YouTube TV is a fantastic way to watch live television channels without a cable subscription, but it's only available in the United States. When you try accessing YouTube TV while traveling anywhere outside the US, you’ll receive the following error message: “It looks like you’re outside of the United States. YouTube TV is only available in the US.”
Luckily, there is a way to bypass this restriction. You need to use a VPN with servers in the country where YouTube TV works. This way, you can make YouTube TV think you’re in the United States, as your VPN will help you obtain a US IP address.
Unfortunately, even if they have US servers, most VPNs can’t unblock YouTube TV. That’s because they don’t have the required security and privacy features needed to hide your VPN use and avoid YouTube TV’s geo-blocks, which are known as quite aggressive.
In this article, we’ll show you the best VPNs that let you watch YouTube TV while traveling. You’ll also learn how to watch YouTube TV when you’re in another US state. On top of that, we’ll tell you which VPNs have fast speeds for buffer-free streaming and how you can purchase a subscription. Let's dive right in!
How to Watch YouTube TV While Traveling
Since YouTube TV is available in the US only, you need to use a VPN to unblock it. These are the steps you need to take:
1. First, subscribe to ExpressVPN, the best VPN for streaming YouTube TV.
2. You'll land on ExpressVPN's website, where you need to select 'Start Your Trial Today.'
3. Then, pick a subscription (if you want to save, go for a long-term one).
4. Once you provide your email address, pay for the chosen subscription plan.
5. You'll see a confirmation once done, via an email message. So, check your inbox.
6. Proceed to set up ExpressVPN on your device(s).
ExpressVPN gives you 5 simultaneous connections. So, think about the devices you'll use to stream YouTube TV. Then, set up the VPN on all those devices. Remember that you'll need to have ExpressVPN active in the background to watch YouTube outside the US.
7. Once you launch ExpressVPN's app, go through the initial setup.
8. Then, connect to a server. To do that, click the button below the ON/OFF switch.
9. After you select 'United States,' pick any server found in that country.
10. Wait until ExpressVPN's UI turns green, which means your connection is active.
11. Now, access YouTube TV on your device (via its app(s) or website).
That's it! As long as you're connected to a server in the US, YouTube TV will remain accessible. Also, since ExpressVPN comes with unlimited bandwidth, you can keep it active all the time, especially if you want to encrypt and safeguard your private data.
How to Watch YouTube TV Outside the US
If you're currently outside the United States, there's still a way to subscribe and access YouTube TV from abroad. This is a bit tricky workaround, but it should work without any issues. Go through the following steps.
The following method will ask you to buy a Play Store gift card, the only method available to subscribe to YouTube TV outside the US. You'll need to subscribe to YouTube TV on the Web first. After that, you can install its Android or iOS/iPadOS app.
1. Begin by subscribing to ExpressVPN using your Web browser.
2. Select 'Start Your Free Trial' once you find yourself on ExpressVPN's site.
3. Select a subscription plan (steep savings are found in long-term plans).
4. Then, finalize the procedure (add your email and pay for the chosen plan).
5. Once done, you'll be notified of your new subscription via email.
6. This is when you need to install ExpressVPN on your device(s).
You need to install and run ExpressVPN on all the devices you plan to use to stream YouTube TV. So, make sure to install this VPN app and then launch it. Go through its initial set-up and make sure the VPN is active for the rest of this procedure.
7. Now, proceed to buy a Google Play Store gift card (via Amazon). Keep in mind that you need to have enough funds for one full month of YouTube TV.
8. Then, redeem your gift card code via Play Store on the Web.
While redeeming your gift card, make sure that you're signed in to the Google account you'll use on your device to watch YouTube TV. To avoid any issues, that account should be associated with an address from the US. Therefore, consider creating a new Google account while running ExpressVPN in the background.
9. Now, proceed to sign up for YouTube TV (on your computer).
10. Enter your ZIP code (which should correspond to the area of the chosen server).
11. Pick your base plan, and pick any add-ons you want to use.
12. Review your subscription and choose to pay from your Play Store balance.
13. Click on 'Start Trial' to register your account and begin using YouTube TV.
15. To access YouTube TV on Android or iOS, launch ExpressVPN first.
16. Then, connect to a server in the United States, and open YouTube TV after that.
17. Log in using your newly created YouTube TV account. That's it!
Remember that you must have ExpressVPN active in the background if you want to stream YouTube TV. And also, make sure to connect to a server in the region that corresponds to the ZIP code you entered while signing up for YouTube TV.
