When it comes to unblocking and streaming Netflix, there’s no better solution than using ExpressVPN. That’s because of this VPN’s proven track record of being able to access this streaming platform, from anywhere in the world. However, just like with any software, problems can happen. Even then, there’s plenty you can do to find a solution.
TechNadu’s editorial team has plenty of experience using ExpressVPN. And even though this VPN works out-of-the-box and requires minimal user input, tips and tricks can help you become a power user. With this said, if ExpressVPN isn’t working with Netflix in your case, we’re here to offer the solution.
More precisely, there’s a series of steps to take to ensure that your Netflix streaming experience is uninterrupted. This ranges from checking whether your traffic is being routed correctly, optimizing ExpressVPN, learning how to pick the best server, and more.
And now, we’re ready to dive in. Here are all the 7 possible solutions to consider when ExpressVPN stops working with Netflix.
1. Check If ExpressVPN Is Routing Your Traffic Properly
Before going any deeper, it’s crucial to check whether ExpressVPN is routing your Web traffic. This will help you see whether there’s a problem with one of ExpressVPN’s servers, or perhaps there’s a problem with the application itself.
In other words, you will need to check your IP address. When correctly set up, ExpressVPN becomes one of the safest VPNs to use. Trust us; leaks are not something that’s associated with this VPN.
With this said, here’s how to check your IP address and related information.
- Once there’s an ExpressVPN connection active in the background, visit IPLeak.net via any Web browser (this applies to both desktop and mobile platforms).
- The website will automatically scan your IP. You will need to give it a few moments to finish the procedure.
- Now, scroll down until you see the ‘IP Details’ segment. This is where you’ll see the website’s report on your location, including your country, region, city, time zone, and more. Stop here for a moment to inspect this data carefully.
Based on the information you’re seeing on your screen right now, you can deduct whether ExpressVPN is routing your Internet traffic properly. There are two possible situations, as described below.
- If you see your actual (true) location, ExpressVPN hasn’t been set up correctly. We recommend reinstalling the application while making sure you’re using its default settings. Or you can contact ExpressVPN’s support team, saying that you’ve detected a leak and need instructions on how to fix this problem.
- If you see some other location, this means that ExpressVPN is routing your Web traffic properly. This means that the VPN is working as it should, but you need to optimize it further to unblock Netflix. The following steps will teach you more about this.
2. Use a Different ExpressVPN Server to Access Netflix
Perhaps the most important thing when trying to access Netflix is choosing a VPN server. Not every server (even when it comes to ExpressVPN) is the same. Therefore, you need to pick the one that works with Netflix, and this shouldn’t be an overly remote server.
As per the VPN’s documentation, you access Netflix and its libraries of the following countries: the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom. Quite often, Japan-based servers work as well, and there’s a possibility that you can access Netflix via more servers on occasion.
As you can see, ExpressVPN supports Netflix via its servers in many countries. Still, make sure to always keep in mind the list of countries mentioned above.
Which ExpressVPN Servers Work Best for Netflix?
Unlike other VPNs, ExpressVPN doesn’t offer specialized servers that are only used for Netflix. Instead, all of its servers come equipped with this ability – in countries where ExpressVPN allows you to visit its region-based library.
In other words, all of the servers found in the USA, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, and the UK will help you access Netflix. However, we do have to note that there’s a large number of servers in the United States, where it’s recommended to use servers located in New York and New Jersey.
Keep in mind that ExpressVPN comes with a hugely helpful customer support team. Once you get your subscription, you’re free to use a live-chat feature on ExpressVPN’s site, using which you can ask for the best server for Netflix at the moment.
How to Pick the Best VPN Server, Based on Your Location?
ExpressVPN comes with a handy tool that helps you find the best server based on your physical location. We’re talking about the ‘Speed Test’ tool, which comes built-in to the VPN application itself.
The main goal of this feature is to analyze all of ExpressVPN’s servers, and then show you several stats using which you can decide which server you should use. This is helpful as it gives you a tangible prediction of what kind of performance to expect, before connecting to a server.
