Channel 4 offers incredible British originals (The Inbetweeners, Peep Show), movies (Swan Song, Star Trek), and even live streams of TV channels like Channel 4, More 4, E4, Film 4, 4 Seven - all for free! Unfortunately, the service is not available outside the UK. If you want to stream Channel 4 in the US, you need to get a UK IP address with a VPN.
Read on to find out how to watch Channel 4 in the US on all your devices. We also cover the best VPN providers for Channel 4, troubleshooting tips, content recommendations, and answers to some FAQs later down the road.
How to Watch Channel 4 in the US - Quick Guide
To watch Channel 4 in the US, you need to obtain a UK IP address - which will trick Channel 4 into thinking you’re watching from within the country. The easiest way to get one is by connecting to a VPN server in the UK, as shown below:
- Sign up for a VPN that works with Channel 4 (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download the provider’s app on your PC or smartphone.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server in the UK.
- Go to the Channel 4 website and click “Sign in to My4.”
- Click on “Register” to proceed.
- Add your email and password, then click “Next.”
- Input your details and enter any UK postcode (like SW1P 2TX).
- Verify your account through the email link.
- Choose any show, click “Play,” and enjoy Channel 4 in the US!
Why Do You Need a VPN to Stream Channel 4?
You need a VPN to stream Channel 4 in the US because the service is only available in the United Kingdom. Even British residents can’t watch Channel 4 outside the UK due to rights agreements between the platform and TV/movie companies.
Channel 4 is an interesting case, as you can create an account even without a VPN. But when it’s time to actually watch anything, you get hit with this error message: “Not Available. Channel 4 is only available in the UK. You can find more details on our FAQs.”
Fortunately, you can get around that by using a VPN to get a British IP address. When you connect to a VPN, that changes your virtual location to the country of your choice (in this case, the UK). This lets you stream and browse Channel 4 as if you were an actual local.
Of course, not every VPN works on Channel 4. Since the company has to comply with their licensing agreements, that usually involves blocking VPN IP addresses. Free VPNs in particular are the first ones to go.
No need to worry, though! In the following section, you’ll find some of the best VPN providers that still work with Channel 4.
The Best VPNs for Channel 4 in 2023
The best VPN to stream Channel 4 in the US should be able to bypass the site’s VPN filter and unblock Channel 4 abroad. Look for VPNs with a sizable UK server network (and worldwide) so you can access Channel 4 and other platforms from around the world.
Fast speeds and great performance are a must-have for buffer-free streaming in HD/4K. You’ll also need a kill switch and obfuscation to hide your IP address and VPN activity in any circumstance. Then, you’ll want a strict no-logs policy and all the latest protocols (OpenVPN, WireGuard), with strong encryption (AES-256) to keep your data private and secure.
Your Channel 4 VPN should have easy-to-use apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and other platforms. Furthermore, it should provide sufficient simultaneous connections for various activities. Finally, 24/7 live chat is helpful in case of any issues, with a 30-day money-back plan just in case.
Based on the criteria above, these are the best VPNs to get Channel 4 in the US:
- ExpressVPN - Our #1-Rated VPN to Watch Channel 4 in the US
- NordVPN - Best Feature-Rich VPN for Channel 4 in the US
- CyberGhost VPN - Get Channel 4 with Streaming-Optimized Servers
|Try Risk-Free|| |
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to unblock Channel 4 in the US, thanks to its massive obfuscated server network - meaning no streaming service will be able to detect your VPN usage. You get 3,000+ lightning-fast servers in 94 countries, with a sizable network in the UK (East London, Docklands, London, and Midlands).
ExpressVPN offers amazing performance on close and faraway servers. We were able to stream Channel 4 content in HD and 4K without any noticeable slowdowns. Naturally, the VPN delivers fast speeds on any platform you try it with.
You get a trusty kill switch to disable network access in case of disconnects. Suffice to say, your IP won’t leak online under any circumstance. The provider also has a strict no-logs policy that’s been independently audited to guarantee full privacy.
Your data is secured using all the industry-standard protocols, such as Lightway (WolfSSL-enabled), OpenVPN, and IKEv2 with AES-256 encryption. To top things off, there’s also a Threat Manager feature to block intrusive trackers online.
ExpressVPN works on all popular platforms, including Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, various smart TVs, and other gadgets. You can use this VPN on up to 5 devices simultaneously, which is alright considering Channel 4’s 2-screen limit.
The provider has expert 24/7 live chat support if you experience any technical issues. Finally, all its plans are backed by a generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Streamlined apps.
- Ultra-fast UK servers.
- Network-wide obfuscation.
- Reliably unblocks Channel 4.
- 24/7 live chat.
- Not very customizable.
NordVPN is an excellent VPN for unblocking Channel 4 in the US because of its advanced SmartPlay feature. Basically, the VPN changes DNS servers when you can’t unblock the content you want. SmartPlay is available on its entire network of 5,600+ servers in 60 countries (440+ in Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Manchester).
