November 16, 2017 – The latest version of Kodi has been released – Kodi 17.6. The creator of Kodi, XBMC Foundation, has announced that the new version brings a small set of helpful fixes. In addition, this will be the last incremental update before a new, major version of this home theater software gets released in 2018.
Disclaimer: The following software comes from official and unofficial sources. As such, it is publicly available and built for Kodi, which is based on open source software on its own. However, TechNadu doesn’t take responsibility for how our users decide to utilize the following software. Furthermore, please note that we don’t condone actions such as piracy or copyright infringement. Finally, TechNadu is in no way associated with the software mentioned on this page. Please read the above-said disclaimer carefully and make sure to use this software properly.
WARNING: Before You Continue…
TechNadu recommends connecting to the Web using a VPN application. The majority of Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are able of tracking your Web browsing habits and collecting information. This kind of personal data can be forwarded to government agencies or sold to marketing companies. Thus, one of the consequences of these actions can be copyright infringement notices that some users of Kodi reported receiving. The only way to stop this from happening is to use a VPN.
- VPN applications encrypt your Internet connection. As such, your personal data stay hidden and inaccessible by your Internet Service Provider.
- VPNs unlock restricted content. Using this kind of application, your computer will receive a new IP address that points to a completely different physical location. This is how you can watch region-restricted movies and TV shows.
- VPNs can improve your Internet connectivity. A reliable VPN application can de-block throttled connections and achieve better overall performance.
If you’re interested in keeping yourself protected by using a VPN, allow us to give our recommendation. TechNadu highly recommends using IPVanish. This application doesn’t only create highly secure Internet connections but also breaks through any locked or censored content. It is also worth noting that IPVanish doesn’t throttle your Internet connectivity, which is often the case with VPN applications.
Kodi 17.6: What’s New?
This is an incremental update, which means that you shouldn’t expect new features. Instead, it focuses on bug fixes and performance improvements. Here’s the official changelog, according to Kodi’s website:
- Fix for a possible crash in controller dialog;
- Update to standard scrapers to latest version available on release;
- Fix to possible connection issues with internal web server;
- Fix to a crash that happens when peripheral joystick add-on is disabled.
In case you are experiencing any of these bugs or if your Kodi crashes on occasion, we recommend you to update your Kodi immediately. In addition, every Kodi user should keep this application updated at all time to ensure a bug-free and smooth performance.
Kodi 17.6: How to Upgrade/Install?
As said earlier, it is highly recommended to keep your Kodi updated at all times. However, many of you are unsure how to update. So, here’s some helpful information:
- Install a New Version: Those of you who want to try out Kodi (without having a previous version installed) are free to visit Kodi’s official website. For detailed information on specific platforms and devices, read the next section of this article;
- Update Kodi: Those of you who have been using Kodi can update by installing a new version over the existing version.
Important Note: To keep your addon and customizations, don’t uninstall your existing Kodi. Instead, simply install the version over the existing one, and you’ll update automatically. Here’s detailed info on how to install/update Kodi on different operating systems.
Desktop Operating Systems:
- Windows: To install Kodi 17.6 on Windows, you need to go to Kodi’s official website and download the needed EXE file. For detailed instructions, please use the following link;
- MacOS: You can install Kodi 17.6 on a Mac by visiting Kodi’s website and downloading a DMG file. Then, to install you need to replace that file with your existing Kodi installation;
- Linux: The easiest way to install Kodi 17.6 on Linux using a set of commands. Use the provided link to learn several methods that explain how Kodi interacts with this OS.
Mobile Operating Systems:
- Android: Luckily, Kodi supports this mobile OS natively. You can install Kodi 17.6 on Android by visiting the Google Play Store;
- iOS: It is entirely possible to install Kodi 17.6 on iOS – but you’ll have to ‘sideload’ Kodi since it cannot be found on the iOS App Store. The provided link will give you the needed instructions;
- Chromebooks: Just like with Android, you can install Kodi 17.6 on Chromebook models. There are different ways this can be done, covering various models of this budget-friendly platform.
Additional Devices & Platforms
- Media Streaming Devices: One of the best things about Kodi is that it runs on media streamers. This means that you can run Kodi 17.6 on Nvidia Shield TV, a range of Roku devices, and Razer Forge TV. In addition, you can also install Kodi 17.6 on Apple TV;
- Amazon Streamers: One of the favorite ways of using Kodi is installing it on Fire TV stick. Learn how to run Kodi 17.6 on Firestick devices;
- Smart TVs: Those of you who have Android-powered Smart TV models can run Kodi natively. However, there are fully working workarounds for different TVs. For more information, read how to run Kodi 17.6 on Smart TVs;
- Gaming Consoles: Even though you can’t run Kodi on Xbox consoles just yet, there are ways to mirror your computer’s screen. Read how to run Kodi 17.6 on Xbox.
Kodi 17.6: Helpful Resources
You know that our editorial team at TechNadu consists of experts and passionate users of Kodi. This is why we’d like to recommend three articles that explain Kodi in-depth. These can be helpful to both complete newbies and experienced users as well. Let’s find out more:
- To begin with, there’s our Beginner’s Guide to Kodi. This article talks about the basic uses of this home theater software and provides helpful links to other articles;
- Next, there’s the Ultimate Kodi Guide. If you’d like to know advanced tips and tricks, this is what you need to read and learn;
- We hope that you’re not encountering any issues with Kodi. However, we have a helpful resource if that does happen. Go to our Kodi Troubleshooting Guide for quick and easy fixes to common issues.
Kodi 17.6: Addons & Customizations
In the final section of this article, we’ll recommend some of the very best addons for your newly installed Kodi. Since Kodi 17.6 is an incremental update, all of the following addons still fully work. Let’s start exploring some of the best options that are currently available.
- For starters, here’s our list of the top 10 addons for Kodi. Addon found on this list are highly-popular and many users think of them as essential;
- When it comes to recently reviewed addons, we recommend Exodus, Covenant, SALTS, Gurzil, StreamHub, and Poseidon;
- Finally, don’t forget that you can try out builds as well. If you want to completely enhance your user experience, check out some of the very best builds for Kodi. We have a large list of suggestions.
We hope you’ll upgrade to Kodi 17.6 and keep using this amazing application without any issues. As always, you can count on help – so make sure to post a comment below.
If you’d like to share the news about the recently released version of Kodi, why not share this article on social networks? Let’s reach more Kodi users and let them know.