We’ve explained how to use the ‘Speed Test’ tool in our guide to watching Netflix with ExpressVPN. Make sure to use the provided link to get to the guide, with each step explained in detail and accompanied by screenshots.
How to Use ExpressVPN to Connect to VPN Servers?
There are 4 ways to connect to a server using ExpressVPN – based on your needs and priorities. We’ve produced step-by-step guides, so check them out below.
1. Connect to Any ExpressVPN Server
This guide will show you how to select an ExpressVPN server manually. This means that you’ll open the VPN’s full library of servers, and select any – no matter its purpose or location.
- Launch ExpressVPN and wait until its home screen fully loads.
- Take a look at the prominent ON/OFF switch (which sits in the center of ExpressVPN’s interface). Below, you’ll see a button with a “three dots” icon. Click on it.
- This opens ExpressVPN’s full library of servers. You can choose from several tabs – but click on ‘All’ to fully expand this list of servers.
- Navigate to a continent of your choice, and you’ll see a list of countries.
- If you double-click on a country’s name, ExpressVPN will connect you to the fastest server in that particular country (based on your physical location).
- If you further expand any country’s servers, you’ll get to pick an individual server. Double-click on that server’s name and ExpressVPN will connect you.
2. Switch Between Different ExpressVPN Servers
When switching to a different server, you don’t have to disconnect first. Instead, when changing servers, ExpressVPN will disconnect you for a split second and reconnect you to a different server instantly. This prevents any possible leaks. So, here’s what to do.
- We’ll assume that you’ve connected to a server at this moment. Feel free to stay connected, as there’s no reason to disconnect for this procedure.
- Click on the “three dots” icon on the right-hand side of ExpressVPN’s interface.
- Now, find a new server to connect by filtering your list as per the three tabs you’ll see right now – Recommended, All, and Recent. Once you find a server, double-click on it.
- ExpressVPN will now automatically disconnect you from the previous server and connect you to the chosen one. This process typically takes only a few seconds to complete.
3. Use ExpressVPN’s ‘Smart Location’ Servers
When talking about ‘Smart Location’ servers, we’re talking about the servers closest to your location. When it comes to streaming Netflix, this is handy if you’re physically located in a country where ExpressVPN offers Netflix-ready servers.
Using ExpressVPN’s ‘Smart Location’ servers, you can avoid using the VPN’s ‘Speed Test’ tool. That’s because the VPN will automatically analyze your location and connect you to the fastest server, providing a very pleasurable Netflix streaming experience.
- Open ExpressVPN and take a look at its home page.
- If you’re not connected to a server, you’ll see the ‘Smart Location’ button on the home page. Use it to force ExpressVPN to connect you.
- Another way to get to a ‘Smart Location’ server is by clicking on the ‘three dots’ icon to open a page with all of ExpressVPN’s servers.
- Click on the ‘Recommended’ tab, and you’ll see the ‘Smart Location’ server based on your physical location. Double-click on that server to connect.
4. Create Your List of Favorite ExpressVPN Servers
If ExpressVPN stops working with Netflix via one server, it might work if you try a different server. This is why it’s smart to create a list of your favorite servers, so you can always switch between them. So, you need to do the following.
- Click on the ‘three dots’ icon on ExpressVPN’s home page.
- Now, browse the VPN’s servers using any of the three tabs you’ll see on your screen (Recommended, All, and Recent).
- Once you find fast-performing servers, click on the star-shaped icon on the right. You’ll find this same icon in the VPN’s ‘Speed Test’ tool, which is another way to create a list of favorites.
- Now, you’ll always have a list of Netflix-ready servers – available via the ‘Recent’ tab (visible once you click on the ‘three dots’ icon on the VPN’s home screen).
3. Try Using a Different VPN Protocol
Each VPN protocol comes with its strengths and weaknesses. And also, each of those works in a completely different way. With this said, even though their primary purpose is to secure your Internet connection, they also affect your Web connection’s performance.
If you plan on streaming Netflix, it’s always wise to pick a VPN that offers plenty of VPN protocols. And yes, ExpressVPN is a perfect choice here, so here’s how to switch between different protocols.
