The best and most effective way to fully unlock all of the possibilities of your PlayStation is by using a VPN. That’s because this type of software lets you access restricted websites, media streaming services not available in your country, and it helps improve your gameplay experience (especially when it comes to online games). However, the question is – which VPN to use? What’s the best VPN for PlayStation in 2020? We have the answer, and we’ve prepared a series of solid recommendations, so let’s dive right in.
First of all, you should know one important thing. There’s no way to install or run VPNs on PlayStation natively. That’s because this gaming console simply doesn’t allow VPNs to run. To solve this obstacle, you need to run a VPN on some other device, like a router. By installing your VPN on a router, you can protect all Web-connected devices in your home, and this includes gaming consoles as well. This leaves plenty of processing power for your PlayStation, so you can enjoy multiplayer and online games without any interruption.
In case you’re not ready to invest in a VPN router (you should check out the best options, many of which have become really affordable), there’s an alternative way to use a PlayStation VPN without a router. So, depending on your needs, make sure to click on the links provided in this article to learn more. There are many ways to run a VPN on your PS console, and we’re sure you’ll find a method that’s going to work for you.
So, here are the 5 best VPN for PlayStation in 2020.
We thoroughly tested ExpressVPN to conclude that it is the singular best VPN for PlayStation. It comes with the indispensable blend of great customer support, strong encryption, and very fast servers. All of its services and features are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. In addition, servers are placed in 94 countries around the globe.
ExpressVPN also receives consistent accolades for selling preinstalled routers. Even these routers are easy to set up and are compatible with just about any type of Wi-Fi network. Overall, you receive nothing less than excellent performance. If you had to choose one VPN for PS4 blindly, make it this one!
Super excited about using ExpressVPN for your PlayStation? Use another couple of minutes of research and read our ExpressVPN review.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP.
- Router-Supported Installation: YES – you can install ExpressVPN on a router (and then use a VPN on your PlayStation that way).
- Money-Back Guarantee: Up to 30 days.
CyberGhost is now a venerable VPN provider with a great track record of service improvement. For starters, CyberGhost works with 5,500+ servers in 90 countries. It is particularly famed for fast speeds in online gaming and Netflix streaming. The customer service of CyberGhost VPN easily ranks among the top three for all VPNs.
In addition to the fast speeds, CyberGhost totally slays it with its encryption. It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee, simple-use clients, and many other features that make it a great fit for PS4 consoles. And finally, this VPN doesn’t collect any of your private data, making it one of the most secure options available.
Interested in trying out CyberGhost? Find more about the service, encryption, and features in our comprehensive CyberGhost VPN review.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, IPSec.
- Router-Supported Installation: YES – you can install CyberGhost VPN on a router (and then use a VPN on your PlayStation that way).
- Money-Back Guarantee: Up to 45 days.
VyprVPN is one of the worthiest service providers when speaking of a PS4 VPN. The provider works with its proprietary set of hardware, which kills a lot of confusion about reliability and speed. You also get a DNS leak protection service, in addition to IPv4 and IPv6 leak protection. And also, let’s not forget to mention that VyprVPN supports some of the most popular media streaming services as well.
The service also comes with apps for Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and ASUS-WRT users. This allows you to connect with your smart TV, PS4, and other devices onto the VPN network. You can also connect only your PlayStation to the VPN without a problem, and reap all the benefits of VyprVPN that way.
Need a little more info on this VPN service? Read our full VyprVPN review and analyze if it is the right fit for you.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, Chameleon.
- Router-Supported Installation: YES – you can install VyprVPN on a router (and then use a VPN on your PlayStation that way).
- Money-Back Guarantee: Up to 30 days.
IPVanish is known as both a very fast as well as an extremely user-friendly VPN service. The only point of concern for IPVanish is that the company is located inside the US. However, that is beautifully countered with the fact that they don’t keep any logs. In addition, it is loaded with advanced features like a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and strong encryption.
