pfSense has been serving different personal and SMEs' Wi-Fi requirements for the past few decades. Yes, be it your home or office, having this firewall cum router software ensures continuous internet access to all your connected devices. But a stable network doesn't ensure online security until you’re using a VPN on your pfSense router.
But every VPN service available on the web is not suitable for pfSense. Especially because the way this open-source firewall allows you to create subnets and install add-ons for customization, it’s difficult for any random VPN service to provide coverage for such an advanced network connection that also on a large number of devices.
Fortunately, a few premium services are available that allow you to configure their VPNs on pfSense routers. You can access the internet safely on all your connected devices with absolutely zero downtime. Have a look below.
Best VPN for pfSense
You might know pfSense allows you to add only OpenVPN clients of the VPNs. So, you need to subscribe to a VPN that will offer OpenVPN configuration for your pfSense router. We’ve researched and tested 60+ VPN services that claim to render pfSense support.
And finally, we’re ready to share our list of 5 best VPNs for pfSense and pick one to secure your home or office network right away.
- ExpressVPN - Overall Best VPN for pfSense
- NordVPN - Most Secure VPN for pfSense
- Surfshark VPN - Offers Bare-Metal Servers
- PureVPN - Most Featureful VPN for pfSense
- PIA VPN - Owns the Largest Server Network
1. ExpressVPN - Overall Best VPN for pfSense
|Try Risk-Free|| |
ExpressVPN is our top pick because of the reach and online security it provides. With thousands of servers in 94 countries, this VPN can help you acquire a virtual IP address of any location on your pfSense router. These servers are specially optimized for streaming, gaming, and rendering support to P2P traffic.
Moreover, ExpressVPN uses AES-256 bit encryption keys to make your traffic data unreadable to third parties. Its OpenVPN protocol works perfectly fine to give your online traffic a safe passage. Hence, your ISP can’t ever throttle your connection no matter how extensively you’re using the internet on how many devices. Take a look at our ExpressVPN review to explore its other services.
2. NordVPN - Most Secure VPN for pfSense
Panama-based NordVPN is one of the technologically advanced services available on the market at present. It has servers in 60 countries that offer high speed and unlimited bandwidth to help you stream or game without any lag. In addition to that, NordVPN offers specialty servers to help you connect through different security modes and unblock overseas content smoothly.
It also uses military-grade encryption to protect your online traffic. The best part is that NordVPN suggests you the best server in your preferred location according to the user load, ping time, and distance from your physical location. So, you can easily get the server address while downloading the OpenVPN file for your pfSense. Our NordVPN review comprises further details about its features and offerings. Go through now.
3. Surfshark VPN - Offers Bare-Metal Servers
Surfshark is another premium VPN that renders top-quality services worldwide. It owns a large server network covering 65+ countries. So, you can get a virtual IP of any location to use it on your pfSense and unblock the content of that region on your different devices. Just like the other VPNs on this list, Surfshark also has no data cap, and it ensures a buffer-free internet experience.
Alongside that, all Surfshark VPN servers are bare-metal, which means no third party will ever have access to your browsing details. In fact, Surfshark itself won’t know what you’re doing online as it follows a strict no-log policy, and all of its servers are RAM-only. Moreover, this VPN uses AES-256 bit keys for data encryption. So you get complete anonymity on all of your devices after configuring its OpenVPN client on your router. But, before you go for the subscription, check out our full review for a better understanding of its services.
4. PureVPN - Most Featureful VPN for pfSense
If any VPN service can truly complement the comprehensive list of network customization features of pfSense, it’s PureVPN. From dedicated IP to DDoS protection and port forwarding, there are a handful of add-ons to consider when it comes to securing your online identity in the best possible way. The only downside is that all these add-ons are paid.
However, that must not restrict you from accessing its thousands of servers in 78+ countries. Even if you’re not going for any feature addition, PureVPN has a plethora of services under its subscription plan only that ensure impenetrable online security. Yes, it uses the highest-standard encryption protocol to safeguard your incoming and outgoing traffic to your router. Read our complete PureVPN review to learn about its money-back plan.
5. Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN - Owns the Largest Server Network
We’ll end our list with the US-based reputed service, PIA VPN. It’s the only one on this list that comes with 35,000+ servers in a total of 84 countries. This huge server network allows you to find an IP from any corner of the world and bypass geo-blocks by configuring the OpenVPN client on your pfSense router.
All PIA VPN servers are specially designed to render speed and security for various needs like browsing, streaming, gaming, and torrenting. You can always find a low latency server with less than 20ms ping to connect your router and enjoy unlimited usage on all of your devices. PIA VPN offers two different security levels, i.e., AES-128 and 256-bit encryption protocols. You can choose one for your router depending on how strong security you need according to your requirements. If you want to know more about PIA VPN, check our complete review.
