Even though NFL Game Pass brings numerous benefits, it also comes with some serious limitations. Among those, blackouts are one of the biggest drawbacks of this streaming platform. Still, bypassing NFL Game Pass blackout restrictions is possible, and we’re here to explain all there’s to know.
Related Content: The Best NFL Streaming Services Available Now
For starters, we’d like to give you an outline of how getting around NFL Game Pass blackouts is done. However, make sure to read this entire article, as we’ll go in-depth. Our goal is to help you get the best possible experience while taking full advantage of your subscription.
Here’s our quick guide on how to bypass NFL Game Pass blackouts:
- First, make sure to get a capable VPN service. Based on our hands-on experience, the only VPN that’ll never disappoint you is ExpressVPN.
- Once you sign up for ExpressVPN, download the VPN application on any device. This can be your computer, smartphone, tablet, media streaming device, and even your router.
- Launch ExpressVPN and use its interface to connect to a server. Pick a location within the USA or in some other country that’s not affected by NFL blackouts.
- Finally, return to NFL Game Pass. You’ll see that previously imposed blackouts no longer apply – so you can stream anything, without any limitations.
There’s plenty to say about NFL Game Pass, including which types of subscriptions it brings. With that said, the following table of contents gives you an idea of what we’ll talk about.
Table of Contents
No matter if you’re already an NFL Game Pass subscriber or not, we’ve prepared plenty of useful content. Therefore, let’s talk about bypassing NFL blackouts and more.
How Do NFL Blackouts Work? Do They Exist Only in the United States?
Sports blackouts exist due to licensing and broadcasting rights – which is a way for NFL to generate revenue. And no, they’re no longer exclusive to the United States. Here’s all you need to know.
Why Are NFL Games Blacked Out?
To generate revenue, the NFL is using different kinds of channels to make agreements with TV networks and media streaming services. In other words, all parties try to earn money by either hosting or broadcasting games, which leads to exclusivity rights.
This is a highly complex topic, with many reasons why a particular game might be blacked out. And also, different rules apply to different types of games, as explained below.
- Pre-Season Games: In general, certain pre-season games are broadcast exclusively on national networks such as CBS, FOX, NBC, and ESPN. Other pre-season games are televised via local broadcast stations.
- Regular-Season Games: Once again, regular-season games are typically spread across CBS, FOX, NBC, and ESPN, in addition to NFL Network. Games where the road team is from the NFC air on FOX, while games where the road team is from the AFC air on CBS.
- Post-Season Games: In general, NFL Playoff games are televised nationally, with certain games being subject to NFL’s blackouts policies in case a game isn’t sold out.
How Do NFL Game Pass Blackouts Work?
Even if you have an NFL Game Pass subscription, all of the previously explained blackouts still apply. This means you actually won’t get to watch NFL games live if you’re in the USA. Instead, NFL Game Pass makes them available as soon as their live broadcast ends.
So, the question is – how does NFL Game Pass know your location? How does it know which blackout rules apply to your specific location?
Each time you access NFL Game Pass on any device, your IP address will be checked (in addition to other data that your Web connection transmits). This helps the streaming platform pinpoint your exact and very precise location, imposing blackouts when applicable.
As you can see, the trick here is to change your IP address somehow. That’s precisely what VPN applications are designed to do. Make sure to keep on reading, as we’ll discuss which VPNs are recommended for this particular purpose.
Which Games Are Affected by NFL Game Pass Blackouts During the 2020 Season?
Considering that the NFL offers a dedicated streaming service (NFL Game Pass), you might think that you’ll get to watch everything live. However, that’s not the case.
NFL Game Pass doesn’t offer live streaming of regular season and post-season games in the United States. Instead, games are made available shortly after they conclude.
When it comes to pre-season games, you’ll get to watch games live – but only if they don’t air nationally or locally within your market. Those games will become available on NFL Game Pass as per local blackout restrictions.
It’s clear that NFL Game Pass imposes plenty of restrictions – where the biggest drawback is the inability to watch games live. However, this is precisely why we’d like to show you the differences between NFL’s Game Pass available in the USA, and the one available in other countries.