What's the Best VPN to Watch YouTube TV While Traveling
The best YouTube TV VPN should have servers in the US. It also needs fast speeds so that you don't deal with buffering and quality drops. The VPN also needs high-end encryption and strong data leak protection so that your actual IP address doesn't leak to YouTube TV.
Based on those factors, these are the best 3 VPNs for watching YouTube TV while traveling:
- ExpressVPN - This is our #1 recommendation because this VPN provides consistent access to YouTube TV while traveling. Its fast speeds let us watch YouTube TV without buffering. Plus, when we skipped through videos, we didn’t have any quality drops. Also, ExpressVPN constantly rotates its IPs, so it's easier to find IPs that haven’t been banned.
- NordVPN - This VPN has great security features, including solid leak protection that keeps your real location hidden. With 2,000+ servers located in the US, we could unblock YouTube TV in 8 different states.
- CyberGhost VPN - This VPN has streaming-dedicated servers located in the US. So, we were always able to access YouTube TV. In addition, its super-fast speeds helped us avoid buffering, quality drops, and long loading screens.
Want to learn more about YouTube TV VPNs? Check out our best YouTube VPN article!
How Does a VPN Let You Watch YouTube TV Outside the USA?
A VPN lets you watch YouTube TV while traveling by making it look like you're in the US. In other words, a VPN gives you an American IP address, giving you access to US-based sites.
Basically, when you use a VPN server, it acts as a middleman between you and YouTube TV. Instead of your traffic heading directly to the site, it first stops by the VPN server. Overall, your connection will look like this:
You --> VPN Server --> YouTube TV
Because of that, YouTube TV will your connection request is coming from the VPN, not your device. Since connection requests contain IP addresses (among other data), YouTube TV will only see the VPN's IP address.
As long as the VPN server is from the US, the site will think you're communicating with it from a US IP. Since YouTube TV is available there, the website won't restrict your access with geo-blocks - and that's how you'll get to watch YouTube TV outside home area.
Can YouTube TV Block VPNs?
Yes, just like other streaming services, YouTube TV can block VPNs. So, the trick is to use a proven VPN that has the power to unblock YouTube TV outside home area.
The VPNs we listed in this article currently work with YouTube TV. However, the website might eventually block their IPs. Still, that shouldn't be a problem since these providers refresh their servers' IPs very often.
If you'd like some tips to lower the risk of seeing the VPN/proxy error, try this:
- Use a different VPN server.
- Use your browser's incognito/private mode.
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies before using YouTube TV with a VPN.
- Get a dedicated VPN IP.
How to Pay for YouTube TV Outside the US
You can only pay for YouTube TV with an American payment method. Based on that, here are some options to consider:
- Purchase a US-based gift card. You can get a US-based gift card from any online retailer (we recommend Amazon). Remember that you must also use a US address to sign up. Plus, you’ll need to be connected to your VPN in a region that matches the address you used. That’s because YouTube will verify the location on your device.
- Use a virtual credit card. The most popular one is StatesCard because it comes with a US billing address. You can sign up for it from anywhere and use it to subscribe to YouTube TV. Be aware that StatesCard will charge you a one-time fee and a monthly subscription.
Can You Subscribe to YouTube TV Outside the USA Using a PayPal Account?
If your PayPal is not set up in the US, YouTube TV won't let you use it. Also, you'll need to have a US-based payment method associated with your PayPal account.
So, why not register a new PayPal account while connected to the US server? Well, you can do that, but PayPal will ask for a valid US phone number.
What VPN Speeds Do You Need to Watch YouTube TV Outside the US?
Anything over 20-30 Mbps should be enough to let you stream YouTube TV. According to YouTube TV's support, these are the speeds you need to watch YouTube TV while traveling:
|Download Speed||Streaming Quality|
|13+ Mbps||HD streaming on multiple devices|
|7+ Mbps||HD streaming on a single device|
|3+ Mbps||SD streaming|
|Under 3Mbps||YouTube might load slowly|
Is YouTube TV Available Internationally?
No, YouTube TV is not available internationally; it’s only available in the United States.
That’s because every country has different companies that pay for the rights to air shows and movies in their region. YouTube TV lets you watch US television channels, and they only have the rights to air content in that country.
