Whether you're a Bollywood fan or love to watch IPL matches, having an Indian IP is mandatory to access such content. It's because most of the widely used Indian platforms, like Disney+ Hotstar, SonyLIV, Naukri, etc., are blocked outside the country. That said, the fastest and easiest way to get an Indian IP address is to subscribe to a VPN.
The best thing is that VPNs are incredibly simple to use, and you can install them on pretty much any device. You just open your VPN application, click on a server in India (a physical or virtual one), and after a few moments – you'll change your IP address to a unique Indian IP address.
In this article, we'll teach you how to get an Indian IP address using a VPN. We'll also talk about the best VPNs for the job, answer questions related to obtaining an Indian IP, and we'll answer some frequently asked questions as well. Let's jump right in!
How to Get an Indian IP Address with a VPN
Getting an Indian IP address is as easy as signing up with a trusty VPN service and connecting to a server in India. Here’s what you need to do:
- Subscribe to VPN with servers in India (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on your device(s).
- Open the VPN and log in with your account credentials.
- Connect to a VPN server in India to get an Indian IP.
- That’s it! Enjoy browsing the web from an Indian VPN server address.
Best VPN to Get an India IP Address
Due to the new CERT-In rules, only the best India VPN providers will let you obtain an Indian IP server address without putting your data at risk. That means you’ll need a VPN with servers in India and a proven no-logs policy to avoid the country’s data-logging regulations.
It’s also important for your VPN to have strong content-unblocking capabilities both inside and outside the country. Naturally, we'll only list services with high-performance servers and user-friendly apps, so getting an Indian IP is as painless as possible. Lastly, look for a provider with 24/7 customer support and a generous money-back guarantee.
Based on the criteria explained above, these are the best VPNs to use for an India IP:
- ExpressVPN – Our #1-Ranked VPN for Indian IP Addresses
- CyberGhost VPN – Best Streaming-Optimized VPN with Indian IPs
- Surfshark – VPN for India with Unlimited Connections
1. ExpressVPN - Best VPN Overall for Indian IP Addresses
|Try Risk-Free|| |
ExpressVPN is your best option for getting an Indian IP address. This is a hugely capable VPN that offers virtual servers in India, routing your data via Singapore or the UK. By not having physical servers in India, ExpressVPN can bypass the country's data-logging regulations.
It’s safe to say that ExpressVPN comes with an unparalleled set of features. It has proven many times before that the security and privacy of its users are what matters the most. That’s because it comes with thousands of servers in 94 countries that don’t log a single file about you.
It provides AES-256-bit encryption and popular tunneling protocols, including the proprietary Lightway protocol. This VPN's kill switch and VPN leak protection features are incredibly strong, taking action if your VPN connection drops.
So, starting from your ISP to your network admin, nobody will ever know about your real IP, and you can easily use your new Indian IP to access the Web from anywhere. Also, ExpressVPN’s no-log policy keeps your personal details safe from third parties.
Lastly, we mustn’t forget about ExpressVPN’s media streaming capabilities. It can unblock pretty much any website, including many streaming platforms. You also get 24/7 live chat support and a 30-day money-back policy.
- Perfectly safe to use from India.
- Great for any purpose.
- No data logging whatsoever.
- Reliable customer support.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- 5 simultaneous connections.
2. CyberGhost VPN - Best Option for Streaming & Entertainment
|Visit Site|| |
CyberGhost has a highly polished UI and many servers optimized for different purposes. There are 25+ virtual servers in India, and more than 9,000 servers are found worldwide, connecting 90+ countries.
So, if you’re a beginner and going to use a VPN for the very first time, CyberGhost will be your ideal choice. It provides a clean UI with every feature easily accessible and also customizes your network settings as per your requirements. Moreover, you can pick any streaming or downloading-optimized server to perform different tasks with an Indian IP.
This VPN also uses military-grade encryption to provide maximum security for your data. And its own daemon on the top of WireGuard offers the safest tunnel to your incoming and outgoing traffic. CyberGhost's kill switch, DNS, and IP leak protection features are also there to ensure you can use any public Wi-Fi hotspot without worrying about your online security.