What’s the Difference Between NFL Game Pass USA & NFL Game Pass International?
Compared to any other version of NFL Game Pass, the US version is the most limited one. Here are the most significant differences between NFL Game Pass USA and International.
- NFL Game Pass USA: This version of Game Pass doesn’t offer live streaming of regular-season games, which is its biggest downside. Instead, it provides on-demand replays only after each game ends. Even though this is one of the most affordable ways to get Game Pass, it’s the right solution only for those not interested in live games.
- NFL Game Pass UK: Interestingly enough, the UK version of Game Pass is also limited. Due to broadcasting rights, certain games will be blacked out. This applies to the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.
- NFL Game Pass International: In most other markets, NFL Game Pass offers an ‘International’ version, which brings all 256 games, including playoffs and Super Bowl. You will also get access to NFL RedZone, the NFL Network, and NFL Films.
How Much Does NFL Game Pass Cost? Are International Plans More Affordable?
In the USA, NFL Game Pass is priced at $100. There’s only one subscription plan, and you don’t get live NFL games. However, the situation is quite different when it comes to NFL Game Pass International.
Depending on which country you come from, or which country’s VPN server you’re using, you’ll see different pricing plans. To give you an idea of how much these prices fluctuate, we’ve accessed several versions of NFL Game Pass International, as you can see below.
|Country||NFL Game Pass Pro||NFL Game Pass Essential|
It’s important to note here that we’re talking about two subscription plans – Pro and Essential. Here’s how these two plans differentiate.
- NFL Game Pass Pro: Here, you’ll get all of the content – including live games. Then, you get NFL RedZone and NFL Network 24/7. Finally, there’s an on-demand library with highlights and NFL’s original programming.
- NFL Game Pass Essential: If you don’t care about live games, know that this plan includes NFL RedZone, NFL Network 24/7, in addition to an on-demand library.
With that said, it’s clear that you can save quite a bit of money if you go for NFL Game Pass International – while also getting to watch games live.
How to Bypass NFL Game Pass Blackout Restrictions?
Getting around NFL Game Pass blackouts is done by using a VPN service. With that said, here’s our step-by-step guide on how that is done.
- First, you need a capable VPN. Without a single doubt, we recommend ExpressVPN. Click on the provided link to learn more and sign-up.
- Fill out any required information, pick your ExpressVPN subscription, and finalize the process. You’ll receive an email once done, confirming your new account.
- Now, return to the ExpressVPN website (its homepage), and click on ‘My Account.’
- Log in to your account to access your dashboard. Pick a platform from the ‘Set Up Your Devices’ panel (on the right side of the screen).
- Follow the instructions you’ll see on ExpressVPN’s website. You’ll need to download one of the VPN’s apps and install it on your device like you usually would.
- Then, launch ExpressVPN and log in. For this purpose, keep in mind that you’ll need an ExpressVPN activation code on desktop platforms.
- You’re now free to pick any server. So, click on any server’s name and wait until ExpressVPN establishes a new VPN connection.
- From this moment on, you’re free to access NFL Game Pass – no matter which device you’re using. For best results, access Game Pass on a computer.
Make sure to pick a VPN server based on the NFL Game Pass version you’d like to access. Bypassing blackouts is done by choosing a server in a different part of the USA. If you have an International version, select a server in the primary country of your Game Pass subscription.
Recommended: How to Bypass Blackout Restrictions
How to Purchase NFL Game Pass International?
No matter if you’re in the USA or elsewhere, you can purchase NFL Game Pass International. You can even pick a country from where to subscribe, saving plenty of money along the way.
- For this purpose, you’ll need a VPN. We’ve been using ExpressVPN for many years now, so we highly recommend it. Click on the provided link to get started.
- Now, subscribe by filling out your information, selecting a plan, and paying for your new subscription. Expect to receive a confirmation email message.
- Return to ExpressVPN’s website and log-in using the ‘My Account’ item on the main menu. Input your credentials and log-in.
- Now, pick your platform of choice in the ‘Set Up Your Devices’ panel on the right side of the screen. We recommend using a computer (and not a smartphone) when subscribing to Game Pass through a VPN.
- Download ExpressVPN and install the application like you usually would.