- Open ExpressVPN and wait until its home page appears on your screen.
- Then, click on the ‘hamburger’ button in the top-left corner.
- Make sure to click on ‘Preferences’ or ‘Settings’ to open the VPN’s settings panel.
- Click on the ‘Protocol’ tab.
- This is where you can switch between different protocols. You should first try with the OpenVPN protocol (UDP and TCP). Then, go ahead with IKEv2 and L2TP/IPsec.
- As you switch between different protocols, try logging-in to Netflix to test your efforts.
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers. However, not all protocols are enabled on all of those servers. For example, if you pick the L2TP/IPsec protocol, you’ll use a smaller number of servers. ExpressVPN will automatically adapt its server network based on the chosen protocol.
4. Force ExpressVPN to Rely on Its DNS Servers Only
By forcing ExpressVPN to use only its DNS servers to route your Web traffic, you get a helpful tool in your arsenal. This is one of the reasons why this VPN is so successful when streaming Netflix.
In other words, if ExpressVPN isn’t working with Netflix – you need to check whether you’re using the VPN’s DNS servers. This option comes enabled by default, but it’s also wise to re-check if it’s active. So, follow these steps:
- Launch ExpressVPN and click on the ‘hamburger’ menu.
- Select ‘Preferences’ or ‘Settings,’ depending on which ExpressVPN version you use.
- Now, make sure to select the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Take a look below, until you see a line saying ‘Only use ExpressVPN DNS servers while connected’ – and make sure this checkbox is enabled.
- When you connect to any of ExpressVPN’s servers, it automatically switches all of your Internet traffic through its DNS servers.
- This means you can now return to Netflix and try accessing the platform.
Don’t Forget to Flush Your DNS Cache!
Once you switch to ExpressVPN’s DNS servers, it’s good to flush your computer’s DNS cache. This is another step to ensure that this particular type of cache isn’t preventing ExpressVPN’s DNS servers from working correctly.
Flushing DNS cache memory can be done on any type of device, with Windows and macOS supported as well. So, here’s how to perform this operation on your computer.
How to Flush the DNS Cache on Windows?
The following guide works on all modern versions of Windows. This includes Windows 10, 8, and 8.1. So, here are the steps you need to take.
- Right-click on the ‘Start’ button (with the Windows logo).
- Select ‘Command Prompt (Admin).’
- A pop-up window will appear asking for your permission, so select ‘Yes.’
- You should now see your Command Prompt window, asking for a command.
- Now, you need to use a series of commands, while making sure you’re pressing the Enter key each time you enter a command.
- First, go with ‘ipconfig /flushdns,’ followed by ‘ipconfig /registerdns’ and ‘ipconfig /release.’ Finally, use the ‘ipconfig /renew’ and ‘netsh winsock reset.’
- Remember to press the Enter key between each of those, to apply the commands. Once done, restart your computer.
How to Flush the DNS Cache on macOS?
When it comes to flushing the DNS cache on Mac computers, we’ll provide the required commands for a range of macOS versions. So, let’s jump right in.
- Make sure that your Web browser is closed.
- Now, go to Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
- Once you open Terminal, you’ll need to use a command based on the version of macOS (OS X) you’re using. So, take a close look at the following bullet points.
- If you’re using OS X 10.10 and newer, go with the ‘sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcache’ command.
- If you’re using OS X 10.7 up to 10.9, use the ‘sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder’ command.
- And if you’re using OS X 10.6 or older, go with ‘sudo dscacheutil -flushcache.’
- Press the Enter key to apply your input and restart your Mac.
5. Disable or Fine-Tune Your Antivirus & Firewall
If you check our guide to the best antivirus software available right now, you’ll see that antivirus applications have become hugely powerful. These are typically no longer standalone applications. Instead, they come with all kinds of tools packed in a bundle.
We’re saying that if you’ve installed an antivirus application, you’re probably using its firewall feature as well. Unless you’ve made some optimizations, there’s a chance that your antivirus or firewall might be blocking ExpressVPN.