While there are fewer regions total than in our other recommendations, NordVPN works reliably on a wide variety of streaming sites. The VPN offers top-class speeds and performance whether you’re streaming Channel 4 from the US or elsewhere.
We like NordVPN’s extensive selection of specialized servers (P2P, double VPN, Onion-over-VPN, obfuscated), the latter of which lets you bypass pesky VPN blocks. There’s also a kill switch that you can set to disable specific apps (such as your browser) instead of your whole connection.
NordVPN’s no-logs claims have been extensively audited to ensure your data is never stored on its servers. Moreover, you get top-of-the-line protocols and encryption to secure your browsing habits against hackers. OpenVPN, IKEv2 (AES-256), NordLynx, you name it.
As expected, the VPN is supported on most popular systems, whether you’re watching Channel 4 on your PC, tablet, smartphone, or on the big screen. The VPN provides 6 simultaneous connections to use as you see fit.
Naturally, NordVPN has 24/7 live chat to resolve any problems, and there’s a standard 30-day money-back guarantee in case you wish to explore other VPNs.
- Great for buffer-free streaming.
- Unblocks Channel 4 and more.
- Specialized servers (+obfuscated).
- SmartPlay feature.
- 24/7 live chat.
- Obfuscation only on some servers.
CyberGhost VPN is yet another amazing alternative to unblock Channel 4 in the US, this time due to its extensive network of streaming-optimized servers. With over 9,000 servers in 90+ countries (750+ in Berkshire, London, and Manchester), CyberGhost VPN allows you to watch over 40+ streaming sites worldwide.
Best of all, performance remained consistent throughout our tests, both on Channel 4 and other services supported by the provider. A tad slower than ExpressVPN and NordVPN overall, but not a big deal considering the more budget-friendly plans.
As always, CyberGhost VPN includes a working kill switch to keep your identity protected at all times. You can’t disable the feature, so there’s never any risk of IP leaks. Unfortunately, the VPN does not have any obfuscated servers. Keep that in mind in case you want to watch Channel 4 on more restrictive networks.
Otherwise, CyberGhost VPN offers outstanding security with protocols like WireGuard, OpenVPN, IKEv2, and strong AES-256 encryption. Plus, the provider’s no-logs policy has recently undergone a successful audit.
On another note, CyberGhost VPN comes with 7 simultaneous connections, making it great for larger households or sharing with a friend. Moreover, its apps are supported on most operating systems, from Windows to Linux and mobile.
As with any top provider, you get 24/7 live chat support that responds in a timely manner. The provider also has the longest money-back guarantee we’ve seen - 45 days on longer plans.
- 750+ servers in 3 UK cities.
- Watch 40+ streaming sites.
- Always-on kill switch.
- 45-day money-back guarantee.
- 7 simultaneous connections.
- No obfuscation.
- Slower than alternatives.
How to Watch Channel 4 in the US on Your Devices
To watch Channel 4 in the US on any device, it’s important to get a reliable VPN. Some devices (Roku, smart TVs) don’t support such apps, in which case you’ll need to set up a VPN on your router.
Here are some guides on how to get Channel 4 working in the US on the most popular devices and platforms:
Watch Channel 4 on Roku in the US
Roku doesn’t support VPNs, so you’ll have to install one on a compatible router. During the setup process, you need to set your location to the UK. More details below.
- Subscribe to a Channel 4 VPN with a router app (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Follow your provider’s setup guide for routers.
- Make sure your location is set to the UK.
- Turn on Roku and add Channel 4 to your list of channels.
- Sign into your account, choose a show, and start streaming.
Watch Channel 4 on Smart TV in the US
Depending on your smart TV model, VPN apps may not be supported. To watch Channel 4, you’ll need to install it on your router instead. Do the following:
- Sign up for a VPN that works on Channel 4 (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Install the VPN on your router according to your provider’s guides.
- Set your location to the UK during setup.
- Turn on your TV and download the Channel 4 app.
- Sign in to Channel 4, pick what you want to watch, and enjoy.
Watch Channel 4 on Android in the US
To watch Channel 4 on Android in the US, you’ll need a UK-based Google account and a VPN to change your location to the UK. Here’s what you need to do:
- Create a new Google account, and set its region (and your phone’s) to the UK.
- Get a VPN from the Google Play store (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Launch the VPN and choose a UK server.
- Download the Channel 4 app (formerly All 4) from the Play Store and open it.
- Sign in, select a show, and start watching.
Watch Channel 4 on iOS in the US
The process to watch Channel 4 on iOS in the US is fairly similar to the one for Android devices. Just create a UK Apple ID, get a VPN, and connect to the UK to start watching. Here’s how:
- Create a new Apple ID with its address set to the UK.
- Download a Channel 4 VPN from the App Store (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Open the VPN and connect to a UK server.
