optional).
- That’s it! You can now play League of Legends freely!
When you connect to a VPN server that’s close to your desired game server, you create a shorter distance for your traffic to travel between your device and the LoL server. This reduces ping and latency, and therefore cuts back on League of Legends lagging.
The Best VPNs for League of Legends to Reduce Ping
To find the best VPN for League of Legends, you should follow the standards we set in our best gaming VPN guide. First, you need a VPN with a vast server fleet covering locations like South Korea (as these servers provide the best mix of quality competition and popularity) or Chicago (for minimal latency, depending on your location).
You also need fast speeds and consistent performance for gaming. This, combined with optimal server locations, will minimize ping rates and control latency. There should be a kill switch that cuts your Internet connection if the VPN fails. Additionally, the VPN provider must have robust security features, such as military-grade encryption and strong VPN protocols.
Moreover, your VPN needs to support various LoL-friendly devices, such as PCs, iMacs, and routers. It should also offer multiple simultaneous connections. Last but not least, the LoL VPN must have a generous money-back guarantee and reliable customer support.
Based on these criteria, here are the 5 best VPNs for League of Legends:
|Try Risk-Free|| |
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for League of Legends because it comes with a network of more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, covering all LoL data centers. You can choose a South Korean server to match with the most skilled players, or if you’re located near North America, you can connect to a server in Chicago for lower LoL ping and latency.
This will also grant you a League of Legends Chicago server IP address, so if you have the skills to play in the LoL Champions Queue, you can. Once you have a League of Legends server IP in Chicago, you will be able to play LoL in the Champions Queue with super low latency. That said, you have to be skilled enough to qualify and wait for a season to start.
Besides having blazing-fast speeds with stable connections that minimize ping and latency, ExpressVPN has amazing security features. There is a strong kill switch that cuts your Internet connection immediately if there is any VPN failure. What’s more, you can benefit from AES-256 encryption and its multiple protocols on offer, including the proprietary Lightway protocol.
ExpressVPN works with all League of Legends devices. It lets you play LoL on your iMac and PC—plus, you can connect it to your router for wider coverage. You can even use it to play League of Legends on Chromebook. In total, you can make 5 simultaneous connections.
Lastly, ExpressVPN comes with knowledgeable customer support, which you can access 24/7, and a 30-day money-back guarantee for a full refund if you’re not satisfied with its services.
- Works well with LoL
- Robust security features
- Fastest VPN on market
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Has limited simultaneous connections
NordVPN is the second-best VPN for League of Legends. Thanks to its 5,700+ servers in 60 countries, it bypasses all geo-restrictions. You can connect to one of its servers in South Korea to play against highly skilled opponents or join a US server in Chicago if you’re closer to North America—this will help with LoL lag issues.
This VPN is slightly slower than ExpressVPN, but it's medium-fast speeds and stable performance reduce League of Legends ping and latency. NordVPN comes with advanced security features like a kill switch and multiple protocols, including the robust NordLynx protocol. Besides this, you’ll also get AES-256 encryption.
This VPN for League of Legends supports many gaming devices. That said, you can play safely on iMac or PC and also set up VPN protection on your router. In addition, you can enjoy 6 simultaneous connections for a top-notch gaming experience.
But NordVPN doesn’t stop here. It provides 24/7 customer support, which assists you with any possible issue. Lastly, you can take advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re unsatisfied.
- Servers nearby LoL game servers
- Reduces high ping and latency
- Works with all gaming devices
- 30-day refund policy
- Not as fast as ExpressVPN
CyberGhost VPN has one of the largest server networks on the market, with 9,500+ servers in 91 countries. Due to this, you will be able to play the game without any restrictions. Connect to a South Korean server to be paired with advanced opponents or focus on reducing lag by connecting to a server in Chicago (if you’re near North America).
