October 24, 2017 – XBMC Foundation, who is in charge of development of Kodi, has announced that the latest version of this home theater software has been released – Kodi 17.5. This is an incremental update that brings several bugfixes and performance optimizations. Even though no new features are present, this update is a small step towards a more reliable and bug-free Kodi.
Disclaimer: The following software comes from official and unofficial sources. As such, it is publicly available and built for Kodi, which is based on open source software on its own. However, TechNadu doesn’t take responsibility for how our users decide to utilize the following software. Furthermore, please note that we don’t condone actions such as piracy or copyright infringement. Finally, TechNadu is in no way associated with the software mentioned on this page. Please read the above-said disclaimer carefully and make sure to use this software properly.
WARNING: Before You Continue…
TechNadu recommends connecting to the Web using a VPN application. The majority of Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are able of tracking your Web browsing habits and collecting information. This kind of personal data can be forwarded to government agencies or sold to marketing companies. One of the consequences of these actions can be copyright infringement notices that some users of Kodi reported receiving. The only way to stop this from happening is to use a VPN.
- VPN applications encrypt your Internet connection. As such, your personal data stay hidden and inaccessible by your Internet Service Provider.
- VPNs unlock restricted content. Using this kind of application, your computer will receive a new IP address that points to a completely different physical location. This is how you can watch region-restricted movies and TV shows.
- VPNs can improve your Internet connectivity. A reliable VPN application can de-block throttled connections and achieve better overall performance.
If you’re interested in keeping yourself protected by using a VPN, allow us to give our recommendation. TechNadu highly recommends using IPVanish. This application doesn’t only create highly secure Internet connections but also breaks through any locked or censored content. It is also worth noting that IPVanish doesn’t throttle your Internet connectivity, which is often the case with VPN applications.
Subscription prices for an IPVanish start at $6.95 per month. We believe this is a fair offering considering the value it brings. Sign up for IPVanish today, and protect your Web browsing data.
Kodi 17.5: What’s New?
Here are all of the changes that Kodi 17.5 brings. As you will see, they address bugs on different versions of Kodi, aimed at different platforms and devices. Some of these changes can be of use to Android, Linux, and MacOS users – especially those who use the latest versions of these operating systems.
- Joysticks: Fix accelerometers preventing screensaver;
- More robust way of handling audio output on variety of Android devices;
- Fix playback of DVD file over network on Linux;
- Update to FFmpeg 3.1.11;
- Fix up and down buttons on IR remotes with macOS High Sierra;
- Added latest Apple devices to allow retina support;
- Fix not being able to add content manually to video library;
- A fix for power message handling for CEC;
- Fixed jumping timeline while switching channel groups in Guide window.
Kodi 17.5: New Features
When it comes to Kodi, incremental updates don’t bring new features. The latest major update to Kodi was 17.0 ‘Krypton’ – which brought plenty of improvements, optimizations, and new features in comparison to the previous major version – Kodi 16.0 ‘Jarvis’.
Even though Kodi 17.5 doesn’t bring new features, it is recommended that you keep this application updated at all times. This is the only way to resolve possible technical issues and make sure to overcome different kinds of bugs. Hopefully, Kodi 17.5 brings smooth user experience across all of the supported devices and platforms.
Kodi 17.5: How to Upgrade?
If you are interested in using the latest version of Kodi, you should periodically check for new updates. What you need to know if that Kodi doesn’t have an automatic updater tool. Instead, you need to update Kodi manually.
Updating Kodi requires downloading the newest version of Kodi (Kodi 17.5 in this case) and installing it over the existing installation. This is why we’ll provide links to TechNadu’s installation guides where you can learn how to install and use Kodi on different platforms:
- Windows: You can install Kodi 17.5 on Windows by downloading a file from Kodi’s official website and installing it. Alternatively, you can download Kodi from Windows 10 App Store as well;
- MacOS: Kodi runs natively on Mac computer. To install Kodi 17.5 on a Mac, you need to download a DMG file and install it over your existing Kodi installation;
- Linux: To update to Kodi 17.5, you need to use the same path as with any previous Kodi installation. So, make sure to repeat the steps found in this article – Install Kodi 17.5 on Linux.
- Android: Kodi is a native Android application that can be installed via Google Play Store. Learn how to install Kodi 17.5 on Android.
- iOS: When it comes to Apple’s iOS, you can’t use the App Store. Instead, Kodi needs to be ‘sideloaded’. Lucky for you, we have a guide on how to install Kodi 17.5 on iOS.
- Chromebooks: Since Kodi runs natively on Android, this means that you can install and run Kodi 17.5 on Chromebook computers as well.
- Media Streamers: When it comes to media streamers, you can install Kodi 17.5 on Nvidia Shield TV, Razer Forge TV, Roku devices, and Apple TV.
- Amazon devices: Kodi can be installed on all Amazon Fire devices. This means that you can update to Kodi 17.5 on your Firestick or Fire TV. Learn more about Amazon Fire devices by using the provided link.
- Smart TVs: You can install Kodi on Smart TVs – if your TV model runs Android TV. If not, there are some viable workarounds.
- Gaming Consoles: Finally, you can use screen mirroring to run Kodi 17.5 on Microsoft’s Xbox.
Kodi 17.5: Additional Resources
We’d like to conclude this short guide by providing links to other helpful resources on TechNadu. These can be your go-to guides where you can learn more about Kodi 17.5.
- First, start with TechNadu’s Beginner’s Guide to Kodi. This is where we have discussed Kodi’s interface and its most basic functions. If you’re a new user, this is the place to start.
- Next, we offer the Ultimate Kodi Guide. This article talks about more advanced features of Kodi and fine-tuning. Make sure to read this guide that can turn you into a power Kodi user.
- Finally, there’s our Kodi Troubleshooting Guide. Even though Kodi 17.5 brings numerous fixes, you still may encounter some problems. This article can be of help if you’re experiencing playback issues.
Kodi 17.5: Customizations
You will be happy to know that you can continue using your addons as well as any customized builds for Kodi. However, you need to re-install Kodi if you don’t want to lose your files. This means that you shouldn’t delete your existing installation. In other words, don’t uninstall Kodi prior to installing Kodi 17.5.
If you’re facing a number of issues with your Kodi, it is a good idea to do a clean installation. This includes removing the existing Kodi installation and installing Kodi 17.5 to a different directory. As you can see, this will remove your customizations. You can look at this as a chance to find fully-working addons and try out some new ones. Here are some resources:
- You can start with some of the best Kodi addons that bring massive libraries of content. Some of the essential addons are Exodus for Kodi, Bennu, Elektra Vault, and cCloud TV;
- Make sure to check out our overviews of the best movie addons, live TV addons, as well as live sports addons.
- TechNadu offers niche addons as well. These include anime, documentary films, cartoons, boxing, WWE addons, 4K Kodi addons – and finally, Kodi addons for adults.
- Finally, there are region-based addons. We have previously written about how to watch Bollywood movies on Kodi, Chinese content, as well as Korean drama. The latest entry on this list is Tamil Kodi addons.
We hope you are as excited about Kodi 17.5 as much as we are. Let us know if you’re facing any issues. We’d gladly help.