- Once installed, launch ExpressVPN. Log in using your ExpressVPN activation code.
- Finally, select a server based on where you want to subscribe to Game Pass. For example, you can pick ‘Brazil’ here.
- Now, open NFL’s Game Pass website in any browser. Based on the country you’ve chosen in ExpressVPN, you will see the platform’s version for that specific country.
- Feel free to subscribe to NFL Game Pass International.
Remember to first connect to a VPN server before accessing NFL Game Pass International. Therefore, once you decide to watch a game, connect to a server in the primary country of your NFL Game Pass subscription – and then open NFL’s Game Pass website in your Web browser.
Which VPN Works Best for Bypassing NFL Game Pass Blackouts?
Based on our experience, we strongly recommend ExpressVPN. However, you have other options as well, capable of unblocking NFL Game Pass International.
- ExpressVPN: We’ve tested more than 60 VPNs so far, and without any doubt, this is the best one you’ll find today. You get easy NFL streaming, the ability to unblock any version of NFL Game Pass International, and more. Make sure to learn more by checking our ExpressVPN review.
- CyberGhost VPN: We’ve managed to unblock NFL Game Pass using CyberGhost VPN as well. This VPN comes with servers optimized for media streaming, which is a nice benefit. Besides, it has an army of servers across the entire world. Here’s our CyberGhost VPN review if you’d like to know more.
- NordVPN: Finally, know that NordVPN will also let you bypass NFL Game Pass blackout restrictions. Again, this is an incredibly secure VPN that works even on the most restricted networks. Don’t forget to read our NordVPN review.
Can You Get Around NFL Blackouts Without a VPN?
No, there’s no other way to unblock NFL Game Pass or bypass blackouts reliably.
We want to note that you shouldn’t trust everything you read online. Several proxy services are promising to let you get around NFL Game Pass blackouts. Also, the majority of those don’t offer money-back guarantees. As proxies are known for being highly unreliable, you’ll most probably lose your money.
Instead, go for a proven VPN service. Also, keep in mind that you’ll get plenty of additional benefits as well. That’s because VPNs boost your security and privacy online. They’re also great for media streaming, helping you unblock different versions of Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other platforms.
What About Free VPNs? Can Those Bypass Blackouts?
There’s no free VPN that can unblock NFL Game Pass nor bypass any blackouts.
Free-of-charge VPNs might look enticing – until you start using them. You’ll see plenty of marketing tricks here, which typically translate to overly limited user experience. As free VPN have incredibly strict bandwidth limitations, they’re unusable for media streaming.
Also, we’d like to add that free VPNs are proven to leak sensitive data. The most dangerous ones are designed to propagate malware. Therefore, we strongly recommend staying as far as possible from free-of-charge VPNs.
What’s the Cheapest Region to Get NFL Game Pass International?
Based on our research, Brazil offers the cheapest NFL Game Pass subscription – priced at around $72.00 for the entire season. India is the next best pick, offering a Game Pass subscription for $124.99. Both of those are ‘Pro’ subscriptions, of course.
On What Devices Can I Watch NFL Game Pass (International)?
NFL Game Pass is present on pretty much any device. This means you can use it on iOS, iPadOS, Apple TV, Amazon Fire OS, Android TV, Roku, Xbox, and PlayStation consoles. On any other device, you can use an Internet browser to access NFL Game Pass.
What’s the Difference Between NFL Games Pass & NFL Sunday Ticket?
While NFL Game Pass is NFL’s streaming service, NFL Sunday Ticket is exclusive to AT&T TV Now. With that said, NFL Sunday Ticket is available in the US only, offering out-of-market games. Know that games broadcast by FOX and CBS aren’t available on NFL Sunday Ticket.
Will You Be Able to Watch Super Bowl LV With a VPN?
Yes, you’ll be able to watch Super Bowl LV – but only if you subscribe to NFL Game Pass International. Using a VPN, you’ll get to watch any NFL game live, so therefore, this also includes Super Bowl LV.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to bypass NFL Game Pass blackouts. If you have any questions, make sure to post your comment below. And of course, don’t forget to share this article online with your fellow NFL fans. Thanks!