When it comes to speed, CyberGhost is slower than ExpressVPN and NordVPN. However, this doesn’t affect its ability to minimize LoL ping and latency. Therefore, we can say that CyberGhost delivers a pretty decent performance overall. To further lower ping, LoL servers that are closest to you will be the best options to connect to.
CyberGhost maintains its place among the best VPNs for League of Legends as it has a kill switch that ensures your privacy by cutting your Internet in the event of a VPN connection failure. There are also numerous secure protocols to choose from and AES-256 encryption.
Furthermore, CyberGhost is compatible with many devices, meaning you can safely play LoL on your PC or iMac and set the VPN up on your router, too. This VPN for League of Legends allows 7 simultaneous connections, which is pretty handy for playing with other people in your home.
What’s more, you will get reliable customer support and a 14-day money-back guarantee on its monthly plan. Even better, its longer plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee, giving you more time to test its services.
- Provides unrestricted LoL access
- 9,500+ servers
- Gaming-optimized servers on offer
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Slower than ExpressVPN and NordVPN
Surfshark comes with 3,200+ servers in 100 countries that will get around any geo-restrictions. If you’re close to North America, connecting to a server in Chicago will help fix high ping in League of Legends. Or, if you want to play against LoL gamers who have significant skills, you can join a South Korean server.
As speed is crucial for seamless gaming, it’s a good thing Surfshark ensures you’ll get lightning-fast speeds with consistent performance. This will help you achieve lower ping and latency rates, which will, in turn, reduce lag.
If you’re concerned about your privacy, don’t be. Surfshark implements advanced security features that will make sure no one except you can access your data. More precisely, you will benefit from strong VPN protocols like WireGuard, its amazing military-grade encryption, and a kill switch.
Surfshark wants to provide you with the best gaming experience, so it supports all LoL-friendly devices, such as PCs, iMacs, and routers. The best part is that you can establish unlimited simultaneous connections.
Last but not least, this amazing VPN for LoL comes with 24/7 customer support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. In other words, you can get a refund if its VPN services don’t appeal to you.
- Covers LoL-friendly countries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Servers in 100 countries
- 30-day money-back policy
- Often has iOS connection issues
Private Internet Access VPN (PIA) has the largest server fleet on the market, offering thousands of servers in 84 countries. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have any South Korean servers for advanced gameplay, but if you’re relatively close to North America, you can connect to a US server located in Chicago for reduced lagging.
Compared to the previous VPN providers, PIA has slower speeds but still offers reliable performance. It can minimize ping and latency rates that negatively impact your gaming experience. If you find you’re still having high ping, League of Legends VPNs like PIA are very customizable, so you can tweak your settings to optimize it for speed.
Moreover, PIA offers a powerful kill switch feature that protects your privacy by cutting the Internet connection if there is ever a VPN failure. Besides this, it has AES-256 encryption and works on multiple protocols, including WireGuard.
Similarly to the other VPNs on our list, PIA works with various devices for LoL, such as PCs, iMacs, and routers. But that’s not all! You can enjoy its unlimited simultaneous connections and play with as many people as you want using the same VPN account.
To wrap it up, PIA has knowledgeable customer support and a 30-day money-back guarantee for a full refund if some of its features or services don’t satisfy you.
- Covers LoL game server areas
- Largest server fleet on market
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- 30-day refund period
- Too complex for beginners
Why Do You Need a VPN for Playing League of Legends?
You need a VPN for playing League of Legends because the game often has high ping and is unavailable in some countries. Here are some other reasons to use a VPN for LoL:
- Minimize Ping and Lag – A VPN helps reduce high ping, LoL lag, and latency issues when you use a VPN server near a specific game server. This creates a shorter traffic route between your gaming device and LoL servers.
- Bypass IP Bans – A League of Legends IP ban can occur due to violation of their terms of service. Luckily, an LoL VPN will allow you to play the game with a different IP address.
- Hide Your IP Address – A VPN for League of Legends will hide your IP address. This prevents DDoS and doxxing attacks that interfere with your Internet connection and expose your data.