We'll also note that CyberGhost works on practically any device. Also, you get 7 simultaneous connections. That means you can obtain an Indian IP address on your computer at home and then keep your connection alive on a mobile device when on the go.
CyberGhost also has 45-day money-back guarantees on its long-term plan (a 14-day money-back policy applies to its monthly plan). And, yes, there's 24/7 live chat customer support.
- 25+ servers in India.
- Unblocks Indian websites with ease.
- 7 simultaneous connections.
- Generous money-back policy.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Not the fastest option around.
- Missing a more recent audit.
3. Surfshark – VPN for India with Unlimited Connections
|Visit Site|| |
Surfshark is an excellent choice if you want a fast and easy way to get an Indian IP address. Like ExpressVPN and CyberGhost VPN, the provider has shut off its physical servers in the region to protect their users. However, it still offers 50 virtual servers in 2 locations (Mumbai and Delhi) as part of its network of 3,200+ servers in 100 countries.
The VPN comes equipped with the cutting-edge WireGuard protocol. It’s more lightweight than OpenVPN (also available in the app) and still provides excellent security. Surfshark offers fast download and streaming speeds, but we found ExpressVPN faster overall in day-to-day use (on top of having better connection times).
Naturally, the provider has a strict, audited no-logs policy to ensure your data is private even when using an Indian IP. Even better, Surfshark supports unlimited simultaneous connections.
This VPN works with all major streaming platforms and provides amazing content-unblocking support. Watch all your favorite Indian TV shows and movies on Disney+ Hotstar, Jio TV, and more, regardless of where you are.
Finally, Surfshark offers expert 24/7 live chat, and all plans are backed by a generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Virtual servers in Mumbai/Delhi.
- GPS spoofing on Android.
- CleanWeb 2.0 security.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- Connection times need improvement.
What Is an Indian IP Address?
An Indian IP address is a unique series of numbers identifying your device using the Internet from India. It’s like a country code for your computer, smartphone, tablet, or any other device with network capabilities.
Certain websites and services (such as Disney+ Hotstar, for example) can only be accessed with an IP address from India. Luckily, you don’t need to be physically located in the country to display an Indian IP - connecting to a virtual server in India with a VPN will do the trick.
Why Do You Need an Indian IP Address?
Accessing exclusive Indian streaming services, news platforms, and financial sites requires an Indian IP address. You can also hide your identity from potential attackers and surveillance and combat price discrimination.
Here are more details about why you need an Indian IP address:
- Access Geo-Blocked Indian Content – Some examples of exclusive Indian platforms include Voot, Airtel TV, Eros Now, Sony LIV, Jio Cinema, Jio TV, and more. Such media streaming services are bound by licensing restrictions and block IP addresses and connections from outside India (unless you use a VPN).
- Securely Use Financial Websites – Online banking services usually filter IPs from abroad, and that’s no different from India's SBI, ICICI, BoB, and others. If you want to manage your money while traveling or keep your regular transactions secure, you'll need a VPN.
- Protect Your Safety Online – Whether you're shielding yourself from cyber attackers, mass surveillance, or other threats, an Indian IP will mask your online identity while allowing you to browse local content uninterrupted.
- Avoid Price Discrimination – It’s no secret that airlines, streaming sites, and other services offer cheaper prices based on geographical location. If you’re looking to shave a few dollars off your monthly budget, try using an Indian VPN server address.
What Should You Look For in a VPN to Get an Indian IP Address?
Any random VPN won't provide an Indian IP address. Only the VPNs with India servers can do that. So, the VPN you're choosing has to have servers in India. Not only that but there are also more parameters you should consider before going for a VPN subscription.
- India Servers: This is the most crucial feature a VPN should offer to get you an Indian IP address. Check the number of servers available in India before going for any subscription. Also, go for a VPN with virtual servers, as that's the only way to preserve your privacy.
- Speed & Bandwidth: Ensure your VPN has advanced servers that render fast connection and unlimited bandwidth. Otherwise, you won't be able to stream videos. Moreover, if you're getting an Indian IP to bypass network throttling, use a VPN without a data cap.
- Security & Privacy: The best VPN providers use AES-256-bit encryption keys to encrypt online traffic. This encryption standard is so strong that no hacker can decode it. Alongside that, do remember to check the available VPN tunneling protocols.