To see whether this is the case on your device, we recommend disabling your antivirus, firewall, or any similar software you might be using.
If this resolves your issue, you need to make specific changes to your anti-malware software. For further information, we recommend talking to your anti-malware vendor’s support team. However, you’ll need to do the following.
- Lower the security level of your antivirus from ‘High’ to ‘Medium.’
- If you have a firewall, grant exception to ExpressVPN or UDP ports 1194-1204.
6. Update ExpressVPN to the Latest Available Version
Keep in mind that ExpressVPN is a frequently-updated VPN service – with updates for ExpressVPN’s apps being released on a monthly basis. To make sure you’re protected properly and to ensure smooth Netflix streaming, you should keep your VPN up-to-date at all times.
How to Update ExpressVPN?
ExpressVPN can be updated from within its applications. The app checks for a new version upon each launch. If there’s an update available, you’ll see a notification at the top of the app’s interface.
- So, make sure to launch ExpressVPN and wait for up to 10 seconds.
- The app will now automatically check for a new version by connecting to its server.
- If there’s an update available, click on the notification at the top of the VPN’s UI.
- This will open your Web browser, and the latest version of ExpressVPN’s installer will start to download. Your Web browser might ask for your permission to download the file.
- Once the file is on your device, double-click to open it. Then, go through the installation procedure as you normally would. Once done, you’ll be using the latest ExpressVPN version.
How to Reinstall ExpressVPN?
If ExpressVPN is failing to access Netflix, there’s no need to wait for an update. You can try to reinstall the VPN as this could resolve connectivity-related problems. So, do the following.
- Using your Web browser, go to ExpressVPN’s website.
- Click on ‘My Account’ to log-in to your account. This will open your account’s online dashboard.
- Look at the right side of the page, where you’ll see a long list of platforms (within the ‘Set Up Your Devices’ card). Click on the platform of your choice.
- Then, download ExpressVPN by clicking on the Download button. When you have the file, double-click to reinstall ExpressVPN. Go through the procedure you’ll see on your screen.
- If you’ve previously uninstalled the VPN, you’ll be asked for your ExpressVPN activation code to log in. Click on the provided link to learn how to obtain your activation code.
7. If Nothing Else Helps, Contact ExpressVPN’s Support
Finally, if ExpressVPN still isn’t working with Netflix – you should resort to contacting the VPN’s customer support team. You’ll be surprised by how helpful ExpressVPN’s support team is, often responding within a few hours.
To resolve your issue as quickly as possible, we’ll provide a few useful tips and guides. The trick here is to supply ExpressVPN’s diagnostic information as soon as possible, so you can avoid wasting precious time. With this said, check out the following guides.
How to Send ExpressVPN’s Diagnostic Data on Windows/Mac?
- Launch ExpressVPN and click on the ‘hamburger’ button (top-left corner).
- Navigate to Help & Support > Diagnostic Information.
- You can now click on the ‘Contact Support’ button, which will open a new window. Make sure to describe the problem you’re experiencing as clearly as possible.
- Once you send the message, your diagnostic data will be uploaded as well.
- Expect to receive a reply to the email address registered with your ExpressVPN account.
- You can also rely on ExpressVPN’s live-chat support (via its website). For this purpose, make sure to locally save your diagnostic information using the ‘Save to File’ button instead of ‘Contact Support’ (on you go to Help & Support > Diagnostic Information).
How to Send ExpressVPN’s Diagnostic Data on Android/iOS?
- Depending on your version of ExpressVPN, tap on ‘Options’ or the ‘hamburger’ icon.
- Then, tap on ‘Help & Support.’
- You now have two options – ‘Email Us’ or ‘Contact Support.’ No matter what you pick, you’ll get to write a message and send your diagnostic information along the way.
- Finally, wait for a response from the ExpressVPN’s support team.
This is where we conclude our list of the possible resolutions to the ‘ExpressVPN not working with Netflix’ problem. If you have any questions, make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section below. And of course, don’t forget to share this article online – if you think it might help other ExpressVPN users. Thanks!