- Access LoL from Anywhere – With League of Legends banned in Iran and Syria, a VPN will bypass restrictions by connecting to game servers in any country, no matter where you’re actually located.
- Play Safely on Public WiFi – If you’re at work, school, or are traveling, you’ll likely need to use a public network to play LoL, which can be unsafe. That’s why you need a secure LoL VPN to protect your data.
- Bypass Bandwidth Throttling – Your ISP can throttle your connection if you use too much data while playing League of Legends. Therefore, you need a VPN to hide your activities and data usage.
- Avoid Overcrowded Servers – League of Legends lag can occur when a game server is overloaded. Simply change the VPN server to another location, which will adjust your current game server.
- Claim the Best Deals – Sometimes games have unique prices in different countries for various in-game features. With a VPN, you can change servers on League of Legends to get the deals you want.
- Get Free Skins and Weapons – Connecting to Chinese League of Legends servers with a VPN will open access to unique events as well as free skins and champions. (However, even with a VPN, you can’t access these servers without a Chinese LoL account, which requires a Chinese phone number.)
How to Unblock and Play League of Legends on Your Devices
To unblock and play League of Legends on your devices, you need to subscribe to a VPN that supports LoL and its gaming platforms. Let’s check out the process for a couple different devices.
Play League of Legends on Mac
To play League of Legends on Mac, you need to find a VPN that works with MacOS devices and can get League of Legends unblocked. Here’s a short step-by-step guide:
- Subscribe to a VPN that supports LoL and MacOS (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on your Mac device.
- Open the VPN app and sign in to your account.
- Connect to a VPN server near the game server you want to play on.
- Download the League of Legends app (if you haven’t already).
- Launch the LoL app and change the game region, if necessary.
- That’s it! You can now play League of Legends on your Mac.
Play League of Legends on PC
To play League of Legends on a PC, you should find a suitable VPN for PCs that can also unblock League of Legends. Here’s how to do that:
- Subscribe to a VPN that works with PCs and LoL (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on your PC.
- Launch the VPN and sign in to your account.
- Select a VPN server location close to the game server you want to play on.
- Download League of Legends (if you haven’t already).
- Start the game and change the League of Legends region, if necessary.
- That’s it! Now you can play League of Legends on your PC!
Why is League of Legends Banned in Iran and Syria?
League of Legends is banned in Iran and Syria because of political reasons. The US imposed sanctions on Iran due to tensions between the two countries. Since League of Legends utilizes microtransactions, it has to follow the restrictions.
As Iran’s main ally, Syria also decided to ban League of Legends. Its League of Legends IP ban warning message says: “Due to US laws and regulations, players in your country cannot access League of Legends at this time. Such restrictions are subject to change by the US government, so if and when that happens, we will look forward to having you back on the rift.”
Luckily, you can bypass the League of Legends ban by using a VPN. A VPN will allow you to change your location to a country where LoL has game servers and easily unblock League of Legends. This also means you’ll get a new League of Legends IP address.
Why is League of Legends Lagging?
League of Legends is lagging, likely because of high ping and increased latency due to server congestion. However, there are many other reasons for League of Legends lag. Let’s review some of the most common culprits:
- Poor Internet Connection – Lag in League of Legends can occur due to poor network connections causing high ping. League of Legends VPNs can help with this by bypassing any ISP server congestion. If your Internet is simply too slow, however, you’ll need to use a different network.
- Server Overcrowding – When LoL servers get overcrowded, ping and latency can skyrocket. Ping shows how fast a device can fetch the data from another server and return. The more time it takes, the higher the LoL ping, and therefore the higher the server lag.
- Outdated Game Version – You may face lag issues if your version of LoL is outdated. Game updates include patches and other improvements to keep gameplay running smoothly. You can fix lag issues by regularly updating your software.
- Background Apps – If an app working in the background is using a lot of system resources, you may face lag spikes. Close any unnecessary programs before playing League of Legends.