Why Do You Need a VPN for pfSense?
If you want compact online security and easy access to content from other countries on your multiple devices, you'll need to configure a VPN on your pfSense router.
Different organizations use VPNs to manage overseas businesses. In that case, using a VPN on a router is much more effective than installing it on individual devices that all the employees are using.
And, when it comes to the home network, configuring a VPN on your pfSense router will help you access region-locked games, movies, videos, TV shows, and more on your VPN client app, non-supported gadgets like PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, smart TVs, and other streaming/gaming devices.
Moreover, VPNs provide top-standard online security, privacy, and anonymity that any privacy-conscious person would like to have on all internet-supported devices. And, using a VPN on your pfSense is the best possible way to get that.
Alongside, some premium pfSense VPNs come with extra security features like a network kill switch, anti-malware support, and DNS and IP leak protection. Once you subscribe to such a VPN, all of your devices will be protected against identity leaks at the time of sudden connection drops.
Not only that, but a pfSense VPN also offers complete protection against DDoS attacks, any type of hacking attempts, and identity theft. So, once you get started with such a VPN, you can browse freely without thinking about the snoopers on the web.
How Do I Connect to pfSense VPN?
- First, choose a VPN from the above list (we recommend ExpressVPN; sign up with its 30-day trial).
- Next, visit its official website and get started with your preferred subscription plan.
- Once your purchase is confirmed, go back to the official website and log into your online account dashboard.
- From there, you have to download the OpenVPN configuration file for your desired server provided by the VPN service you’ve subscribed to.
- Next, visit your pfSense dashboard and navigate to System.
- Click Certification Manager next and go to the CAs tab.
- You have to click the +Add option next and input the required Certificate Authority information as mentioned in the OVPN config. file.
- Once you enter all the details, click Save and move to VPN> OpenVPN> Clients, and hit the +Add button.
- Next, fill the General Information page as per your network preferences and move to the User Authentication Settings.
- Here, you need to fill in the details as mentioned on your VPN provider’s website.
- After that, configure the Cryptographic Settings, Tunnel Settings, and Advanced Configuration page.
- Once done, you need to route WAN through the VPN tunnel; for that, navigate to Interfaces> Assignments> +Add.
- Now, add a new interface for the VPN you're using and edit its General Information next.
- When done, click Save and move to Services> DNS Resolver> General Settings.
- Fill in the required information and check all the Advanced Privacy Options and Advanced Resolver Options.
- Next, navigate to Firewall> NAT> Outbound> Edit.
- Enter the required details in the Edit Advanced Outbound NAT Entry page and Save the changes.
- Now, move to Firewall> Rules> LAN and update the details.
- When done, go to System> General Setup and fill in the server information.
- Finally, your VPN connection will be established, and you can check its status by following Status> OpenVPN. If the status says ‘up,’ you’re all set to get started with a VPN on pfSense.
This setup process slightly varies for each VPN provider we’ve mentioned here. You’re advised to check the individual installation guides mentioned below to find out the exact method you need to perform. However, you must follow the guide suitable for the VPN you’re using.
Can pfSense Run a VPN?
Yes, pfSense can definitely run a VPN. But, there are very few services that render support for pfSense firmware or routers. That’s why you must choose a VPN provided on the above list and check the right installation guide to configure it on your pfSense router. Using a VPN with pfSense is the best possible way to ensure online security on all of your devices simultaneously.
Should I Use a Free VPN on pfSense?
No, you must not use a free VPN on pfSense. In fact, most of the free VPN services don’t render support for routers. Even if some do, trusting such a service with your complete personal or organizational data won’t be a wise decision. It’s especially because the majority of the free VPNs are infamous for logging user data and selling it to third parties as per their monetization policy.
It makes your data vulnerable, and complete browsing details of all the connected devices may face potential threats when a free VPN is installed on your pfSense. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t try a VPN without spending any bucks. Well, premium VPN services providers like ExpressVPN come with a risk-free trial period to ensure user satisfaction before they actually pay for the services.
Which VPN is the Best for pfSense?
ExpressVPN is the best among all the VPN services present in the market these days. You can configure the OpenVPN client of ExpressVPN on pfSense and safeguard all your devices at once. This VPN has thousands of specially optimized servers in 94 countries that help you get IPs from multiple locations and unblock any website and app you want. Also, ExpressVPN’s military-grade encryption ensures maximum online privacy. Yes, with this VPN, your ISP can’t even read the data usage to throttle your connection.
That’s all! Now you know about the best VPN services available for pfSense. Pick the one suitable to your requirements and get started. If you’ve further queries, drop us a comment through the below button. Thanks for reading!