July 22, 2023
Google Chromecast devices come in various shapes and formats, which means you'll need to think of a personal approach to how you'll set up NordVPN. That said, you can set up NordVPN on Chromecast with Google TV by installing its app, which is the simplest method available.
If you have an older Chromecast (without Google TV), you have two options at your disposal. You can set up NordVPN on a router, allowing you to use your VPN connection on your Chromecast. Or you can share NordVPN from your PC by turning it into a virtual router.
To set up NordVPN on Chromecast, you first need to know whether you have one with Google TV (the latest model) or an older model. Based on that, these are your options:
Your Chromecast with Google TV gives you access to the Play Store, which makes it easy to install NordVPN. Just follow these steps:
1. Sign up for NordVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
2. On your Chromecast with Google TV, navigate to 'Play Store.' Search for NordVPN, pick its icon, and then click 'Get' or 'Install.'
3. Launch the VPN, select 'Log In' and type in your credentials.
4. The app will now ask for your permission, as NordVPN needs to add VPN profiles to your Chromecast (this is a one-time prompt). Go ahead with 'OK.'
5. You're now free to connect to a server. Click 'Connect Now' to connect to the nearest server, or scroll down to 'All Countries' to pick a server manually. That's it!
By setting up NordVPN on a router, you'll create a single VPN-protected Wi-Fi network. That's how NordVPN's features will extend to your Chromecast - like so:
1. Get your NordVPN subscription using your computer and any Web browser.
2. Next, set up NordVPN on your router. The link we provided takes you to our central guide, which covers a range of VPN-ready router brands.
3. Check if your Chromecast uses your home Wi-Fi connection. Do this by opening the Google Home app on your smartphone and picking your Chromecast.
4. You can now stream any type of online content on your phone, computer, or tablet and then use your Chromecast to watch that content on your large-screen TV. That's it!
Another way to use NordVPN with your Chromecast is to install it on your PC. Then, you'll share NordVPN's connection by turning your PC into a virtual router. Here's how that's done:
2. Install NordVPN on your PC - and make sure that you use its native app. Then, open the app, log in, and feel free to connect to a VPN server.
3. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot, where you need to flip the switch to enable this feature on your Windows PC.
4. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Change Adapter Options, right-click on the adapter installed by NordVPN, and pick 'Properties.' If you can't find NordVPN's adapter, make sure to open the app and connect to any VPN server.
5. Click on the 'Sharing' tab and check the box next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection." You'll also need to select the hotspot you just created and confirm by clicking 'OK.'
6. Make sure that your device with the Google Home app installed is connected to your newly created Wi-Fi network. Your Chromecast will join automatically too. That's it!
As you can see, there are multiple ways to set up NordVPN on Chromecast. If you have one with Google TV, there's no need for a workaround - as NordVPN has a native app. However, even if you have an older Chromecast, the process of running NordVPN on a physical/virtual router isn't too complex.
Advanced users will also want to know other ways to set up NordVPN on all their devices. So, use the provided link, and you'll find yourself reading our guide that covers dozens of devices and platforms supported by this VPN.
That’s all! Now you know how to set up and use NordVPN on Chromecast. If you have further queries, drop us a comment through the button below. Thanks for reading!