Can I Watch YouTube TV Outside of My Home Area?
Yes, you can watch YouTube TV outside home area - but only while using a VPN.
When you sign up for the service, you’re asked for a ZIP code, which becomes your home area. You can change this, but it’s only allowed twice a year.
When you travel to a different US state, you can watch the channels from your home area with a VPN. That’s because each region has different channels and different licensing agreements.
What Can You Watch on YouTube TV While Traveling Domestically?
While traveling domestically, YouTube TV will provide you with local networks for the location you're visiting (you can't record local programming outside of your home area), local sports programs, and sports programs from your home area if they're available in other regions.
Moreover, you will also get to access nationally available networks, including both live and on-demand programs, but since some networks have different versions for different time zones, you'll see the live version that matches your travel location. The best part is that you can also watch all your recorded programs from your home area once they've completed airing on live TV.
How to Access Other Region Channels on YouTube TV When You Are in Your Home Location
You can enjoy all the regional channels the YouTube TV streaming service offers in the United States if you use a VPN to change your IP address.
Open your chosen VPN app on your device, select a VPN server from the region where the desired TV network is available, and turn on the VPN.
Remember to do this first, before accessing the streaming platform. If you're doing this from a browser and it doesn't work, clear your cache and cookies and try again. Also, don't forget to turn off the VPN when you want to return to your local programming on YouTube TV.
Can You Watch YouTube TV in Multiple Locations at the Same Time?
To watch YouTube TV in multiple locations at the same time, you need to use a workaround to access different geo-specific programming at the same time, and the solution includes using a VPN to achieve your goal.
The first thing we should say is that you have 6 accounts included with this service, each with its own login, personalized content recommendations, and individual DVR library.
However, the service offers 3 streams that can run simultaneously on different devices (the 4K Plus add-on includes unlimited streams for an additional charge). ExpressVPN offers 5 simultaneous connections, so keep that in mind as well.
Here's more information based on which YouTube TV plan you currently use:
- If you have a standard YouTube TV membership, since 3 is the limit for simultaneous streams, open ExpressVPN on 3 devices, select the desired VPN servers on each and turn on the app everywhere. Now, open YouTube TV on each of these, and you will see the platform's content offering for the locations you selected on each device.
- If you have the 4K Plus add-on with unlimited streams, you will be able to watch YouTube TV in multiple locations at the same time, but up to 6 locations this time. We say 6 because you can turn on the VPN on 5 devices that show you the platform's content from other areas (since 5 is the number of simultaneous connections ExpressVPN offers), and the 6th device can show you the local programming, for which you don't need to use a VPN.
If it's on-demand content you're looking to unblock on YouTube TV while traveling abroad, know that the 4K Plus add-on allows you to save recordings from your Library to your phone or tablet so you can watch offline, so you can use this to your advantage.
Even though it’s restricted to the United States, you can use a VPN to watch YouTube TV from anywhere. However, most VPNs won’t work with the service, so you have to make sure you choose the right one.
We recommend using ExpressVPN to access YouTube TV while traveling. This VPN has 30+ server locations in the US, so you’ll always be able to unblock the service. Plus, it consistently gave us blazing-fast speeds. We didn’t notice buffering or long loading times – even when connected to distant servers.
Does YouTube TV Have International Channels?
Yes, YouTube TV has international channels but only as paid add-ons. You can choose between channels in Spanish, Hindi, Korean, and more.
Is YouTube TV Available in Canada?
No, YouTube TV is not available in Canada. However, if you’re in (or traveling to) Canada, you can use a VPN to access YouTube TV by connecting to a US server.
Can You Watch YouTube TV Outside the US with a VPN?
Yes, you can watch YouTube TV outside the US with a VPN.
If you want high-quality streams with zero buffering, along with constant access to your favorite YouTube TV channels, we recommend sticking to the VPNs recommended above.
Can You Watch YouTube TV in Different Locations?
Yes, you can watch YouTube TV from anywhere as long as you use a VPN with US servers.
How Do You Get Around YouTube TV Travel Restrictions?
You can get around YouTube TV travel restrictions by using a VPN. This tool lets you connect to a server in a different location, making it look like you’re accessing YouTube TV from a region where it’s available.
That would be all on how to watch YouTube TV while traveling. If you have any questions, let us know via the comments section below. Thanks for reading!