- Multi-Platform Support: All major VPNs support all widely-used platforms, including handheld devices and routers. And these services also allow parallel connections. So, securing all your gadgets becomes easier if you choose such a premium VPN service.
- Zero-Logs: Your VPN must follow a strict no-log policy, ensuring your browsing history, Web activity, and identifiable details won’t be logged on any VPN server. In return, you get the maximum anonymity you need while using an Indian IP from a foreign country.
Is It Safe to Use a VPN to Get an Indian IP Address?
Yes, it's completely safe to use a VPN to get an Indian IP address. Before your outgoing traffic connects to VPN servers, it is routed through a safe and secure tunnel that ensures the layer of security is never dropped, even when your VPN session suddenly ends.
The same thing happens in the case of incoming traffic. If you're bypassing any geo-restriction to get an Indian IP, your real IP and location will never be revealed with a VPN, and you'll stay anonymous online.
To ensure further safety, VPNs encrypt your traffic data with AES-256-bit keys, which are impossible to crack. So, irrespective of your present location and network, you can easily get an Indian IP address and safely access any Indian content on the web.
How to Check If You Have an Indian IP Address?
It's very easy to check your device's IP address, which you can do using Google. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Open your Web browser and use Google to search for 'My IP.'
- Your IP address will now appear.
- Now, launch your VPN and connect to a server in India.
- Once you connect, visit this page: IPLeak.net.
- The website should place you in India, as per your IP address.
There are other tests to run as well, especially if you suspect that there's a VPN data leak (if IPLeak fails to place you in India). Here's how to check if your VPN works properly.
Can I Get an Indian IP Address for Free?
You can use a free VPN to obtain an Indian IP address at no cost, but we don’t recommend doing so. The main issue with this approach is that free VPN services usually sell your browsing data to cover their operating costs.
Even if a free VPN doesn’t sell your information, you won’t get the same level of performance as a premium VPN provides. Free services come with limited data caps, congested servers, and no streaming support. Furthermore, they may inject ads into your browser or even expose private user data online.
However, the most important thing is that free VPNs come with limited server networks - so you most probably won't find an available Indian server. Therefore, if you want an Indian IP without any issues or performance problems, go for a premium VPN. Check our recommendations from above, or read our guide to the best VPN service.
Want to watch your favorite Indian TV shows from abroad, manage your finances while traveling, safeguard your online identity, or just get cheaper prices on airline tickets and subscriptions? All of that is possible with an Indian IP address from a trusty VPN.
We recommend ExpressVPN to get an Indian IP because they offer fast virtual Indian servers in the UK and Singapore. Their audited no-logs policy, incredible streaming support, and top-notch security solidify them as the top Indian VPN provider. There simply is no better option available.
Which VPN Has an Indian IP Address?
There are plenty of VPNs that have Indian IP addresses, but our #1 recommendation is ExpressVPN. They offer plenty of fast and secure virtual connections via Singapore and the UK, so you can get an Indian IP without being affected by India’s data collection laws.
What Websites Can I Unblock with an Indian IP?
You can unblock plenty of streaming, gaming, torrenting, and gambling websites along with social media platforms using an Indian IP address through a VPN.
From Netflix India to Hotstar, JioTV, JioCinema, Voot, Sony LIV, Eros Now, MX Player, Moj, Ludo King, Dream11, Betway, Naukri, etc., you can access different content across a wide range of platforms.
Can I Torrent with an Indian IP Address?
Yes, you can torrent with an Indian IP address. Just make sure to get the best VPN for torrenting while also paying attention that it supports P2P and offers servers in India.
Can I Watch Netflix with an Indian IP Address?
Yes, you can access Netflix India with that country's IP address and watch Bollywood movies, Netflix originals specifically available in India, documentaries like 'House of Secrets,' and more. Learn more via our guide to the best Netflix VPN.
How to Get an Indian IP Address in the USA for Free?
It's not possible to get an Indian IP address from the USA for free. That's because there are no free VPN services that offer fast-enough and stable connections of that kind. Your only option is to get a premium VPN, such as ExpressVPN.