If you're using DD-WRT firmware on your router, there are two ways to use NordVPN with it. Either you can use the VPN through the FlashRouter (FR) privacy app or configure the OpenVPN client on it. We've discussed both of the processes here. So have a look below to know how to set up and use NordVPN on DD-WRT firmware. Let's start!
1. First, visit the NordVPN website.
2. Next, click the Grab the Deal button and choose a VPN subscription on the upcoming page.
3. Enter your payment details next to complete your purchase.
4. Wait for a confirmation on your subscription.
5. Once you get that, follow one of the dedicated processes mentioned below.
1. Configure NordVPN on DD-WRT through FlashRouters Privacy App
Before you start with the step-by-step process, make sure your DD-WRT firmware is updated to its latest build version. However, the minimum DD-WRT firmware build version required to run FR Privacy App is 02-10-2020-r42335. Here we've provided the list of supported routers; if you use anyone from the below list, start with the installation process.
- Asus RT-AC5300
- Asus RT-AC56U
- Asus RT-AC66U
- Asus RT-AC68U
- Netgear R6300v2
- Netgear R6400v2
- Netgear R7000
- Netgear R7800
- Netgear R8000
- Netgear R8500
- Netgear R9000
- Linksys WRT1200AC
- Linksys WRT1900AC
- Linksys WRT1900ACv2
- Linksys WRT1900ACS
- Linksys WRT3200ACM
- Linksys WRT32X
If you're still not sure about your router, contact FlashRouter support.
1. First, connect your router to the internet and go to Administration.
2. Next, choose Commands and enter the following line.
curl --silent --retry 3 https://api.flashroutersapp.com/api/v1.0/ddwrt/group/privacy/provider/NordVPN/install | sh
3. Click the Run Commands option after that.
4. You'll get an installation successful message now.
5. Visit flashroutersapp.com now.
6. Now, go to DD-WRT settings and find Status.
7. Choose MyPage after that.
8. Now, navigate to the Connect page on your FlashRouters App and type in your username and password.
9. Then, select your preferred NordVPN server and click Connect.
2. Set Up the OpenVPN Client for NordVPN on Your DD-WRT Router
This process will help you get an OpenVPN connection on your DD-WRT firmware-based router through OpenVPN client UI.
1. First, visit the DD-WRT Administrative Interface and log in with the right credentials.
2. Then, navigate to Setup> Basic Setup.
3. Now, go to Network Address Server Settings and set the NordVPN DNS addresses as follows-
- Static DNS 1: 126.96.36.199
- Static DNS 2: 188.8.131.52
- Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0 (default)
4. Next, check the boxes right beside Use DNSMasq for DHCP, Use DNSMasq for DNS, and DHCP-Authoritative.
5. Then, click the Save button and Apply Settings next.
6. Now, navigate to Setup, and choose IPv6.
7. Next, Disable IPv6 and click Save, then Apply Settings.
8. Navigate to Service and choose VPN.
9. Now, under OpenVPN Client, Enable the Start OpenVPN Client option.
10. Enter the following details now-
- Server IP: As suggested here, you can choose your preferred location also.
Download the associated configuration file (.ovpn) here as you will need it later. You can do that by selecting Show available protocols and downloading the TCP or UDP file.
- Port: 1194 (or choose 443 for the TCP protocol)
- Tunnel Device: TUN
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP (or TCP)
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256-CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA-512
- User Pass Authentication: Enable
- Username, Password: NordVPN service credentials as shown in your online account dashboard
- First Data Cipher: Not set
- Second Data Cipher: Not set
- Third Data Cipher: Not set
- Advanced Options: Enable
- TLS Cipher: None
- LZO Compression: Disable
- NAT: Enable
11. Leave the other options at their default values.
12. Now, navigate to the Additional Config box and enter the below command.
remote-cert-tls server remote-random nobind tun-mtu 1500 tun-mtu-extra 32 mssfix 1450 persist-key persist-tun ping-timer-rem reneg-sec 0 #log /tmp/vpn.log #Delete #auth-user-pass /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf
13. Next, open the .ovpn file with a text editor you've downloaded earlier; use WordPad or Notepad++ for the correct formatting.
14. Now, copy the section from BEGIN CERTIFICATE to END CERTIFICATE.
15. Paste this entire content to the CA Cert file after that.
16. Once done, move to the configuration file and copy the TLS key section under <tls-auth>.
17. Next, paste the entire content into the TLS Auth Key and ensure the entire text gets pasted from BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1 to END OpenVPN Static key V1.
18. Then, click Save and choose Apply Settings.
19. As soon as you do that, you will get the message ‘Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS’ under the State tab.
20. Finally, you can use your DD-WRT router with the OpenVPN client of NordVPN.
That’s all! Now you know about all the processes of setting up and using NordVPN on DD-WRT. If you have further queries, drop us a comment through the below button. Also, if you face difficulties while performing the steps, connect with us through the same button. Thanks for reading!