- Get the Channel 4 app from the App Store and launch it.
- Sign into your account and watch your favorite British Channel 4 content.
Watch Channel 4 on Windows or Mac in the US
Streaming Channel 4 on Windows or Mac is as easy as using a VPN to change your location to the UK. Then you can start watching Channel 4 in your browser, as shown below:
- Subscribe to a VPN for Channel 4 (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN on your Mac or Windows machine.
- Launch the app and connect to a server in the UK.
- Visit Channel 4 and sign up (step-by-step guide in the intro to this article).
- Verify your account, and you can start watching.
What Can You Watch on Channel 4?
Channel 4 is home to famous sitcoms, movies, originals, sports programming, and live TV on 5 different channels. Some of the best movies on Channel 4 include Swan Song, Clueless, and Shallow Grave, although the selection is more limited when compared to paid services.
What you’re really looking for is their Channel 4 originals, such as the hilarious Peep Show or The IT Crowd. Among the best Channel 4 shows, you can find classics like Frasier, 3rd Rock from the Sun, or Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares (both UK and US).
Finally, you don’t want to miss live programming on Channel 4, More 4, E4, Film 4, and 4 Seven. You may also find football and rugby matches, Formula 1, Formula E, and highlights from various sporting events.
Here’s an easy-to-follow guide on what you can watch on Channel 4 in the US:
|Channel 4 Shows||Channel 4 Movies||Channel 4 Live TV||Channel 4 Originals||Channel 4 Sports|
|Taskmaster||Swan Song||Channel 4||Peep Show||UEFA football|
|Frasier||Downsizing||More 4||The Inbetweeners||Formula 1|
|King of Queens||Clueless||E4||Shameless||Formula E|
|Kitchen Nightmares||School of Rock||Film 4||The IT Crowd||Para Swimming|
|3rd Rock from the Sun||Shallow Grave||4 Seven||Black Books||Betfred Super League Rugby|
Channel 4 VPN Not Working in the US: How to Fix
Got a Channel 4 VPN, but it’s not working in the US? Well, the issue could be any number of things, such as the VPN server’s IP or protocol being blocked. You should also check that your browser cookies don't reveal your location by accident. Here’s more info:
- Use another server: As mentioned before, streaming sites aggressively block VPN IPs as part of their contractual obligations. Try connecting to a different UK location within the VPN app (e.g., Docklands instead of London).
- Try a different protocol: If you’re trying to watch Channel 4 at work or school, your VPN may be blocked by whoever’s in charge of your network. So, all you have to do is go to the app settings and pick a different protocol (e.g., OpenVPN, Lightway).
- Clear your cookies: You may have accessed Channel 4 before you got a VPN. As a result, you may have cookies on your device that let the website know the location you last accessed it from. Clear your browser’s cache and cookies, then try again.
- Change providers: Nothing working? Customer support unable to help? It could be that your VPN simply doesn’t work on Channel 4. Considering most providers come with 30-day money-back plans, it’s time to explore different options.
Can You Use a Free VPN to Watch Channel 4 in the US?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to watch Channel 4 in the US. However, we don’t recommend doing so for a few specific reasons. First things first: Channel 4 and other streaming sites typically block free VPN IPs en masse.
Let’s say you find one that works. Well, you still have to deal with things like slow speeds, few servers (that may lead to congestion), or monthly data caps that make it difficult to get an episode in. Furthermore, free VPNs tend to make their money by selling user data.
If that sounds like a hassle and a half, you’re not alone. Fortunately, the best VPN services won’t log your data, nor will they impose any restrictions that make streaming a chore.
Channel 4 provides a host of free and easily accessible content in the UK. However, you’ll need a VPN to change your virtual location if you want to watch the same content (or download the Channel 4 app) from abroad.
We recommend ExpressVPN for the job. Not only is its entire network fully obfuscated so no one has any idea you’re using a VPN, but you get 3,000+ lightning-fast servers in 94 countries - giving you access to numerous other streaming platforms.
Can You Use a VPN to Watch Channel 4?
Yes, you can use a VPN to watch Channel 4, whether it’s in the US or anywhere else.
Is Channel 4 Available in the US?
No, Channel 4 is not available in the US. However, you can still watch it by connecting to a VPN server in the UK.
Can You Watch Channel 4 in the US?
Yes, you can watch Channel 4 in the US by using a VPN to get a UK IP address.
How Do You Get the Channel 4 App in the US?
To get the Channel 4 app in the US, you’ll have to install a VPN on your device of choice. You’ll also need a separate UK Apple ID/Google account to get the app from its respective store.
Which VPN Works Best With Channel 4?
ExpressVPN works best with Channel 4, as the provider’s entire network is obfuscated - meaning no one can see that you’re using a VPN.
That’s all you need to know about watching Channel 4 in the US. If you run into any issues, let us know in the comments, and we’ll be glad to help. Thanks for reading!