July 28, 2023
PlayStation consoles aren't designed for VPNs, which means you can't install NordVPN directly on your PlayStation. However, there's a range of workarounds available. The best one is to install NordVPN on a router and then connect your console to your VPN-enabled Wi-Fi network, giving you lower latency, bot lobbies, and DDoS protection.
You can also share NordVPN from your Windows PC by turning your computer into a virtual router. And if you want to unblock media streaming apps primarily (especially those bound to the US), you can set up NordVPN's SmartDNS on PlayStation 5 and 4. So, keep on reading as we're about to explain all those methods in depth.
Based on your goals, you can choose from several ways to set up NordVPN on your PS console. These are the currently available options:
By setting up NordVPN on your router, you'll create a VPN network that you can connect to using your PlayStation console. That said, the following method works on PS5, PS4, and PS3 consoles, as well as any other Web-connected device.
1. Sign up for NordVPN using your computer and a Web browser.
2. Go ahead and set up NordVPN on your router (use the provided link to get to our central guide, but keep in mind that you need a VPN-compatible router).
3. Once your VPN connection goes live on your router, connect your PlayStation to the Web (the provided link will take you to Sony's support pages for PS4 and PS5 consoles).
4. Double-check if everything works fine by going to Settings > Network > Test Internet Connection. You should see a confirmation notice that you're connected to the Web.
5. You can now return to your PS Home Screen and launch any game or app. Your Internet traffic will now flow through your router, providing encryption and gaming-related VPN benefits.
If you don't have a VPN-compatible router, you can turn your Windows PC into one. Just keep in mind that your PC will need to be turned on whenever you use your PlayStation. These are the steps you need to take:
1. Subscribe to NordVPN using your Windows PC and any Web browser.
2. Proceed to set up NordVPN on Windows. You'll need to use its native software, which you can download from NordVPN's website once you subscribe.
3. On your Windows PC, navigate to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot. You'll see a switch that you need to flip to activate the 'Mobile Hotspot' feature.
4. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Change Adapter Options. Right-click on NordVPN's adapter and pick 'Properties.' If you don't see NordVPN's TAP adapter, open the NordVPN app and connect to any VPN server.
5. Select the 'Sharing' tab and enable the following option: 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection.' Below, select your newly created hotspot.
6. You can now connect to the Web using your PlayStation. Make sure to pick the newly created Wi-Fi connection during the setup. Then, keep your Windows PC on to keep your Internet connection alive.
Another way to set up NordVPN on PlayStation consoles is to use its SmartDNS feature, useful for unblocking media streaming apps. Here's how to set it up on a PlayStation 4:
1. Get your NordVPN subscription using a computer and any Web browser.
2. Your PlayStation and your computer must be on the same network. So, ensure that your PC and game console are both connected to your home Wi-Fi.
3. Go back to NordVPN's website and select 'Log In' using the site's main menu. Provide your credentials and access your account dashboard.
4. Pick 'NordVPN' on the left (in the sidebar). On the right, click 'Enable' in the box labeled 'SmartDNS.' When asked, confirm your decision to register your IP address.
5. It can take a few minutes for SmartDNS to activate. Once it's ready for use, you will see your primary and secondary DNS addresses listed.
6. On your PlayStation 4, go to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection.
7. Then, pick Use Wi-Fi > Automatic (IP Address Settings) > Do Not Specify (DHCP Host Name) > Manual (DNS Settings). Enter your primary and secondary DNS addresses.
8. Next, pick Automatic (MTU Settings) > Do Not Use (Proxy Server) > Test Internet Connection. Finally, restart your PlayStation 4 for the latest changes to take effect.
You can set up NordVPN on a PlayStation 5 console through SmartDNS, routing your traffic through US-based servers and unblocking new streaming apps. Here's how that's done:
1. Subscribe to NordVPN using your computer and a Web browser.
2. Make sure that your PlayStation 5 and your computer share the same Wi-Fi network. So, your devices must be connected to your home Wi-Fi.
3. Go back to the NordVPN site. Using its main menu, select 'Log In' and provide your username and password to access your Nord Account dashboard.
4. Pick 'NordVPN' in the left-placed sidebar. On the right, you'll see a box labeled 'SmartDNS,' where you need to click 'Enable.' Follow the instructions you'll see on your screen.
5. Wait until NordVPN activates your SmartDNS. It'll be ready for use once you see your primary and secondary DNS addresses listed on your dashboard.
6. On your PS5, go to Settings > Network > Settings > Set Up Internet Connection.
7. Pick your currently active network and then change your primary and secondary DNS. Click 'OK' to save your changes and restart your PlayStation 5. That's it!
Even though PlayStation consoles don't support VPN software, NordVPN has done a wonderful job of offering numerous workarounds. That said, we recommend using a VPN router, as that's the most effective way to reap every single gaming-related VPN benefit. And if you just want to stream media, NordVPN's SmartDNS will do the trick.
Now that you know how to set up NordVPN on PlayStation consoles, why not do the same for your other devices? Remember that even a single unprotected device can pose a significant risk. So, consult our central guide on how to set up NordVPN for more info.
Yes, you can use NordVPN on PS4, even though there's no NordVPN app for PS4. Instead, you can set up the VPN on a router and then connect to that network from your console.
No, NordVPN doesn't have an app for PS5. However, you can use its SmartDNS to unblock new streaming apps on your PS5. Alternatively, you can set up NordVPN on a router.
To connect your PlayStation to NordVPN, you can set up the VPN on your home router. Or you can use NordVPN's SmartDNS, which you can configure in your PS settings.
That's all! Now you know how to set up and use NordVPN on PlayStation. If you have any extra questions, drop us a comment through the button below. Thanks for reading!