April 28, 2022
Xbox consoles don't support VPN applications, which means you can't install NordVPN directly on your device. Instead, you have three options available, where the easiest option is to set up NordVPN's SmartDNS on your Xbox, letting you unblock new streaming content.
If you plan to use a VPN for gaming (for example, to minimize ping or access bot lobbies), you can set up NordVPN on a router and then connect your Xbox to that VPN-protected network. Also, you can share NordVPN from your Windows PC by turning your computer into a router.
As briefly explained above, there are 3 ways to set up NordVPN on Xbox consoles. So, before you jump in, let's review the available options:
By using SmartDNS, you'll route your traffic through NordVPN's servers but without encryption. As such, this is a good way to unblock US-based streaming services on your Xbox, but it's not the best option for gaming. That said, here's what to do:
1. Sign up for NordVPN using your computer and any Web browser.
2. Make sure that your Xbox and your computer belong to the same Wi-Fi network, such as your home network. In other words, the devices must be connected to the same network.
3. Return to NordVPN's website and pick 'Log In' using its main menu. You'll need to provide your credentials to access your Nord Account dashboard.
4. Using the left-placed sidebar, click 'NordVPN.' On the right, there will be a section labeled 'SmartDNS.' Select 'Enable' and follow the prompts on your screen.
5. It'll take a minute for NordVPN to activate its SmartDNS for your IP address. You can proceed once you see your primary and secondary DNS on your Nord Account dashboard.
6. On your Xbox, go to Settings > General > Network Settings.
7. Under 'Set Up Wireless Network,' pick 'Advanced Settings.'
8. Go to DNS Settings > Manual, and then enter your primary SmartDNS address.
9. To confirm the entry, press the menu button (=) on your gamepad. You'll need to input the secondary DNS address as well. Then, save your changes. That's it!
By setting up NordVPN on a router, you can protect all your Web-connected devices at once. So, if you connect your Xbox to your router, you'll create a VPN-protected connection. To make that happen, you'll need to do the following:
1. Get your NordVPN subscription using your computer and a Web browser.
2. You now need to set up NordVPN on your router (the provided link will take you to our central guide that covers various router firmware types and router brands/manufacturers).
3. On your Xbox, go to Settings > General > Network Settings.
4. Pick 'Set Up Wireless Network' and follow the instructions you'll see on your screen.
5. Once you connect your Xbox, return to its home screen and launch any game. From this moment on, your traffic will flow through the server location set on your router.
Another way to set up NordVPN on Xbox consoles is to share your VPN connection from a PC. This is a good alternative if you don't have a VPN router. Go through the following steps:
1. Subscribe to NordVPN using your Windows PC and any Web browser.
2. Set up NordVPN on your Windows PC by downloading and installing its native software (note that you must use the NordVPN app instead of configuring it manually).
3. On your PC, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot and flip the switch you'll see there to enable your mobile hotspot.
4. Then, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Change Adapter Options, right-click on the adapter installed by NordVPN, and choose 'Properties.' If you don't see one, make sure that you're logged in to NordVPN and that you've connected to any VPN server at least once.
5. Move to the Sharing tab and enable 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection.' From the dropdown menu, select the hotspot that you just created. Click 'OK.'
6. Go to your Xbox and choose Settings > General > Network Settings > Set Up Wireless Network and connect to your newly created VPN Wi-Fi network. That's it!
Despite the lack of support for VPNs, there are several viable methods to run NordVPN on Xbox consoles. Among those, NordVPN's SmartDNS is the easiest option, great for media streaming. And if you wish to use the VPN for gaming, the best option is to set it up on your router and extend its protection to all your devices at once.
Once you see the benefits of running NordVPN on your Xbox, you'll want the same on your other devices. Luckily, this VPN supports 6 simultaneous connections, so check our central guide on how to set up NordVPN - covering dozens of different platforms.
Yes, NordVPN works on Xbox consoles, even though you can't install and run its app natively, which applies to all other VPNs as well. You'll need to use a workaround to join a VPN-protected network from your console.
You can use NordVPN on your Xbox in several ways - via its SmartDNS, by installing the VPN on your router, or by sharing your NordVPN connection from a Windows PC.
No, NordVPN isn't free on Xbox consoles. You'll need an active subscription before you set it up and connect to any of its VPN servers.
That's all! Now you know how to set up and use NordVPN on your Xbox. If you have further queries, drop us a comment through the button below. Thanks for reading!