If you're using an ASUS router running on AsusWRT-Merlin firmware, you can configure the OpenVPN client of NordVPN on it. Here we've provided a step-by-step guide on how to set up and use NordVPN on AsusWRT-Merlin firmware. Have a look and secure all the devices you own simultaneously.
1. First, visit the NordVPN website.
2. Next, click the Grab the Deal button and choose a subscription on the upcoming page.
3. Now, enter your payment details and complete your purchase.
4. Once you get a confirmation on your subscription, sign in to the control panel of your router by visiting this IP- 192.168.1.1 from your browser.
5. After you Sign in, choose VPN from the left pane.
6. Next, navigate to the VPN Client tab and choose OpenVPN Client Settings.
7. In this tab, you've to upload the .ovpn file containing the OpenVPN configuration for the server you want to connect to.
8. To download this file, first visit this link; then, choose your preferred server location.
9. Next, click Show available protocols right under the server name.
10. From the drop-down, pick OpenVPN UDP or TCP and hit the Download config button next to it to have the .ovpn file locally.
11. Now, go back to the OpenVPN Client Settings page on your router's control panel and click the Choose File option.
12. After that, Open the .ovpn file.
13. Next, click Upload.
14. The page will refresh now with your OpenVPN client information.
15. You have to enter your Username and Password next, which is not the regular one you're using with your Nord Account.
16. You can find and copy the NordVPN service credentials from your online account dashboard under the Advanced configuration tab.
17. Then, set the Accept DNS Configuration option to strict.
18. Move on to the Custom Configuration window next and enter the below text-
remote-cert-tls server remote-random nobind tun-mtu 1500 tun-mtu-extra 32 mssfix 1450 persist-key persist-tun ping-timer-rem reneg-sec 0 #log /tmp/vpn.log
19. Now configure NordVPN's DNS settings; for that, click WAN from the left-pane first.
20. Then, navigate to the Connect to DNS Server automatically section and select No.
21. Next, fill NordVPN's DNS servers as mentioned below-
22. Click Apply from the bottom of that page next and wait for a few seconds to apply the changes.
23. Finally, your status will turn connected; you can look for the green ON button under the Service state of the VPN Client tab to confirm that.
That's all! Now you know how to set up and use NordVPN on AsusWRT-Merlin firmware-based routers. If you have further queries, drop us a comment through the below button. Thanks for reading!