- Inadequate System Requirements – Trying to play League of Legends with insufficient RAM, a slow processor, or a sub-par graphics card will directly affect the game’s performance and cause lag issues.
Why is League of Legends Crashing?
League of Legends is crashing due to numerous potential issues. Let’s take a look at what might be behind the LoL crashing frustrations you’re experiencing:
- Missing or Corrupt Game Files – Corrupt or missing game files can cause LoL crashing, but luckily there’s an easy fix. There is an option in the game’s settings to “Initiate Full Repair,” which should make the process easy.
- Game Settings – If your LoL settings such as resolution, effect, frame rate, shadows, and more are set to max levels, it could overwhelm your device and cause the game to crash. Adjust these settings to lower values and see if that resolves the League of Legends crash issues.
- Old OS or Graphics Driver – If you haven’t updated your operating system lately, you may encounter League of Legends crashing on Windows 10. Outdated graphics drivers can also cause a League of Legends crash, so make sure you have the latest version of both installed.
- Firewalls or Antivirus Software – While firewalls and antivirus programs protect our privacy, they may sometimes cause League of Legends crashes because they block anything that looks suspicious. Lower your settings to resolve this.
- Outdated DirectX version – Is League of Legends crashing on startup? You may have an outdated DirectX version, which can disrupt your gaming experience. Thus, make sure to keep it updated to fix League of Legends crash issues.
League of Legends is a beloved multiplayer battle video game that often experiences high ping and latency issues. It’s also geo-restricted in some countries. Luckily, you can use a VPN for League of Legends to solve both of these issues.
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN for LoL. It boasts an extensive server range that will help decrease ping and latency. With ExpressVPN, you’ll be able to connect to any League of Legends server from anywhere in the world and enjoy the fastest speeds possible for seamless gameplay.
Does a VPN Work with League of Legends?
Yes, a VPN works with League of Legends. However, remember that not all VPNs are optimized for gaming, so it’s best to go for a provider like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, CyberGhost, Surfshark, or PIA.
Will You Get Banned for Using a VPN for League of Legends?
No, you won’t get banned for using a VPN for League of Legends. The game’s developer allows VPN usage as long as you don’t use it to violate its terms and conditions.
Does Riot Games Block VPNs?
No, Riot Games doesn’t block VPNs. You can freely use a VPN to play League of Legends. However, if you use an LoL VPN to breach its policies, your IP address will be blocked.
Does a VPN Reduce Ping in League of Legends?
Yes, a VPN reduces ping in League of Legends. By connecting to a VPN server that’s located closer to the game server, your data has less distance to travel to LoL’s servers, which decreases your ping.
Can You Play League of Legends with NordVPN?
Yes, you can play League of Legends with NordVPN. This VPN has an extensive server range, amazing unblocking capabilities, and fast and stable connections, resulting in a smooth gaming experience.
Can You Get Permanently Banned from League of Legends?
Yes, you can get permanently banned from League of Legends. The main reason for this is excessive negative behavior toward other players. However, a VPN will allow you to bypass any IP-based bans to create a new account and play without restrictions.
Can You Play League of Legends for Free?
Yes, you can play League of Legends for free. However, there may be some costs if you want to gain an advantage over other players.
Can You Use a Free VPN for League of Legends?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for League of Legends, but we don’t recommend it at all. Unfortunately, many free VPNs actually pose a threat as they may cause data leaks and compromise your online security.
Is League of Legends on Xbox?
No, League of Legends isn’t on Xbox. There is no information on whether Riot Games plans to put League of Legends on Xbox consoles in the future.
Is League of Legends on PS4 u0026 PS5?
No, League of Legends is not on PS4. You can’t access League of Legends on PS5, either. There is still no evidence whether Riot Games will ever launch this game on PS4 or PS5.
That’s all for our guide on the best VPN for League of Legends. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments and we’ll be happy to answer. Thank you for reading!