PS4 gamers that are looking for a VPN will note that there is a long list of servers that spread across 60 countries worldwide. Plus, it does not start and end on your PS4 either. You can use IPVanish on up to ten devices simultaneously, which seems like a very generous offer.
Want to find out more about the VPN service? Read our IPVanish review now.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP, SSTP, PPTP.
- Router-Supported Installation: YES – you can install IPVanish on a router (and then use a VPN on your PlayStation that way).
- Money-Back Guarantee: Up to 7 days.
Private Internet Access is a well-honed VPN service for a low cost. More or less, it ticks all the boxes that make a great VPN service. The service relies on 3,300+ servers placed in 33 countries. You can use the VPN on ten devices simultaneously. Plus, you have the ability to pay with anonymous gift cards.
Wish to read a detailed analysis of this VPN provider? Check out our in-depth Private Internet Access review.
- Encryption & VPN Protocols: AES-256; OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPSec.
- Router-Supported Installation: YES – you can install Private Internet Access on a router (and then use a VPN on your PlayStation that way).
- Money-Back Guarantee: Up to 7 days.
We understand that you might have a few questions regarding VPNs for PlayStation. So, we are going to answer the most pressing questions. Keep on reading to learn more.
Can I Put a VPN on My PS4?
How Do You Use a VPN on PlayStation 4?
The easiest way to use a VPN on your PlayStation 4 is to install this application on your router. That way, any device connected to that router will be protected by your VPN. In other words, you get to continue using the Web as you normally would, without tinkering with any additional software.
How to Share Your VPN Connection Through Your Router?
Setting up your PS4 VPN by sharing the home router connection isn’t an overly complicated process. So, let’s go through all the required steps.
- Subscribe to one of the VPN services highlighted above. We strongly suggest you to consider using a powerful VPN, such as ExpressVPN.
- Access the control panel of the router as indicated in the router manual.
- Go the WAN/Network/Settings tab in the control panel of the router.
- Key in the setup details for the VPN that you received shortly after subscription.
- Accept/save these changes and close the control panel of the router.
- Boot up the PS4.
- Go to ‘Network Settings‘ from the ‘Settings tab‘ on the home screen.
- Go to Set up Internet Connection > Use Wi-Fi > Easy.
- Select the Wifi network from the list that appears and unchecks the ‘do not use a proxy server‘ box.
- Run a short test with the connection to make sure everything is on track!
How to Share Your PC’s VPN Connection With Your PS4?
We have another way of sharing a VPN connection – this time from your PC. Here’s what you need to.
- Sign up to one of the services we have mentioned above;
- Connect the PS4 to the PC with the help of an Ethernet cable;
- Once the physical connection is done, you can open the Control Panel on the PC. Go to the Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings;
- Right-click on the VPN connection and go to Properties > Sharing;
- Check the box that says ‘Allow other network users to connect…‘;
- In the drop-down menu, select the home network connection;
- Connect to the VPN with the help of your PC. Choose the server that you need;
- Boot up the PS4. In the Settings tab, go to Network Settings.
- In the Network Settings, go to Set up Internet Connection. Go to Use a LAN Cable;
- Select ‘Easy’ and then check the ‘Do Not Use a Proxy Server‘ box;
- Accept and confirm the settings.
If you follow all these, it should take you less than 10 minutes to set up a VPN connection through your PC. And if you want more information, here’s our in-depth guide on how to use a console with VPNs – without a VPN router.
How Do I Get Free VPN on PS4?
Yes, there are some free VPNs available. However, none of those can be installed on routers. Besides, free VPNs come with plenty of limitations, making them unusable for anything other than basic Web browsing. So, for this purpose, we recommend commercial VPN services, with ExpressVPN coming as our strongest recommendation.
Once again, PS4 does not natively support VPNs. We encourage you to use one of the two methods that have been highlighted above to set up the VPN service before you start taking advantage of it. Once that part is addressed, a large world of extended VPN gaming and media streaming will await you on the other end. And with this said, we finally conclude our guide to the best VPN for PS4.